Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5851674 times)

AkuroAdennyciia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9345 on: January 01, 2011, 10:35:15 pm »

Yay for moody dwarves... by yay I mean stone cube time. The hive has no use for mavericks.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9346 on: January 01, 2011, 11:26:12 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Update:

I got a big migrant wave, bringing my population back up to around 50.

I still don't have much of a healthcare system at the moment.  I have lots of dwarves who have been bedridden for years;  Some of them are in bedrooms instead of the hospital (because I forbid all the beds at some point for some reason), so I'm thinking of walling them in and letting them die.  I'm pretty sure none of them have any friends left alive anyway.

Still no farm.  I've got a few ideas of why, but I'll have to look into it.

FPS was stuck in the single-digits for a while, but luckily that migrant wave included a butcher, and I had about 30 animals that I could afford to slaughter.  Still low, but getting better.

And yeah, engraving is still going on.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

AkuroAdennyciia

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9347 on: January 01, 2011, 11:30:11 pm »

Don't really need someone specialized to butcher animals. The level of skill mainly relates to how fast you cut up dead things. Pets are instant even for a dabbler =P

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9348 on: January 01, 2011, 11:43:38 pm »

I have 3 cages each with at least 15 animals in them waiting for slaughter. I shall never go hungry.

Interestingly: My legendary metalsmith just created a statue of my war hero, Tulon Asoth (Caveknots) "The cooperative hood of pages". This guy has 60+ Kills under his belt, and is decked out in all blue armor.

The statue is an exceptional depiction of Tulon admiring a pair of earrings, which until I examined this statue I had no idea he liked. I'm taking the masterwork statue of some random dwarf killing a goblin out of his tomb and replacing it with this.

Also, for the first time ever, I have a coffin surplus. Huzzah!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 11:51:48 pm by Stoup »

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9349 on: January 02, 2011, 12:39:35 am »

Don't really need someone specialized to butcher animals. The level of skill mainly relates to how fast you cut up dead things. Pets are instant even for a dabbler =P

Yeah, I was gonna have some other chump do it anyway, but as I was about to start designating, the butcher showed up.

Also, on an unrelated note, I have a murderous Merchant ghost.  I forgot to mention it in my list of things that were going on.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9350 on: January 02, 2011, 12:40:39 am »

So, it seems forgotten beasts made of blue diamond aren't so scary after all.

"The captain of the guard bites the forgotten beast in the left lower arm, fracturing it!"
"The captain of the guard latches on firmly!"

This same captain also shattered the beast's torso by stabbing it with his blueshit shortsword, as well as cutting off its foot. I guess diamond isn't the hardest after all!

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9351 on: January 02, 2011, 12:51:56 am »

My first Urist was a cheesemaker. How fitting.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9352 on: January 02, 2011, 01:49:03 am »

The fun part of Hammerseal is that the majority of engravings, statues and crafts depict various named humans being struck down by wildlife during a number of expeditions to these here mountains..

We have lions, jaguars, elephants, vultures, eagles and even a one-humped camel all killing humans.  And the human caravans seem to enjoy that type of stuff and pay more for it.  Weirdos...

Aside from that, the goblins have quietened down, and after 40-odd ambushes in the first 4 years, have had little since.  Although my magma moat might have helped that...  Trouble is I channelled through a few ponds to make a straight moat, and now every time it rains, I get an obsidian bridge that I have to channel out again.  Think I'll build some walls...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9353 on: January 02, 2011, 01:54:36 am »

Naturerags Post 2: Start | Previous Post (1) | Next Post (3)

Naturerags weathers it's second and third goblin attacks, a siege followed by an ambush. 

The goblins siege with 15 pikemen and a maceman leader, coming from the south and being forced to walk around the river, buying us precious time.  The alarms are sounded, the civilians retreat into the panic rooms, and the military gears up and heads to the gate.  3 of the 4 dwarves arrive, including Minkot, heroine of our previous ambush where she fought and killed half of a six goblin ambush.  Accompanying Minkot are Urist the Militia Commander (he earns his name in both engagements), and Athel, an axedwarf.  As the goblins approach, Minkot charges forth into the fray, and pays dearly for her valor, being struck down in short order by a storm of stabbing pikes.  Urist was at her side, but splits off to chase a pikeman he had wounded with his sword in a merry chase over the countryside.  With only Athel and a handful of traps remaining in our defensive lines, she faces overwhelming odds to slay two goblins and wound two more, but loses her weapon hand in the battle and flees to the east.  Several goblins begin chasing her up the hills.  Fortunately, our final militiadwarf, whose name escapes me, appears and catches the maceman leader alone, battering him about the entrance corridor until death takes him in the form of a steel hammer to the face.  The leaderless goblins lose their will and flee.  Minkot is the only casualty of the battle, although Urist sustained minor wounds and Athel is crippled with the loss of her hand.

