Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5858800 times)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9360 on: January 02, 2011, 12:09:27 pm »

snip
I've, reluctantly, decided that my Gorlak has to be put down, because a hammerdwarf/Marksdwarf took it on him or herself to use it for target practice and now it's too heavily wounded to properly survive (a lot of things broken and smashed open) so I'll have to have her finished.  :-[

I placed the marksdwarf squad near the Gorlak and she was being hit with a bismuth bronze crossbow by the previously mentioned hammer/marks and the captain was standing nearby, so I gave a real kill order on it, so it would get shot instead of pummeled to death. The MC promptly fired the wrong way. Or so I thought. After a flight of three z-levels and quite a bit diagonally her finely crafted iron bolt crashed and broke JUST in front of a wolf I didn't even know was there. :o
Nice. A few more of those shots, misses, later the Marksdwarf captain became an elite marksdwarf with great marksdwarf skill.

Edit, wait. It wasn't the Mcaptain, it was a simple hunter/marksdwarf. My starting huntress. :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 12:19:57 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9361 on: January 02, 2011, 02:12:56 pm »

Bouldercatches is a really resilient fort for how little I care about it. A quick recap, the design was to have the first expedition be a complete failure save for the initial carving and design of the fort. The second expedition would take over with a nice starting advantage.

But the first group took forever to die. it had about a dozen ambushes, too little food, not enough water, a few berserk dwarves, unhappy people and so forth. They destroyed the bridge and re-created it. Yet somehow they still have tons of food, and were able to build 2 iron trade depots, a wooden floor to the finished goods pile, a bunch of iron crafting areas, a HUGE open area, 4 smoothed-stone barracks for separate squads, a nice large walled-in entranceway, and a craved out area for some 48 rooms (and so on). And yet even with the latest group of ambushes, bringing about 80 dwarves down to 30, multiple berseker dwarves, they still wont die!

When the FUN actually comes, this dwarves will have a LOT of blood and guts hanging around to clean up.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9362 on: January 02, 2011, 02:14:32 pm »

Part 41 of my LP is up.

Yes, it's been over 3 years and I only just now made a graveyard. Despite the fortress being haunted by 4 ghosts. You don't need to point out the problem there.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

feather240

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9363 on: January 02, 2011, 02:56:41 pm »

I wanted to make a crypt for adventure mode so I put all my dwarfs inside a burrow inside an engraved burial tomb, right now they're all throwing tantrums. (Not A Secret Elf <.<)

Cannabust

• Bay Watcher
  • Prick with a pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9364 on: January 02, 2011, 03:44:18 pm »

i  have a pretty novice fort goin now, no migrants yet and everything is going pretty alright, when some elves drop by to trade. I let them in and proceed to seal my depot out so they are now stuck in a little room with all their items and animals, waiting to leave. But I don't think I'm gonna let them out, is there anything I can do to make them suffer? Or perhaps should I just let them starve in there after eating all their food and then camels?

And then I get a wave of migrants, oh dwarf fort you so meta.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 03:46:27 pm by Cannabust »
Current Adventurer: Fel AXESEVER, the MOUNTAINOUS VIOLENCE
http://new-eggbert.myminicity.com/ind (WE NEED FACTORIES!)
Armok needs blood, I just do it with picks.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9365 on: January 02, 2011, 03:59:06 pm »

Goddamn(Giant) bat slew my grower by bleeding out, only to be slain by my miner. Then, the Illithid Outpost Brain Wrestler gets punched in the head and 1-shot by my Glassmaker, who only suffered bruising.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9366 on: January 02, 2011, 06:05:45 pm »

I started my next fort prior to heading to work.  It looks to be fairly decent.  An aquifer that seems to be centered on the river and no where else, plenty of fish, herbs, logs, and stone where I'm digging, easily defendable once I get some walls built and deployed.  Almsot up to my first witner, and two migrant waves, and already lost two useless dwarves (a thresher and a cheese maker) to insanity!
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9367 on: January 02, 2011, 06:09:56 pm »

So I gave up on building on the surface. These caverns are much more worthy of my attention. I've built a trade road spiraling down into the first cavern, then it goes across a short distance and into another tunnel up three levels. That's where I'm building - so every visitor to my fort has to go through the cavern. I've also explored down the passage to the second cavern, which isn't far down.

My leader/mason just made a native platinum weapon rack, worth about 154K. The entire worth of everything else in my fort is about 26k... Unfortunately, it was a possession, so still no legendary mason.

EDIT: oh, forgot something... I traded a few gems from my early quarrying to the elves. In exchange for a giant lion. WAR GIANT LION? Hell yes!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 06:12:12 pm by MooUK »

Atramedes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9368 on: January 02, 2011, 06:16:11 pm »

Speaking of Goddamn Bats, 2 Giant bats flew up the shaft to the cavern i forgot about, and promptly, with the help of 5 or 6 giant rats, slew a kid and 5 dwarves before the pair of miners i drafted into the military, both legendary, proceeded to rip apart/gouge to death all the animals. I put a few hatch covers over the shaft and thought that would hold it. Not quite.

A dread troll a couple minutes later smashes all my grates, and proceeds to storm up the stairs to my fort. A hauler and my two military miners proceeded to rip his spine open and bash his face in. No casualties.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #9369 on: January 02, 2011, 06:23:42 pm »

After 3 forgotten beasts, there was a fourth one which actually did damage.

I don't get how this exactly works.

My swordsman just chopped it in half with one swing. Too bad there were injuries:

There also was a mining accident, with 2 of my miners getting hurt. One of them can't walk. Darn.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9370 on: January 02, 2011, 06:32:45 pm »

After half my fort died of thirst due to salt water and booze running out, some well-timed immigrants arrived. I'm giving the one that actually builds the well the best bedroom of the deceased dwarves. Heck, the best period.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9371 on: January 02, 2011, 06:45:26 pm »

I'm getting an itch for a megaproject.  Some kind of Armok-temple type thing.  I'll probably wait until I'm done with Dreamnets, though. 
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9372 on: January 02, 2011, 08:18:10 pm »

Was forced to kill two dwarves from my elite fighting force who were "terminally bedridden".

Damn healthcare bugs! One of them was completely without injury, and he yet refused to wake up.

They actually died while I attempted to reinjure them. Apparently it's fun to fall spine-first.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9373 on: January 02, 2011, 08:37:57 pm »

Metaldipped just got a wave of 9 migrants, bringing the population to 121. That is, if they all survived. Nord ambush (Genesis mod) and 7 were almost instantly killed. The other two escaped, but 1 died of blood loss in the hospital due to an arrow in the liver, the left leg, and the head. The survivor was... a Legendary wood-burner. More ambush-sweepers.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:40:33 pm by Detonate »
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9374 on: January 02, 2011, 09:00:05 pm »

A freak accident with pumps involving lots of water and a sealed fort.
Spoiler: Large Image (click to show/hide)
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.
Pages: 1 ... 623 624 [625] 626 627 ... 3836