Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3818 3819 [3820] 3821 3822 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861308 times)

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57285 on: June 18, 2023, 03:03:19 pm »

My fortress is home to the last dwarves of the world, so I've been having years of "mandatory relaxation" to great effect. Of the 228 citizens, 220 of them are dwarves, 109 of them (including some drafted goblin and elf poets) are in the military, with maybe only 6 of them not being legendary warriors. Freeing the barracks and canceling all labors helped my dwarves to make friends, lovers, and families. We welcomed two babies in the same summer.

After years of playing this game, this might be my first fortress where the dwarves are actually sort of happy.

EDIT: Somewhat related, actually. I didn't plan this:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 08:27:39 pm by Wilfred of Ivanhoe »
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57286 on: June 20, 2023, 09:11:28 pm »

Immigrant wave brought a preemie, negative 108 days old. Worse, DF classes her as a child not an infant, so she's walking around under her own power.

Also apparently I don't know how insert images work on this site, an imgur link between the Insert Image tag doesn't work for me. How are you guys doing it?

Make sure youve got the url of the image itself, not to the imgur post, and put that in between the img tags. Also, it's a good idea to put a width modifier in there so the image isn't oversized at first loading, like so; [img width=400 ] < remove that last space in there.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57287 on: June 21, 2023, 05:57:32 pm »

Fort year 52  population 589
This is the last of the original 7, Sarvesh the Captain of the Guard, now 124 y/o and uses a crutch.
He loves his jewelry, lol.

FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57288 on: June 22, 2023, 04:18:46 am »

Damn that's a lot of bling, how can he even move with all of that?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #57289 on: June 22, 2023, 04:43:19 am »

Wow. I think that's even more than that one chief medical dwarf I had who hoarded lead crafts on his person.

I'd suspect he's slowed down to a crawl. At least lead crafts did that to my dwarf mentioned above.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57290 on: June 22, 2023, 04:58:31 pm »

Wow. I think that's even more than that one chief medical dwarf I had who hoarded lead crafts on his person.

I'd suspect he's slowed down to a crawl. At least lead crafts did that to my dwarf mentioned above.

Nah, he moves faster than most because he's not wearing any armor :)
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57291 on: June 23, 2023, 03:51:08 am »

Who needs armour when you have bling.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57292 on: June 24, 2023, 11:27:53 pm »

An ettin arrived. The battle went surprisingly well considering our Mayor Necromancer raised both him, and a fellow dwarf's severed arm. Armless pulled through but has other injuries, we'll see if she makes it. Only death got raised as a Forlorn Zombie, still loyal to the fortress.

I would normally call this a win, but her lower body is gone and she's now slowly crawling across the grass. Her current job is "seeking infant." Said infant is horrified by having seen the ettin die twice, and his mother die once.

That's dark enough I'm half tempted to savescum this, but more likely I'll let it play just to see what happens.

And I somehow now have a billon slab with the secrets of life and death. Have to figure out how that works.

Edit to add: I rolled with it. Just got a "Dwarf Surgeon forlorn zombie has been missing for a week" announcement, but I can still find her in the citizen unit list. Maybe that comes from her having died once?

Come to think of it, I just now looked, and her lower body is still lying where this went down, unburied. It's not forbidden, I have no burrows, I have coffins built and set for burial, and dwarves are allowed to gather refuse from outside. So I'm not sure what's up with that except the obvious, she died but she's still kicking around.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 10:10:04 am by Goldbeard »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57293 on: June 26, 2023, 07:52:37 am »

The first caravan was attacked by a troop of gray langurs. While the monkeys were wiped out entirely, with one being strangled to death by the expedition leader, the outpost liaison left angry due to the interrupted meeting(by the strangling, in fact). A few minor injuries occurred, but the worst was that it distracted me from securing a mineshaft from the aquifer it ran through.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #57294 on: June 26, 2023, 08:15:29 am »

one being strangled to death by the expedition leader, the outpost liaison left angry due to the interrupted meeting(by the strangling, in fact).

Such a wonderful scene!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57295 on: June 27, 2023, 10:45:33 am »

We've spent a few years trying to catch up on the cleanup of all the sieges we get.

And just as we've cleared the underground passage and made significant progress on the pile of goblinite and the wooden junk that we somehow cannot use as fuel to smelt the goblinite, we get another round of knife ears. This time, we're content to keep our bridge raised, to pray no raven will spook the sheep onto the battlements, as we get no traders until summer anyways.

And then the gobbos show up, seeking to parlay. Seeing the treehuggers between us and the gobbos, our response is resolute: "Let them fight."

Better the corpses stay out there than in the underground passage. Cleanup trips may be longer, but we're just so sick of the miasma.

EDIT: The knife ears, some of whom somehow have metal weapons and armor, make a huge mess of the gobbos. About two gobbos are left when the elves decide to peace out. We send out a squad to clear the area.

Immediately we begin cleanup procedures. Unfortunately, that's the time when a cyclops decides to pay a visit. Our in-name-only Captain of the Guard gets caught on the bridge in his civvies. He dukes the cyclops and manages to make it to solid ground before he falls into the nearby pond on the far bank of the stream. A squad arrives just in time, and Moldath—the Axe Lord and the Baroness's nephew—cleaves the cyclops's head in two, which gives the captain time to climb out of the pond.

Later, Moldath somehow falls into the fortress pond and drowns.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 12:56:58 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57296 on: June 29, 2023, 11:47:19 pm »

The human's royal treasurer is a goblin.
-------------------------------
An artifact was stolen.
The sheriff interrogated some dwarves.
The militia commander confessed a necromancer asked him to steal the artifact.
So both the thief and the boss were convicted.

For some reason , the sheriff only chained the thief. The necromancer who was a guest of the tavern,only receives some beating.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 11:50:42 pm by Libash_Thunderhead »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #57297 on: June 30, 2023, 08:34:41 am »

I wish we had more control over what punishment gets meted out for crimes.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57298 on: July 01, 2023, 08:02:22 am »

Four goblin snatchers showed up. One got quickly put down, first losing a foot, then his head, by the resident monster slayers who make up far too much of my population. Another ran. The other two chased a couple of kids down into the mines, but the kids got away.

My... "militia" which consists of half a dozen random dwarves without weapons followed them in. Upon finding them, one of my dwarves immediately bites them in the lower body, then shakes them with enough force to break their spine and paralyze them from the waist down. The rest beat him do death, though to his credit he did try to fight back. By the time the dwarves reached the last, one of the monster slayers caught up and quickly skewered the last goblin.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

intoempty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57299 on: July 03, 2023, 09:01:13 am »

I've only had 2 dragon attacks since I started playing back in 2014. So, I felt it necessary to immortalize the second attack with my first post on the forums.

https://youtu.be/oFbKOPXzOQs

Couple of things I learned:
  • Obsidian doors don't matter if the mechanisms are copper
  • The entire built road will explode along its whole length when hit by dragonfire, not one tile at a time
  • These things are really glass cannons.
Pages: 1 ... 3818 3819 [3820] 3821 3822 ... 3836