Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5854639 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #5160 on: August 22, 2010, 03:23:02 pm »

My fort had a horrible 2 years. We've been under siege the entire time, never a caravan to be seen, and my horribly untrained militia horribly outnumbered and horribly under-equipped, so the bridges were left sealed except for one attempt to capture some of the orcish swordsmen. We captured about 12 of them, including their mace lord and his spiffy silver mace, now held by my militia commander. Nobody died trying to get them in the cages, but we did suffer several casualties (only injuries, no deaths) to the bowman squad that didn't stop until they'd reached the bridge. Said bowmen then moved to the top of the hill behind the fortress walls, but still across the moat, where they took pot shots at everything in that general area, including both the fortress' owned cats, who were the only ones killed for over a year.
The next summer, there was a gap in the sieges. I took it as a full-seasons break from the fighting and let everyone out to collect the elves' trash, some logs, and the clothes people has been spamming the announcements page for for over a year and a half. Needless to say, this was stupid. As soon as the first craftsman across the bridge turned south towards the elves, they discovered a Cobald ambush. Why Cobalds? WHY?! It was the orcs that slaughtered your liaisons, not us! Despite the dorf-sized fuzzball macemen and their elite crossbowman master in an obviously wonderful position to send 100% of the dwarves on the bridge running in completely the wrong direction, only the craftsman panicked, everyone else walked calmly back to the meeting hall as they were told, allowing me to shut the gate.
I immediately decided to rescue the idiot, so i drafted him to the extra squad and had them stationed by the north bridge, which i lowered and waited patiently for him to cross. It was at this time the orcs came back for another siege, catching him way out there by the east walls and pounding his face in with their maces. I closed the bridge and forgot about the ordeal, tending to the construction of the guard towers, when i remembered I hadn't cancelled the extra squads' orders, and that there were two more idiots sitting out in plain sight of the orcish bowmen that once again walked right up to the bridge and started shooting at them. One of them, a legendary tanner, died before I could give orders. Now with two people dead some farmer, owner of one of the recently dead cats, started tantrumming and I was afraid the rest would join him. Crisis averted by the legendary dining hall and *dog tallow biscuits*.
I've since built a small arena for the schmucks we caught last year and have been sicking my troops on them. No progress yet as far as skills, but they've killed all the orcs that didn't make an immediate beeline for the door and the cage trap in it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: August 22, 2010, 03:43:02 pm »

It's raining here again. It's always raining here. The only time it stops raining is when it starts snowing. The waters freeze around mid autumn and remain so nearly to mid spring. The merchants arrive in the late autumn and spring and stay for the early winter and summer. The humans are dead: no one comes in the Summer. The goblins are dead: nothing fights us in the winter.

The whole world beyond The Furnace of EXecutioners, is much the same: cold, wet, and full of Elves.

I tried cheering up the little dwarves that got "caught in a rain recently." I ordered carvings to be made in the grand halls. A few random items were drawn but mostly celebrated the founding of FOE by The Mountain of Crabs in 1220. There are many many engravings of Elves and Demons in the halls. They are not the most creative engravers.

I've scaled back the giant magma vomiting Foxface, but otherwise it's proceeding nicely. Speaking of our mascot, we now have 21 pups. A few have grown to adult hood and we have 40 total foxes now. Not a single dwarf has adopted one as a pet, despite their superior value. The cats continue to breed, and I struggle to keep a lid on the population. It seems every time I miss butchering one for even a second, some dwarf snaps it up as a pet.

I may resort to some terrible device to gather and eliminate the pet cats.

The fortress is centered around the open caldera of the volcano. Not only are the dwarves constantly exposed to the rain from it, but they'd be open to aerial attack from it. I fear the elves for now and kowtow to their demands. But soon... soon, I will have the military and FOX Head ready. Already the military and citizens have proofed their spirits (and I don't just mean their booze!) A magma man surfaced and threw a fireball at a planter. He dodged it. The military assembled quickly and before another fire could fly, an axeman took one swipe at him and sent his upper body sailing through the air.

