Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3814 3815 [3816] 3817 3818 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5859702 times)

some person i guess

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57225 on: April 04, 2023, 03:30:20 pm »

started an island fort in a savage ocean to try and see if i could find any (slightly modded, for the sake of hopefully surviving on land) whale people. no luck on that so far (it hasn't been very long, we've only been here a little over a year). considered trying an arctic embark for the chance at some narwhals, but the place that felt most interesting to me was in a tropical ocean so that's not happening. kinda wondering if i didn't include enough ocean in the embark, since what i do have isn't especially deep (only a few z levels).

but i was talking to a friend of mine about the whole whale people quest and explaining how animal people work, and that got me thinking:

this is actually a fairly big island. big enough that there's actually a couple of other sites on the other side of it. two abandoned elven retreats. they're actually part of why i chose this island over an arctic retreat, i'm really curious about what happened over there. haven't sent anyone to investigate yet (been too busy taking care of other things to train up a proper military to deal with whatever killed those elves), but the world map says there's "no civilized population". part of me wants to check legends mode, but i'm holding myself back so i don't ruin the surprise. more fun this way.

but now i'm curious about something (that's probably extremely unlikely to actually happen, but we'll see).

i haven't found any caverns yet, but eventually i'll stumble into them. and when that happens, i'm likely gonna have to deal with some animal people. if i avoid them long enough (try and keep my dwarves out of sections of the cave i know they're likely to be and whatever else i can figure out to minimize unnecessary deaths), will murders eventually happen between the animal people?
and if so, is there a possibility that the exiled murderers might wander into my fort?
and if so, if i drive enough exiled murderers and/or tavern visitors onto the surface and away from my fort over many many years, will they eventually be able to stumble their way into those abandoned forest retreats, claim them as their own, and make an aboveground subterranean animal person civilization?

like. this probably isn't something that's ever gonna actually work. but i wanna know if it's feasibly possible. because it'd be neat (and sorta funny if they end up being cave swallows or bats).

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #57226 on: April 08, 2023, 09:14:35 am »

Still on 0.47 waiting for the classic control scheme to be done for the new version. Anyway, I carved out another underground grazing spot in a fort besieged by undead when I spotted a peculiar amalgam of alabaster and anhydrite. A good omen, perhaps.

you and me both, brother. even after digesting the new UI to a functional state, the premium version has too many issues to play fluidly..

Me three, brothers... 0.47.05 still rules.

My first fort to ever reach 500+ citizens  :)  at 5-7 FPS still playable.
Gravearmor lives on at almost 50 years running and 88 migration waves.
One of the 7 dwarves lives on as the 121 y/o captain of the guard.

ayyyy  ;D Yeah, the UI is very interesting, but mouse controls surprisingly make designations and building even more cumbersome for me.

500 dwarves is insane! I wish I had the patience to keep playing a single fortress for that long. What have you been doing with Gravearmor for 50 years?
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57227 on: April 08, 2023, 06:52:54 pm »

ayyyy  ;D Yeah, the UI is very interesting, but mouse controls surprisingly make designations and building even more cumbersome for me.

500 dwarves is insane! I wish I had the patience to keep playing a single fortress for that long. What have you been doing with Gravearmor for 50 years?

Nothing groundbreaking (lol), it's a 5x5 embark with a corner that is reanimating with poison gas.  There's a circular surface castle that has grown over the years.  The first cave level has been partially excavated to have a 10z high ceiling and I try to leave/make pillars every 5 tiles for support everywhere.  Every citizen that's not a miner/woodcutter has some steel armor and is well-trained.  At this point, it's low-key mining & construction... expanding the cave area and digging a natural shaft up to the surface. The fort's kind of a time-passing exercise for me while the population grows, trying to keep the FPS up by cleaning clutter, etc.

If you have the patience, I've posted about it here with the more exciting points and a few pics since about fort year 23, IIRC.  Thanks for the interest   :)
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #57228 on: April 10, 2023, 06:19:49 pm »

I like the circular architecture of Gravearmor:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15096.msg8365785#msg8365785
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15096.msg8326927#msg8326927
Edit: There are likely more images, but I've so far been unable to use the search function on this forum.

...So I modded sasquatches to spawn in groups of 50, had to lock down the fort to protect the dwarven caravan.  They didn't seem to be leaving the map, so I opened the side entry and sent out the 4 newly trained dwarves, 3 of which were fully armored.  The militia commander immediately charged into the river and drowned.  Then the entire fort rushed outside into the fray because, as it turns out, I had ran out of booze, and had a 1 tile water source right at the river behind the sasquatch herd.  Many ill-equipped dwarves died, announcements trailed off, and I'm not sure if the caravan made it away safely or not.

