Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3832 3833 [3834] 3835 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861875 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57495 on: February 16, 2024, 09:56:55 pm »

I got the king to arrive to my new fort  again, which is good for the nation because the old fort got conquered by 7000 demons

It's not the same king. I'm betting he died. Wonder if his wife or kid survived.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 11:44:37 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57496 on: February 20, 2024, 10:56:46 am »

Not much is happening at the Town of Coldness but some food going bad.  I am looking forward to winter to see snow again.  Most of my games happen in warm climates due to me liking food forests.  So I rarely see snow.  OF course, I have dig a well and a water cistern. 
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #57497 on: February 21, 2024, 05:14:24 am »

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #57498 on: February 22, 2024, 08:21:11 pm »

War dog in combat: *Exists*
Dwarves: Time to kill all of the visiting nobles and merchants!
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57499 on: March 05, 2024, 04:12:44 pm »

Lots of Black Bear folks showed up and caused me so many problems.  Also the traders show up and the water froze and migrants showed up.  When it rains it floods.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57500 on: March 05, 2024, 07:07:51 pm »

Watching various forgotten beasts, giant olms, trolls, giant bats and other fauna get murdered by unrevealed (to me) olm people. The creatures seem to just suddenly start staggering around and bleeding to death.

I finally created a long trap hallway. What happened when I opened it up to the cavern? Half my fort decided to visit the cavern. Apparently they wanted to clean up all the blood and ichor spatters. Quick save-scum because that's a completely ridiculous way to lose a fortress. In future I must remember to set up a cleaning labour type with "nobody does this" before opening up the caverns, on top of forbidding anything and disabling automatic web collection.

Urist_isnt_real

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Time to flood the surface with magma
    • View Profile
« Reply #57501 on: March 08, 2024, 04:27:38 pm »

Here I've compiled some funny stories from my fort of Lashsyrups:
The artifact perfect white jade Bigsmears, stored in the fort's tavern, has been stolen over twenty times over the course of five years - mostly by goblins, but I've had, among other things, a very obvious vampire, two werepanthers (one of which infected the duchess, see below)... and the World's Dumbest Dwarf, Urist Tangledaxe, who has multiple times dodged into the magma moat while fighting goblins. He's currently in the hospital for the fifth time, his iron gauntlet having melted and taken with it his left hand (I was planning on discharging him from the army anyway). Hopefully Urist's new injury will teach him not to deal with the devil goblins again.
Three non-thief questers so far came seeking Bigsmears - two elves and a human. Somehow, nobody told them about it, so they just left in disappointment. The first thief of Bigsmears was our very own hammerer, Otol, who was promptly whacked thrice with his own artifact lead hammer by the captain of the guard, Sanam Blackring. Sanam is a pretty badass guy in general, having a kill count of fifty, being known for the trove of literature he stole from a grey parrot woman necromancer I like to call Polly. Sir Blackring is also one of the lonelier dwarves of the fortress, as despite being mayor he has only three friends - an ex-speardwarf now retired as a surgeon, the duchess (see above), and his daughter Istreth, also a former militia-dwarf, whose lower spine was shattered by a goblin lasher.
A delusional speardwarf - one of our most skilled, unfortunately, went berserk after entering a fey mood and not being supplied any shells. Well 'scuse me
mate, but the only source of water on this map is that bloody cave river (literally. Two whole tribes of amphibian men, fifteen strong each, fell down there
and fought an FB, before dying and leaving blood everywhere). DO YOU SEE ANY CAVE TURTLES HERE, ORSTUT? DO YOU? No? Alright then, take a bloody hammer to the face.
I suspect Sanam's lack of friends is due to the dozens of surgical scars he has on his torso, arms, and face, the aftermath of a particularly lengthy excision surgery in 289 (current year 302) after an encounter with a particularly !!fun!! titan resembling a spider made of bronze, endowed with an extremely dangerous necrosis-causing spittle.
Also, our resident goblin werepanther duchess (once a visiting poet) has married the love of her life, once a goblin visitor as well, and then promptly turned into a werepanther, killed two of the wedding guests, infected another four (including her new wife), and then quietly turned back. I've built a nice set of rooms for her and the duchess consort, including a food/drink chute and all of the fortress's literature, before locking them in with an artifact floodgate to prevent more incidents.
Finally, "Polly" the parrot woman necromancer sent over two zombie minotaurs to attack Lashsyrups. They were both struck down by an ex-soldier engraver who shattered each beast's skull with a punch, before hefting one corpse over his shoulder, butchering it, and engraving the whole tale on the tavern walls.
(I've made minotaurs nonsapient in my game)
Urist McBrewer cancels Brew drink from plant: interrupted by drunken lunatic.
Urist McFisherdwarf cancels fish: interrupted by undead carp.
Urist McNoble cancels complain about room: in custody.
Urist McBaby cancels clean self: too insane.
LASHSYRUPS: Making goblin visitors our nobles since 289!

