Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 628 629 [630] 631 632 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787224 times)

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9435 on: January 05, 2011, 12:13:22 am »

emmmm

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9436 on: January 05, 2011, 12:32:19 am »

All of my war dogs keep mysteriously contracting a FB syndrome... even though I've used DFhack to clean all the mess of the map several times. I have a hunch that they're going to visit some disable dwarf who's covered in blood, I have a fair number of those. They're now slated for a 2 z-level fall.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9437 on: January 05, 2011, 01:00:26 am »

A Platinum anvil. Yes. Really.

It's valued at 140,400.

Now, is it safe to use at a magma forge?

Also have an aluminum artifact bed, four artifact mechanisms, and a perfect red spinel. :D

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9438 on: January 05, 2011, 01:59:11 am »

NatureRags Post 5: Start | Previous Post(4) | Next Post(6)

More migrants! Apparently the devastation of 98.7% of the fort isn't enough to dissuade some hardy souls.  We're up to 19 dwarves now... assuming I can get them past Dr. McDeath, squatting at my entrance, and there aren't any ambushes lurking around.  We'll see about channeling an alternate entrance for them, but until I'm convinced we're not letting in a swarm of gobbos, they get to sunbathe and eat grass and rodents.  Like elves.

Burial procedures are going well, but I've nearly filled up the entire dug out hematite vein that served as the prior burial area.  Now to queue up a bunch of slabs for those that died near Dr. McDeath and memorialize them, then we should be free of ghosts.

I started dumping all the excess dwarven clothing into the magma.  Apparently it's dwarven tradition to bury them naked, since all their clothing explodes off of them at the time of death.  All the clothing is really cluttering up the place, and I know sometimes dwarves can't resist the siren song of an unclaimed sock beckoning to them.  So if it ain't being worn, into the fire it goes.  Pet corpses get tossed into the magma too.  You can all weep later, we're in panic mode.  In fact, if it's not directly related to making slabs and coffins, it gets dumped in the magma (Milkers, I'm looking at you).  Speaking of magma, forges have been rebuilt, and we're melting down whatever's within reach of the old goblinite.

After I was satisfied nothing else was lurking about and the trolls weren't out for dwarfkabobs, I mined a hole in the wall near the volcano caldera, ushered everyone in and bricked it back up post haste.  Now up to 19 dwarves and whatever animal tagalongs that aren't butcherable.  A few months later, a dwarven caravan shows up.  I debate letting them in, and decide against it.  We've got plenty down here an- A VILE FORCE OF DARKNESS HAS ARRIVED.

Goblins siege again, bringing 7 trolls to join Dr. McDeath and 5 squads full of macemen, pikemen, lashers, swordsmen, and crossbowman.  And one human.  Wearing a bracelet made of human hair (eww).  So naturally they arrive on scene, hit the loyalty cascade bug, immediately fill the poor human full of crossbow bolts, and amble around slaying each other while the human crawls off the map.  Since the cascade wasn't really large enough to drive them off, the traitors are disposed with, and the survivors mill around in a confused mass outside the old surface farm.  Unfortunately this woke up the trolls from their stupor in the barracks, and now they're smashing things, but as far as I know, trolls aren't magma safe, so they aren't getting in.  Tragically Dr. McDeath ambles off the map, so we'll get no revenge on him.  And someone shot the liaison as he scrabbled at the wall to get in.  Not a chance, beardy.

Not two months after the first siege shows up, a SECOND wave arrives.  What in the hell.  Goblins now outnumber dwarves on this map nearly 8 to 1.  A few months later, even more siegers.  This is going to require magma-genuity from the nearby volcano to effectively defeat.  I'm getting tired of them messing up my nice green grass.

The burial hall was also completed:
Yeah.  That's how many coffins it took.  Ninety-five total.  Not pictured are six additional slabs that had to be put up in a different area.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 12:55:35 am by LealNightrunner »
Current Fort: NatureRags

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #9439 on: January 05, 2011, 02:14:25 am »

Well I'm setting up my farm waterworks and workshop area, as well as a bridge door, and also laughing at the goblin that desided to take a shortcut through the filling waterworks just like a kobold earlier.

scratch that theres another kobold...

