Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 663 664 [665] 666 667 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5864222 times)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9960 on: January 21, 2011, 04:26:39 pm »

Bravenet, just entered first autumn - 11 brave dwarves, mostly female.  Worrying.  Also hit caverns very close to the surface (11 levels down) so am trying to wall off a good sized chunk until I get a working metal industry and weapons, etc...

I abandoned my search for an embark site with flux, a volcano, trees and fresh water when I found a site with two rivers where we were AT WAR with the elves. After fort upon fort of trying to provoke the pointy eared b@st@rds to attack me, I finally might be able to get invaded...

But instead of a waterfall with the rivers joining, they are both separate, with one much higher than the other.  Any ideas or suggestions to get the best result when I divert one into the other?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9961 on: January 21, 2011, 05:20:14 pm »

A pump, leading into a channel which will connect with the lower river, through the use of an intricate circuit of pumps and thingymajigs?
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9962 on: January 21, 2011, 06:05:11 pm »

A Giant Earthworm raced up from the first cavern layer (which has a lake and a magma pipe) to the outside and fled off the map. I am amused and bewildered by this behavior.

Four seconds after being 'born' he probably thought, "An earthworm? A giant one, but an earthworm? Fuck this shit, I'm outta here the first chance I get. I'll murder a human, wear his clothes and face, and try to pass myself off as a quadrapelegic poet."

Or this?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9963 on: January 21, 2011, 06:51:29 pm »

A Giant Earthworm raced up from the first cavern layer (which has a lake and a magma pipe) to the outside and fled off the map. I am amused and bewildered by this behavior.

Four seconds after being 'born' he probably thought, "An earthworm? A giant one, but an earthworm? Fuck this shit, I'm outta here the first chance I get. I'll murder a human, wear his clothes and face, and try to pass myself off as a quadrapelegic poet."

Or this?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now I think we're getting somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:01:58 pm by Buttery_Mess »
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9964 on: January 21, 2011, 08:43:28 pm »

So I decided to do a quick save scum and see about the history of the Fleshy Pick, the civilization that the  now 15 remaining dwarves of Duskmountain are from.  The first entry from ledgends states that in year 1, the bride of the bleak monster Sodel Arrowsounds the Crypts of Death became the general of The Fleshy Pick, she lost the position a year later to a better suited dwarf, later she becomes an enemy of the civ. It seems that whereever these dwarves settled they had some major issues with various monsters.
It also seems that early on they were at war with the goblin civ known as the Balanced Torments. Before the year 15  most of their first cities were pillaged by the goblins before the dwarves offered a peace treaty. After that they were visiously attaked by the Civ known as The Hate of Women, who seemed to take great pleasure in mutilating and/or impaling  the corpses of the leaders of the Fleshy Pick on pikes. O.o It seems if you're the leader of the Fleshy Pick you only have about 6 months left to live. This goes on for 12 years, before the Balanced Torments start occasionally attacking again for a few years. Then the two civs seem to join forces with the Hate of Women doing the brunt of the attacking, finally ending with the destruction of the fortress of Blockatdefastens and the  impalement of the King in 103. Thats the last bit of dwarven history before the settlement of Duskmountain, ~400 years later.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9965 on: January 21, 2011, 09:23:33 pm »

A macegoblin ambush came by. Tore through my military, most of whom were either unarmed or had no ammo, but lost steam when two of them hit cage traps. The rest of them were swarmed by the survivors of the military(~8 guys, had ~16 or so to start) and were pummeled to death. Another macegoblin ambush, but that one was apparently taken out by the just arrived human caravan or something, since it didn't bother my military any. Of the casualties(7 or so dead, 4 wounded), three of the wounded look like they'll be out of action for a long time, maybe permanently(none have Cannot Stand or Cannot Grasp, though, so there's hope).

Designing a killzone for my entrance to the fort. A single 3-tile-wide bridge leading to the entrance. The plan is for weak weapon traps at the front to exaust them, or force them to dodge into a spike-filled pit. There is a start-point for a brook at the site of the pit, though. Do creatures that land in water still get impaled on spikes?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9966 on: January 21, 2011, 10:02:19 pm »

Apparently I have cave swallow people on my map.

EDIT: AN AMBUSH! CURSE ALL FRIENDS OF NATURE!

