Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5836908 times)

Pafferguy

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1710 on: March 14, 2010, 07:00:09 pm »

So, basically, it is just a matter of luck whether you live or suffer horrible death... sounds like dwarf fortress
"Battle not with megabeasts, lest ye become a megabeast, and if you gaze into the chasm, the chasm gazes also into you."- Friedrich Nietzsche

Archmage Ansrit

• Bay Watcher
  • I crush -and blow up- stuff FOR JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: March 14, 2010, 08:38:44 pm »

So, basically, it is just a matter of luck whether you live or suffer horrible death... sounds like dwarf fortress.

Sigged.

Also, got two goblin ambushes in a row, the first killed one of my woodcutters since he tried running away before I could activate him but the second woodcutter they attacked killed two of them and send the rest fleeing the second I activated him. The other ambush only moderately injured a woodcutter/herbalist's hand before a lone champion (through wrestler skill training) arrived:

First, it was only one, outrunning the rest, but he seemed to have a weapon equipped like I tell them to each emergency that happens. He killed one of them and entered a martial trance, the bowman tried to shoot him but he kept moving by the time the arrow reached him! Another goblin got killed and the rest of my army arrived, even an injured elite with a mangled lung (via arrows) that's been bedridden for roughly three seasons (his name is Mörul, even!). Most, if not all, of those ambushers got killed, and -besides the civilian- no-one got injured. Clearly the training is paying off.

The crippled Mörul got out of bed, grabbed a weapon, beheaded someone IIRC, then went sluggishly limping off to hang out with his friends. Must've disturbed his beauty sleep.
"The concept that a video game can be played in a manner that doesn't entail wasting time amuses me." -Squidhead, GameFAQs forums
Because dwarves are goddamned crazy.
So, basically, it is just a matter of luck whether you live or suffer horrible death... sounds like dwarf fortress.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: March 14, 2010, 08:44:15 pm »

preparing for operation flood the world with magma. I've got a map on the side of a mountain with a relatively steep slope and a magma pipe running up through all but the top two levels of it. I expect it to take a while, and in the end go horribly horribly wrong, but I haven't tried it yet and have wanted to for a long while. I'm gonna see just how many z-levels I can fill like this.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Pafferguy

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: March 14, 2010, 08:50:41 pm »

Update on my flooded fortress: since the cave river was far above the ground, it turns out that I have FLOODED THE ENTIRE WORLD.  Also, one of my (few surviving) dwarves "has complained of the nasty water lately" and "was comforted by a lovely waterfall lately".  You fool!  That "lovely waterfall" is the terrible escaped cave river that just killed all of your friends!  But now that it's coming down the mountainside to flood the ENTIRE EARTH you like it...
"Battle not with megabeasts, lest ye become a megabeast, and if you gaze into the chasm, the chasm gazes also into you."- Friedrich Nietzsche

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: March 14, 2010, 10:36:43 pm »

update on my magma flooding; I just had a freaking miracle happen. I made the unwise decision of digging into the magma pipe instead of using pumps or something, and both of my legendary miners caught fire. one died before leaving the mine shaft. The other, however, made it all the way back to his bed in the heart of the fortress WITHOUT CATCHING ANYONE OR ANYTHING ELSE ON FIRE!!!

even more miraculously, after his death (I'd initially thought he died in the mine shaft too) when I found his corpse, no one had yet taken any of his flaming clothes. He had three flaming clothes items, and all of his other clothes had been taken before I found him. I managed to forbid them all and lock him in his room to burn until nothing but ash is left. So far i haven't found anything else on fire, but we shall see.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: March 14, 2010, 10:39:10 pm »

I was starting to lose interest in Dwarf Fortress.  :o  But then I got stoned and watched "Return to Oz", and the Nome King made me want to start hoarding wealth again.
So, I started a new fortress, which includes my first ever magma pipe.  I have high hopes for this one.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #1716 on: March 14, 2010, 11:00:27 pm »

