Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5853565 times)

Bhaalspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #4845 on: August 10, 2010, 10:09:23 pm »

Ugh. Considering abandoning my Fortress right now. Everything is a mess. Goblin corpses are everywhere. My megaprojects construction has come to a halt, and it's disorganized as well. I can't figure out a way to fix anything either. The Fortress has become horribly convoluted at this point. I'd hate to abandon after all the work I have put into it but I don't see what I can do to fix it at this point.

easy. magmatic happiness. problem solved.

seriously, though, you can always edit the init files and turn off invasions. that way you can finish the build in safety, then turn invasions back on and let the hilarity ensue...

Bhaalspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: August 10, 2010, 10:11:30 pm »

I know the feeling. Humans will get pissed for no reason at all, and elves won't get pissed no matter how many logs you try to sell them.

now if only I could find lead to make into toys for the elves...

Under siege by Humans. What the hell? All I ever did to them is letting them fight Goblins while I was locked in my fortress, and now they are pissy?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: August 10, 2010, 10:34:27 pm »

Ugh. Considering abandoning my Fortress right now. Everything is a mess. Goblin corpses are everywhere. My megaprojects construction has come to a halt, and it's disorganized as well. I can't figure out a way to fix anything either. The Fortress has become horribly convoluted at this point. I'd hate to abandon after all the work I have put into it but I don't see what I can do to fix it at this point.

easy. magmatic happiness. problem solved.

seriously, though, you can always edit the init files and turn off invasions. that way you can finish the build in safety, then turn invasions back on and let the hilarity ensue...

It's not the invasions that bugged me. It's just that I had made a number of small mistakes over the years that eventually accumulated into one massive problem. The Fortress simply isn't functioning the way I want it to, and nothing I can do at this point would change that short of a total purge of the Fortress population. And if I'm going to do that, I might as well restart.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: August 11, 2010, 02:28:20 am »

No Food, am JUST getting my well made. A Peasant (actually a military Dwarf) get pissy and starts tantruming. My militia commander one hits the bastard, and his head goes flying off The military seems... useful. how surprising. the screens, once you actually LOOK at them and putz around a bit aren't nearly as bad as everyone says.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

tabaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: August 11, 2010, 02:44:57 am »

New fortress (again) and i just caught my first Elephant Fuck yeah! sadly it male so my elephant breeding program will have to wait a while other than that i am desperately trying to find a cavern layer (haven't found one yet) and some magma

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4850 on: August 11, 2010, 03:21:24 am »

So I decided to start a fresh new fort and genned a new world to go along with it. The only tropical ocean was an evil one, but I decided to embark on it anyways. I don't think it will be that bad.

My fort is progressing as it usually does. This time I building everything out of orthoclase, and the yellow looks much nicer than the usual brown. I have seen a few zombie lesser kraken wandering outside, but so far all they did was freak out the woodcutter. A zombie demikraken was dispatched in a single blow by a war octopre so I'm not particularly threatened by their presence. What is bothering me are the fucking vultures. They keep flying into my food stockpile and stealing stuff. I need to get a wall built around it quickly. In the meantime I'll just have my macedwarf stand guard and hope she can swat the buggers out of the sky.

One thing I do like about evil biomes are the purple trees. I never knew evil biomes had these. They look nice alongside the orthoclase.

EDIT: Oh wow. The vultures stole almost all of the food. My Dwarves are living off of scraps. I really need to get some fish cleaned.

EDIT 2: Scratch that. They stole all of the food. That means nothing to eat. In addition to that, there's nothing to make booze with either. I'm about thise lose this fortress because of the damn birds.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 03:46:49 am by Internet Kraken »
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: August 11, 2010, 04:10:37 am »

So I decided to start a fresh new fort and genned a new world to go along with it. The only tropical ocean was an evil one, but I decided to embark on it anyways. I don't think it will be that bad.

My fort is progressing as it usually does. This time I building everything out of orthoclase, and the yellow looks much nicer than the usual brown. I have seen a few zombie lesser kraken wandering outside, but so far all they did was freak out the woodcutter. A zombie demikraken was dispatched in a single blow by a war octopre so I'm not particularly threatened by their presence. What is bothering me are the fucking vultures. They keep flying into my food stockpile and stealing stuff. I need to get a wall built around it quickly. In the meantime I'll just have my macedwarf stand guard and hope she can swat the buggers out of the sky.

One thing I do like about evil biomes are the purple trees. I never knew evil biomes had these. They look nice alongside the orthoclase.

EDIT: Oh wow. The vultures stole almost all of the food. My Dwarves are living off of scraps. I really need to get some fish cleaned.

EDIT 2: Scratch that. They stole all of the food. That means nothing to eat. In addition to that, there's nothing to make booze with either. I'm about thise lose this fortress because of the damn birds.

vultures/buzzards always get me too. I learned pretty fast to get everything below ground immediately.

I started a new fort, abandoning the metropolis idea (at least in that location in that older world), too much work, not enough patience. I created an orcs mod complete with a civ definition that only allows them to siege, no ambushes or snatchers for them, 100% real +orc meat biscuits[8]+ (assuming I'm ever capable of fighting them.)

