Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5865117 times)

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9900 on: January 19, 2011, 06:33:14 pm »

HOLY SHIT I CAUGHT A DRAGON AND SHE BURNT ALL THE POTENTIALLY INFECTED CORPSES TOO.
And then Dwarf Fortress immediately crashed.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9901 on: January 19, 2011, 06:51:44 pm »

I've come to realize that any threat to combinering big enough to cause real FUN would probably run the FPS below 1. The resulting time dilation would make it so the FUN effective never happened. Combinering was thus abandoned, and raws were changed to lower the population cap.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9902 on: January 19, 2011, 09:03:37 pm »

Discovered the value of encrusting finished goods. A ☼2350 tradable scepter? I think so.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9903 on: January 19, 2011, 09:41:15 pm »

NatureRags Post 9: Start | Previous Post(8) | Next Post(10)

Another bone carver is possessed.  Seriously, why so many possessions?  I mean, there's about two hundred ghosts floating around, but it's not like they knew how to make stupid bone trinkets before they bit the dust.  So he gathers a few complete skeletons, two stacks of gold bars and a few other knicks and knacks.  Out comes Stakepears! The Bean of Floods! (Punctuation optional).  It's a stupid horsebone cage.  I'm tempted to chuck it in the magma so he goes insane, but as it is we're already hitting a razor edge on happiness quality around here, and I'd hate for everyone to go down fighting everyone.

Speaking of happiness, the military is getting unhappy, which is unfortunate because they have all the axes and armor.  Apparently they don't like sparring in a snowstorm, although I don't know how they got cave adaptation on top of it.  They were only walled in for 3 or 4 years!  Their training was cut in half so they have 6 months off, and the required amount of dwarven targets for training cut in half too.  Maybe some of them with broken limbs will get some bed rest or something.

A kobold raiding party shows up, probably emboldened (see what I did there?) by stealing all of my steel armaments when we decided on the unpopular but effective screw the outside world movement.  4 bowbolds (uh oh) and a spearbold (huh) in all.  Here's how the first entanglement went...
Pregame report:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The expected result:
This mason goes on to absolutely perforate a kobold bowman until he bleeds out.  I think we'll be giving her a wide berth from now on.  Anyone that takes a sword to the mason's shop should be avoided, or at least respected from a distance greater than arm's reach.

Fey mood (not a possession, thank Armok's fiery bones), this time from a brewer, which is great cause we're about to be a dry town pretty soon, and I need one of my two brewers to go nuts and start babbling about stone and rocks and bones and whatever.  I don't care what he makes, if it hasn't got a proof higher than 0, he's not getting any accolades for this. Craftsdwarf shop claimed, the site of such other massive failures as the bone earring and bone cage.  I expect only failure to come out of this.  And it's an obsidian crown, with only one image on it, that of the ascension of the queen Catten... Plankman? Someone dropped the ball on naming duty there.

Then some elves show up, and as I plan to dump all my finest wooden products on, they're followed closely by a siege of 78 goblins and 14 trolls.  Against my army of 10, minus whoever is too drunk or tired to bother to show up for the coming apocalypse.  Might be time to start walling in the civvies again... but at least the elves will get killed, I'll have that going in my favor.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 07:29:40 pm by LealNightrunner »
Current Fort: NatureRags

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9904 on: January 19, 2011, 09:42:23 pm »

Leaders Log (unnamed)

Our diviner has found a nice place to settle. He says that beneath the sand and river there will be a a nice cave full of stone and fully protected from the outside elves. I'm sick of seeing elvish caravans, so this is good news. We settle right next to the brook 'Stonecarried the Legendary Mushroom'. Even the name sounds promising.

It is winter, so I have the miner carve out the river quickly. He's not the brightest, but he said he learned a cool way to dig through guidance from the diviner. He promptly digs beneath the ice and forms a nice stockpile a few stories below the earth. I have him carve a spot for a future well with the river water, and then to dig deeper until we find a cave.
--
The cave was quick in coming, and I am excited by the great marble and ~!--!
--
Troglodytes! We lost one in the attack. I've ordered the mason to start building walls around the area. Our miner says this green stone we have is a malachite. I'm not particularly excited, but it will work.
--
Stupid stupid dwarves I'm with. I told them to clean up the area, I didn't mean beyond the wall. They canceled one of teh sections of wall so that they could gather the troglodyte and rat corpses. I've lost 4 more to a giant Toad. The wall was completed immediately
--
It's spring now, and it's must the two of us. The way back out is flooded. The diviner is dead. I've tried to start a farm, but we're doomed, we're not going to make it at this point. Press on! that's what the diviner woudl say. That's it, I can't take it anymore. That other dwarf has to die.
--
*found in the blood-soaked clutches of a dwarf corpse, it's head apparantly beaten against a wall in a berserker rage*
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9905 on: January 19, 2011, 10:20:42 pm »

ordered my masterwork golden crafts in the treasure vault to be encrusted with sapphire.  First one I check is a miniforge (toy) encrusted with an image of a child being killed by a goblin 3 years ago.  Best toy ever.  "and that's why you don't play outside, little one."
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9906 on: January 20, 2011, 02:38:42 am »

