Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 [632] 633 634 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861570 times)

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9465 on: January 06, 2011, 10:29:56 am »

My woodcutter left his axe outside the fort before it was sealed, and it was stolen by a thief. Now I'm in a bit of a picky, as I only have 7 pick axes left that can be used as weapons, no bituminous coal or lignite, and the only forest is 12 z-levels above the gate to my fortress. Oh and I'll repeat; the thief stole my only axe. I need something to do to pass the time until the next caravan, which I hope will carry wood. Or an axe. Or at the very least coal.

Update: Well, the elven caravan has arrived for the first time in 3 fortresses. Their donations will be welcomed by the denizens of Truthfulfloors.
Edit: I couldn't help it. When the caravan passed over the drawbridge, I raised it. The elf fell into the moat, and his her items were scattered across the mountain.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 11:51:03 am by Serio »

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9466 on: January 06, 2011, 10:51:22 am »

Trifle pewter [serrated disc], and I installed it in my Baron's room. Keeps him happy!

Is that how your baron trims his beard in the morning?

Yes. Then he orders the construction of Brass items, which he loves. Coincidentally, I'm up to my ears in brass. Or he orders cabinets, he loves those.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9467 on: January 06, 2011, 11:14:11 am »

I have created an extremely efficient fortress design. There are no hallways- only the stairway shaft.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

High Tensegrity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9468 on: January 06, 2011, 12:55:20 pm »

Awesome fort, built into a dome over a volcano peak, going well so far after five years. Reporting in this thread because my mayor cancelled a meeting to go into a strange mood. I really wonder what was spoken between he and the liaison to make the mayor withdraw from society and the liaison angrily storm out.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9469 on: January 06, 2011, 01:39:09 pm »

Apparently Combinering has a new mayor. I switched over all the old items to keep him happy before I realized he had a mandate. "oh great, it better not be aluminum or platinum or somethign".

No, he asks for giant cave swallow leather items (2). WTF? seriously? cave swallow? who asks for cave swallow...

If I get my leatherworker killed because we don't have giant cave swallow leather, this noble is being slaughtered by the captain of the guard.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Jachim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9470 on: January 06, 2011, 03:16:24 pm »

In my fort, my danger room has killed about 20 children and 10 babies. I'm miffed that I'm running out of space in my nicely built tomb for them all. >:(

Surprisingly, a bronze colossus just showed up. I sent my military out to meet it and they managed to CUT IT IN HALF. o.O God I love legendary axedorfs.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9471 on: January 06, 2011, 04:32:44 pm »

The king died the second he appeared on my map. But on the bright side, among the bunch of migrants, almost everyone is a legendary warrior of some sort, or physically fit enough to be enrolled. here we go!
Also, a cook just got a fey mood... and went to a craftdwarf's shop, starting with elk bird bone. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-oh, good, he's not taking anything really important for his artifact, at the very least.
My main goal was achieved. From now on, no more savescumming.
The real FunŽ begins.
Starting soon with the activation of the mist generator in a more permanent way when I'm done digging some parts and pumping other stuff. There are at least two beast sicknesses running around that could be treated if I bothered to remove all potentially-tainted floor grates, but how would that be dwarfy? All the better if everyone becomes ill because of the shiny waterfall! Too bad I can't consider using magma in any significant way because of its location.

EDIT: "Finderobeyed the Fortunate mechanism". A giant elk bird bone axe blade worth 23760(!!!) with, of course, no decoration whatsoever. But I'm pleasantly surprised! This one will go in a weapon trap in the entrance.  :D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 06:22:36 pm by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9472 on: January 06, 2011, 04:35:59 pm »

There is a goblin ambush near the entrance of my fort.  They start shooting bolts at my dwarf building a road.

Combat Message:  The Miner bats the flying ({iron bolt}) out of the air!

This miner dwarf is epic.
I play games of games inside games in my head.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9473 on: January 06, 2011, 05:06:20 pm »

Siege number 2 for Combinering. There was a general at first, but he left quickly. Shame, I was going to send a squad after just him. Oh well, I do have a hammer lord to attack, and there is a squad of trolls...

All defeated, lots of goblinite to melt. While it looks like some were wounded, none were killed directly. I'll have to watch to see if they recover properly, we cna't have soldiers missing their upper leg.

Some of the combat reports are pretty interesting btw. The troll tactics seem to be "charge and leap!", rather than anything comprehensive. I'm not suprised they weren't effective against well equipped soldiers. The goblins actually proved to be more resilient though, look at this chain of events:

the Glove slashes the goblin axeman in the head with his *Steel short sword*, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain through the giant cave spider silk hood!
An artery has been opened by the attack!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The goblin Axeman has been knocked unconscious.

that's right, not dead, unconscious.

Aside from that, it appears my dwarves are a bit merciful (or cruel, depending on how you look at it), with a lto of their strikes being with the flat of the blade. It cant be easy to slap a goblin in the head with the flat of an sword, but it's got to be harder with the flat of an ax.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9474 on: January 06, 2011, 05:30:03 pm »

I have created an extremely efficient fortress design. There are no hallways- only the stairway shaft.

