Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5846194 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2430 on: April 25, 2010, 03:06:55 am »

I just got a massive migrant wave, mostly useless, when the High Master Tanner got a mood and became a Legendary Tanner.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Mr. GOH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: April 25, 2010, 08:52:46 am »

My current fortress has been the most interesting of my DF2010 fortresses so far. I picked an embark with tons of basalt, obsidian, sand and other non gem-bearing rock as I had grown dependent on plentiful gems to trade in my earlier forts. I do encounter tons of copper, silver and gold, however. I built a smallish fort at the base of a cliff with a brook running nearby so I have a ready supply of water for making farms and traps.

I dropped a shaft straight down to a large magma vent about 30 z-levels below the the surface; I got lucky, hitting a nearby section of the second cave layer that I could isolate by removing all the up-ramps. It makes a nice little farm area for my lower fortress. I set up magma forges, furnaces and relevant stockpiles to get my metalsmithing industry going. My map has no flux, no lignite and no bituminous coal; I've had to equip my army mostly with iron, barring a few steel items I've traded for.

So along comes year three - I'm sitting around 75 pop with 20 in the army when a goblin ambush with 2 squads of gobbos appears. I'm able to beat them back with the help of the dwarven caravan camping in my trade depot at the entrance to my fort, but just barely. I lose three workers and two warriors, and six of the surviving warriors have to hang out in the hospital. Two soldiers managed to have their right arms removed - their weapons hadn't been finished, so the attacked the gobbos as wrestlers. They're badasses and I've suffered heavy losses, so even missing a limb I keep them in my army.

I figure that I need some alternate plan should a real gobbo horde show up, so I begin to build a trap. I plan out a multi-level dead-fall triggered by pressure plate or lever. I outline a 15x10 rectangle in front of my entrance with channels. I dig out everything underneath, leaving a single obsidian support. I then channel down again on the same outline, removing all the up-ramps. I build a support and dig out the the rest of the rectangle. I do this a third time, so that three z-levels of floor are each supported by a single support beam. I build a bridge on the surface over the gap so my dwarves can go hunting and felling trees. I then build a series of pressure plates, linking them to the bottom-most support. The idea is that if the gobbos come across they'll step on the plate and trigger the trap, dropping them three z-levels into a pit. In case that doesn't kill them, I routed part of my brook-fed irrigation to empty into the pit at the pull of a lever. I also built a failsafe lever to remove the bottom support in case the gobbos didn't trigger the trap.

Not much to my surprise, a full-on siege arrives a month after I've finished my trap. I pull everyone inside and station my army just inside the fort. It's now about 30 strong but nowhere near fully equipped due to a weird bug that caused equipment mismatches no matter how many times I delete, wait and reform squads - half of these guys don't want to ditch their random cloth and cheap leather gear despite setting them to all-metal equipment on the military screen. I'm at ease - the gobbos and their giant Olm pet are all gonna take a tumble into the pit, so it doesn't matter if half my soldiers are wearing peasant clothing.

The gobbo horde - a largish squad of about twenty plus a giant Olm - seem reluctant to cross the bridge onto the platform in front of my front entrance. Instead, they head over to the brook and enter one of my irrigation tunnels  (that I'd forgotten to seal) that leads to a cistern feeding the hospital's well. I figured they wanted to go for a swim, so I pulled the lever opening the appropriate floodgate when the were all nice and cozy in the irrigation tunnel. about five of the gobbos drowned, and the giant Olm was flushed into my cistern, where it still lives, not bothering anybody at all.

The 15 survivors emerged wet and unhappy. They decided to take the direct route in and charged over my deadfall platform. The stepped on the pressure plate traps. I waited a beat, but nothing happened. as the first gobbo crossed the bridge into my fortress, I pulled the bridge lever and retracted the connecting bridges, dropping one gobbo into the open space under the bridge and trapping the rest on the platform. I manually hit the support failsafe and watched the bottom-most support beam disappear. I thought the gobbos were dead meat. But, wonder of wonders, the platform failed to collapse and three z-levels of floors connect by two support beams are hovering in space. Cave-ins are definitely turned on in my .init (and I had experienced a minor one earlier while building my irrigation system). My bridges for some reason then reconnected as well, either because of some sort of failure or because the gobbos had stepped on a linked pressure plate they had not yet triggered. I thought my fortress was at its end.

