Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 619 620 [621] 622 623 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5871419 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9300 on: December 30, 2010, 05:57:44 am »

Throatlaboured (pop 164, 40 soldiers, barony) has breached cavern 1. plenty of useless haulers have been given an axe and instructed to harvest the precious wood... (i have abundant iron ore but no reliable fuel source yet... my miitary is steel armed but armoured with a ragtag mix of copper, steel, iron and bronze... i want more steel). z-1 is being hollowed out into a layer wide tree farm. z-2 will also be hollowed in the soil sections. i really need more trees. So far only a giant olm has been found in a pond (fishing platform under construction), and he is keeping himself to himself for now.
This is a blank sig.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9301 on: December 30, 2010, 07:45:56 am »

My first tantrum spiral EVER!  Had 70 dwarves going strong, still a crappy military since I can't get used to this dang system, but I had a hunter walk out hunting, kill a bear by BEATING IT TO DEATH with his crossbow, got a tiny nick, then laid down in his bed.  Of course as soon as he does this... the entire area froze, the brook freezes, the lakes and ponds freeze, and 15 Z levels down I still have yet to find a cavern or underground river. This poor guy died of thirst since he never got out of bed to get some booze... which caused his wife (an annoying socialite apparently) to stop drinking, which caused all HER friends etc. etc. plus the whole area stayed frozen for well over 3 seasons giving my 70 dwarves enough time to die down to roughly 30ish.  Only people still standing and feeling fine... are my 20 military dwarves.  The others are all depressed so they'll most likely die off soon.

Figured I embarked in this area due to it being heavily wooded, warm temperature so I thought at MOST it might freeze for a single season, and it told me it had an aquifer... which I haven't run into yet.

Is it salvagable?  Provided I get some migrants to put to work since my military are now only good at military stuff... and love doing military stuff.  Still annoys the hell out of me since that damn hunter wasn't even that hurt from the damned bear.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 07:48:09 am by MythagoWoods »
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9302 on: December 30, 2010, 08:10:53 am »

yeah, as soon as migrants show up.

but put the slabs up. or coffins.

and re-embark (reclaim) works too  ;D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9303 on: December 30, 2010, 10:56:50 am »

I'm currently make all my non moodable skillers dabbling weaponsmiths :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:07:59 pm by SurfinShroom »
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9304 on: December 30, 2010, 12:47:02 pm »

Bouldercatches was ambushed. With no real military and a overloard (me) that was more curious than anything to see how it went... well a lot of dwarves and dogs were slaughtered.

When the goblins had their fill of the slaughter, they left. In the aftermath though, my favorite mechanic went berserk. "ooh, maybe I'll have some FUN yet :)" is what I was thinking.

But while that was going on, he slipped up. He charged a planter and fell into the pond that I drained. Now he's berserk in a hole. Fun fun.

Edit: holy crap! he escaped! The berserk mechanic dove into the water supply, swam through a corner and up a slop next to teh well, and is killing people again!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:57:35 pm by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9305 on: December 30, 2010, 01:07:00 pm »

I guess it's a What's going on in your camo, but...

I've got a wall up and a mine to give my kobolds weapons. We've got a bow and a sword, and are ready for migrants. We shall make an outpost for all of kobold kind!
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9306 on: December 30, 2010, 01:10:09 pm »

Bloodbath at the Trade Depot.
Ezrakim and Keepers attack a werewolf siege.
EDIT:My single centurion thwarts the siege.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 01:26:39 pm by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9307 on: December 30, 2010, 01:21:39 pm »

Two years ago in Gemspike, I dropped seven cats into the first cavern layer, so they would explore for me. I mostly ignore them after that, glad to be rid of them.

Presently, I had a look. They haven't move at all, but have been breeding furiously, so now there are about 50 cats and kittens camped underneath the hole where I dropped them. They won't explore, and there appears to be nothing down there to threaten them.

I think I need to pit one of my goblin captives into the hole to give them some incentive to explore. Or entertainment, if the cats succeed in murdering the prisoner.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9308 on: December 30, 2010, 01:54:20 pm »

I wanted to try the Fortress Defense mod, so I managed to install it and strike the earth ! Boulderboot the Fortress is born.

I turn a little hill made of stone into a square and mined downwards. So far, Garnierite, Kimberlite, Olivine, Microcline, Orthoclase (and the usual grey shades of stone) have been discovered. Colorful.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9309 on: December 30, 2010, 02:04:39 pm »

Part 38 of my LP is up.

Of course the one time I want part my fortress to flood, it doesn't actually flood. Bah. I suppose I have no choice but to use the ocean, as the flow of water from the ocean is far greater than that of the river. At least, I think it is. If that doesn't fill up the moat I don't know what I'll do.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #9310 on: December 30, 2010, 02:09:40 pm »

i have 36 dwarves in my fortress actually.

first ambush.

14 dorfs alive, 2 very unhappy e 1 miserable.

why everybody went out exactly 5 second before the ambush!?!?

ok, i can survive, and goblin disappeared. lowered bridges. after about 10 second half of the remaining population is dead. i have a fortress to explore in adventure mode...

forget to add: the massacre included the death of some elven merchant. this make me happy :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 02:13:11 pm by Iados »

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9311 on: December 30, 2010, 02:20:45 pm »

that last part made me laugh  :D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9312 on: December 30, 2010, 02:51:32 pm »

Encountered a Giant Cave Spider, which took out two of my woodcutters that were down there.  Then she went after one of my miners.  The result was a double-kill, which, given that this is Giant Cave Spiders we're talking, is a pretty decent score.  The cave spider killed my miner, but not before losing a pair of legs and bleeding to death as a result.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

The_Final_Stand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9313 on: December 30, 2010, 03:16:05 pm »

Two things: One, a dwarvern caravan decided that the quickest way to leave my fort was through the caverns. No, seriously. They just packed up and headed deep into my fort, passed through into the caverns, stopping only to murder some crundles. They then left the screen.

The other thing is that I failed to get a Barony again. Wasn't that supposedly fixed in V .17? Next year, I'm doing the "Lock the mayor in his room until the caravan leaves" trick.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9314 on: December 30, 2010, 03:28:14 pm »

oh gods the horror! I modded in some basic dragon-kin including several species of wyverns, and one of them, the woody wyvern, is native to the area my kobolds settled in. a pack of five just wandered into the entrance, got caught in the cage traps, and the rest started milling around. I was completely oblivious to this, and so my kobolds ran up the tunnel to collect them and reset the cage traps, whereupon the wyverns turned on them and slaughtered 3, including our truly skillful hunter, a part-time soldier/brewer, and a mason. One of the killers got caught in the cages as well, so I have to figure out some way to safely dispose of it. one killer got away along with the only male in the group. Woody wyverns are the smallest species, only about the size of a dwarf, they have no magical abilities and very little natural skill, and are not aggressive thieves and vandals, but if anything tougher than these comes by these cowards will be slaughtered outright.

I'm also having trouble getting the other dragon-kin to show up in any generated worlds. So far only the new megabeast, and the woody and yeric wyverns will be generated. No idea why, I've tried a lot of different things.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 619 620 [621] 622 623 ... 3836