Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5856166 times)

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8145 on: November 21, 2010, 01:26:55 pm »

A mountain titan with "an aura of kindness and giving" appeared at my fort. I scratched my head and then decided fine, with a description like that surely it will leave my dwarves alone, right?

Wrong! (Of course.)

A hauler caught its attention and got punted to the edge of the map for his troubles, narrowly missing the local volcano. I'm amazed he was only bruised instead of splatted. So much for "kindness"; I bet looking harmless and sweet is how that titan lulled its victims to their doom. So I sicced my military on the bloody thing, but wouldn't you know, over half of them couldn't be arsed to show.  Two hammerdwarves and two marksdwarves were kind enough to engage, and were victorious without any casualties ... except for one of the hammer gals' pet dogs. Her other dog is severely wounded and may yet die as well, which might cause my very first tantrum since she's rather ticked now as it is.

At least the elves brought some nice animals, though sadly not a mate for the elephant they sold me last year. And the local giant eagles refuse to be trapped, buggers.

ending in said hauler receiving all sorts of bruises. I immediately activated my military, but before they could make it to the scene, I saw my poor dwarf sailing several dozen tiles through the air, narrowly missing the magma vent. Then two markswarves and two hammerdwarves arrived on the scene to tackle the bloody thing while my more skilled axedwarves were nowhere to be seen.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8146 on: November 21, 2010, 02:23:05 pm »

I just got a squad named "The Sabres of Murdering," fucking badass.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8147 on: November 21, 2010, 02:28:28 pm »

I have just gotten a goblin snatcher after 3 years... I only thought I had elves, kobolds, and humans.

Jadelabor's war elephants and war tigers just got something to kill.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8148 on: November 21, 2010, 03:45:56 pm »

Part 6 of my LP is up

I'm honestly surprised I haven't found any red stone yet. Usually it's among the first stones I acquire in my forts. The lack of it kind of fucks with my workshop color coding, but I don't really use pitchblende for anything important so it's not a big deal.

When consulting the map for this update, I found that one of the civilizations I thought to be human was actually goblin. So the location for this fortress is even more retarded. The 3 closest civilizations are goblins and elves.

I really am worried about not having a farm yet though. By now I usually have a stable farm set up, but the chaotic nature of the first cavern layer has made this impossible. I don't know what I'm going to do if the second cavern layer is just as bad, since farming in the abyss is not an option. Not only is it way to deep for proper farming to take place, death by wannamingo is a very likely for any farmers working down there.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Dibuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8149 on: November 21, 2010, 05:07:06 pm »

Humans <3 (for) me.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8150 on: November 21, 2010, 05:09:48 pm »

A delicacy among elves.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8151 on: November 21, 2010, 05:44:43 pm »

I really am worried about not having a farm yet though. By now I usually have a stable farm set up, but the chaotic nature of the first cavern layer has made this impossible. I don't know what I'm going to do if the second cavern layer is just as bad, since farming in the abyss is not an option. Not only is it way to deep for proper farming to take place, death by wannamingo is a very likely for any farmers working down there.

You have a river and an ocean to dump extra water in, why not just dig out a space before the first cavern and irrigate it?  It could work as a demonstration of how to use mechanisms, proper safety precautions while undertaking dangerous projects, etc.  Another option is to just wall of a sufficiently large section of the caverns.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8152 on: November 21, 2010, 05:45:59 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now that's one hell of a bracelet.
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8153 on: November 21, 2010, 05:59:31 pm »

You have a river and an ocean to dump extra water in, why not just dig out a space before the first cavern and irrigate it?  It could work as a demonstration of how to use mechanisms, proper safety precautions while undertaking dangerous projects, etc.  Another option is to just wall of a sufficiently large section of the caverns.

The last time I played with the ocean I ended up flooding the mines along with all 3 cavern layers. I do not want to make a mistake that big in the first year of a fortress. At least not without testing it in another save first. But as for why I prefer cavern farming, it's just so much simpler for me to do. If the second cavern layer is fucked though I will probably just settle for walling off a huge portion over multiple Z levels or just trying irrigation.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8154 on: November 21, 2010, 09:44:04 pm »

Started a new fort for 31.18, and I think I'm pleased so far. I chose a nice place where there was no winter freeze, so I could set up my farms nice and early. Mined out a nice tower design, planning on eventually making it into a somewhat small megaproject.  Bedrooms are up and running, and the temporary workshops are preparing for the caravan. Carpenter is pumpiong out beds, and mason is puping out doors and blocks.

small river on the embark this time, which means I get free infinite water for drowning traps and waterfalls. Hooray!

deathxherald

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Look! DBZ Dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8155 on: November 21, 2010, 10:38:12 pm »