The military is ready, the populace is restless. Trenches still need to be dug, but The FOX Head is nearly ready for testing. The Elves will watch as 12+ z-levels of solid Hematite-Iron glow an eerie red, releasing a tsunami of lava. Their demands will become pleas as their precious forests ignite around them. Their men will flee as the endless rain scalds them with torrents of steam. All Elven kind will soon gain a FOE in the form of a FOX.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #5162 on: August 22, 2010, 04:18:11 pm »

I'm planning to make gladiator arena, to test my military againgst the animals I've caught. Design is going to get inspiration from ancient rome. (I'm fan of the Gladiator movie)

I just got awesome idea about luring elf traders into the arena with TD just to kill them ther in front of cheering crowd.  8)
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: August 22, 2010, 04:25:53 pm »

Not a single dwarf has adopted one as a pet

They're marked as available in the animals screen right?
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: August 22, 2010, 04:31:05 pm »

I'm finally moving my workshops underground, about time, they've been above ground for 2 years. I also finished my magma forges, so I'll never have to bother with fuel again and I can just pump out metal at a alarming rate.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: August 22, 2010, 04:41:18 pm »

since there is not a lot of trees on the map I have now walled of about half the first cavern, although none of the walls go all the way to the ceiling yet, so flying creeps are free to come and go almost as they want. have cut down most trees in my parts of the caverns and expanded the wall twice because the tower caps are too slow at growing. Also there is a huge hole from the first cavern into what I assume is the second cavern. Havent so far bothered walling it up, though I guess its a matter of time before a dwarf decide to jump it.

For some reason I got 27 imigrants while I was already struggling with my food supply, but I managed and now have a healthy buffer of both above and below ground food and booze. But thanks to all the new hands, its not taking forever to make my above ground walls and towers, though having 7 z levels and verry inneficient layout, thanks to aqufiers, my masons have to run at least 130 squares to get the stones.

I have almost managed to dam one of the rivers. just missing the second waterwheel so I have enough power. originally forgot the ramp into the area I am pumping dry in the river and my carpenter got washed down there and last of my 7 was accidentaly washed into the river further down trying to make that ramp :( also lost a second miner to the same accident before making a restricted traver zone there so if they got washed into the river, it would be upstream and they would hopefully get washed into the dry strip before drowning. Planning on using the same method for drying out the second river, but the third one is too short, having 1 or 2 tiles before connecting with the other two.

Also got about 10 caged goblin thieves sitting in my stockpile, which is a change since my first fort died before goblins began pestering me and the second fort didnt have goblins at all. Right now my outdoor activites have come to a stop since my carpenter working outside discovered an ambush. Thanks to bridges the only casulty was the carpenter himself. Since I now have enough wood, I have started on bronze armour for my military. doubt the military will finish training before the goblins leave.

So far I Twinklecrypt got 10 buried dwafs, 5 lying in the rivers and 1 dwarf getting corpse camped by goblins.

Also had a second named Warthog camping one of my entrances for a while, though I think he only got 1 or 2 dwarfs. think he have left the map now though.
EDIT: seems I caugth the second one as well, so got two named warthogs, Rûlked and Rulråsh, sitting in my stockpile. Do anyone know how I can view the translated names? I managed to do it once, but can't find it anymore.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 04:55:11 pm by bremarv »
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: August 22, 2010, 04:42:38 pm »

Yep.  :-\

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: August 22, 2010, 05:30:19 pm »

Just caught a Female Giant eagle ! Finally my war eagle aviary dream will come true, if only i can get a Dungeon master. still on the first year so for now it's nothing to worry about

Also got 3 goats.should be able to survive on goatling for a bit of tme with them.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: August 22, 2010, 05:31:28 pm »

AFAIK only dwarves who like an animal will adopt it as a pet...  do you have anybody who likes "foxes for their [whatever]"?
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

MechaGodzilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: August 22, 2010, 05:34:29 pm »

While building my fortress-tower of glass, suddenly my mechanic gets a secretive mood. Fortunately he manages to get what he wanted, and runs off to build his project.
A while later he finishes, and the result made me laugh for a while.

Truly Urist McMechanic is a humble dwarf.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5170 on: August 22, 2010, 06:07:16 pm »

AFAIK only dwarves who like an animal will adopt it as a pet...  do you have anybody who likes "foxes for their [whatever]"?

Well, I found one that likes boxes...

