Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 661 662 [663] 664 665 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788542 times)

Nex Anima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9930 on: January 20, 2011, 04:48:24 pm »

I can't really read the diagram (does it drop magma from above?), but careful with the 1-7 pressure plates unless you're using pumps to move the fluid off the plates.

Yes, the water and magma drop from above. The idea is that once the mob triggers the trap the gates will close and begin dumping magma. Once the magma reaches pressure plate 5 (currently missing in print) the magma will only be of 1 depth and the plate will trigger the rinse cycle by releasing the water and reopen the drawbriges. Currently in theory/construction.

The11th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9931 on: January 20, 2011, 05:16:13 pm »

ha ha! So remember how I was bored?

I embarked somewhere Terrifying! Even better, I have a natural waterfall I was able to incorporate into my fortress! So I'm building along, smartly getting fortifications up as one of the first things because holycrap terrifying! But I didn't get them done in time, and suddenly WEREWOLF AAAAGGG!! But I guess it got bored or something after killing my two dogs and a jeweler, because it left.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9932 on: January 20, 2011, 05:29:36 pm »

Journal of Edna, expedition leader of Keycontrol.

7th Limestone, 273
Last winter, we found the journal of a fallen outpost known as keycontrol. Using the information within, and judging by the location of the journal itself, I ordered Rigoth to do some exploratory digging in the frozen river. Her expertise allowed us to find the first cavern, which is apparently where they first stored their stuff. I thank the diety Zas the Golden Steel for giving Rigoth the  willpower, intellect, and calm demeaner to find this outpost. We promptly moved all of the old bodies outside that we could find, and brought our own resources inside.

The ground which was reported to be moist and ready for crops was, when we found it, overly dry. I have thus ordered Rigoth to think of a method of irrigation. She came up with a bucket brigade in the early spring. The floor immediately above the cavern was carved to allow for this. We have irregated a good portion of the ground, enough to plant life-sustaining plump helmets and pig tails.

We are leaving the exploratory mining to a minimum, as we have already heard beasts from beyond the walls built in haste. All carving so far is within known stone areas.

When gathering water (from the water-filled entrance to this place), we have reports of people above ground. No word if they are migrants or elves, but at this point it doesn't matter. We are secure here, and we're not permanently showing our position to the outside world just yet.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9933 on: January 20, 2011, 05:44:22 pm »

Harpies are ruining everything.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9934 on: January 20, 2011, 06:46:27 pm »

So after playing around with modding for a bit, I regen'd and re-embarked on my new favorite site. (Completely flat, Volcano, stream, plenty of trees, access to all civs.). Apparently modding in an above ground, forest dwelling version of the GCS causes the dwarves to die out at some point in world gen. I now must rebuild dwarven civilization with just 17 dwarves. This should prove fun :D
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9935 on: January 20, 2011, 07:27:58 pm »

NatureRags Post 10: Start | Previous Post(9) | Next Post(11)

If you haven't been following before now, we're under siege.  90ish enemies, more than a dozen trolls.  We now return you to your regularly scheduled carnage.

Fortunately for me, the trolls from the siege decided to rush headlong into my weapon and cage traps before the gobbos could catch up. UNFortunately, one of them found a fish dissector, and she's getting bashed about.  Her death is certain, but she put up a spirited effort and broke a leg on the troll before going down.  Before her death (which we're still waiting on), the troll slapped her with his cap on the cheek.  "I challenge ye to a duel- oh you're unconscious.  Guess I'll just gore you to death then!"  Besides that troll, there's only one other that didn't fall prey to a cage trap, and he's stuck in and out of consciousness from weapon trap wounds.

But let me digress here.  How did all the trolls get to be caged, after all.  Well, partly it's because my mayor bit them.  At one point, even in the eyelid.  BIT THEM IN THE EYELID.  And when they broke free she would attack and they'd dodge right into an untriggered cage trap.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She's not even in the military, and I hope she loses the next election so I feel better about drafting her.

Oh, remember that fish dissector?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She's still breathing... I guess they hoped on a bit more destructive force from weaponized gibbon leather.

