Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788724 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8115 on: November 20, 2010, 02:48:21 pm »

I guess I see your point. Still, I'm not going to switch over to a new tileset during the middle of this since I've designed pretty much everything around the simple ASCII format. If I ever do start a new LP, I guess I could try using a tileset even if I hate them. Though maybe the use of stonesense could bypass this. Of course, that doesn't seem like it will be updated for a while.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8116 on: November 20, 2010, 02:54:26 pm »

I dunno, I was introduced through ASCII and it took a little while, but I eventually caught on. Now tilesets confuse me horribly too, and the inherent replacement of letters in words with little levers and pillar images just looks blech.

So it's possible, but perhaps only if people have already decided they are interested enough to make the effort.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8117 on: November 20, 2010, 03:41:17 pm »

A stray lolkitty ran around the map luring skeletal elephants into cage traps and caravan guards.

Meanwhile, dwarves started to plant the modded in Thorium Mushrooms, to be centrifugated in the millstones and sold to other civs for great profit. :o
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8118 on: November 20, 2010, 04:35:38 pm »

I dunno, I was introduced through ASCII and it took a little while, but I eventually caught on. Now tilesets confuse me horribly too, and the inherent replacement of letters in words with little levers and pillar images just looks blech.

So it's possible, but perhaps only if people have already decided they are interested enough to make the effort.

I was a casual roguelike player for 18 years before picking up dwarf fortress.  I never even considered a graphic tileset for ADOM, Nethack, Angband, etc even though I noticed they were available.

Dwarf Fortress is a completely different story.  I can't play the game without one.  Somehow the ASCII in this game is 10x as chaotic looking as any other roguelike I've ever seen.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8119 on: November 20, 2010, 04:58:06 pm »

Started a new fort (part because I wanted to try the latest version, part because of a bad manip with the save of my prospering fort while wanting to check the world in Legends mode... whoops).
I got way too many corpses. Oh, and ghosts. I'm only putting the aggressive ones to rest so I don't have FunŽ overload, as the gobbos seem to have gotten insanely stronger and more numerous since my last fortress, and I'm dealing with kobolds at last. Only one reclaim for the time being... but many, many unhappy dwarfs, one unsatisfied fey mood (why the fuck do you ask for silk cloth right when the [CENSORED] rhesus macaques yoink everything?) and fist fights.
I can mostly survive ambushes by locking everyone in the fort, dehydrating everyone in the process and possibly killing a couple patients. To fix that, as there isn't much water here, I gotta reach a cavern.

Now, that's what I've been looking for. FUNŽ.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8120 on: November 20, 2010, 05:42:38 pm »

Early Spring of 503 at Ringquest, pop. 53  fps 35(23)

Ambush! Little bastards ambushed and killed my lumberjacks while they were hard at work, including one of my original seven. The Original Seven (now six) are unhappy about the loss of their friend, except Vicar, who wrote it off as experiencing the loss of an annoying acquaintance. She'd be happy about it, but the goblins killed her cat, which really upset her.

My military consists of a full squad of ten soldiers, two of which are crossbow dwarves. The squad is still green, hard at work training, and the metalshop is turning out steel axes and armor to equip them. Another couple seasons and they should be ready to deal with intruders.

Three of the goblins made it past the weapon traps and are caged, awaiting the finishing touches on the Pit-O-Doom. I'm planning on ten stories deep, unless I hit caverns before then.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 05:48:43 pm by AngleWyrm »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8121 on: November 20, 2010, 05:57:02 pm »

Another goblin ambush showed up, this time with human leaders.  The 2 squads imediately became visible when they entered the map, which seemed odd.

Then the human leaders for the goblins STARTED ATTACKING THEIR MINIONS.  And apperantly started a loyalty cascade among the goblins.

Oookayyy....  It seems nobody likes the goblins, not even their own leaders.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Anubis039

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8122 on: November 20, 2010, 05:59:25 pm »

I just tried to tap into a lake 3 z-levels down from the waters surface. my entire fortress from that point down flooded within 5 seconds.
TG: like if honor among thieves is something then lets call it camaraderie among ironic rapping roof ninjas

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8123 on: November 20, 2010, 06:28:27 pm »

To a few posts up : I started playing DF, looked at it, tryed to play it, didn't know what size it was on (E.g : Are those green blocks (wagon) my fortress? Are those smileys caravans?). I then went to the wiki and figured it out, then played it and learned it with ASCII.

On topic : In my succesion fort, I'm struggling to keep my dwarves alive. They will not drink water! I declare it!
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8124 on: November 20, 2010, 06:30:03 pm »

I just tried to tap into a lake 3 z-levels down from the waters surface. my entire fortress from that point down flooded within 5 seconds.

I've done that.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8125 on: November 20, 2010, 06:58:10 pm »

Part 5 of my LP is up

I can already tell that migrant waves are going to be the most annoying thing to deal with in this LP. Less than a month of ingame time, yet this update still took over 2 hours to make. Part of me wants to lower the popcap just to avoid having to write this often, but I know that will just screw me over in the long run. I suppose after a while, when it becomes normal for migrants to be arriving, it wouldn't be such a big deal to not go into detail about each one.

Also I am not pleased with the arrival of Elephants. I do not like Elephants. I dislike catching them, I dislike training them, and I dislike using them for anything in general. Assuming I get the H.F.S working, I'll just throw the Elephants into it. Giving the reputation they have that shouldn't be hard to work that into the narrative.

And it seems not all this effort was in vain after all.

And with this post, you finally got me to install the game. I've been curious about it for months, but the H.F.S. is what pushed me over the line. Well, that and the Merfolk harvester that was linked from the official forums...

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8126 on: November 20, 2010, 08:17:31 pm »

Alright. This proves that dwarves are bearded lemmings.

So I found my first ever waterfall. 4z tall. 3x3 embark, my computer can't handle much bigger. Naturally, my dwarves park their wagon ON THE FROZEN BASE OF THE WATERFALL.

I had the miner dig herself to safety. Six days in, the river thawed.

My miner is currently being haunted by a ghostly furnace operator and surviving by eating carrots (and the occasional bird) and drinking from the river. When the winter freeze comes, I'll be able to retrieve my supplies, but until then my dorf has to live like a human. Blech.
くコ:彡

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8127 on: November 20, 2010, 08:47:40 pm »

I just successfully built running water for 3 z levels of my fort ie. wells on different floors.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8128 on: November 20, 2010, 08:51:59 pm »

Alright. This proves that dwarves are bearded lemmings.

So I found my first ever waterfall. 4z tall. 3x3 embark, my computer can't handle much bigger. Naturally, my dwarves park their wagon ON THE FROZEN BASE OF THE WATERFALL.

I had the miner dig herself to safety. Six days in, the river thawed.

My miner is currently being haunted by a ghostly furnace operator and surviving by eating carrots (and the occasional bird) and drinking from the river. When the winter freeze comes, I'll be able to retrieve my supplies, but until then my dorf has to live like a human. Blech.

So any reason why you didn't save the other dwarves?
[NOPAIN] no gain.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8129 on: November 20, 2010, 09:07:21 pm »

They weren't fast enough.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 3835