Found a nice sight, flux in the north, igneous in the south, me right where i can get it all. It's all savage-neutral tropical moist broad-leaf forests with giant tigers/leopards and elephants. Right next to a river.  I might mod the raws to make the soil a sand type (dorfs are persistent enough, they should be able to purify sandy loams) Most of the problem fish suffocated downstream do to the way rivers exit the map, i expect the rest to die within a few years and leave the alligators to be tamed. It even has silk since I modded in some more silk-producing spiders.

I intend to construct a large tower to the top of the map and cap it off with a huge glass dome for the king. It'll be a labyrinth of narrow passages filled with wild animal cages all linked to a lever that operates the gates allowing my adventurer access. So far as plans go, it's doomed.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: August 11, 2010, 07:18:07 am »

Well, things were going well up until now. I managed to get a stable food and booze supply up despite the vulture attack. But then some Ogres started wandering near the camp. The military engaged them but unfortunately the novice fighter got there first and the Ogre kicked his ass. Though my macedwarf came to the rescue and began to beat the crap out of said Ogre. But then another Ogre charged straight at her, knocked her to the ground, and is now beating her face into the dirt. So now both of my military dwarfs are in being killed by Ogres with no one to rescue them. I'm beginning to see why terrifying biomes can be a challenge. Still, I'm not going to give up yet. If they enter my fort the caravan guards will take them out for me. I'll dig a trench surrounding the entrance once the caravans leaves to prevent this from happening again.

EDIT: And now Harpies are attacking. I'm shameless, so I'm just going to savescum.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 07:33:38 am by Internet Kraken »
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: August 11, 2010, 07:55:19 am »

Aaaaaarrgggghhh. I train a small group of AxeLords encased in steel from head to toe...

Surely this is enough to take the FB, I say to myself. He may be made of fire but fuck it!! They do completely carve him up but his damn fieryness is just ridiculous! He explodes in flames killing all my men!! He didnt hit them once! Just set them alight!!

Damn it...

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: August 11, 2010, 08:06:17 am »

Things went somewhat better this time. The Ogres decided to ignore the hauler outside and instead launch a direct assault on the fortress. Everyone ran screaming in terror aside from my militia captain. However she once again got the crap beaten out of her. The Ogre was mauling her a few feet away from the Fortress. I knew he would attack everyone else once she died. Meanwhile the caravan guards were apparently to busy admiring my incredible sandstone mechanisms to get of their asses and help us. So I conscripted almost everyone into a makeshift army and ordered them to attack the Ogre. The Dwarves charged out and beat against the behemoth, who initially found them to be a minor annoyance. However the force of 9 Dwarves kicking and scratching his kneecaps began to take his toll. He fell to the ground after about a full minute of the dwarves beating him to a pulp.

Unfortunately, I was not quick enough to save the militia commander. A lot of my Dwarves are pretty upset about her death. Surprisingly, her second in command is not. In fact, he's one the happiest Dwarves in the fort right now. Seconds after her death he grabbed her mace and became the new milita commander. I'm not sure what to think about his enthusiasm.

EDIT: Or not. I'm an idiot so I accidentally restarted my computer and subsequently shut down DF before I could save. So none of that happened.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 08:17:49 am by Internet Kraken »
[NOPAIN] no gain.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: August 11, 2010, 08:53:24 am »

That's harsh, Internet Kraken.

Tale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: August 11, 2010, 09:50:59 am »

My new fort has the fort proper all set up.  Like 50 beds and 20 workshops with their own storage.  My farm still is taking too long to muddy, so I built a topside farm.  And luckily the plants in front of the base grow plenty and fast so I can be constantly harvesting.

I just started my outside fortifications.  Had to repeatedly savescum because I kept channeling into my waterline.  Oops.  I'm okay with doing that once I get my farm done, but not before, that'll just slow it down.

Macalano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: August 11, 2010, 10:35:44 am »

I embarked on a cave; intentionally.
Turns out the dwarves embarked on TOP of the cave. I thought this was good.
I notice a cyclops on the units list thing.

1. I order masons to build floors over the ramps leading to the cave top.
2. I [b)[w][t] and get some mechanisms built (embarked with serpentine).
3. I deconstruct the caravan and [b)[w][c] to get some cages built.
4. I dig a small channel and fill the opening to the summit with the three cage traps.
5. Cyclops gets by, I order a recruit-dogpile (backed by war dogs). Cyclops dies.

I order dwarves to leave the cave top. Victory!

!!BONUS!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 10:38:39 am by Macalano »

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: August 11, 2010, 11:07:10 am »

Okay. I feel stupid right now. My Militia Commander just died again (she survived the inital Ogre attack). I received a message telling me she drowned. This confused me, since there's  no reason for anyone to be in the ocean. Then I realized that my barracks doesn't have any walls built around it. I checked the combat log, and my fears were confirmed. During a sparring session, she dodged a blow and fell straight into the ocean in the process. I'm not sure if she or the new militia commander (who is ecstatic despite her death) is responsible for this. 

EDIT: The new Militia Commander just died the same exact way. Clearly I need to remove the barracks to get these morons to stop killing each other.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 11:15:18 am by Internet Kraken »
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: August 11, 2010, 11:42:07 am »

My metalsmith killed everyone because a single masterwork steel axe got stolen. Argh.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 3836