First contact (well third after the eye-biter and the hapless fish dissector) results in the handy slaying of some battered goblins, including a gobbo spearmaster who lost her arm two seconds into the fight.  3 down, 75 to go!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:31:21 pm by LealNightrunner »
Current Fort: NatureRags

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9936 on: January 20, 2011, 07:34:50 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N432R2enHE

Evidently my dwarves can tear these things apart with their bare hands.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9937 on: January 20, 2011, 07:46:27 pm »

Rotting flesh doesn't hold together very well.
くコ:彡

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9938 on: January 20, 2011, 08:07:15 pm »

I can't really read the diagram (does it drop magma from above?), but careful with the 1-7 pressure plates unless you're using pumps to move the fluid off the plates.

Yes, the water and magma drop from above. The idea is that once the mob triggers the trap the gates will close and begin dumping magma. Once the magma reaches pressure plate 5 (currently missing in print) the magma will only be of 1 depth and the plate will trigger the rinse cycle by releasing the water and reopen the drawbriges. Currently in theory/construction.
So, rinsing 1/7 magma with water just gives you an obsidian floor?
I'm still not sure I understand your diagram.  I think too much of it is taken up by the water-reactor, which doesn't really need to be shown.  Is it a magma-sprinkler?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9939 on: January 20, 2011, 08:50:59 pm »

The third year has dawned on the tiny outpost of Duskmountain. The population of 17 dwarves - all that remains of their race- remains busy almost constantly, building defenses and the normal day to day activities of a busy fort.  Early last year a goblin's foot print was found by one of the wood workers, causing much of the fort to come to a screeching halt as everyone rushed to build a defensive curtain wall around the entrance, and the first few traps set.
 The elves arrived bringing sunshine and breeding pairs of wolves and jaguars. The humans didnt make it this past summer, to far away I guess. I dearly hope they make it next summer. The danger room is nearly complete so soon I will hopefully have my first two champion warriors, clad in a mix of iron and steel (thankfully I had the  foresight to bring a few steel bars with me at embark). With luck I'll have my above ground farm built and secured before the first ambush arrives. Hopefully soon I'll be able to slow down enough to get some babies in the next year or two.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Nex Anima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9940 on: January 20, 2011, 09:29:26 pm »

So, rinsing 1/7 magma with water just gives you an obsidian floor?
I'm still not sure I understand your diagram.  I think too much of it is taken up by the water-reactor, which doesn't really need to be shown.  Is it a magma-sprinkler?

If I remember correctly rinsing 1/7 magma results in just steam (at least in 40d it did). Eventually the magma would just evaporate on its own at 1/7, the water just speeds it up. Excuse the poorly draw plans, as you can tell it was the result in a dwarven brain fart (illogical as well a booze driven).

To simplify how this works.

1.) The main corridor (Z/1) will contain pressure plates, the 3 center ones are the initial trigger.

2.) This will open the floor hatches above (Z/2). Magma will drop through these hatches and while flooding the corridor, it will also trigger the pressure plate which will close the draw bridges (to keep the enemy in, as well as the dwarves out during the cleansing).

3.) As the magma fills the corridor it will spill the excess into the drain pit (Z/0). Inside this pit will contain the last pressure plate, this will trigger the water system. The water will flood over the 1/7 magma reducing it to steam and clear the corridor, thus freeing up all the Z/1 pressure plates resetting the system.

The diagram for the reactor was me figuring out the power needed for a self contained system.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 09:31:07 pm by Nex Anima »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9941 on: January 20, 2011, 09:50:33 pm »

Started a new fort. Site has very good resources; coal, iron, flux(it's dolomite baby!), tetrahedrite, galena, all on the surface. Upon embark, I get a collapse message, along with several dead zombies on the unit page. I get suspicious, and checking the stocks page and building lists, I find evidence of Something of Extreme Fun Potential. This is going to be good.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9942 on: January 20, 2011, 09:55:33 pm »

it's dolomite baby!

40% concentration?
Current Fort: NatureRags

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9943 on: January 20, 2011, 10:03:27 pm »

My dwarfs stink. The first artifact was a bucket. It used 1 material. The second was a gem. It used 1 material. 52 dwarfs and that's it?!

c-106mc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9944 on: January 20, 2011, 10:42:24 pm »

A Giant Earthworm raced up from the first cavern layer (which has a lake and a magma pipe) to the outside and fled off the map. I am amused and bewildered by this behavior.
Edit: Drunians disabled one of my Marksdwarves (who were all pretending to be Hammerdwarves because I forgot to make more bolts) and a Cave Crocodile mauled my Speardwarf and my only mason.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 11:28:33 pm by c-106mc »
Pages: 1 ... 661 662 [663] 664 665 ... 3835