Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 629 630 [631] 632 633 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861532 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9450 on: January 05, 2011, 04:26:25 pm »

Just found out something, dwarves can have triplets!

Ala, a mechanic of mine, has proven so. I went to her profile to see if there were any fertility-related things, and... I have don't think so. Though looking through her personality, she seems the type:
She rarely feels discouraged. She is self-conscious. She has a good awareness of her own emotions. She is uncomfortable with change. She is not affected by the suffering of others. When she's bored, she constantly rolls her eyes. She always scratches her head when she's trying to remember something. She chews her nails when she's thinking. She laughs very loudly whenever she's suprised. She needs alcohol to through the working day and is starting to work slowly due to its scarcity.
Though, maybe it's the husband. Who would want to sleep with a dwarvish lady who "is not affected by teh suffering of others" and seems otherwise so anti-social? apparently Ulban.
He can handle stress. He is very active. He isn't given to flights of fancy. He appreciates art and natural beauty. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is trusting. He is candid and sincere in dealings with others. He is truly fulfilled by assisting those in need. He is confident. He finds rules confining. He needs alcohol to get through the working day

And now I'm thinking... opposites must really attract.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9451 on: January 05, 2011, 04:43:12 pm »

USE IT! Show us how well pewter (what kind, btw?) works against gobbos and wildlife.

Trifle pewter, and I installed it in my Baron's room. Keeps him happy!

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9452 on: January 05, 2011, 04:47:12 pm »

Trifle pewter [serrated disc], and I installed it in my Baron's room. Keeps him happy!

Is that how your baron trims his beard in the morning?
Current Fort: NatureRags

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9453 on: January 05, 2011, 05:07:04 pm »

Trifle pewter [serrated disc], and I installed it in my Baron's room. Keeps him happy!

Is that how your baron trims his beard in the morning?

No dwarf trims their beard,, beard length is a sign of virility.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9454 on: January 05, 2011, 05:50:26 pm »

Fort Reveredpapers is now up to 80 dwarves and has officially become a town with a mayor!  Unfortunately they elected my Militia Commander, who for all intents and purposes IS a BA for killing quite a few thieves and kobolds with his bare hands, which ticked off the Liason we had since my commander would rather train then talk to the putz.  Oh well.

As soon as I learned he was my mayor I dug out a 5x5 room for his use/office, smoothed and engraved it with my master engraver and almost EVERY single engraving is a masterwork engraving... of a useless glassmaker starving himself to death because he couldn't get... something.  Nothing makes a house like a home like engravings of dwarves KILLING THEMSELVES.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9455 on: January 05, 2011, 08:01:04 pm »

A dwarfily productive day, combinering has just had it's first real siege after the humans came. no less than 30 goblins and a squad of trolls appeared. At least 2 named goblins were killed during the siege, along with a couple dozen trolls and goblins. I don't know how many got away, but far too many. Two of my soldiers were killed, and apparently 3 peasants were wounded. Though I was attacked form all sides, and had no traps or choke points to my advantage, we did very well.

It never ceases to amaze me to look at the battle reports. The two that died were brutally cut down while alone, fighting valiantly but ultimate the effort was ultimately futile.  Let this be a lesson to you: don't charge into battle without a buddy to back you up.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9456 on: January 05, 2011, 09:42:18 pm »

First Siege on my new fort is only one group of a goblin lasher riding a giant bat and goblin macemen.  They are moving nowhere and I was getting bored.  I sent out my squad of 3 Swordmasters and 3 Hammerlords.  The first hammerlord there kicks the bat in the spine disabling it.  The rest of the goblins become flying body parts.
I play games of games inside games in my head.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #9457 on: January 05, 2011, 11:44:14 pm »

Started a new fort, and while stocking my wagon, my civilization offered a disturbingly wide variety of primate-meat to take along with me; at least eight or ten different species. The king must really hate monkeys..
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9458 on: January 06, 2011, 12:50:41 am »

NatureRags Post 6: Start | Previous Post(5) | Next Post(7)

Ghosts causing more nuisances, but manageable stuff, just moving about all my steel armor, you know, cause I certainly have no need for that.  They're still getting a memorial slab to the face though, for causing general dismay and fright.

Speaking of sad dwarfs, one of them decided to throw a tantrum in the dining room, and in an impressive and frightening display of might, flung a cage full of 40 some animals (Including an elephant!) across the room.  He's been scheduled for punishment but I don't think anyone is going to be taking that task anytime soon.  This place is already gonna go to hell in a handbasket if we get someone that can deliver beatings.

The goblins got tired of ruining my lawn and left with the advent of winter, which was quite fortunate cause migrants showed up.  A soldier, miner, and a weaponsmith show up with the group, so it might be worth risking letting them in.  And for whatever reason, the miner and soldier dropped their steel pick and battle axe on the edge of the map.  I get the feeling they'll regret that choice.  I risk letting them in anyway, and a potash maker doesn't make it.  My heart weeps for the loss of his valuable potash skills.  He spends the rest of his life running in a ring around the volcano caldera until hunger claims him.  Then shortly even more migrants show up.  It's starting to look like a normal fort again!  Except for the giant mausoleum.  And the fact that all the migrants in that wave were killed.

