Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788274 times)

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9330 on: December 31, 2010, 04:58:14 pm »

Stocking up on coal again now that I discovered my dwarves have made 94 pieces of steel. Maybe my militia can be a bit more successful this way...

Also, digging out areas to honor my military commander, Tulon Asoth, He's a legendary fighter and professional swordsdwarf, but he's 88 and I don't know much about dwarven lifespans.

I'm also considering ways to get my baroness to pick up a crutch, I've piled two on her bed but since she's asleep they're not very useful. I think maybe dropping a Z level might wake her for long enough to grab a crutch and start talking to the diplomats. I'd freaking hate to have to kill her, she's the greatest miner in the fortress and one of only 5 remaining of the founding 7.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9331 on: December 31, 2010, 05:32:56 pm »

Dwarven lifespans usualy go to 150 or so. Unless killed by unnatural causes, such as magma cannons and goblin sieges.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9332 on: December 31, 2010, 06:09:20 pm »

Dwarven lifespans usualy go to 150 or so. Unless killed by unnatural causes, such as magma cannons and goblin sieges.

Aaaannd sig'd.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9334 on: December 31, 2010, 07:10:44 pm »

Accidentally pierced HFS. Sealed it up, though. I get a steady 70-80 FPS, even with 19 dorfs and an army of clowns below.
Here's a stonesense of the breached point:
Spoiler: SEVERE SPOILERS (click to show/hide)
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9335 on: December 31, 2010, 07:13:15 pm »

So my rag-tag militia of 34 dwarves in one group, armed with leather and iron, was sent to face two small groups of elite sword-and-spear gobbos.

Result?

1 dwarf killed,
1 permament invalid,
15 goblins killed, including some badass goblin marksman who was leading the civ.

For comparison, previous siege;

10 dwarves killed,
10 goblins killed.

Major(al) improvement, oh great leader Kivish! :D He started as expedition leader and now, after almost 8 years, still is the mayor.

Melbilonshen lives on!

Oh, and remember Reg, wife of legendary weaponsmith Litast?

Four kids already :P
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9336 on: December 31, 2010, 07:55:16 pm »

The Siege has ended, with only ~8 Dorves dead and 10+ new captives for my Gobbo Prison!
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9337 on: January 01, 2011, 04:05:31 am »

NatureRags Post 1: Start | Previous Post | Next Post(2) | Latest Post(11)

Skip to Post 5
Skip to Post 10
Skip to Post 15

NatureRags, after a long period of dormancy, emerges again.  An unfortunate incident involving a possessed (3rd moody dwarf, 3rd possession...) metalcrafter that wanted shells we didn't possess (Punned!) results in a very insane and naked dwarf pestering the dining room, which has become cluttered with too many dwarves and too few beds.  A new meeting zone is declared outside, in case the babbling dwarf wishes to die in the sun for my convenience.  She has a husband and two children, but I'm not too worried about their mental health when she dies.

Of course, last time a child went insane he tore apart half a dozen war dogs and ground the fortress to a halt in the dining room.  So I'll play it by ear and gear up some masons and blocks in case I need to go Cask of Amontillado on some dwarves.

A goblin snatcher showed up, and after being spotted on the hills outside, stabbed one of the glass-smiths in her left hand quite severely.  The glass-smith fled, and apparently has significant sensory damage, but otherwise seems unconcerned by her mangled hand.  A second thief shows up, and is spotted by the fort's other glass-smith.  Another hasty hand stabbing, and now I have two glassmakers with useless hands.  I'm hoping they'll marry, so between the two I'll have one useful glassmaker.

And lastly, the fort has weathered it's first goblin ambush, 5 hammermen and a single lasher with a silver whip.  The ambush was discovered near the fort's gates, which is unfortunate for all considering a handful of workshops are there and it is typically bustling.  After a long pause to set up some alerts for soldiers and civilians, one called "GOBBO KILL ZONE" and the other "RUN AWAY", the fight is joined almost immediately.  The swordsdwarf (wielding a hammer, for some reason) Minkot Shovearrows, was on the scene and armed, immediately being assailed by a mountain of hammers.  She hits a trance as the goblins surround her, and immediately smashes her steel hammer through an unfortunate skull (Her only attack that ever hit above the belt), then shortly after smashing both of another hammerman's legs.  The goblin forces down to 4, an adventurous dog distracts the lasher, and pays dearly for it's efforts as it is quickly beaten to death.  The respite allows Minkot to slam another hammerman's legs into pulp, and at this point the goblins scatter while the militia commander Urist arrives on scene to steal kill credit from brave Minkot.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:30:49 pm by LealNightrunner »
Current Fort: NatureRags