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 02:26:12 am by rarborman »
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9440 on: January 05, 2011, 03:29:22 am »

Urist McMason: M'lord, the magma forge has been completed in the caldera.

Urist McManager: Excellent! Now to make pewter crafts in trade! You, Dorf, send for the crafters!

Urist McRandom: Yes sir, I'll send for th.....OMG GLITTER AND HAIR PRODUCT AND PEREZ HILTON!

Urist McRandom is possessed by an aspect of the fey!

Urist McRandom has claimed a
MAGMA FORGE

It turns out that this random migrant from my first wave was a dabbling Weaponsmith. He made a giant pewter serrated disc. Worth very little, but build-able and more importantly BECAME LEGENDARY!

Nothing like a legendary weaponsmith before your first Autumn!

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9441 on: January 05, 2011, 04:21:05 am »

USE IT! Show us how well pewter (what kind, btw?) works against gobbos and wildlife.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9442 on: January 05, 2011, 08:28:58 am »

After the crash, I felt I had a special view to the future of my fort. We immediately doubled up on the training, preparing for the eventual bronze collosus. Well, apparently he was busy, because we got a giant 2-headed creature called an Ettin instead. He was named Irami Macicadedi Ithi Iwe (say that 10 times fast).

Sweet! I say, ready to send out my squad fully equipped with steel swords. They properly dispatch the Ettin.

Wait a second... they weren't useing steel swords. We don't have any steel sworsd. The manager has been on break this entire time. How did they kill it? with goblin weapons and tools. Copper whip, copper battle ax, iron ax, teeth, and a large iron dagger. Oh, and don't forget their wooden shields. My squad "The Still Gloves" is badass. The only injury? a bruised foot.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9443 on: January 05, 2011, 09:04:43 am »

Edem Fathlisat made a diorite amulet in his secretive mood using only that lump of diorite. It is weight 1, value 2400 and named Edem Fathlisat.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9444 on: January 05, 2011, 09:18:48 am »

Edem Fathlisat made a diorite amulet in his secretive mood using only that lump of diorite. It is weight 1, value 2400 and named Edem Fathlisat.
Just curious, what does Edem Fathlisat mean?
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9445 on: January 05, 2011, 09:28:28 am »

Not sure about 'Edem' but 'Fathlisat' means 'Sacknotch.'  8)
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9446 on: January 05, 2011, 11:12:55 am »

Part 43 of my LP is up.

I just realized something about Reveredtour. I'm currently butchering the local landscape to suit my own purposes by flooding a large area with water. Reveredtour produces massive amounts of low quality goods that are likely cheap knockoffs of popular products in the capital. I manage to produce so many goods because my working conditions are poor and puts production above the needs and liberties of the workers.

It's like a miniature China.

Anyways, in this update you'll see one of the more obscure benefits of keeping intelligent creatures as pets; snatchers. When you have tame intelligent animals, child snatchers see them as possible targets just like children. But a snatcher taking away a baby pet isn't nearly as bad as them making off with a child, so you could consider intelligent pets to be a safety precaution for worst case scenarios.

Also I'm starting to see why most players name dwarves after users in their LPs. Even when going by last name, keeping track of all these dwarves with vanilla names is difficult. I wonder if it would be considered bad or good to name future migrants after users to keep thims from becoming a bigger problem.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9447 on: January 05, 2011, 11:15:15 am »

Dumping a very large amount of gabbro for my stonecrafter.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9448 on: January 05, 2011, 03:49:03 pm »

An attempt to get rid of a strange mood dwarf who asked for too much. Unfortunately I never installed a floodgate, so this is how the room will stay (until, probably, it freezes and I figure out how to get rid of it.)

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9449 on: January 05, 2011, 03:53:24 pm »

I decided to kill the Elven merchants on my depot. Accidentally offered them three crafts of wood and they didn't want to trade at all anymore. Fuck them. Marksdorfs, BOLTS AWAY. :o

Hmm, what to do with their camel and muskox? Will they just leave as they would if the Elves were still alive?
Edit; Yes, they seem to be leaving. Dropped all the stuff, though. Spoils of war!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 04:13:21 pm by FrisianDude »
Pages: 1 ... 628 629 [630] 631 632 ... 3835