Hit a bug where a dwarven caravan was ambushed at the edge of the map, and instead of leaving just froze in place; at one point, a thief turned up and they started to flee, but as soon as he was gone, they marched right back to their previous positions. Out of morbid curiosity, I channeled a pit under some of them, and they fell in. And started loitering at the bottom of the hole. A donkey eventually went crazy, but the surviving speardwarf seems perfectly content. I finally deconstructed my trade depot, and that got the rest of them to leave, but he's still down there in the pit, waiting..
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: March 15, 2010, 01:24:55 am »

Finished Reactor One which produces 2355 Urist McPowerUnits of power net.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: March 15, 2010, 01:33:22 am »

Still on my first fortress. Finished my mega-construction pressure washer. I feel awesome. Recently upgraded to Dukey. Bracing for the king, but I won't be giving any free money to the dwarves so he won't show up until I'm fully ready. I have prepared the King's new throne room with "supports", all rigged up to a big red switch (note: it IS actually red), and waiting for him to show up. Because his throne is on the lowest level, and that switch also is my "flood fortress" switch, needless to say I'm getting ready for some Fun. My next mega-construction will be a small armor horde for my soon-to-be adventure mode character, as well as a perpetual motion machine.

Wondering why the heck the goblins aren't attacking.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: March 15, 2010, 04:48:12 am »

Finally, finally(!) managed to break through the aquifer a third time, in a drained river bed, to install my trade depot.  I had to dig and recast it due to forgetting I needed 8x5 space inside the obsidian - 1x5 row for the ramps up and out (it'll be below the level of the river at that point), 5x5 for the depot, 1 row for the stairs down to the fort, and a further row for the 2x5 raising bridge which will hold back the water when raised, and then cover the stairs down when lowered, flooding the depot but not the fort..  Hopefully it will be finished in time for spring (it's now late autumn), those damn elves have started bringing cloth and their cages are filled with vermin not giant jaguars..

Actually I did have something strange happen, I burned a bunch of cages that had vermin in them, and they all died except for the fluffy wambler, which is now loose and on fire.  It seems to be immune to death, I hope there won't be Fun if I try to catch it again.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: March 15, 2010, 10:02:24 am »

Anyways, still waiting on more migrants. I only had 7 migrants last fall (now its spring) which brings the total to 60. I am making progress on the cleanup though even on speed 0, just about went below the 60,000 mark.

As for the migrants, I had put up a pair of bridges between my wall and the edge of the map on the western side because I wanted to stop the merchants with the pack animals from taking a long route around that way. Guess where the migrants popped up? On the side which I had just recently isolated. I had to go and deconstruct the two bridges. For whatever reason, the first migrant wouldn't move, tried a bunch of stuff and he still wouldn't move. A bit later he moved a couple tiles, allowing the rest of the migrants to get through. He eventually started acting like normal and moved inside.

I'm hoping for more migrants this spring.....

Archmage Ansrit

• Bay Watcher
  • I crush -and blow up- stuff FOR JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: March 15, 2010, 10:39:39 am »

Actually I did have something strange happen, I burned a bunch of cages that had vermin in them, and they all died except for the fluffy wambler, which is now loose and on fire.  It seems to be immune to death, I hope there won't be Fun if I try to catch it again.

FEEEEEP! Feep feep, feep!

Sorry, once I saw fluffy wambler, I couldn't resist...

You should always be prepared for Fun and assume the worst, hope you've got lots of metal cages.
"The concept that a video game can be played in a manner that doesn't entail wasting time amuses me." -Squidhead, GameFAQs forums
Because dwarves are goddamned crazy.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: March 15, 2010, 10:58:08 am »

GAH! Fucking migrants got themselves stuck, AGAIN!! This time on a wall which has no way down.....

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: March 15, 2010, 11:04:17 am »

I seem to have a magma-proof puppy... as previously stated, I'm flooding the world with magma (slowly) and a puppy got trapped outside. He is now standing in 1/7 magma and has been for quite some time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't he be dead?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: March 15, 2010, 11:52:11 am »

I seem to have a magma-proof puppy... as previously stated, I'm flooding the world with magma (slowly) and a puppy got trapped outside. He is now standing in 1/7 magma and has been for quite some time. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't he be dead?

Maybe turn temperature back on? ;)
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 3836