Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 786 787 [788] 789 790 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5843838 times)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #11805 on: March 27, 2011, 04:34:47 pm »

After slaughtering a 5-squad goblin siege with his buddies, my elite warrior named his adamantine shortsword The Knife of Flame. How awesome is that?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11806 on: March 27, 2011, 04:43:23 pm »

Not only that is awesome, it also shows he's a realist and knows the size of his... sword.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11807 on: March 27, 2011, 05:59:43 pm »

Dropped into Therapist for a second, and I noticed that my dwarves are: 1 male, 6 female.

Good thing dwarves are monogamous, or I would need to edit the raws so that they could butcher and eat their own children.

Urist McHefner cancels Score: Interrupted by Jealous Ex. (x5)

- - - - -

Preparing to open Craftgates to more immigrants. Niether hide nor hair of any Forgotten Beasts yet, nor has there been a second goblin raid. What a nuisance; I was hoping to try my new security systems.

The career nicknames are affording me much amusement.

Kogan Whatshisbucket, Green Thumb, and Urist McIForgotHerName, Big Woody, have married. Congratulations!
They have decided to forgo any formal ceremony.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11808 on: March 27, 2011, 06:25:54 pm »

Just got my 5th artifact, and its the "worst" one in terms of value at 69240. However, it's mostly made of leather so I shouldn't complain. Out of the bunch it has the best image on it so far - the killing of an elf by "Ast Sportseizures the Shove of Razors the tortoise fiend".

It doesn't say how the elf died, but the artifact is called Bumal Nin, "The Worry of Toes".

By the way, it's a horse leather turban.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11809 on: March 27, 2011, 06:42:29 pm »

SON OF A BITCH.

I built a well in my statue garden, using the bottom part of a natural waterfall as a water source. It was deep in my fortress, across from the living quarters. I was doing something else when a dozen "dangerous terrain" warnings come up, so I investigate and find that my statue garden is flooding, along with half of the bedrooms. This was being caused by the lower part of the waterfall freezing, creating enormous pressure in the aqueduct. I send a miner to bypass the well and drain it into the caverns - and what happened next was one of the most amazing things I've seen.

As soon as he breaches the aqueduct, water instantaneously EXPLODES through the tunnel, giving the miner a watery burial. Trying to avoid further disaster, I order the well removed and floored over. I failed to consider the "toilet effect" of the draining water, as SEVEN dwarves get pulled into the aqueduct and drown. Eventually I designated the entire room a disaster area and cut it off completely. The death toll included the Mason and Hunter I originally embarked with, both legendary by now.

For small comfort, I don't imagine this will affect other dwarves' moods too much. For some reason nobody seems too friendly around here (99% of relationships are "passing acquaintances").

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11810 on: March 27, 2011, 07:11:11 pm »

Trying to avoid further disaster, I order the well removed and floored over. I failed to consider the "toilet effect" of the draining water, as SEVEN dwarves get pulled into the aqueduct and drown.

Have you considered weaponizing that yet? If not, why?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11811 on: March 27, 2011, 07:14:37 pm »

Trying to avoid further disaster, I order the well removed and floored over. I failed to consider the "toilet effect" of the draining water, as SEVEN dwarves get pulled into the aqueduct and drown.

Have you considered weaponizing that yet? If not, why?

The "toilet effect" could be useful for cases where goblin sieges bring amphibious mounts- this allows a way to safely dispose of the mounts after the goblins have drowned. Makes it tricky to harvest the goblinite though...

LionSilverWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrodinger's Kit
    • View Profile
    • LionWolf Studio
« Reply #11812 on: March 27, 2011, 07:20:48 pm »

A dorf went insane for lack of workshops and beat a bunny to death. He went on a rampage and punched a horse. This displeased the stallion, who charged at him, knocked him over, stomped him, waited for him to stand back up and repeated this three or four times. Finally my berserking dorf fell over from the pain and the stallion stomped his head in. For this the horse earned the name Ensebkûkuk, BasicLance. I am so glad I did not kill this horse for being male.
Why is this covered in blood?

Wurgel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11813 on: March 27, 2011, 08:06:59 pm »

Mayor mandates Aluminum... nothing on the map of cause. But its ordered and the Caravan just came to visi...... A vile force of Darkness arrived... prety much IN the caravan.

Guardiens fight, while the Caravan is running. Guardien fall, half of the caravan died and the other half run off the map. So far to shopping some Aluminium. Claim the "loot" and of cause, the escaped Part of the Caravan was carrying the Bars.

Edit: Siege reached my entrace and the iron armored goblins got sliced into little pieces by 2 wapontraps full of green glas discs. They were aimed as dodgetraps but couldnt finish until now.

Demoralized Gobos were now waiting in fron of my entrace, until an untrained peddog charged in, killed 2 Gobos and caused the other to flee, after injuring them hard enougth, that 2 of them gave into pain at running.

The Goblins just managed to cut her twice and bruise once. This are the moments, you wish you could make pets to military comanders.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:21:51 pm by Wurgel »

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11814 on: March 27, 2011, 08:30:02 pm »

NatureRags Post 11: Start | Previous Post(10) | Next Post(12)

After a long vacation from DF, I decided to go back and run a few more cycles of NatureRags looney spiral of hilarity.

