Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789159 times)

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2009, 07:12:28 am »

Another fort has fallen to the curse of gold.

To sum it up, Hitting a series of giant gold Veins in First year + getting a working smelting/forging industry going in the first year + Mass production of Golden goblets = Very good trading with caravan + Very high fort wealth = loads of immigrants + loads of seiges from Orcs + Shit I hadn't got a working drawbridge going yet = DOOOOOOOM!

Last time I give those bitches the Building Destroyer tag, I'll tell you that much...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:15:32 am by TheDarkJay »

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2009, 11:14:17 am »

Starting work on my magma entrance flooding device...
Never made one before, Probably wont end well...

Edit:
Well the testing of the pumps went well, I think the caravan that arrived would beg to differ... (I wasnt aiming for them.)
Picture:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Another one:
I hope their entire merchandise goes up in smoke... But it looks like it will be just that muskox.

Edit again:
Yay, !!caravan!!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 12:00:45 pm by tp12 »
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2009, 11:59:28 am »

Haven't used the magma yet; I'm now digging out a number of near-concentric tiers in the area, and have been dropping dirt from the top down to the bottom.

Six craftdwarf stations are churning out rock crafts full time.

WHile digging out quarters in preparation for the arrival of the king, I discovered Bauxite (not so useful, since I'm using the Dig Deeper Mod), and iron. With the huge number of trees and the presence of white marble, I can make my own steel!!.... Except that orcs are my primary source of it, and my legendary armorer has been making masterwork plate mail for the troops.

I should've lowered the population cap, as my FPSs are going downhill quickly.

I also discovered the means to quickly copy symmetric patterns through z-levels with perfect alignment, so I'm quite happy about that.

tp12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2009, 12:56:44 pm »

My moody dwarf just decided to go grab some !!silk cloth!!... now he's on fire. Magma, the gift that keeps on giving :D
I'm just gonna activate the previous entrance flooding device, one with water instead of magma, to ensure no more flaming bits of cloth get hauled inside.
Edit:
Zon Evudimush cancels strange mood: too injured.
then he went bezerk, I didn't know that could happen.
Untill recently, before stocks ran out, it rained cats and dogs in my fortress...

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2009, 02:00:26 pm »

Another fort has fallen to the curse of gold.

To sum it up, Hitting a series of giant gold Veins in First year + getting a working smelting/forging industry going in the first year + Mass production of Golden goblets = Very good trading with caravan + Very high fort wealth = loads of immigrants + loads of seiges from Orcs + Shit I hadn't got a working drawbridge going yet = DOOOOOOOM!

Last time I give those bitches the Building Destroyer tag, I'll tell you that much...

Drawbridge over a pit. It's da bomb!

My moody dwarf just decided to go grab some !!silk cloth!!... now he's on fire. Magma, the gift that keeps on giving :D
I'm just gonna activate the previous entrance flooding device, one with water instead of magma, to ensure no more flaming bits of cloth get hauled inside.
Edit:
Zon Evudimush cancels strange mood: too injured.
then he went bezerk, I didn't know that could happen.

If for any reason the task is canceled, such as the workshop being deconstructed, losing power (for magma buildings), not having the necessary materials, or they're permanently crippled, they'll immediately go crazy. I'm not sure about sealing them off from the workshop, if you forbid a door between them and their workshop I'm not sure what happens.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2009, 02:11:27 pm »

The dwarves have arrived at Sarveshtobul, Furnacecanyon. A hot, but beautiful site with many possibilities. STRIKE THE EARTH!!!

The site is posted here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=43986.0

Anyways, I'm trying to decide how to start the entrance digging since there is a great spot along or near the brook that is very good stragetically as far as defense goes, but the soil is all along the eastern areas, so.....

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2009, 02:33:47 pm »

I just modded in a new race that I'm playing as. first run with them... also my first fortress with a magma vent on it.

When I began an extensive mining campaign to find some stuff to run my metal industry with. didn't see the huge deposits of magnetite that I'm used to. But I noticed I had native copper and casserite... now the stockpile is swamped with bronze bars. (what the heck are pewter bars good for anyway?)

I have most the core industries working, and channeled out an indoor area to keep a supply of liquid water when the outside water freezes. also this is the first time I've had competent hunters (compared to my last hunter who tried to wrestle camels).

after multiple kobold raids I've started thinking about getting my defense up and running, and creating an artifact vault.

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Forced on the bandwagon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2009, 05:07:40 pm »

My 7 year old fort is going pretty well. My two miners married early on, and have three children. Would have been four, but one was stolen SOMEHOW by a snatcher.

