Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5860483 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57480 on: January 19, 2024, 10:46:13 pm »

There once was a forgotten beast. A great quadruped with large mandibles composed of charcoal which undulated rhythmically and belched toxic gasses.

It had a straight shot into a dwraven fortress, but it chose to jump into a magma tube instead.

The end.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57481 on: January 20, 2024, 02:38:44 pm »

Fort year 60 in Gravearmor
Population 721

Amkash, mother of four just passed away from old age at 97 while mining, she was an early immigrant Human.
She is survived by her 87 y/o husband Gatshi (fisherman) and her four male children, aged 38, 41, 42, 43, all born here.
These five are the only remaining humans in the fort.

She really liked her jewelry, wearing a combination of about 60 various pieces.
Let's have a moment of silence for Amkash.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 02:46:12 pm by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #57482 on: January 20, 2024, 04:08:52 pm »

I like to imagine she stacked all of the crowns on top of each other, balancing them carefully on her head.

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #57483 on: January 29, 2024, 07:38:25 am »

Dealing with a couple of werelizards in my fort right now. One dwarf got infected and I managed to catch it in a cage, but another one got bit during the capturing. I've walled that dwarf up in the hospital and I'm still deciding what to do about this. I'd like to capture them both then maybe set up some sort of arena to throw criminals into, but I'm not fully sure of the best way to go about that. I don't want to get another infected dwarf while trying to capture this one too.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57484 on: January 29, 2024, 01:51:41 pm »

The best way is often to dig a little hovel for them, isolate a path to it just after they transform back, make them rebuild any door in their hospital room and lock it, have someone remove the wall and leave, and put them in a squad and station them in their hovel, and wall them in. All before the next full moon, so you have to be managing it directly. The caged dwarf you can build the cage in an arena, at least two stories high, both levels smoothed, with a pit in the ceiling at least three tiles from any walls so they can't climb out with a hatch over it. Link the cage to a lever and you can open it remotely, but be careful because a dwarf might get the idea to just release them as soon as it's built.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57485 on: February 01, 2024, 08:15:55 pm »

Got over 200 citizens now.  And the story feels like it has gotten a tad boring.  Do you ever feel like it is time to move on to another story or Fortress at a certain point?  Not because the settlement or the dwarfs have been wiped out.  But you feel they, outside of a huge invasion or something really horrible, have reached the point of 'winning'?   :-\
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57486 on: February 01, 2024, 11:28:31 pm »

Well, when I get those thoughts, sometimes it is because I'm struggling with finishing a project... Like currently, finishing plans to drop an obsidian tower into the ocean. Did you finish all your projects?

And, did you apply magma to everything that could be magma'fied, that you might want to magma'fy for fun?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #57487 on: February 02, 2024, 09:12:39 am »

Got over 200 citizens now.  And the story feels like it has gotten a tad boring.  Do you ever feel like it is time to move on to another story or Fortress at a certain point?  Not because the settlement or the dwarfs have been wiped out.  But you feel they, outside of a huge invasion or something really horrible, have reached the point of 'winning'?   :-\

All the time. My forts usually retire around 80, and I usually alternate between adventurer and fortress mode to keep it exciting.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57488 on: February 04, 2024, 03:03:50 pm »

A loyalty cascade broke out, ~25 dwarves died as a result. Only provocation I could see was a mason throwing a tantrum. Maybe he started a fist fight and it turned into a brawl between his friends and the victims'? Impossible to know afterwards.

A nearby settlement I conquered last year has been retaken by the goblins, and now has a population of four thousand. No idea of the demographics of the site, could be all conquering goblins or could be mostly civilians that moved in as it was, briefly, the only civilized settlement in the world not ruled by either goblins or demons.