Vucar Risenrodim, the only survivor of the tragedy years past, is possessed, and takes a clothier's shop.  She grabs some cloth, then hangs up.  I panic, not wanting to lose her, and find out she needs wood.  Well, we haven't hit caverns yet, and there's 80 thousand goblins outside...  I'm starting to regret those beds in the barracks.  Searching around I find some numbskull had constructed the bowyer's shop out of wood and I hastily order it dismantled, which gives her the wood she needs.  Her construction finishes and... rope? What are we gonna use @%*&ing rope for?  I don't care if Rambo always had rope!  Shortly after she is deposed from the spot of mayor, probably because they held an election where more than two people voted, and she couldn't just kill her opponent.

The next possession (5th possession...) results in a metalcrafter screaming for logs, which is not so great.  Apparently we all love our wood around here.  The goblin siege left, I'd tear down the walls to get some wood, but the humans just arrived and immediately got driven off by a mountain of sneaking gobbos.  So I go hunting for the caverns, and drill right into them, designate a bunch of trees, wonder what happened to all my woodcutters, then sheepishly queue up some axes to be forged.  After he gets his wood he's happy and makes... a pig iron bucket.  With some elf on it taming alligators.  Surprisingly, nothing about the massive swathes of death.  Nope, alligators.

A giantess wanders by, and in a comical scene, chases the new Dwarven liaison around the volcanic caldera for a few revolutions, then finally catches up and chucks him into the magma.  I'm glad I turned the rim of a volcano into a meeting zone.  Some cave ogres start wrecking their way up the stairs from the caverns, and then my High Master bowyer goes nuts with the 6th possession of this entire fort, out of like 8 moods.  Go figure, he wants wood, and like a zillion other things, thread, cloth, cut glass, powdered unicorn kidney, hell if I have this crap.  He's probably gonna get walled in.  But anyway I'll give chopping down some wood a shot so I break down our wall for the first time in two years... oh right, the giantess.  Soldiers casually hack her to bits.  Unfortunately high hell has broken loose because all the dwarves are now swarming outside.  Triggered two ambushes so far, but at least the army's already out there to mop up.  And then Vucar Risenrodim, the McUndertaker, gives me this gem:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I imagine she had to remove the legs, complete with a corny catch phrase like "I'll cut ya down to size!", just so she could reach the head with that fatal kick.  And with that, we're back in control of the surface.  NatureRags is open for business again.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 10:53:17 pm by LealNightrunner »
Current Fort: NatureRags

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9459 on: January 06, 2011, 12:56:06 am »

When the latest goblin siege came to my volcano fortress, they brought their "mongoose monster" law-bringer. Due to the loyalty bug, the entire goblin army started to chase her around the map. Eventually, they ran up the slope to the edge of the volcano. The law-bringer fought at the edge, and then dodged/was pushed into the lava. Steam rose, but the demon is immune to magma and is now swimming around down there.

I was going to build a magma superweapon in the volcano pipe, but it seems for now that I'll have to use the military to clear this siege.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9460 on: January 06, 2011, 03:59:40 am »

Rockhandles started so well.

Strange embark - magma at surface at top right.  Square plateau at bottom right, mountains in the middle, and two square meadows at top and bottom left, with a mountain range between them.

Started at bottom left meadow, tunnelling into the northern wall.  Only one pool of water, so drained it for fields, bedrooms 5 levels up, workshops two levels down, and making plans for piping magma...

Carpenter goes out tree cutting, gets assaulted by a muskox, only two migrants arrive, both vying for most useless for a starting fort (one a leatherworker, other only skill = student).  Now carpenter is calling for water, which does not exist, and there aren't enough dwarves to do the real work...

What has happened to migrants in 31.18? I'm still getting my head around the new patterns...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9461 on: January 06, 2011, 06:48:55 am »

Right now in my fort about 50/54 dwarfs are partying in the dinning hall. (the other 4 being 2 masons and 2 farmers; whom I forbid to leave their work burrows). What's the party about? It's almost the end of year 2, and my fort has just finished stacking 12,000+ stones and rough gems into a single centrally located quantum stockpile. Yeah, I could have them actually get to work finishing the main entrance defenses or putting the finishing touches on the underground tree farm...but meh: If I had to haul 12,000 stones probably weigh several hundred pounds each...I'd want to party once it was done too.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9462 on: January 06, 2011, 07:35:34 am »

Aaaaand another kid born days after the death of her father. Welcome to the fort, little one.  :-\
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #9463 on: January 06, 2011, 07:40:17 am »

I had a little girl born to my jewler recently. I'm having some trouble with goblins- the traps aren't getting all of them. This winter, if there are no ambushes, I'm going to be fixing that.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9464 on: January 06, 2011, 09:46:13 am »

Part 44 of my LP is up.

So a forgotten beast decided to show up. And the goblins will be attacking soon. And I only have enough soldiers to deal with one of these threats. Either way, I expect lots of Fun!.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.
Pages: 1 ... 629 630 [631] 632 633 ... 3836