Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5855300 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8085 on: November 19, 2010, 05:08:34 pm »

I desperately need to get my entry hall fully trapped; i've been besieged by succubi for 2 years and don't have anything keeping them out of the hall, just the depot and fortress. Next break i'm going to construct a wall near the front so I can set up the trap fields.
The succubi originally had wings, and were by all means utterly invincible to dwarves. I hope removing a few of those abilities will even the odds ever so slightly so that a dozen dwarves have a smallish chance of defeating one unarmed succubus.

The fortress itself is in great condition; I've managed to dig out rooms for housing and workshops, farms, and a grand dining hall with the previously described nine waterfalls. I don't have enough furniture for everything, however. Most of the workers are just idling, which isn't a problem as long as I don't do anything stupid and get many killed. The biggest threat we face behind the walls is the bodies of all the merchants who died since we arrived.(nearly all of them)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 05:40:00 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8086 on: November 19, 2010, 05:25:04 pm »

In the Outpost Jadelabor hippos and elephants run free, a massive lake ensures I never need water again... though in the beginning I had a small problem. The problem was a small island off the coast, elephants would appear there, and I thought a trade might arrive on the other side of a lake. So I spent 2 seasons constructing a vast bridge to allow travel.

The caverns are only 12zlevels below my feet, it is filled with Giant cave swallows and Giant cave spiders... This will not end well.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8087 on: November 19, 2010, 06:22:12 pm »

I'm experiencing a new forms of !!Fun!! at Wipedchannels today. Craftsdorf Rimtod Rovoddeler became possessed by a spirit mad for shells.

Remember my previous comment about my fisherdorfs leveling by telling me there were no fish?

Fortunately none of my masons walled themselves in with him, but it's still rather tedious waiting for him to go nuts and then keel over.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8088 on: November 19, 2010, 07:22:00 pm »

A kobold thief had discovered a goblin ambush for me.  Oh wow, thanks little guy!

Immediately after I discovered that my local goblin and kobold civs are at war with eachother.  ...poor thing...

EDIT: Actually wow, stabbed one of the speargobs in the hand severing nerves and making him drop his shield and made a break for it.  Managed to get away with only a few bolts in him.  Go, go, super'bold!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 07:29:22 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8089 on: November 19, 2010, 07:45:32 pm »

I quickly formed a 10 man squad & sent them out to deal with the attackers, the battle lead to 9 of my dorfs dieing (including my medical dorf) but all the goblins getting slaughtered :D

The 16 Dwarfs of Drilledstockades shall soldier on! Only problem is, being an above ground fortress, they don't clean anything. and I mean ANYTHING. Weird.
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8090 on: November 19, 2010, 07:51:52 pm »

A swordsdwarf has just wandered onto my map (I'm actually not sure how long she's been there) and is just standing there on the mountain. Units list says she's friendly, but I'm a little unnerved. Why isn't she coming down to the fortress? joining a party? having some booze? She might actually be one of the trader's who's inexplicably stuck around, because she has some elf blood on her from the elves I killed last spring.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8091 on: November 19, 2010, 07:58:25 pm »

My dwarfs shall now ride into battle, far, far behind my war elephants and hippos.

Now my fort shall never die!
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8092 on: November 19, 2010, 08:07:13 pm »

Dikecrimson has suffered it's first dwarven casualty, almost a year and a half since it's foundation- a new record for me. Sadly, it was my Grand Master Miner, who succumbed to infections related to the injuries caused in an avoidable mining accident. Hindsight 20/20, as they say.

He was ecstatic when he died though, so I'm going to pass on giving him a proper burial, in favour of him coming back as a ghost.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8093 on: November 19, 2010, 08:13:07 pm »

A kobold thief had discovered a goblin ambush for me.  Oh wow, thanks little guy!

Immediately after I discovered that my local goblin and kobold civs are at war with eachother.  ...poor thing...

EDIT: Actually wow, stabbed one of the speargobs in the hand severing nerves and making him drop his shield and made a break for it.  Managed to get away with only a few bolts in him.  Go, go, super'bold!
Too bad he won't appear in legends unless he dies. You might have some engravings of the event if you're lucky.

