Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 627 628 [629] 630 631 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5860873 times)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9420 on: January 04, 2011, 12:05:33 pm »

Bugger. First mooder is a glassmaker who wants, well, glass. I've no sand on my map and the caravan's just left. ::) Buggrit.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9421 on: January 04, 2011, 12:11:47 pm »

NatureRags Post 3: Start | Previous Post (2) | Next Post(4)

Naturerags lives on.  Sorta.  It be complicated.

An unexpectedly massive goblin siege (~50 goblins, 8 trolls), came crashing in the gates, and my single healthy militiadwarf gets the tar beaten out of him.  The trolls brought a "bone doctor" with them, and I can only assume he earned his medical degree at Break Face University based on what followed.  So Dr. McDeath and his buddies bust into the dining room and diagnose the 80 some dwarves in there with a medical disease called "being a dwarf."  They then write eighty prescriptions for agony, although a berserk legendary miner took out a healthy portion of the invaders while he was waiting in the reception room.  Only eight dwarves survived, all bedridden in the hospital.  For some reason, the goblins then left.  Not the trolls though, they've retreated to the barracks, thankfully far seperated from the remainder of the fort, but unfortunately where all my weapons and armor are stored.  I leave the game running, but I've got eight invalids and it's just a matter of time before thirst and hunger claims them all.  They dwindle down to two, Fikod, who was wounded and still recovering from the previous ambush, and some planter who elects herself mayor while unconscious.  Apparently she got two votes.  Then the seasons change.  "Hooray," says I as it auto saves, "now I've got a snapshot of the fort moments before it crumbles."

Imagine my surprise when both the mayor and Fikod recover sufficiently from their wounds to move about.
Imagine my dismay when Fikod immediately goes berserk and starts a fist fight with the other convalescent.

Despite Fikod being an ex-military dwarf, the mayor wasn't taking that crap and beat her down in a dwarven royal rumble in the hospital, surrounded by desiccated corpses.  I'm calling her the Undertaker, because she's got her work cut out for her. 

So great.  I've got one wounded dwarf, six trolls idling about playing Sword of Damocles above in the barracks, and a mountain of corpses that are going to haunt the @#$* out of the place.  Enter migrants!  Nine in all, apparently they missed the memo that said "SORRY EVERYONE'S DEAD."  There's one snag.  To get to the dining room, they have to go in through the only entrance, which is directly adjacent to the troll slumber party in the barracks.  One glimpse of succulent dwarven flesh passing by is all it's gonna take for an encore presentation from Dr McDeath and his assistants.  I unpause the game and cover my eyes... minutes later they're all chilling in the dining room.  Apparently they spotted the trolls, exchanged a few pleasantries with dwarven carcasses littered at their feet, and then went to look for some rum or something.  I'm not really sure where to go from here but it's been a wild ride.

EDIT: Added link to previous ambush.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:09:37 pm by LealNightrunner »
Current Fort: NatureRags

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9422 on: January 04, 2011, 12:31:35 pm »

Haha, damn. That is pretty awesome. Nicely written too. :')

I've just built a wall around the mooder's glass furnace and locked the door in it. :(

Edit; argh fuck, I dug down to first cavern where a skeletal cave crocodile climbed onto my mining spot and has already killed a wrestler (no weapons yet)  and is busy murdering a miner. LUCKILY I don't mind starting a new game. I like it, even. :P
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:10:20 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9423 on: January 04, 2011, 01:41:55 pm »

I may have just found a way to duplicate adamantine.

One of my dwarfs got turned into a pincushion by nagas and needed sutures. Lots of them. Because somehow all my pig tail seeds disappeared I was unable to make thread so my suturers had to make do with adamantine thread. Naturally, every time I saw a suturer working on the guy with adamantine thread I forbade the thread forcing the suturer to stop and the thread to be returned to stockpile but for some reason the medical history said that the patient recieved adamantine sutures. A whole lot of time later when the dwarf finally succumbs to infection a bunch of haulers show up and carry away eleven adamantine strands. By going over the amount of thread produced and consumed into wafers and items I can say with certainty that his treatment only cost me a single adamantine thread.

