Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5786914 times)

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2625 on: May 04, 2010, 08:32:19 am »

Similarily to the above post, I just got a 7 Goblin ambush (consisting of wrestlers) along with a human caravan. It was spotted by a kitten, RIP. Anyway, this is still early on in the fort, second year. My military is still composed of just those two Champion Wrestlers and training swordsdwarves.

Luckily, the ambush was quite far away from my fort when spotted, and the wagons and humans safely got in. I debated on whether to raise my drawbridge or not, and decided to leave it down to see if I could take the goblins. As the goblins charge into my two rows of stone-fall traps, I send in my four soldiers. Naturally, they tear them limb from limb, the only injury being one of my Champion Wrestlers, who got a minor spine injury and rested it off after the fight.

In other news, after the ambush I looted a ridiculous amount of Giant Cave Spider silk clothing from them, just in time to begin trading. I bought a large amount of cloth, two anvils, and various other objects. Now that the ambush is over things have gone back to normal. I assigned a Sheriff and got my miners to dig out extra noble rooms for the future, and a jail. Also working on breeding my dogs so I can get a few war dogs.

And those two Champions are still guarding my fort entrance, never allowing the vile forces of darkness in. Once I get my metal production kickstarted with next year's human caravan, I'm going to outfit them in full steel plate and let them have some fun when sieges start.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Lurking Grue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2626 on: May 04, 2010, 09:13:51 am »

Just had a brand new newbi migrant woodcutter with zero combat skills go into a mood, Go berzerk, Head down to the level of the fortress that is basically a long snaking passage with attached bedrooms with only one exit, And proceed to chop through 20+ unarmed unarmoured dwarfs with his rinky-dink copper axe...
...every hit was a 1 hit kill, severed heads and torsos are everywhere...

...all because he needed wood... the stockpile of wood 2 spaces away had about eleventy billion different types of wood in it dammit.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #2627 on: May 04, 2010, 09:17:07 am »

Currently planning an outside fort situated on a volcano. The catch is I will only be building over the magma pipe.

The nice thing is when I get bored, I plan to collapse the fort into the pipe and re-embark on the site.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #2628 on: May 04, 2010, 11:01:03 am »

Just had a brand new newbi migrant woodcutter with zero combat skills go into a mood, Go berzerk, Head down to the level of the fortress that is basically a long snaking passage with attached bedrooms with only one exit, And proceed to chop through 20+ unarmed unarmoured dwarfs with his rinky-dink copper axe...
...every hit was a 1 hit kill, severed heads and torsos are everywhere...

...all because he needed wood... the stockpile of wood 2 spaces away had about eleventy billion different types of wood in it dammit.

There just wasn't the kind he wanted.

"I REQUIRE LUMBER"

"We have plenty of lumber"

".... BUT I WANT THIS KIND!"

"What kind?"

"THE KIND WHERE YOU SHUT THE HELL UP!"

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2629 on: May 04, 2010, 03:00:33 pm »

Don't let a military dwarf pick up your axe. They won't cut wood, and you probably won't get it back. Just make sure the axe is not tasked for anything, and disable/reenable woodcutting on an idle dwarf.

tried that before the crash. It didn't work, but it doesn't matter now anyway, since that fort is now dead.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2630 on: May 04, 2010, 04:42:18 pm »

You could go into the raws and remove [THOUGHT] from the brain, dropping all the dwarves unconscious. They in turn drop whatever they're holding. Add it back, and voila!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2631 on: May 04, 2010, 04:44:49 pm »

You could go into the raws and remove [THOUGHT] from the brain, dropping all the dwarves unconscious. They in turn drop whatever they're holding. Add it back, and voila!
"Hey Urist how are yo-..."
*Thump**thump*
"Ahh my hea- oh hey Urist how are you doing?"
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2632 on: May 04, 2010, 04:50:11 pm »

I'm pretty sure the dwarf would just pick up the axe again, they do have have an ownership thing going on I think.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2633 on: May 04, 2010, 05:39:57 pm »

If they have it flagged as owned yea, they'll just pick it back up again, even if you forbid it.  But that knock everyone out by removing thought thing is genius, I donno why I never thought of it before.