I had to close up the fort during an Orc siege at one point, and human traders had come to trade. But before they got in, a good number of traders were killed, and the ones already inside were sealed in the castle walls. They weren't too happy about their friend dying, and several teenage camels fell into melancholy, or extreme boredom. I was screwed once the Representative went mad, and a few years after his death, I got a small siege while some dwarven traders came to trade. I slaughtered them with a general and senior officer, the only two to show up, before the traders even noticed the siege.

And my dwarves are very stylish. They wear masterwork clothing, each made with masterful cloth, thanks to two lucky fey moods. Unfortunately, I did not get a legendary dyer, but a competent one is fine too. So with iron-grade coats, I don't think I will have to worry about them dying from anything but bolts soon.

So now I think I want to start on that waterfall map in this forum. I won't abandon quite yet, though. Here is the map I have so far, with an unfinished tower and unfinished walls.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2009, 06:35:01 pm »

A kobold thief stole my legendary axe! It was the single most valuable thing in my entire fortress, weighing in at over 250,000 dwarfbucks. I assumed the swarms of war dogs would kill him, but the thief got away.

I'm tempted to revert to the spring auto-save, and I honestly wouldn't lose anything. I'd just have to arrange a million statues back into a maze that took forever to lay out. That wouldn't be a very dwarfy thing of me to do, though.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2009, 07:09:42 pm »

A kobold thief stole my legendary axe! It was the single most valuable thing in my entire fortress, weighing in at over 250,000 dwarfbucks. I assumed the swarms of war dogs would kill him, but the thief got away.

I'm tempted to revert to the spring auto-save, and I honestly wouldn't lose anything. I'd just have to arrange a million statues back into a maze that took forever to lay out. That wouldn't be a very dwarfy thing of me to do, though.
Tearing the very fabric of time apart to get your axe back isn't dwarfy?
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Forced on the bandwagon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2009, 10:27:11 pm »

Damn it. I got an Orc siege, and tried to block my entrance. I had a good half a month to get it done, too. But my retarded dwarves are too tired apparently to do anything, so the fort got rushed, and all 16 died in their sleep. They deserved it. But what really pisses me off is the games auto save delete. I tried to Alt-ctrl-del out, since I had a good design already painstakingly laid out, and the stupid thing deletes it. Three hours for nothing. Losing is normally fun, but times like this are just frustrating. I nearly broke my computer in rage.

I'd love to reclaim, but I had good dwarves, which I am very OCD about. I'm probably gonna get 80 axedwarves to live in a 10 dwarf sized fortress. Oh poo.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2009, 01:23:48 am »

A major tantrum spiral has in just above 7 months reduced my fort population from 187 dwarves ... to 58.

Apart from this the tantruming dwarves have destroyed dozens of buildings, furniture and roads as well as attack and maul many animals. They are still depressed and some have wounds that will -never- heal, plus I killed off the elven diplomat and cut the entire forest not far from now. I am expecting their first attack in two months.

Every noble, all but 1 noble guard, all but 5 fortress guards, every single marksdwarf and most of my legendaries perished. It's a god-send that I still have 2 of the starting dwarves alive - and some epic hammerdwarves.

Edit: I counted and there are 13 dwarves wounded and/or imprisoned. 3 of them will never walk again.

Edit 2: and now they wrecked the friggin zoo.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 01:32:38 am by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Viroath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2009, 01:35:50 am »

Started a fresh fort, so just recently got the first few levels of the underground tower dug up and the stockpiles inside.  Starting up farm production and getting a cistern fin- OH GOD ORCS!

Edit:  Now my fort-to-be is traveling to the location, going militaristic now.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 01:51:56 am by Viroath »

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2009, 05:04:47 am »

Was exploratory mining in search for HFS, digged out almost entire layer till finally hit some warm stone. Okay, now to carefully dig around... oops, there was some pit part, too late. Breached it right under last layer, and directly into 'glowing pit' tiles. Well, not a big problem, wall it off and deal with it from the top, as planned. So i designate a wall, and turn off all other labors for nearby miner. He builds a wall... but from the wrong side, effectively sealing himself on the clowns side. I rush to build stairs around the wall, but too late, clowns already here and kill him off in few hits.
And that was my mayor for 30 years in a row, with legendaries in admin/social skills, and i cant even bury him, since clowns are standing on the corpse. Oh well, at least its not !!clowns!! on the top layers, just some water ones.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2009, 05:16:53 am »

Goal:
To create a full set of artifact adamantium armor.

Restrictions:
Using Orc mod.
Must have zero dwarf/merchant fatality rate.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 3835