So I guess free adamantine would be another reason to justify mistreatment of your dorfs.

edit;
This just got weird. The haulers had their orders set to "store item in bin" but now I have eleven invisible adamantine strands lying on my cloth stockpile.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:49:41 pm by Sandrew »

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9424 on: January 04, 2011, 01:53:27 pm »

Don't forget, items such as thread, cloth and soap are marked in parts per unit, so while it says he may have received eleven sutures, that may have come from a single strand. As for your invisible thread, I can't really help. Check your bins?
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9425 on: January 04, 2011, 05:47:10 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is a blank sig.

Proberoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9426 on: January 04, 2011, 05:48:23 pm »

I finally finished my first semi-mega project.

The Dwarven Star Destroyer, took about 12 ingame years to finish if I recall correctly. It's composed of mostly granite(7000+ blocks) and mica(2000+ blocks) and suspends itself about 4 z levels above ground.  :P

Complete with primary and 2ndary docking bays, crew barracks, troop barracks, prisoner cells, medlab, war room, and of course the bridge, among other doo-hickeys.

I couldn't get a finished screencap of it with Overseer due to it crashing on this fort now but here's a near-completion shot:

And a kind of "Making Of" gif animation I made using screenshots I took as the building progressed.(Going from bottom to top).  The foundation/bottom level was definitely the most annoying to make... hence the weird shape.

Lastly, the fort itself in case anyone wants to take a closer look... don't mind the overpopulation of animals.
http://www.mediafire.com/?idf49yktj9mch5f

So that's what was going on in my fort. =x

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9427 on: January 04, 2011, 08:12:28 pm »

I wouldn't call it a semi-megaproject, that's a pretty impressive accomplishment.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
  • Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #9428 on: January 04, 2011, 08:19:30 pm »

I'm impressed, that thing's amazing. What's inside of it, exactly?

Post the map on the Map Archive.
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9429 on: January 04, 2011, 08:44:24 pm »

That's definitely a mega project.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9430 on: January 04, 2011, 09:06:41 pm »

So I just started a new fort. 200-something world rejections before one got through. Right when I start looking for an embark spot, BAM, three volcanoes in the middle of a mostly flat plain. So I pick the bottom one.

Volcano at almost ground level (1 below, actually): Awesome.

Right next to it is a single 46z mountain, perfectly square at the bottom but perfectly round at the upper levels.

What the crap.
くコ:彡

Proberoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9431 on: January 04, 2011, 09:18:05 pm »

Well after seeing things like Flarechannel and the mega-magma-drinking dwarf statue, I felt this was pretty small time.   :-\  But I am pretty glad with how it turned out.  :D

Uploaded the map, hope you dwarves like it:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9990-pointedthundered-dwarvenstardestroyer

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9432 on: January 04, 2011, 11:08:48 pm »

NatureRags Post 4: Start | Previous Post(3) | Next Post(5)

Carnage.

Total Devastation.  Over 80 dwarves dead, and but one survivor, Vucar Rosenrodim, who clawed her way out of the hospital by punching out the only other surviving dwarf in a no holds barred brawl.  She was frightfully close to going insane herself, but after spending some time mopping up massive amounts of blood (there was a lot more than pictured), picking a few flowers, and enjoying a nice game of throw the wine barrels and smash up the dining room, she's worked her way back up to content.  Unfortunately she's also the mayor, due to a last minute election with two voters, herself and the now dead crazy dwarf she killed with her bare hands.  After turning a few tables into flinders, apparently she decided she wanted chains.  Two of them.