Spoiler: Carnage (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 06:22:05 pm by Schmaven »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57229 on: April 10, 2023, 06:28:22 pm »

My Steam settlement had some good and bad luck.  A massive amount of migrants showed and more than tripled my populace.  Put a dent in our food and drink but we had a ton of it due to my fear of starving.  Though this gives us all the laborers we now need I still have bottlenecks.

So we needed to expand our bedrooms.  We already have a small library, a small windmill, a ‘greenhouse’ for above surface plants, and a tavern nobody seems to use.  I may need to cut down on the orders and let people socialize.  We also have a dungeon but no crime.  Yet. 

We have two squads who seem to train even when I tell them to stop.

And one of our Doctors decided to die via tree.  Climbed a tree and never came down.  Or they took his stepladder.  I don't know.  I ordered more to be made.  Put up a memorial slab for him in one of the empty tombs until we have his coffin installed.  DID have to forbid the other slabs to get the one I wanted because I don’t know how to select the memorial slab….maybe I will figure it out later.

And one dwarf did claim a workshop in a 'mood' but we had everything it needed.  So no harm.

Still, starting to figure out the controls and decided to window the game so I can pop in and out to record images and write notes.  It is starting to grow on me but I would still like it to record the announcements in some kind of timeline.  That would be nice.  It is too easy to dismiss things and if I ever decide to write a story using steam I need announcements to stick around.

Still the graphics are nice and I like the background sounds.  Almost ASMR in some ways. 
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

TheElfieBoy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57230 on: April 10, 2023, 08:58:32 pm »

The Baron's wife kept getting into the sealed cavern and although she became a legendary wrestler over time, she finally died in there due to a rather large number of cave swallow men that I've been at war with. I'm not really sure how she survived so long, and after the second time she even had trauma over seeing her own dead body even though she didn't die. Also some merchants and the outpost liason got lost in my labrynth and went mad.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57231 on: April 12, 2023, 08:49:44 am »

Also some merchants and the outpost liason got lost in my labrynth and went mad.

Once some merchants decided to exit my settlement via the caverns.  Don't know why.  There wasn't a seige or any thing blocking the ramps to the surface.  They just went back home via the underground.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57232 on: April 12, 2023, 07:00:38 pm »

They'll do that. I think they take the shortest path to the map edge, so that may be why.

I've also had lots of artifact thieves escape through the caverns because I forgot to/didnt prepare the means to close them off.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #57233 on: April 15, 2023, 11:20:14 am »

Close call:  Accidentally opened a path to the caverns, and before I could seal it off, the looms all auto-generated collect webs jobs out of no where, sending several out into the underground wilds.  Suspending the job in all the looms turned them back around before they found too much trouble though.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57234 on: April 15, 2023, 02:34:42 pm »

Wiki says the mayor is elected based on social skill, but is it any specific social skill?

I'm wanting to basically train a specific person where whatever fort they walk into they'll be mayor within the year

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #57235 on: April 15, 2023, 03:02:14 pm »

I filled a trap labyrinth halfway, and I'm surprised that it's able to butcher undead armies. 270 invaders has fallen to about 70 and they're not even finished traversing the trapped portion.

Spoiler: The Maw of Heavyrags (click to show/hide)

Weapon traps really are worth their weight in gold.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 03:04:46 pm by Wilfred of Ivanhoe »
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57236 on: April 15, 2023, 05:07:29 pm »

Wiki says the mayor is elected based on social skill, but is it any specific social skill?

I'm wanting to basically train a specific person where whatever fort they walk into they'll be mayor within the year
I'm not sure about the specifics but vampires seem really good at instantly becoming mayor.  Which is why you should be really suspicious if a new arrival is suddenly mayor and has lots of social skills.

Also kids often get elected when they become adults at 12 years old because they spent their entire lives doing nothing but socializing.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57237 on: April 16, 2023, 08:42:42 pm »

Okay.....

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57238 on: April 17, 2023, 06:33:24 pm »

You know, just mis'bee'having.

Current exceeded honey bee limit stock.

A .gif showcasing the 'bee'havior of bee colonies when stuck inside an enclosed room and placed onto a single pedestal. In this instance, we are studying a room filled with over 3 million bees. (Note: In versions prior to .5 the only way to place bee colonies onto pedestals is through the use of adventure mode. In vanilla, pedestals can sustain an unlimited number of bee colonies resting upon it. And the colonies will not disappear upon retiring and reloading the area.)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 06:40:42 pm by dikbutdagrate »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #57239 on: April 17, 2023, 08:07:27 pm »

I'm sure this has nothing to do with the bee puns and vaguely threatening posts you keep making in the Museum thread.
Pages: 1 ... 3814 3815 [3816] 3817 3818 ... 3836