The siege has abated, unexpectedly easily.  It probably has something to do with the forty some triggered cage traps.  None the less, that one armed gobbo spearmaster did a number before we put her down, slaying a swordsman and severely wounding a mason of prior fame.  The mason's prognosis is dire, but I've seen dwarves pull through worse and soldier on.  She lost her right hand and nearly the left in the carnage, so she may get retired if she survives.  A dwarf without a shield is already dead, and a dwarf without a weapon is little better.  About half of the militia has lesser wounds of varying seriousness, but I expect all to recover, at least until the game realizes I have no soap.  Happily the McUndertaker, Vucar, has survived, althought she was wounded in the right arm during the fight.  The only other questionable survivor is a farmer who had her left leg mangled pretty badly, including the knee (*wince*).  She'll be there a while.

The elven merchants, who beat the siege here by a scant few days, survived one and all unfortunately.  I failed to tag my doors "Dwarf Only" so they fled up to the armory and barracks when the goblins got near, which was a shame because I was hoping they'd serve as target practice and distractions while my more competent and infinitely less elf-like militia finished the beasties off.  I get a note that they're leaving and usher my broker to the depot, only to find they're carrying more shoes and socks than a Payless on Black Friday.  In true dwarven style, everything is seized that isn't wooden armor and weapons (I don't want militia accidently equipping those pieces of trash), amounting to over 35k dwarfbucks of stuff that's mostly useless.  At least it's ours now!

Happily, the toothy mayor who bit some trolls was not re-elected to her position.  Welcome to the military, Mistom Kiraloth.  At this rate, every former mayor is gonna end up in the military.  'Round these parts, your civil service doesn't end just because you got voted out of office!  No relevant skills? Not a problem!

For the hell of it I also unlock access to the underground caverns.  Maybe something will come spice things up by lighting it all on fire.
Current Fort: NatureRags

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11815 on: March 27, 2011, 09:15:44 pm »

After spending years in-game setting up an impenetrable defense system of iron weapon traps, a seige has finally arrived. I hand't even gotten am ambush up to this point, and the few snatchers did little to show of the trap corridor's awesomeness. But what's this? The goblins are just standing at the edge of the map, scratching their asses! Thankfully, there's no reason for any dwarves to go in that direction, so I can let my dwarves out of the fortress to continue their work. With 123 dwarves, I can spare a few herbalists when the goblins finally decide to charge.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #11816 on: March 27, 2011, 10:48:05 pm »

Yay! I went looking for this thread a week ago and couldnt find it. Bookmarked it now.

Started a new fort in the newest version of 2010.  I still cant figure out the military, but the hunting dog wiped out 8 rhesus macaques all by herself, and I got a lame artifact ring with claystone and cave spider silk.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #11817 on: March 28, 2011, 12:27:49 am »

The winter passed without incident, and the Spring has come to the county of Slaughtersboulders. The elves brought me lady friends for the lion and giant lion, as well as a hippo, horseflesh, a gorilla, and a honey badger. The elves are now my best friends forever- they are forgiven any future transgression.

Summer is just around the corner, however, and traditionally is the most violent time of year, what with the goblin ambushes and the wanton slaughter of humans. It will be interesting to see what the humans bring this year- if they come at all.

EDIT: The Honey Badger is a lady. She is gigantic and muscular. I think I'll name her "Bitey"
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 12:34:17 am by monk12 »

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11818 on: March 28, 2011, 01:40:56 am »

After spending years in-game setting up an impenetrable defense system of iron weapon traps, a seige has finally arrived. I hand't even gotten am ambush up to this point, and the few snatchers did little to show of the trap corridor's awesomeness. But what's this? The goblins are just standing at the edge of the map, scratching their asses! Thankfully, there's no reason for any dwarves to go in that direction, so I can let my dwarves out of the fortress to continue their work. With 123 dwarves, I can spare a few herbalists when the goblins finally decide to charge.
I had this very experience yesterday. Closed the main gates during a siege, leaving the only path through my brand new drowning trap. Goblins / Ogre leader don't path through trap. Ok, I say, old cage traps should take care of them (but are annoying to empty) and I open the main gate. Goblins still don't move. Is siege AI a bit broken in current versions ?

B4brilliant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11819 on: March 28, 2011, 02:37:11 am »

I've just started a fortress in a cavern. My plan is to never go up to the surface. I got there through a cave on the embark site. I hadn't intended to start a fortress on this embark at all, I was just going to kill Zombies for a while. As such, none of my dwarfs have any non-combat skills and I didn't bring a pick. But my dwarfs are all badass (there's 4 pages of deceased zombies on the units screen already) so I'm hoping they can pull it off through shear testicular strength.

I've taken one dwarf out of the squad to start chopping mushrooms and building beds, as they all have unhappy thoughts from sleeping in the dirt. Now he's extra unhappy for being taken off duty. So we'll see how it goes.
Pages: 1 ... 786 787 [788] 789 790 ... 3836