And I'm lucky; I've had a whole season without an ambush or siege and managed to prepare good defenses and let the dorfs out to collect their equipment. All but my stoneworkers and starting seven are in a squad.
I've dug an entry way that can be sealed with a retracting bridge in emergencies and I'm redesigning my entry hall to curve around to a back door to the trade depot. I may arm it with more siege engines but I think the lengths are too short for the operators to use without running away.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8094 on: November 19, 2010, 08:14:45 pm »

Sizzlebridges is going well - some migrants appeared, and my first thoughts were surprise and "What are you poor bastards doing here?".

99 dwarves, 2.7 million dwarven bucks (I misread the number a while back, and though I only had 200,000 (when I had 2 million), so made a LOT of gold stuff), magma forges, and a bridge over the magma pool to enter.

Goblins have launched a series of incompetent raids and sieges, with one ambush occurring next to the just entered dwarven merchants, whose guards kicked goblin butt, and then another goblin group popping up next to the same merchants at my gates, with the same results. Also missed a perfect opportunity to get through my front door with the traps not loaded, but spent most of the season chasing a few puppies around the map..

Also been being nasty to human merchants - walling them up until they starve, killing their guards, flinging them around with bridges - anything to try and get invaded by them.  No luck so far, but the free loot is good.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8095 on: November 19, 2010, 08:20:57 pm »

The 16 Dwarfs of Drilledstockades shall soldier on! Only problem is, being an above ground fortress, they don't clean anything. and I mean ANYTHING. Weird.

"o" then "r" then "o" makes dwarves gather refuse from the outside/above ground world.  You'll need a biggish refuse pile, and be wary of them picking up bits of animals/goblins from the far corners of the map when there's an invasion going on, but I use it occasionally to clean out the pile of goblin body parts from around my front door weapon traps.  Makes the place more inviting...

For cleaning, they're a little like me - will clean eventually but only if there's really nothing else going on

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8096 on: November 19, 2010, 08:21:00 pm »

Part 4 of my LP is up.

I'm starting to think that the reason almost nobody plays Dwarf Fortress on the escapist is because they just don't care about it. Which is a shame, because I feel like I'm putting all this time into an LP for nothing. Complete lack of feedback kills motivation. I'm not trying to be popular or anything like that, but I feel pretty damn stupid doing all this work for a thread that only a few people are following (who appear to already be DF players). Maybe it's because I'm not doing the LP right, but there's no feedback to tell me that. I'd rather have people say I'm doing it wrong than say nothing at all.

But enough about my off-topic whining, let's talk about the actual fort. I forgot to do something important when I generated this world; tweak cavern layer height. One of the things I dislike about vanilla caverns is that they feel way to tall. The result of having a cavern where the ceiling spans over a dozen Z levels is that there are barely any spacious flat areas. It's just a bunch of hills and slopes. Which is not good when you're trying to put together a farm. I'm hoping the second cavern layer will be more flat. One of the few nice things about Townbrush was that all 3 cavern layers were very manageable. But in Reveredtour, the first layer is a nightmare to navigate.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8097 on: November 19, 2010, 08:38:31 pm »

Part 4 of my LP is up.

I'm starting to think that the reason almost nobody plays Dwarf Fortress on the escapist is because they just don't care about it. Which is a shame, because I feel like I'm putting all this time into an LP for nothing. Complete lack of feedback kills motivation. I'm not trying to be popular or anything like that, but I feel pretty damn stupid doing all this work for a thread that only a few people are following (who appear to already be DF players). Maybe it's because I'm not doing the LP right, but there's no feedback to tell me that. I'd rather have people say I'm doing it wrong than say nothing at all.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Perhaps there are simply few people who would actually read/watch an LP, especially for a game displayed in ASCII. Perhaps they went insane trying to comprehend it...
I make Spellcrafts!

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8098 on: November 19, 2010, 08:45:19 pm »

It would of been a better idea to try it in May Green tileset, that's easier for new comers :)
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8099 on: November 19, 2010, 09:05:19 pm »

I just noticed my animal trainer is a Legendary fighter and wrestler. He's been punching an elephant for a few dozen pages. Awesome Sauce.
Pages: 1 ... 538 539 [540] 541 542 ... 3836