Whaaa?!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #9475 on: January 06, 2011, 06:52:19 pm »

the Glove slashes the goblin axeman in the head with his *Steel short sword*, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain through the giant cave spider silk hood!
[...]
The goblin Axeman has been knocked unconscious.
that's right, not dead, unconscious.

No, that definatly killed him. Death messages aren't always guaranteed to appear for some reason.

In my fort... a weaponsmith goes fey! Oh yes oh yes oh yes!
Grab some metal! No, not the copper! The steel! Yes! Sure, have some logs! And some cloth! Marble's also good!
Oh yes he's building it! I can't wait to give this to one of my dwa-
Urist McWeaponsmith has created Edanomer, an enormous steel corkscrew!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

... Shit. In the trap corridor it goes. You better make up for this with some masterful weapons.

"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9476 on: January 06, 2011, 07:09:23 pm »

I think that's incredibly badass.  And cave-crawlers seem like the perfect decoration, for some reason.  Kind of reminds me of that giant drill on wheels in The Labyrinth.

Anyway, I just got a big migrant wave.  A lot of them were killed by goblin hammermen right at their spawning-point, but I'd say about half made it past them.  There was a High Master Gem Setter in the wave, I'm really hoping he made it through.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Ipwnurmom221

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9477 on: January 06, 2011, 07:21:18 pm »

A fey mood got me an artifact loincloth... with an image of my artifact door.

At least nothing has images of itself on it... yet...
"I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year, I can't move a foot in any direction, I spend all my days being attacked by animals, and I've been forced to drink sheep puke- wow that's a nice floor grate!"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9478 on: January 07, 2011, 02:16:27 am »

Playing a kobold fort in a duplicate stone-rawed world. Seems to have only made the oceanic soil types appear in terrestrial soil layers, and hematite and limonite appear as layer stones, both of which I have. If only kobolds knew how to smelt steel...
I recently had a basilisk attack. I set up a door and then walls to keep it out. Turns out the walls were unnecessary since i forgot i didn't make them building destroyers. She killed one of our caravan's animals, spilling it's load, then chased around the merchant that dragged it along for a while before it escaped to the north. Now we're being ambushed by our dwarf-sized, more intelligent cousins the Cobalds, who like the other 'civilized' races wish us nothing but suffering in return for our elimination of their FPS-killing random crap. Their leader is a swordsman, the other 10-12 are spearmen, (women actually, only two are men, there's some odd demographics!) and are accompanied by a war grizzly bear. I expect them to make short work of the basilisk, but they may well be slaughtered and retreat.
The Cobalds have access to 'cobaldilium', which is a pretty decent match for steel, and is made from copper and cobaltite.

As I expected, the basilisk was completely unable to protect itself. It was slain by one of the two male cobalds, but there isn't a list of kills on their spears so I'm hoping for an engraving as a record. The only respectable engraver wants to engrave nothing but a blind cave ogre named Domecit Declineboiled, who apparently did nothing mentionable except live in this very mountain range. Maybe I'll get a couple later.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 02:30:22 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9479 on: January 07, 2011, 03:12:32 am »

I dunno how my fort is gonna handle this...

Reveredpapers was doing quite well despite being 10 Z levels down now, in year 4, and still have yet to encounter magma, caverns, or anything to make anything beyond COPPER with... and I got attacked by an Ettin. "OH SHIT!" I though, an Ettin and all my military is in a mix-match of copper and leather armor with copper/steel weapons I traded for.  Much like my last fort when I got attacked by a semibeast, a Minotaur, I thought I was completely boned.  The Ettin charged down the mountain, decided to play with me by destroying my fisheries and gave me enough time to call in my 30 Military dwarves to action as they rushed to the only entrance to my fort to face the Ettin.  By the time the Ettin has killed my 5th Fishery he then decided to stop pussy footing around and charged at my wall of military!  Judging from the 60 pages of combat text that followed he grabbed my Militia commander by her arm... then proceeded to get pummeled, pricked, bonked, and smacked with feathery pillows as he proceeded to slowly go from all white to all red with blood covering the ENTIRE entrance to my fort.  Turns out the only REAL damaging blow that happened at the start was his legs getting crushed by my Hammerdwarf and his (bang bang Maxwell) Silver Hammer so he couldn't escape as everyone slowly poked him to death.

End result?  One militia commander with a bruised arm.

Not long after this I called off the alarm, rebuilt my fisheries, put my commander in my hospital, and went about my business when suddenly... "An ambush! Curse them!" *Oh crap!* I thought and raised the alarm again and once more 29 military dwarves RUSH... to meet 3 swordgoblins, clad in all cloth and LEATHER with SILVER swords head-on.  Unlike the Ettin they didn't putz about and rushed right at my wall of dwarves. What happened next... confused and infuriates me.  In the blink of an eye my 29 military dwarves... turn to 5 and their 3 Swordgoblins went from 3... to 1. Now this single goblin proceeded to single handed rape my 110 Fort down to 75.  I was actually grabbing random dwarves off my military screen to fling at him and FINALLY I managed to get that goblin killed.

I have no doubts that, since my hospital is filled to the brim AND my doctors are retarded, I have a tantrum spiral incoming... and I was liking Reveredpapers so much too.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 [632] 633 634 ... 3836