There, caught a hydra instead.
... my first captive semi-megabeast.  :'(
Now, what to do with it.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Makigall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9907 on: January 20, 2011, 03:27:02 am »

Anvilstrike has reached its fourth year.  We've finally gotten the danger room up and running and have the first squad of 10 Axedwarfs up to snuff.  I generally try to keep goblin prisoners fully equipped because I feel it gives some challenge to the executions, and my Axe squad showed they were ready by hacking apart the 5 prisoners I decided were too dangerous to pit and use as archery targets.  One even managed to take a goblin head off in a single attack.

I've begun digging out what will become the tombs of my legendary military dwarfs.  After an early bit of Fun that resulted in the my first real need for a slab, which read something along the lines of "Here lies Urist McAtomsmashed.  The color blue made him happy," I've decided that upon earning their fifth kill each warrior will be awarded a tomb.  In this tomb will be their steel coffin and slabs engraved with the names of all the goblins they've killed.

I still need to clear the crundles out of the first cavern and get my silk operation up and running properly.  This is going to be a serious undertaking with a small fort controlling a choke point in the cavern and if I can find a suitable place for it a dwarf wash.  Though I think the forgotten beasts are still wandering around in the third cavern level.  I also need to actually mine out a residence for my first appointed noble BEFORE said noble gets appointed.  I've had too many run ins with tantruming barons.

I still despise looking at my legendary list.  Despite giving this fort what I thought would be a cool name my dwarfs have been inspired to other ends and have to date crafted the following legendary items: hoary marmot leather trousers, a cave spider silk sandal, a steel bracelet, a bituminous coal trumpet, a magnetite bracelet, a willow toy boat, and a cave spider silk sock.  Moods happen and I consider causing cave ins on anything near my craftsdwarf shop.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9908 on: January 20, 2011, 04:00:07 am »

bag is male. kidney is female.
Kidney? Looks like an amulet (or the insides of the female reproduction system) to me.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9909 on: January 20, 2011, 05:00:34 am »

The golden age of warhammer is now over.
Spoiler: This is so wrong (click to show/hide)

EDIT:I love taking screenshots of incoming buzzard swarms. Everybody hate them with a passion, so they are perfect eyecatches
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:34:46 am by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9910 on: January 20, 2011, 05:39:06 am »

Protip:  stockpile of food outside in a little shed with a few steel discs in the entrance corridor. Kitchen nearby.
Food generator!
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9911 on: January 20, 2011, 05:46:40 am »

My last fort? Well, I suspect there's some goblins partying inside right now.

Fucking goblins.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9912 on: January 20, 2011, 05:51:03 am »

My last fort? Well, I suspect there's some goblins partying inside right now.

Fucking goblins.
reclaim it and show them who's boss.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9913 on: January 20, 2011, 07:07:47 am »

It is now winter of the year 252 at the fortress of Shellsglazed, and the fledgling outpost founded for no reason in particular prospers under the watchful gaze of Meng Faileddike (title to be remembered later) the Untouchable Giantslayer. She began her tenure at Shellsglazed as the sole defender of their little hole in the ground, and took up weaving in her spare time. Armed with nothing but a +meteoric iron battle axe+ and pure dwarven grit, she has so far steadily repelled all invading threats, up to and including the green drake (something) Blossomace the Icy Crafts and the giantess (something) (something) the Superior Quest, sustaining absolutely no injuries (aside from accidentally inhaling the drake's dying breath and spending a month or so puking her guts out on the far side of the mountain). She is happily married to the chief doctor, and they are expecting a child before the end of the year. A replacement has been nominated (the local fish dissector farmer) for Meng's position during her maternity leave.

An interesting thing I noticed while browsing her (r)elationships screen - she has a grudge against one of the initial seven; one of two metalsmiths. The other metalsmith was a friend of hers. The first metalsmith is better at weaponsmithing, but waaaaay back at the start, the other metalsmith (who was better at armoring) ended up having to make Meng her axe when the first refused to do it. I love the little stories that can just pop out of nowhere here.
くコ:彡

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9914 on: January 20, 2011, 07:43:37 am »

Large image warning
Spoiler: critical miss (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 3836