But I was wrong. The gobbos stumbled through a thin layer of weapons traps, which maimed a few but mostly bounced off of their armor. My army sat at the far end of the entry hallway, a three square wide tunnel leading into the central staircase down into my fort. Out charged two of my axedwarves , promptly slaying two gobbos apiece. The gobbo horde had had enough and turned around to flee, with my army on their heels.

The two charging axe dwarves harried the retreating gobbos, slaying 5 more before the rest of my soldiers caught up. I then noticed that the axedwarves had only one rm apiece; they were the serious casualties of the previous goblin invasion!. They must be pretty hard in order to lose an arm in one fight and then charge into the next. They both had leveled up to novice axedwarves by the end of the siege, even though they were killing gobbos left and right. I subsequently used them to clear out a cave swallow man tribe in the caverns, mostly because they got to the cave swallow man encampment first. In the end, I only suffered one casualty: a woodcutter who for some reason did not head inside with everyone else when I set the general siege alarm.

The gobbo who fell into the pit when the bridges retracted somehow landed on the second z-level platform (the platform directly under the topmost, ground-level platform). He startles anyone coming over the bridges into the fort, but he can't get at anyone and no one can get to him, so I just let him run around down there as a curiosity. I figure he'll starve eventually.

My next plan is a general exodus from the higher levels down to my lower fort, keeping a secured stair up to the surface depot for trading. I'll then flood my original fortress, since it's now riddled with weirdness like the floating platforms and mismanaged irrigation. Better to start fresh down near the magma pipe. I'll also be able to keep my army together better if and when fliying Fun wanders in from the edge of the Cavern maps.
Isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.

-The Tick

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #2432 on: April 25, 2010, 09:20:51 am »

I've gotten a siege.

I captured some of my foes and caged them away for later punishment.

The rest of the invaders are at a standstill somewhere in my mountainous local area.

And I CAN'T FIND THE FUCKERS.

Arkbrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: April 25, 2010, 09:27:31 am »

Long time lurker, first time poster.

My fortress is getting a well in the meeting hall. To do this I must have water from the brook five z-levels above. The idea is to make a tunnel from the brook, down into the mountain, under the meeting hall, and into a cavern. I'm not sure if this will turn the well into a fountain due to water pressure. Would be fun, though. Neither am I sure what will happen when the cavern fills up. Eh, never mind. It's a big cavern.

LegitMacgyver

• Bay Watcher
  • Macgyver cancels make bomb, can't find paper clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: April 25, 2010, 09:28:08 am »

I've gotten a siege.

I captured some of my foes and caged them away for later punishment.

The rest of the invaders are at a standstill somewhere in my mountainous local area.

And I CAN'T FIND THE FUCKERS.

I have noticed invaders standing around a great deal...

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: April 25, 2010, 01:27:28 pm »

Just Got my First Ambush, Two squads of goblins. I figured out the Military system enough to be able to actually make it do things, but can't figure out yet how to make them equip anything. wait, I need an arsenal dwarf don't I. hmm, My temporary one got killed, along with about a 1/4 of my fortress. This is about the I realized that stonefall traps were now about as effective as signs saying "Please don't violate my dwarves with your pike" and that low quality Serrated Iron blades are marginally better. I'm planning on deconstructing the High quality ones and simply putting the excavation to hell on permanent hold until the main forts defenses are complete.

The Defense grid worked exactly as intended however my militia was woefully unprepared, and I only just realized I can't find the "All dwarves stay inside" button, Toady must have removed it. I've not played with burrows yet, so I may have to, that'd be the logical place to put that functionality. The control room is placed close enough to the main areas to be easily accessible I've found. I'm currently working (still) on furnishing my rather large hospital, even though both of my doctors have been killed. I'm in the process of training some, but it will take time, and only one of them is any good at the moment, with another merely being a bandage boy.