[edit]

The mason threw another tantrum and started another fistfight, and once again a loyalty cascade resulted and another ten dwarves died. Its definitely all his fault. He is among the dead now, thankfully.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 03:14:51 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #57489 on: February 04, 2024, 04:29:01 pm »

If a dwarf throws a tantrum he'll pick up and throw items on his tile. If one of these strikes another dwarf, it'll start a loyalty cascade. Incredible destruction can occur if the dwarf grabs, say, an entire stack of roasts.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57490 on: February 08, 2024, 11:34:55 am »

A bowyer became possessed and made a bow.  Then claimed it as her own.

Seems pretty...elfish to me.... ???
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57491 on: February 10, 2024, 12:45:50 pm »

A necromancer siege killed only 3 dorfs before someone pulled the drawbridge lever; pretty good!

Having no good plan for fighting them I stayed turtled for a while and just played normally. Sometime I wasn't watching, the Necromancers either perished or wandered off the map, leaving 20 gaunt ghouls who turned Friendly. Drawbridge down it seems real, they're just hanging out in a field of teeth on the edge of the map as my dorfs venture out. I'm curious to see what happens when a caravan or another siege arrives, so I'm not going to provoke them.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57492 on: February 13, 2024, 02:07:31 pm »

I just had a kea steal a codex from a surface-level depot. On a permafrozen map.

It's only year 2 and I'm still working on moving the depot underground. First I need new dining hall and bedrooms so I can make room by retiring the early temporary dorm and dining room. And move the kitchen and brewer and food storage... and it's been crisis after crisis. Need to set up a hospital. Need to set up a well. Need to set up farms. Need more soldiers to fight the hordes of rutherers, troglodytes and olm people. Need more steel gear to equip them. Need more garbage haulers to clean up the mess from the fights. Need more storage space for, well, everything. About once a season I get to spare the manpower to dig another couple of z-levels towards the magma sea.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57493 on: February 15, 2024, 02:08:35 pm »

Year 62 of Gravearmor
Population 763

The cook punches the mayor in the head, jamming the skull through the brain.

It was the first show of violence by the cook.
During a meeting with the mayor in the mayor's bedroom.
They were fellow migrants from the 5th year too... oh well.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 02:56:09 am by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57494 on: February 15, 2024, 09:18:20 pm »

I think it's time to write again.

I've been playing 50.11 for the first time in a while, and I decided to pick from three civs, two weak, one strong. The one I chose was the kingdom of Fath Osal, the Sacks of Singing.

Their capital was isolated and small, a fortress called Bridgedfocus. Tucked away in a tundra valley within The Tower of Barricades (henceforth simply "The Barricade") they were the region's southernmost people and sheltered from the violence north of it.

They had made attempts to settle the northern slopes of The Barricade in the past, every time being met with violence by the local elves. After 246 years of this nonsense, Queen catten sent an expedition known as The Frosty Hatchets into a specific spot on the northern slopes beyond their valley to establish Ushilrithzƒm, "Icebulwark," so named due to its placement running along the southern edge of The Tundra of Sun.

The fortress has grown and thrived since then, reaching a population of over 140, but this hasn't been a bloodless establishment. The fortress has been attacked thrice by the elves of The Mellow Clouds, clearly intent on quashing The Sack dwarves once and for all. The first two were relatively minor affairs, a scouting party of infantry and three squads of cavalry respectively.

The third was a serious onslaught that involved dozens of elves and several well-armed and armored elven mercenaries from human lands on top (who stuck out due to their heavy metal armor and weapons.) It was only after dozens of deaths that they withdrew in defeat. It was curious as to why this attack was so drastically larger until we learned the awful truth.

An army of some 500 had marched on and seized Bridgedfocus, displacing the monarch who had apparently replaced Catten in the intervening five years, King Fath Lashedsuns. He arrived early in 251, with only his wife and advisor in tow, making us the new capital - and now the final hope - of Fath Osal.

Also after repeated "visits" that began to grow tiring and suspicious, we finally killed the pretender Countess of Typhoonworked, our only other major hold in the north that fell some time ago.

The fortress has also reopened to migrants. We'll need the bodies for any warfighting, and it's start to seem like we'll need every beard and plait able to bear arms soon enough.