The second ambush of six mace goblins arrives shortly after.  With Athel and Urist having recovered, and migrants bringing two more soldiers, Tulon the speardwarf and Zaneg the Hammerdwarf, I expected an easy fight.  I vastly underestimated the capacity of dwarven ingenuity.  The alarms are again sounded, miserable civilians pack back into the panic room, and the military is activated.  Fikod, a wrestler, finds herself without weaponry when the alarms are heard, and forges out of the gate to pick up an axe... directly into the path of six goblin maces.  Alarmingly, despite being poorly armed, armored, and trained, she takes out two goblins with her fists, but stumbles west and collapses from wounds.  Fortunately, Urist and Athel have arrived shortly behind Fikod. Urist does what he does best: lightly wound a goblin then chase him all over the countryside while merry slaughter is visited to the fortress.  Athel causes some minor wounds, but due to her missing weapon and weapon hand, is unable to do much damage.  She loses her nose, and suffers major wounds to her limbs before collapsing unconscious. My two new recruits, fortunately, have just arrived, Tulon and Zaneg.  Spotting the handful of goblins, they charge out the gate, past the traps... and Zaneg stops to take a nap.  What the #*%&?  You're in the middle of a righteous charge against evil foes who just killed your friends and decide "gee maybe I'd better get a power nap before battle."?  Poorly trained Tulon is quickly surrounded and killed, and the goblins knock off Zaneg's head with their croquet mallets in passing.  Luckily the line of traps batter them enough to force them into retreat. 

To add insult to injury, after all the alarms are lifted and dwarves sally forth to reclaim their wounded, dead, and socks, four goblin thieves are spotted and go Ides of March on a clothier, turning him into a leaky Caeser before fleeing the fortress.

Athel succumbed to her wounds, dying in the hospital.  Her nose was interred in a coffin deep in a dug out hematite vein, in true dwarven fashion.  The other 99% of her corpse, however, rotted in the hospital until we dumped it outside.  For whatever reason, the dwarves then interred her left hand and some of her teeth in the coffin, but refuse to put the rest of the body in there. Fikod is still recovering in the hospital.  Her prognosis is grim, I am informed by the carpenter who swore he had medical skills.

Active drafting will have to commence, as our military is down to one dwarf, Urist.  Applicants/Draftees will now be pre-screened for signs of narcolepsy and denied admittance for fear of them falling asleep mid fight.  In addition, postings and barracks will be relocated in order to allow for more defensive engagements giving the advantage of malevolent architecture.  Or I could just tunnel the volcano into the entrance and flood it with magma whenever goblins show up.  Whatever.

EDIT: Literally right after posting this, a 45 goblin siege with 5 trolls shows up.  Naturerags is almost certainly doomed, as only a handful traps and Urist remain to defend the citizenry.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:48:10 pm by LealNightrunner »
Current Fort: NatureRags

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9354 on: January 02, 2011, 03:26:07 am »

Loaded up my old 40d fort. I remembered something about my old 40d fort.

Magma pipe. Fire imps. Forested biome. Wildlife. Migrants. Caravans.

2 of the starting seven (a farmer and my woodcutter/axedwarf) are killed, either by wolves or the massive fire that burned over half the map after a fire imp started taking poshots at some elk. The same imps then killed 2 of the first migrant wave, and a couple of caravan guards.

The kobolds are stealing their armor already.

This is going to be a Fun fortress, I can already tell.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9355 on: January 02, 2011, 03:39:33 am »

Watched a goblin pass out and drown at the foot of the steps that would have lead him right out of my moat. Still haven't patched that stairway up since last time,  but hilariously 3 goblins drowned while they scrambled over one another trying to reach the exit.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9356 on: January 02, 2011, 09:54:26 am »

Nice!

Winter is upon me now. Outpost liaison and Dwarf caravan have arrived, and a few minutes after they arrived an ambush of speargoblins + a bowgoblin arrived. The caravan and that ambush duked it out in the North while a second ambush of Goblins (lashers + a piker) appeared on the south-side of the map. The Caravan lost two of their guards it seems, but routed the ambush they were fighting, killing at least two, and the other ambush lashed a brewer of mine to death before leaving again, with their own losses. Well, losses, I think we killed one (with a copper scourge) and wounded some others. These were the second and third goblin ambushes this fortress had. Before they left a kobold appeared as well and ran off with bolts flying 'round it. A while ago my war grizzly succumbed to infection. Setting up quite a bunch of new traps on my surface, now.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9357 on: January 02, 2011, 09:55:16 am »

So I decided to attempt to build a surface fort, with heavy quarrying. My three miners are cheerfully quarrying out all the mudstone I can see (building ramps, of course). I managed to miss the one single tree on the level above.
Cave in crushed one of my miners - broke both legs, one shoulder and upper arm, and the other hand. Once she'd stopped bleeding, she continued mining at the same pace as the other two. I have no idea how she was walking, but... She lasted about three months but has finally died of infection. Shame.

I'd forgotten quite how much stone is needed for external constructions, too. This takes a while.

EDIT: So I decided to dig a shaft downwards and see if the cavern is worthy of being built in. Aaaaand... i found my first downward passage linking the caverns together! Definitely worthy. Time to migrate downwards after building an access road for caravans!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 10:14:56 am by MooUK »

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9358 on: January 02, 2011, 11:08:55 am »

First death by encasement in cooling magma. I am so proud!
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9359 on: January 02, 2011, 11:38:39 am »

Loading up a new fortress, I'll try to post some screens of it.
Welcome to Fort Bridgemountain!
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"
Pages: 1 ... 622 623 [624] 625 626 ... 3836