I just had a secretive mood weaponsmith make a adamantine crossbow worth three quarters of a million ☼.  Not bad.  Shame the crossbowmen will just try to bludgeon folks with it instead of use it properly.  And it would be about as effective as going into the battlefield wielding blocks of Styrofoam.  I also had another 2-for 1 siege. Orcs doing the proper siege this time with goblins ambushing.

This time it went a little worse than last time, the orc leader was riding a giant bat.  The bat promptly jumped into the river and couldn't figure out how to get out, so I had to send my army to them. 2 things went wrong during this.

A) A Cougar decided to wander between our armies.  Most of my squad of swordsmen decided to chase that poor thing down and slaughter it instead of participating in the battle with the orcs.  Fortunately they eventually caught up to it an killed it and rejoined the fight when it was already basically over.

B) The goblin ambush showed up at the front gate while most of my military was far to the north making orc kibble.  All that was back there was a lancer and a crossbowman.  they both got rocked. 

Fortunately however I had been having problems with animals wandering into the courtyard and scaring the crap outta folks.  So I had installed a single line of 1x adamantine serrated disk traps to make the animals too dead to make it into the courtyard.  The goblins ran into them, and while the traps weren't quite strong enough to take out the larger, armored victims, in a single trip, it was enough to give them a few good wounds and make the gobbos turn and run.  I guess they thought there were a hundred more just like them behind the first row like most other fortresses they encounter.

This time I had 3 casualties and 2 wounded.  The two that discovered the goblins died, and a single swordsman that apperantly forgot to put on his helmet lost his head against the orcs.  The wounded are a single non lethal looking upper body cut, and a new royal guard candidate that broke a lower spine, leg, arm, and took a sword slash to the throat that was apperantly significantly less lethal than it sounded that will probably never walk again.

EDIT The guy with the fleshwound to the upper body died of dehydration.  The doctor instead of bringing him food and water instead kept trying to apply a bandage over and over.  Nothing I did would stop him.  Missing throat guy is still alive though.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 06:56:53 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2634 on: May 05, 2010, 04:56:50 am »

I have embarked on a 40+ Z level (from ground) volcano. It even has sheer cliffs on all sides around the cauldron. The thing is so deep that the bottom is showing as unexplored. It is literally too deep to see the bottom. 8)

News: elves bring slaves.
note: slaves are fragile and cannot feed themselves properly.

also: I have encountered the perma-invalid bug. boo.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2635 on: May 05, 2010, 05:42:57 am »

I have embarked on a 40+ Z level (from ground) volcano. It even has sheer cliffs on all sides around the cauldron. The thing is so deep that the bottom is showing as unexplored. It is literally too deep to see the bottom. 8)

News: elves bring slaves.
note: slaves are fragile and cannot feed themselves properly.

also: I have encountered the perma-invalid bug. boo.

perma-invalid? What devilry is this?

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: May 05, 2010, 06:15:10 am »

Just set up a machine to drain 8 embark tiles levels of ocean into a cavern I found, while my dwaves build Rapture II.  The game is running at 3 FPS while this happens so I'm here poasting while it chugs away. 

I figure once I get to the bottom, I'll drill holes into the aquifer underneath, set bridges on top and surround them with cage traps.  When the bridge is opened, the entire ocean drains away and all the sea creatures are sucked in.  (like the Little Lisa Slurry Factory, if anyone remembers that...)

I just hope the cavern cant fill up  :o
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2637 on: May 05, 2010, 06:26:00 am »

I'm building an army of bears commanded by one uber axelord dwarf.
Stupid bears wont breed fast enough though.  I wish you could make armour for war animals. 

A dwarf riding a armoured bear into battle! How awesome would that be? 

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2638 on: May 05, 2010, 06:30:51 am »

I'm building an army of bears commanded by one uber axelord dwarf.
Stupid bears wont breed fast enough though.  I wish you could make armour for war animals. 

A dwarf riding a armoured bear into battle! How awesome would that be?

Golden Compass, that's all :P
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2639 on: May 05, 2010, 06:58:20 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 3835