So Im new to this, but Ive been reading the forums and figuring it out. So far ive started over 12 fortresses only to have them fail miseralbly.  :-\
I just started my most recent one about 2 days ago, and so far its been a hella good one, except for the three dwarfs who decided to go stark raving mad and not eat drink or sleep. Not to mention the Miasma drop out of my butcher shop (go figure) and the numerous dam invading dwarf immagrants. Seriously ive had 4 waves so far in less than a year and my pop is at 50. I cant mine fast enough to make the living quarters for all their beds, tables, and chairs. not to mention enough doors, and the engravers needed to smooth all the dam walls and make it "livable" for the dwarves so they dont pitch a hissy fit and kill each other, which coincidentally happened in one of my previous fortresses... funny but sucked since my sherrif came through and killed them all, including my chief (and only dwarf with any diagnostics) medical dwarf.
Just started my first barracks and military, and now one of my Milita commanders cant figure out how to drop the item hes carrying in the pile and go train, so he will most likely die a painful death. Its gonna suck since hes the best spearfighter around.
Dwarf Fortress: Throwing kittens into volcanoes to see what's on the bottom.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8156 on: November 22, 2010, 12:08:43 am »

Mid Summer of 503 at Ringquest, pop. 85 fps 27(19)

So I started the well cistern filling, got involved in some other things, and then went to lunch. Pro tip: Don't do that. When I came back, there were hollarings of a flood going on down on the living level. The downstairs dining rooms, statue garden, and zoo were all under 3 feet of water. It'll be a while before evaporation takes care of the mess, and I really don't want to go down there any time soon. It's just so much fail, spread all over. I'll have to pave over the mud once it dries.

The elves brought us a couple bears, which will go to the front door guard. We've been harrassed by a couple goblin ambushes, but my soldiers have been quick to deal with the situation, and no lives were lost.

The 10-story Pit-O-Doom is working well. It doesn't always kill the caged goblins, but what's left is easy cleanup. And since it's right next to the danger room, the squad is generally available to puncture, pierce, slash, and otherwise brutalize the pulpy remains.

I've set up an outdoor patrol route that covers the expanse of the map. In the third month of every season, the squad shall take to the surface, to eradicate any goblin ambushers before they threaten civilian lives.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 01:26:12 am by AngleWyrm »

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8157 on: November 22, 2010, 12:50:19 am »

I just started my first real fort in a very long time: Frogfountain, begun by the valiant group The Bane of Toads.

Yeah.

I decided to establish my underground farms my usual way: By digging a plot next to a murky pool, piercing it, and letting the pool drain. Unfortunately, the pool was quite large and my farm plot area wasn't much larger, so I had to take down the door to the farm area and let all the water drain into my entire fort, what there was of it. Hope everyone loves mud!
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8158 on: November 22, 2010, 01:31:41 am »

My dorfs had no problem building grates beneath the spill, and are quite happy to walk in and out through the water. There was one cancellation due to the building site being "submerged"*, but that's it. The most trouble I've had so far is figuring out how to span the river my waterfall is flowing into. It's about 40 tiles across and bridges only extend for 10...
Good to know, I was trying to figure out how to temporarily dam the river.

But no, I can't figure out how to weaponize the waterfall itself.
I was thinking of having a bridge that crosses close to the top of the falls; having the bridge covered with weapon traps then watch as enemies dodge into the river and are swept over the falls.

1st Granite, 1052
So we've been at Flagmine for a year. More migrants have showed up, putting the population around 16. We had a bit of a food scare, but by sending every idle dwarf to the surface to pick berries, we managed to hold off until a caravan from the mountainhomes arrived. We also got the basics of a farming system going. We dug out a small hill beside a murky pool, constructed a pump and filled the hill with water. Then deconstructed the pump and the water goes back into the pool.

I am a bit concerned about one of the migrants. When the water was draining back into the murky pool, this migrant decided to stand at the entrance to the new farming area. It didn't take long for him to be swept into the pool; fortunately, this pool was already marked as a safety hazard, so escape ramps were already installed. But then he goes and stands in the water twice more, and twice more he is swept into the murky pool.

The caravan's arrival was fortuitous. Not only were we running low on food, which the caravan had plenty, we were also able to pick up so things we forgot to bring when we left mountainhome, such as a pair of anvils, some dogs to be trained as watch dogs, and a cat to eliminate the vermin menace. I made sure the cat was a male, they had a female, but I have heard that cat's breed almost as fast as the vermin they are meant to keep in check. We also picked up a bin of silk, in case anyone wants to get creative.

I was talking to one of the other dwarves, and the topic of religion came up; turns out this dwarf worships Dur, the mountain goat of war. I hope the elves bring some mountain goats so we can properly honour this deific goat.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8159 on: November 22, 2010, 03:25:15 am »

Another goblin ambush showed up, this time with human leaders.  The 2 squads imediately became visible when they entered the map, which seemed odd.

Then the human leaders for the goblins STARTED ATTACKING THEIR MINIONS.  And apperantly started a loyalty cascade among the goblins.

Oookayyy....  It seems nobody likes the goblins, not even their own leaders.

Huh, so this abductee aggro bug isn't just my game. I thought I triggered it on my world because I played an adventurer before embarking, but if the goblin loyalty cascade bug isn't linked to adventure mode...
Pages: 1 ... 542 543 [544] 545 546 ... 3836