I also seem incapable of getting dwarven caravans. I reclaimed, and when I arrived the Liason was still sort of strolling around in the beautiful Volcanic Forest. I'm guessing that's it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 01:30:04 pm by lanceleoghauni »
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: April 25, 2010, 02:34:39 pm »

Gah, game just crashed, in the middle of winter. I had yearly autosaves :(

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2437 on: April 25, 2010, 03:09:43 pm »

After a long break from v0.31.01. due to some problems with DF military and Test Drive Unlimited I have downloaded v0.31.03. few days ago. Still encountered uniform assigment problems in my first fort combined with forgotten beast set loose due to building error. Left that game after two soldiers were fighting the beast for days, poking it with training axes, dehydrated, starving and everyone around them  panicking.
To bad because I tried to do some sewage/watering projects, inspired by certain poop related topic on the forums. Maybe I'll return some day to this fort.

BUT my current fort is turning just GREAT.
I found a proper way to equip my soldiers AND make them train, about 2 or 3 of my artefacts were created by said soldiers (going into mood while doing individual training) and my last artefact was made by my already-legendary metalcrafter. He took some raw and cut gems, steel bars, logs, silk and leather then proceed to make a scepter worth about 109000 dwarfbucks.
I lost 1 soldier to goblins and another due to ambush-related wound that was left untreated but now my hospital is slowly getting what it should be. A new defence layout for the entrance is needed together with personal bedrooms, cripts and more organized hospital plus another squad for defence and another for underground exploring. But Great Hall is nice, Working quarters are up, Magma Forgery is functional for quite some time now, we have steel, brass and platinum bars and booze be plenty.

I just love this game.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: April 25, 2010, 06:40:20 pm »

Am now being spammed with this message:

"Dastot Odshithmorul, Potash Maker cancels Clean Self: Too insane."

I just love this game.
Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: April 25, 2010, 06:47:36 pm »

Woodcutter got possessed, grabbed some bones and a log, and made an IRON figurine of the dwarven liason being promoted.

I didn't know alchemy was already in the game.

Oh and first time poster also
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: April 25, 2010, 06:52:03 pm »

Woodcutter got possessed, grabbed some bones and a log, and made an IRON figurine of the dwarven liason being promoted.

That alchemy stuff is a bug and yea I saw that bug report too, theres a heck of alot of alchemy going on.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: April 25, 2010, 07:48:23 pm »

This happened to me twice today.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: April 25, 2010, 07:51:36 pm »

Nobody eats in the spacious, obsidian, masterfully engraved dining room (with a waterfall) until all the platinum furniture is complete and masterwork.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: April 25, 2010, 09:07:19 pm »

*Sigh* All starting seven are dead. along with some 50 others. I had 18 left. One died as everyone was too busy to bring water to the Jail, another bled out on the operating room floor, and and four more were driven mad by the screams of their friends and loved ones echoing in their heads. half of them went berserk, heedlessly throwing themselves onto the traps meant to defend the fortress from outsiders, not itself, the others spent their last days chasing phantoms of those they lost, before at last giving in to dehydration.

there were only twelve left. -Iron High Boots- Clattering on the smoothed stone causeway past the empty and silent monastery/Hospital. the workshops lay idle, the forges made nary a smoldering sound. it was just the twelve of them alone, in a fortress built with the sweat of their friends' brows, and painted in their blood. Emergency Procedures were immediately activated. all external entrances were sealed, save one, and all work went to providing a proper burial for those lost in the goblin attack. The emergency lockdown codes were entered. Traders could still enter the depot, but there was no way for them to get to the fortress. The remaining few would have to make due with security over comfort. food industry was abandoned, there was no longer a need for it, not immediately. this was once a bustling fortress, its food stores would sustain them, for a time at least. Hopefully by then reinforcements will have arrived.

When the new faces arrived they were horrified to find the rumours had been true, the fort that had sent beautifully crafted works was nearly eradicated. With the help of a few more strong arms the dwarves accepted grudgingly the help of the newcomers, knowing they'd never know what they'd been through. Hoping they never would.

and so the repairs and redesign of the defense system began.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: April 25, 2010, 09:26:41 pm »

So my dwarves survived a long kobold occupation of my town by cowering inside a small keep. They had plenty of food and water so survival wasn't an issue... but they had no work to do in there so the dwarves made lots of friends and got frisky. I wonder how long until a tantrum spiral ensues?

Of course it was the merchant guards that drove off the kobolds. Capitalism saves the day once again!  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 3836