Probably x10. I copied the elven entity over ten times (numbering them to avoid duplicate raw shenanigans).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:32:29 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9967 on: January 22, 2011, 12:53:07 am »

Just got 25 immigrants, 15 of them were masons.

Goodie, we're always accepting people to work in our sweat shop block factory.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9968 on: January 22, 2011, 01:05:48 am »

I saved and quit when the ambush notice appeared. Loading it up now, I forgot that I had given elves [SPEED:0].

So I saved again and removed it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9969 on: January 22, 2011, 01:13:42 am »

I chained up 2 war elephants a war dog at my entrance, if the snatchers/thieves don't get trampled flat when they are found they probably won't have the guts to go any farther.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9970 on: January 22, 2011, 01:31:22 am »

A dwarf took two gems and made a throne out of it.
This is a yellow jasper throne. All Craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of palms in yellow jasper. On the item is an image of waves in brown jasper.
He must've been creating a beach, but forgot the beach part.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9971 on: January 22, 2011, 03:00:25 am »

Bravenet has reached the insanely busy part, as under-represented professions go moody (I've got two glass forges, as when someone occupies one, they invariably want whatever glass I don't have), goblins invade (a little goblin-on-goblin violence was enlightening - any ideas what's going on? (Details below)), the elves have finally turned up and want blood, or sap or something, and I've just discovered a "curious underground structure" peopled with undead slugmen and tigermen.... I don't think I'll explore it yet...

Two ambushes turned up side-by-side, on the other side of my artificial lake, and while I was watching the dwarven caravan deal with the third ambush, on the other side of the map, I noticed combat reports while no fighting was happening - zoom in on it, and the two northern ambushes have slaughtered each other, leaving a one-armed macegoblin who wandered into a trap...

Still, I've got coal, and have just found gold, silver and copper in a granite layer between caverns one and two, so that's a good addition, and I built my main bridge over the gorge with a substantial overhang, and invaders tend to gather on the edge and then get squashed.  Good fun. 

But either the elves, the goblins, or the undead party in the basement will get me - I wonder which....

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9972 on: January 22, 2011, 04:58:39 am »

A Dragon just tried to storm my fortress. My military charged it. Several small wounds, a burned dwarf and a torn-off arm later, we now have another exhibit for the impressive dead stuff room (with inscribed memorial slabs next to each, just so my dwarfs know what's what).

While it was happening, a Blind Cave Ogre ate one of my dwarf's children... well, ate the leg anyway.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9973 on: January 22, 2011, 05:17:40 am »

The end of year 3 of Duskmountain approaches. Tragedy struck early this year when two separate ambushes appeared, each killing one dwarf.  It was a heavy blow felt keenly by the remaining 15 dwarves. My two hammerdwarves have trained up nicely in the new danger room and are now capable of defending the shattered remains of their race. Not that they're ever needed, the cowardly goblins run the moment one gets so much as a single scratch from my weapon traps. I've never been a fan of loads of traps, but lack of migrants necessitates it.

The metric shit tons of alligators my cage traps have been collecting are finally being turned in to tamed alligators. If I cant have an army of dwarves, then I shall have an army of alligators, jaguars, and wolves! :3

Not much else has happened this year, had 8 simultaneous ambushes each led by a human during the early summer. I am unsure if they all revealed at once because of a loyalty cascade or because of the buzzard invasion happening at the same time. Only two squads actually survived long enough to get to my traps, at which point one goblin got a scratch and promptly ran away -_-.  Oh and humans finally arrived.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Bluesproto

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Anti Hero
    • View Profile
    • My game, a Medieval RPG. Sort of.
« Reply #9974 on: January 22, 2011, 05:21:46 am »

I'm trying to build an execution device that use magma mist to kill all the goblins that i captured from the last siege. I've already tried to build it five times. I failed...

PS: I'm starting to think that Dwarf fortress is some kind of tool created by the devil to make us be unprepared to the end of the world becuse we were playing and posting in the forum (page number=666)
Dear Urist: I, the overseer, appreciate your point of view about the danger that an unarmed goblin can represent at the other side of a fortification when you try to kill it with a ballista, but, as you know, you're not paid to think. And a mindless worker is a happy worker, so shut up and do your job.

You are a Hero, an fantasy adventure with dragons, mages, ninjas and Norse mythology
Pages: 1 ... 663 664 [665] 666 667 ... 3836