I think you may be right, I checked all the folks who've stealth-adopted cats and they all like them (one of them owns two.) Except for one, my chief medical dwarf. However, I think that cat came in with his migration.

Segnaro

• Bay Watcher
  • Live ambitiously, Die hilariously
    • View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: August 22, 2010, 06:24:38 pm »

Ah, well... I think I accidentally built on an island without realizing, so I haven't gotten a single siege or thief or even snatcher in my entire run through.
I've got a rather bustling city of nearly 130 dwarves, but my military is essentially nonexistant except for some layabout peasants who I've drafted, and I've got no flux stones except for those imported from the mountainhomes.  All iron equipment.

This all means that I was woefully unprepared for anything hostile that might arrive.  So naturally, it arrived.

A dragon, specifically.  The Flames of Jade.  I created some burrows and ordered all of my dwarves inside, before raising the drawbridge, unfortunately before my grand master butcher and his cat could get inside.  The dragon chased the cat to the other side of the map, and burnt the surrounding countryside to crisps.  By that time I had raised the bridge again, hoping my butcher could get inside before the dragon came back.  Alas, he was set aflame as well.

I raised the bridge, and stationed my militia at the end of the entrance hallway, behind a row of traps, and hoped that the traps might hit it someplace painful so that it wouldn't destroy my fortress.  Dropping the bridge, it ran inside, and all of my dwarves charged forward, past the traps before it could step on even one.

My dwarves arrive at the fortification chokehold just before the dragon does.  In the first instant, it lets off dragonfire.  But my dwarf blocks it.  All of it.  Then it swipes and bites a total of 8 times at my squad leader.  But my squad leader blocks it.  All of it.  An axedwarf leaps over my squad leader, and cuts into the dragon's neck, embedding the axe, before violently twisting it.  In the next instant, a swordsdwarf leaps over, severing the dragon's nerves and tendons in its leg, instantly dropping the dragon to the floor, crippled, bleeding, and unconscious because of the intense pain.  Then, in what I imagine to be some kind of bizzare tag-team combo,  an axewoman, holding her newborn child, runs over, and in one swipe decapitates the dragon.

So this is all a roundabout way of saying my fort is busy butchering, bonecrafting, and making meals out of a centuries old dragon.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 06:27:10 pm by Segnaro »
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5172 on: August 22, 2010, 11:40:58 pm »

Going into my second winter now.

Entrance corridor is lined with mastercrafted, razor sharp glass disks on account of an early mood for my glass-maker. He's likewise set up my legendary dining hall with a nice set of clear glass tables, chairs and statues. Surprised however, at how tough it is to get the clear glass production set up to run steadily. Metals are much easier.

No iron yet, lots of other metals. Finally found casseterite around the edges of my first cavern, so my first squad is fully bronze outfitted at least, and thanks to another mood I now have an artifact elephant leather quiver worth about 50k, and I should be able to get my squad into mastercrafted leather as well if I can figure out how armor layering works.

No sign of goblins yet, oddly, even though I'm in a mountain range just two world-tiles away from a major gobbo fortress. Hope they get off their butts soon and head over here - I could use some goblin iron to get a steel industry up and running.

Only serious incident so far was when old Doc threw a fit after some raccoon snuck off with a couple of his mastercrafted wooden bolts. <sigh> The sheriff had to put him down before he beat one of my masons into pulp.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5173 on: August 23, 2010, 12:19:51 am »

I've been getting a lot of Forgotten Beasts lately. There are at least 3 of them alive on the map still, and 3 have visited the fortress in the last year. A giant quadruped made of ice entered from the top cavern layer and was killed almost instantly. Then less than a week later some weird poison crab crawled up from the bottom layer. It killed a fisher and hauler before the military could get down there. The time it takes to travel from the top to the bottom is far to long I'm going to carve out a new shaft to allow quicker transmit so my military can properly respond to threats found at the bottom of the fortress.

At least my military is getting experience by killing all the beasts and zombies.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: August 23, 2010, 12:43:15 am »

Warning: Big brick of detailed in-combat text ahoy.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...I think I was a bit excessive. Oh well, don't care.

Oh and if you're wondering, I'm playing Deon's Genesis mod.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 343 344 [345] 346 347 ... 3836