Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 3837

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5894676 times)

IzzieBean

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9270 on: December 29, 2010, 03:48:16 am »

Why didn't you raise the drawbridge!? A demon that sets the forests ablaze by walking by absolutely should NOT be allowed inside :o

I want one of those... My fort has had zero problems whatsoever outside a couple sieges and ambushes, which only managed to kill around 25 dwarves total.

Ah, I noticed rather too late that the lever connected to said drawbridge had been destroyed in a wayward tantrum a season past.... and by the time that was discovered, he was already inside. Oops. I had hoped that the Baroness and the hot little number of a diplomat would meet in her in her chambers and so keep the burnination to a minimum.... but then the little social butterfly of a noble decided to go to the party.... and that, as we say ... was that.

Especially since at that point I was really just laughing too hard to do much of anything but watch. Particularly when he eventually left in a pout.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9271 on: December 29, 2010, 11:10:47 am »

I realised that my most valuable fighting dwarf seems to be my wooden bolt using highmaster marskdwarf hunter.
Every goblin ambush he seems to be around, instead of running inside and hiding in the burrows like I order civ's to he takes potshots and half the time kills a goblin or 2 :D
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9272 on: December 29, 2010, 12:58:12 pm »

Good news everyone! I've got two artifacts.
Bad news everyone! There's a werewolf siege outside my front door.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9273 on: December 29, 2010, 01:06:46 pm »

Good news everyone! I've got two artifacts.
Bad news everyone! There's a werewolf siege outside my front door.

Hear them howling 'round your kitchen door?
Better not let them in.
Little old kobold got mutiliated late last night.
Werewolves of DF again!

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9274 on: December 29, 2010, 02:02:44 pm »

Started a new fort. Caverns are only SIX LEVELS below the surface, which is cool. I made an armoured bunker type thing covering the entrance, which I am sure is impenetrable. But one problem.

No humans have shown up.

Or Elfs.

Or Kobolds.

Or Goblins.

Or ANYTHING. And it's nearing my fourth year.

What is going on here? I know were created in world gen!
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9275 on: December 29, 2010, 02:13:46 pm »

Started a new fort. Caverns are only SIX LEVELS below the surface, which is cool. I made an armoured bunker type thing covering the entrance, which I am sure is impenetrable. But one problem.

No humans have shown up.

Or Elfs.

Or Kobolds.

Or Goblins.

Maybe it's completely inaccessible to them?

I just started a kobold settlement on the bank in the cliffs of a lake, where I expect they will die horribly at the first opportunity. Should be interesting.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9276 on: December 29, 2010, 02:15:54 pm »

No humans have shown up.

Or Elfs.

Or Kobolds.

Or Goblins.

Maybe it's completely inaccessible to them?

I just started a kobold settlement on the bank in the cliffs of a lake, where I expect they will die horribly at the first opportunity. Should be interesting.

I don't see how. It's in a small region, not on an island or anything. Admittedly it's on the other side of mountain range, but I'm 99% sure they can get around that, since it ends a little bit before tundra
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9277 on: December 29, 2010, 03:01:25 pm »

I could really use some migrants right now.  The last two or three migrant waves (and the last dwarven caravan) were killed by goblins who were waiting outside.  Right now I have 25 dwarves, but at least 6 of them are Resting (permanently, I imagine), and a few more have gone crazy. 

My doctors are all dead, mostly at the hands of the Captain of the Guard.  The former Chief Medical Dwarf is now the mayor.  He's also bedridden and constantly tantruming.

I've ordered a few of my workers to become farmers (they haven't had a farm up and running in years), but they don't seem too interested in working on that.

My FPS is contantly fluctuating between mid-30s and single digits.  It's kind of a drag.

On the bright side, I'm getting lots of engraving done.  So that's cool.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #9278 on: December 29, 2010, 04:03:38 pm »

Now its not just the foot rot, theres new syndrome which causes dorfs to fall down and suffocate. Fun!
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #9279 on: December 29, 2010, 05:33:58 pm »

Now its not just the foot rot, theres new syndrome which causes dorfs to fall down and suffocate. Fun!
Foot rot and lung rot? It could be rotting the nerves in the feet...

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9280 on: December 29, 2010, 05:54:51 pm »

I wish I could remember where those alligators were before Winter struck. Then I could dig up some Frozen Aliigator-Pops.

Good riddance, too. The bastards killed three of my original seven.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9281 on: December 29, 2010, 05:57:55 pm »

I've started a fortress with a goal of being as effiecent as possible. E.G : Barracks near the fort entrance, finished goods stockpiles next to depot, compact bedrooms.

I've dug the depot area and finished goods stockpiles.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9282 on: December 29, 2010, 06:02:13 pm »

4 migrants. We're back to... 164 dwarfs now. And one of them is a damn competent marksdwarf at last. But still too few.
Could someone please remind me to never complain about migration waves anymore later?
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9283 on: December 29, 2010, 06:16:57 pm »

The thawed river shows a significant lack of dead alligators.

I've also found what I'll be trading. My second migrant wave brought me a Legendary Stonecrafter! And I have a heck of a lot of otherwise useless claystone.

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9284 on: December 29, 2010, 06:54:31 pm »

I made a mistake early on with dfliquids while giving excess pets a lava bath in an unfinished room, and now there are several permanently hot tiles in the middle of what is now the dining room.
I'm using a fire immune race, and did not notice until clothes began burning off and pets began "bleeding" to death in a cloud of smoke... after I had already finished the room, which is large enough to seat 132.  :o
Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 3837