LunatictheInvincible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9338 on: January 01, 2011, 08:41:47 am »

My most recent fort was a fort of firsts.
First mayor, captain of the guard, more than 40 dorfs for more than two seasons, siege, ambush, and opening the HFS prematurely.
Normally, my forts die of some internal issue, fps, boredom, or my own shortcomings before they can be attacked.
First, we have the ambushes and sieges. Summary: two seasons, two ambushes, two sieges; All enemies slaughtered, Goblins: maybe a cripple, Custom Orcs: 3 perma-cripples and 6 dead.
Goblin spearman have an exceptional ability to hit the right foot.
Then, as I was preparing my horribly bloated fortress for adventure mode Fun, and also getting ready to move on to a new fortress with my new ideas, by mining blue rocks for my adventurer, I discover that my blue rock section had a hole in it, straight into the HFS. Snow, ash, and flame clowns overran the fortress after a while as the five soldiers that actually responded to my orders were only able to kill about ten of them before suffocating and being smashed against the walls. As the clowns were running about slaughtering dorfs (including the mayor, who liked bogeymen "for their terrifying antics"), Criminal Minds was on in the background and had just quoted "God sends meat, the Devil sends cooks" at some point in time five minutes plus or minus the breaking of the final defenses. It occured to me that I had heard this quote before (Dynamix's Starsiege, Sax says it periodically), so I pulled up the sound file, listened to it a couple of times and corrected it to "Armok sends meat, the Devil sends cooks."
Later, adventurer goes in, discovers that adventurers can pick locks, and promptly slaughters around 25 clowns before DF crashed.

Lurking Grue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9339 on: January 01, 2011, 09:59:03 am »

Got an epic lvl Wardog that apparently prefers mixed martial arts to just plain old biting.
Its usual method of attack is to clamp on to an enemy with its back legs and then scratch them to death.  :o

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9340 on: January 01, 2011, 11:36:41 am »

Well, I just had the most amusing siege that I've seen in a while ...

Approximately 40 goblins show up, a mixture of pikemen, archers, and axe-goblins, all riding on Jabberers and with a backup of Trolls and Blizzard Men. However, the fun bit is that their leader appeared to be a Fox Brute with a poisonous gas... naturally, it bugged out so that he was hostile to them, but they simply could not kill this Brute. He also didn't fight back.. just led the entire army of goblins in circles around my fortress again and again, dodging all the arrows and taking a few minor hits that his silk clothing tended to absorb.

They ran around so many times that all of the grass has been torn up, just leaving this red ring of soil around my fort. Eventually, it went to hide in a pond, and then died when the biome froze over. >.>

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9341 on: January 01, 2011, 02:13:49 pm »

Part 40 of my LP is up

I learned a lesson from this; don't try to write an update on New Year's Eve. As for the game itself, this update mostly consist of me getting screwed over by vultures and carp while the moat STILL WON'T FUCKING FILL UP.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9342 on: January 01, 2011, 02:17:09 pm »

A Gorlak who I wanted to have chained on top of a tower is going on an interrupting spree. I may need to put it down.

A shame, it needs to die. It's getting too annoying to live.

Edit2; fuckit, I'm forcibly quitting. I always feel bad when I have a Gorlak killed. :(

Edit3; if wild animals can't pass through locked/pet-locked doors, then it seems to have worked this time. Will it's field of vision help me spot enemies?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 02:26:14 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9343 on: January 01, 2011, 06:43:24 pm »

A human caravan just came within view of MirroredDagger, the first to arrive here. From our position in the easter mountain, we saw that they spooked a lurking goblin ambush. The frantic cry to head for safety was unneeded, though, as the two human guards proceeded to decimated two of the filth and drive the rest off. They shall have our thanks and our finest crafts.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9344 on: January 01, 2011, 08:25:46 pm »

Adamantine found literally within 5 minutes of embark? oh yes.
Pages: 1 ... 621 622 [623] 624 625 ... 3835