Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787546 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1485 on: February 25, 2010, 10:28:21 pm »

You know, just about every time I get close to finishing a project, I seem to find some way to improve upon it or think of a completely new one that the fort of course just wouldn't be complete without. Sigh. I guess I need to start digging out the land for a spring in the mountain that feeds a winding river down 60z of the mountainface into a brand-new lakebed -_-

Edit: Also, happy 100 pages of this very enjoyable thread! :D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:07:53 pm by Retro »

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: February 25, 2010, 11:11:22 pm »

Edit: Also, happy 100 pages of this very enjoyable thread! :D
Hear hear!  Cake for everyone who made this 100 page a reality.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: February 25, 2010, 11:14:44 pm »

Tried to build a above grown city in a haunted area. All 7 got killed by a single zombie croc. Restart in nicer area!

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: February 25, 2010, 11:49:31 pm »

Well, turns out I'm at war with the elves - I learnt this because they ambushed me in my first year, it took 5 of my starting dwarves lives to survive. My farmer was bezerking and chasing around my miner, I was just about to abandon when, "some migrants have arrived".

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: February 26, 2010, 01:17:04 am »

A donkey just gave birth to seven foals o_O. Wasn't sure that was even possible. I'd never gotten more than the rare three before, usually just one or two.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:59:22 am by Retro »

belannaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: February 26, 2010, 04:20:27 am »

Started a new fort which very quickly went downhill. It was a 6x6 mountain with all the nice stuff I wanted except a river, well it did have a underground river so I wasn't too worried about it. It also had chasm running from side to side ensuring TONS of fun creatures to pester me. My embarking point was directly on top of the chasm and as the spot was too small I didn't get wagons at all so all my goods were scattered around on the mountain slope, great.

Right at the start a group of antmen attacked my dwarves, none which were trained in combat in anyway, but they luckily fended them off and paved the mountain side with ichor. I drafted my woodcutter to be on guard all the time and he went around to clear the area a bit from ratmen, antmen and troglotydes and got his spine injured.

The woodcutter anyways made good enough job to clear it so I could start mining the spot I wanted to build my fort in. Mining went ok until two groups of 5 antmen decided to check out the new cave and my miners and them had a bit of struggle. No casualties or wounds but overall mood was going way down from all the drafting and sleeping on the floors etc.

Anyways I managed to finish first defensive line of my future fort, which I was planning to use as temporary home for my dwarves until expanding deeper into the mountain. Build few beds and tables and chairs and my woodcutter goes to rest his injury there. Then I start to haul my stuff into the fort from the mountain slope until I notice that the woodcutter is thirsty and I make a bucket only to realize that all the small ponds had dried up from the sun so he was going to die of thirst in the future very likely (6 dwarves left).

At the same time a family of ~10 mountain macaques appear and go for my goods on the mountain side. I decide to try to protect them and draft my already unhappy dwarves to fend them off, which goes brilliantly until one of my miners gets knocked into the chasm (5 dwarves left). This makes all of my dwarves very unhappy and tantrum spiral happens.

First my miner decides to start a fist fight and runs after my mason, who was now doing woodcutter's jobs as well (so he had an axe). After running around the fortress he punches the mason few times who decides to lose it and goes berserk and proceeds to decapitate the miner (4 dwarves left, one being berserking lunatic).

This in turn makes my planter go insane and he jumps off the cliff into the chasm (3 dwarves left). My axe murderer now chases other miner around the map until they run into giant cave spider, whoo hey! The axe murderer naturally survives but the miner gets eaten by the giant cave spider (2 dwarves left), which naturally makes the last remaining dwarf lose it also and he goes insane as well.

So my grand plans for a new fort have been reduced into a spine injured woodcutter dying of thirst in a bed in near future, a lunatic dwarf who runs around the fortress naked babbling about end of the world while berserk axe murderer, giant cave spider and dozens of other monsters are out there to get them.

Time to abandon and never go back to that cursed place...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: February 26, 2010, 10:03:27 am »

Crossbows are OP, I always knew this, but they didn't seem all that bad really.

It seems I never had masterwork crossbows before...

3 Proficient Crossbowdracon, with masterwork bone crossbows, 1 z level up behind fortifications singlehandedly slaughtered an 79 goblin 1 elf seige.  About 50 goblins died before they took the hint and ran.