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57502 on: March 08, 2024, 07:17:55 pm »

Was hunting Emus and even got one.  Then the ravens went nuts and flew into the colony to attack my dwarfs.  Sadly for them they are not giant ravens and even unarmed settlers could beat them to death.  And the ones outside who attacked my dwarfs got it worse.  One got a axe to the face and one got a bolt in the gut.  I think they are attacking due to how many trees I cut down. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 09:12:50 pm by callisto8413 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57503 on: March 08, 2024, 10:41:33 pm »

Icebulwark continues along.

The fortress guard was finally established, mainly just as an excuse to put more dwarves under arms, but also because a uh, "possible timeline" resulted in five deaths due to a bar brawl that escalated from a brawl to people chasing those involved through the halls to beat them to death. One dwarf was incarcerated for just shy of two months for a past violation of a production order, this being a weaponsmith who would moonlight at the craftsman's guild. Gonna have to carefully vet the fortress guard, since I don't want corrupt shitheads on the force.

Multiple FB attacks also took place, but thankfully two were infinitely more killable than the other was.
- An ankylosaurid with deadly dust. Killed by a mosquito made of purple spinel.
- Said purple spinel mosquito. Decapitated by Olin, one of our Swardmasters. The head has been mounted in the tavern.
- A stonefly with stun gas. An Axedwarf named Bomrek was elevated to the status of Axe Lord for his bravery against it, even if another Axe Lord named Ushrir stole his kill (possibly because it seemed like he was just bullying the thing past a certain point.)

The king is finally getting proper furnishings installed in his dining room as well, as he's been taking his meals on his throne with no chairs (thankfully he's easy to appease with spears and bracelets.)

Something strange is also going on in the cattle area. Seeing as we've been partially making a living selling horses and sheep, a wave of recent deaths due to infections seemingly has me worried there's something skulking around in there or some shit, so I've dispatched Bomrek to see if there's anything in there.

It'd be unfortunate to lose our entire herds of livestock and war animals to a mystery disease, seeing as none of these animals would have been exposed to the forgotten beast syndromes.

EDIT: Had to roll back, no clue what caused the wave of deaths besides maybe some of that FB dust from the ankylosaurid getting on the cats and ending up in the pens that are partially open to the sky. Broke down, got DF hack 9which I haven't needed for a long time,) to clear up any possible dust spatter.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57504 on: March 11, 2024, 08:19:36 pm »

Well, we survived a year but the ex-Book Keeper, after being heavily wounded by more ravens, died in the hospital because the water stayed frozen till late Spring.  He passed away right when a dwarf was bringing him some water.  We are almost finished with a well and underground water tank in with the inflow will be controlled by floodgate and also have a grate.  Just in case.  The river water was stagnant anyway.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57505 on: March 12, 2024, 04:10:05 pm »

Monkeyhall was meant to return to monke, but the fort retired when the "wet" fort design severely underestimated the throughput needed to drain the expanding light aquifer. The Drunian goddess won't be pleased.

Faithhalls, from the southern neighbouring civilization has instead setup shop in the isthmus mountains, guarding the easy passage to the Mountainhome, and forcing the enemies to take the longer route across the lake to the north and near the humans. Alas, the fort has been cursed. For while we have plenty of magnetite and flux to build an army of steel, the only sources of fuel are either far below us, or in the savage forest. Cursed we are, for more than sixty dwarves have already fallen, at least half of which, I'm sure, due to our own hands. For if the forest doesn't claim us, the endlessly tantruming dwarves, who have been driven schizophrenically mad by their polytheist mania, while watching over us as we fell tree after tree, will pummel us to death with their own bare hands, starting with the bookkeeper.

It's always the bookkeeper. I don't know why he keeps dying. Appoint a new one, he'll be dead soon enough. Fucking Voldemort over here cursing our shit.

Maybe I should've assigned a captain of the guard after all, we even had a dungeon fully equipped, but damn it, 29 days in prison was too unreasonable at the time for missing the popup to make the mayor's stupid traction benches. Back then I couldn't afford to send Zas, my mechanic, to prison! He's my best glassworker and engraver. How would I ever have managed to engrave and encrust with glass all the slabs I needed for the graveyard? We had enough ghosts to storm the armies of Mordor. Well, maybe a few ships, but still. Or doors, as it were. They kept opening the doors to the mist pumps and flooding the place.

Sigh, but now my best stone carver and gem setter is dead. Murdered! Maybe it is time, indeed.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57506 on: March 16, 2024, 02:32:26 pm »

Gravearmor

Age     Pop
  0       2
  1       3
  2       4
  3       1
  4       2
  5       5
  6       1
  7       2
  8       4
  9       2
 10's    25
 20's    15
 30's     9
 40's    23
 50's    27
 60's    77
 70's    92
 80's   113
 90's   128
100's   103
110's    62
120's    53
130's    27
140's    18
150's     1

799 Population
 64 Fort Year
3-7 FPS
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #57507 on: March 17, 2024, 06:42:08 pm »

800 dwarves and still getting 3+ FPS? That's some incredible hardware you're running it on.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57508 on: March 17, 2024, 10:00:14 pm »

800 dwarves and still getting 3+ FPS? That's some incredible hardware you're running it on.
Nah.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz with 16.0 GB RAM
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #57509 on: March 18, 2024, 02:31:17 pm »

Better than my junktop lol
Pages: 1 ... 3832 3833 [3834] 3835 3836