... News flash.  All the metal crafters are dead.  EVERYONE'S DEAD.  You want chains, you'll have to make them yourself.  Couldn't you have demanded coffins? We need hundreds.  Although this brings up the interesting question of whether she'd have to punish herself if the mandate went unfulfilled.  Thankfully (as previously mentioned), a handful of migrants showed up, and shuffled past the trolls.  Great, now on top of the absolute mountain of coffins I need to make, because we're already up to four ghosts, now I've got to worry about Vucar going nuts because no one made her some stupid chains and she decides to engage in fisticuffs again while we're cleaning up the devastation.  Did I mention the migrants and how useful they were? This fort is now 30% potash maker.  Grab some picks chumps, you've been press ganged.  We've got graves to dig.

On to brighter things.  We're on lockdown.  Not a reversible floodgate/door/drawbridge lockdown. Walls going up, no outside contact except to open a secondary tunnel to let in migrants lockdown.  I'm not risking a siege even bigger than the one that caused this mess, and we've got an internal water source and running farms to handle things until we're back on our feet.  Plus I'm concerned that eventually the 6 surviving trolls are gonna be bored from sitting in the barracks combing each other's hair and playing patty-cake and get a big big thirst for dwarven blood.  So Dr. McDeath and co. can enjoy all the steel armor left up there.  Luckily the magma forges are on what we'll tentatively call the safe side of the fort, at least until all the newcomers go bat-crazy and start tearing limbs off.

The coffinworks are in full swing, the entrance walled up, now I just need to stem the horde of poltergeists before they start causing problems.

Pray for NatureRags.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 02:01:15 am by LealNightrunner »
Current Fort: NatureRags

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9433 on: January 04, 2011, 11:37:17 pm »

After the failure of the last fort (of pure laziness), I decided to... well... find a new embark point?

I am actually keeping 97 people busy at almost all times. Having 3 fully-filled squads helps with this, as they are on generous rotations of guard duty and training, with free months between. I haven't been worrying about stone much  (it's littered everywhere). The main trade is still stonecrafting, and is likely to be for a long time. One hall 3-wide is being floored  entirely with palm, and acacia wood makes up all the beds. Fun fun

Of course I just realized that my military dwarvse, for all their training, are equiped with basically nothing. I just recently got them all wooden shields, and am working on steel weapons next. It'll be slow going, but they've warded off a few ambushes already. It's amazing how powerful a shield can be against a few goblins.

Several mini-projects are going on simultaneously, which is good for keeping busy. So far though only like two dwarves have died. The first was a mining accident right off the bat, the second was a baby impaled on training spikes, and the third was... a goblin maybe? I'm not entirely sure.

I'm hoping to work on a jail next for when the eventual undoable mandate happens. That means I need to start working on my pigtail fabric industry, which has just sort've been stockpiling.
---
Holy CRAP! a bronze collosus named Kas Konliirka Amak Ramkal arrived while I was typing this. Brought all the civilians inside, the same for the 3 squads of meager poorly equipped fighters. Wait... can't lock the door? Someone jammed... a whole wardrobe of silk clothing in the door to keep it open. Apparently there was bad airflow?

The collosus comes over, kills a few cattle, destroyed a couple of buildings, and is ganged up on by thirty dwarves. The Still Gloves and Hardy Trumpets brought the beast down, mostly hitting it with wooden shields (a couple had steel swords as well). Lost only one dwarf.

During that mayhem, my dwarven (and favorite) caravan arrives. No worries, right? except they run right into a goblin ambush. Apparently no ordinary ambush either, as the goblins were able to kill every last merchant (sparing the liaison). They also killed a few of the of the Hardy Trumpets (who went to their scheduled guard duty on the entrance). Apparently wooden shields aren't a match for the goblins, who can't be ganged up on 20 to 1.

Aaand. Crash. Damn it... Turning auto-save on RIGHT NOW.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #9434 on: January 05, 2011, 12:05:59 am »

GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD! THE ULTIMATE SOLDIERS!

three reasons you are awesome:

War Womblers!

Hydras as a starting creature!

Aqua Teen Hunger Force reference :D
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.
Pages: 1 ... 627 628 [629] 630 631 ... 3836