I did lose 1 to a design error though (I originally had 4).  It seems that when there is a higher location than the top of your walls within a couple tiles of your battlements it's a good Idea to build a roof.  One marksgoblin got the bright idea to rain death from the top of the canyon and got one before I moved the others into the safety of the ammo cave.

The annoying part isn't the death though, the annoying part is the *counts* 20 iron arrows stuck inside my fortifications that I wouldn't be able to remove without deconstructing my battlements.  Blast!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: February 26, 2010, 10:14:28 am »

Just preparing my proficient swarddwarves to repel 80 shruk siege. Playing a bet with other dwarves to see who will get to my fort first, those invaders or that elven caravan who got on the map just one day before.
Underground, following two kimberlite veins, praying like hell for diamonds there.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: February 26, 2010, 02:48:52 pm »

Just accidentally breached the cave river. I'm not sure if I want to try and capture the ~30 creatures in the river (I killed about 10 before I sealed the river off) and use them to make some trap for the Orcs, or rather dam the river so I can send a few champions down there for slaughter.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: February 26, 2010, 03:12:01 pm »

My hammerer just demanded a bed in his (hammer-shaped) dining room. Now that is true sloth.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: February 26, 2010, 04:13:59 pm »

Inod Syrupfountain and Obok Sprytomb, a carpenter and planter, marry.  Both of their parents were are in the military.  Idod's parents are Rovod Plankgrand the Ashamed Eagle-tuft (25 kills), and Kogan Paddlebasements the Naughty Word (19 kills).  I choose not to question her mothers family name, her title, and especially not whether the two are related.  Obok's parents are Onul Renownedtrumpets the Safe Zealot (15 kills) and Tekud Laborsquash the Umbral Gem of Mobbing (10 kills). 

Kobold tried to sneak in, with the unfortunate timing of doing so while one of my elite champion marksdwarves was heading to the range for some target practice.  Four shots were fired before the first bolt hit.  The kobold falls onto a weapon trap, and large, serrated blades sever his lower left leg, lower right arm, and split his right leg into thee pieces.

Human traders arrive.  For unexplained reasons, one of their merchants is crawling.  The military - an elite group of 6 marksdwarves with 50+ kills each and a large squad of 17 swordsdwarves - mobilize to ensure their safety.  A horse hauling a wagon startles a kobold out of hiding.  Six crossbow bolts pierce it before it hits the ground.

The last of the spring's sunberry crop comes in.  The Duchess complains about the lack of strawberry wine, and mandates the construction of another spear.

Goblins spring an ambush, thankfully after all of the merchants are inside.  The five last less than twenty seconds.

The Tower of Fu, a massive wooden statue of a middle finger facing north towards the elven lands, is completed, crafted from 760 wooden blocks of differing types of wood.  It is designated as a stockpile for lye, potash, ash, and coal.

The fortress guard, previously unarmed, is issued spears.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: February 26, 2010, 05:17:29 pm »

The Tower of Fu, a massive wooden statue of a middle finger facing north towards the elven lands, is completed, crafted from 760 wooden blocks of differing types of wood.  It is designated as a stockpile for lye, potash, ash, and coal.

:D
I like this very much.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: February 26, 2010, 06:28:57 pm »

:D
I like this very much.
Don't forget to chuck random animals off of it.

Aw, do the little elves love the horsey?

Throw the horsey off the tower.

Splat.

Fun for the whole (dwarven) family.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: February 26, 2010, 06:56:48 pm »

well kib mirroranvil and her 'friend' moved to a nice non-elven town.
so far I still haven't gotten her to reach lovers status after a few days of playing. is 'likes to be alone' a C.blocker? if so then I might have to convert this into a adventure megaproject, still don't know how to store items in heavy bins to keep from moving when I go to adv mode.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: February 26, 2010, 06:58:33 pm »

Inod Syrupfountain and Obok Sprytomb, a carpenter and planter, marry.  Both of their parents were are in the military.  Idod's parents are Rovod Plankgrand the Ashamed Eagle-tuft (25 kills), and Kogan Paddlebasements the Naughty Word (19 kills).  I choose not to question her mothers family name, her title, and especially not whether the two are related.

Especially since the father's title has 'ashamed' in it.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 3835