Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 939 940 [941] 942 943 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5788668 times)

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14100 on: June 23, 2011, 05:24:22 pm »

I just lost my legendary miner who lived through, I don't know, 4 or maybe 5 years of a fortress. She had been with me since the first spring, and she was the last dwarf who could say that. She survived various goblin ambushes (she even was in the military), a minotaur assault, the massive tantrum spiral that followed my Pet-Smashing Project (PSP), and the recovery of the remaining fortress  with some new and some old guys.

And now she's encased in ice, died in my failed attempt to keep the water supply up. :-[ Next spring the tile will melt and her remains flow into the fortress's water system (=mainly the hospital, because seriously, who drinks water?). I like the touch of that.

e: typo. Also, I double facepalmed when this happened. Maybe I should have put it in the other thread ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 05:31:12 pm by chewie »

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14101 on: June 23, 2011, 07:26:43 pm »

So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

That is fantastic. You must weaponize this in some kind of organized fashion. Do report back if he does spread the fire to the rest of the herd.

I was planning to do that in my current fort, but the terrifying jungle seems to be overridden by the river with headwaters in a neutral biome. How can I build a !!necropolis!! over my entryway if I can't capture any undead? :'(

Then again, the tendency of alligators to dive over the waterfall and break their necks on my grand entry bridge is pretty awesome. I imagine the magma land mines will be too, but I'm still waiting for some sucker to test them.

Also... sigged!
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14102 on: June 23, 2011, 07:54:57 pm »

So there were these skeletal camels running around the edges of my map, scaring dwarves who are constructing a magma pump stack several stories up.  So, of course, I decided to dump some magma on them to get them out of there. 

Well, it turns out that magma doesn't actually kill skeletons, b/c they can't melt or bleed to death.  But they can totally catch fire. 

So at the edge of my map was this flaming skeletal one-humped camel with yellow-level burns all over his body.  He just sat there, smoking nonchalantly.  I thought he couldn't move, but then some elven traders spawned right next to him, and oh wow he proved me wrong.  He chased those elves all over hell.  And every time he touched a patch of grass or a bush it would burst into flames.  His fire caused the fisherberry wine the traders carried to explode in clouds of steam.  Almost all the traders died from the fire rather than the his physical attacks, although I couldn't tell if he had to touch them or if the close proximity to the heat killed them.  I could only read the reports of this battle, because all I could see on screen was a rolling gray cloud pursuing the elves, and then a trail of bloody corpses when the smoke cleared. 

He's still there.  On fire.  Burning everything.  B/c of the way damage works now, with no hit points, I don't think he'll ever actually burn to ash.  I wonder if he'll set the rest of his herd on fire...

That is fantastic. You must weaponize this in some kind of organized fashion. Do report back if he does spread the fire to the rest of the herd.

I am imagining catching skeletons in traps, releasing them below a dodge trap bridge, catching them on fire with a bit of magma, and then flooding the area they are in with water.

No matter where they go, anything in the water with them should be drawn to them, then burnt.  Similar to the burning lignite furniture trick, except the furniture is mobile and chases you.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #14103 on: June 23, 2011, 09:28:57 pm »

So there were these skeletal camels running around the edges of my map, scaring dwarves who are constructing a magma pump stack several stories up.  So, of course, I decided to dump some magma on them to get them out of there. 

Well, it turns out that magma doesn't actually kill skeletons, b/c they can't melt or bleed to death.  But they can totally catch fire. 

So at the edge of my map was this flaming skeletal one-humped camel with yellow-level burns all over his body.  He just sat there, smoking nonchalantly.  I thought he couldn't move, but then some elven traders spawned right next to him, and oh wow he proved me wrong.  He chased those elves all over hell.  And every time he touched a patch of grass or a bush it would burst into flames.  His fire caused the fisherberry wine the traders carried to explode in clouds of steam.  Almost all the traders died from the fire rather than the his physical attacks, although I couldn't tell if he had to touch them or if the close proximity to the heat killed them.  I could only read the reports of this battle, because all I could see on screen was a rolling gray cloud pursuing the elves, and then a trail of bloody corpses when the smoke cleared. 

He's still there.  On fire.  Burning everything.  B/c of the way damage works now, with no hit points, I don't think he'll ever actually burn to ash.  I wonder if he'll set the rest of his herd on fire...

I am imagining catching skeletons in traps, releasing them below a dodge trap bridge, catching them on fire with a bit of magma, and then flooding the area they are in with water.

No matter where they go, anything in the water with them should be drawn to them, then burnt.  Similar to the burning lignite furniture trick, except the furniture is mobile and chases you.

BRILLIANT!

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14104 on: June 23, 2011, 10:45:49 pm »

Just built a 13 z-level tall pyramid outside my entrance, with a caravan-wide path through the middle of it. I plan eventually to line it with masterwork statues, forcing caravans to come from only one short and easily defensible path. I'm also going to put statues at each corner on each level; 1 each glass, ceramic, obsidian, and steel, all masterwork. Because fuck you, I'm awesome.

More relevantly: just had a problem with the elves which forced me to buy even more stuff to get them to ecstatic, so I decided to buy some animals I wasn't really interested in, their gibbons and a cavy or two. For the sake of efficiency, I then slaughtered those animals and cooked them for food. I wonder what the elves thought of the whole experience, me buying their graceful and charming gibbons and then immediately cooking and eating them.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14105 on: June 24, 2011, 12:22:50 am »

Played around with it in arena mode (with runesmith to give the 'skeletal' tag), and it seems like skeletal creatures will really just keep on burning forever. Or at least until they touch water. What's neat is they boil away blood, so they can clean up messy tiles.  You could use them as a dwarven vacuum cleaner.  Need to test in fort mode to see if they stay burning after trapped in magma safe cage.  That would make it easier to weaponize, if not easier on the furniture haulers. 

This might not work after next release, b/c undead are going back to a hit point system until toady adds a "pulping" system.  Whatever that means. 

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14106 on: June 24, 2011, 12:28:08 am »

Daggerdepths finally reaches 50 dwarves courtesy of a 18 dwarf immigration. And my mayor is... the child who just recently grew up. He's 13 now, is chummy with all the top military dwarves, has very nice physical and social attributes/skills and is proving to be a decent student under my military commander. I don't see him ever being taken out of office, and armok help anyone who challenges him.

The former expedition leader happens to be the lover of my military commander however. Some awkwardness there.

erith, the Mayor became a recruit at 12 years old when my military were only 10 strong and all legendary +5. 'Kid' I think was an appropriate nickname for him and that my super-soldiers would approve of.

I like giving my military dwarves nicknames based on something awesome or stupid that they did. In my first goblin ambush my hammerdwarf got shot in the leg and passed out on a cage trap trying to escape, so I nicknamed him 'Magoo' after Mr.Magoo  :P

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14107 on: June 24, 2011, 12:30:24 am »

Ah, so we can't use burning skeletons as mobile lignite bins. :(
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

GabrielSev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14108 on: June 24, 2011, 03:21:49 am »

This.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 03:23:34 am by GabrielSev »

GabrielSev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14109 on: June 24, 2011, 03:49:39 am »

RIGHT AFTER THAT
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They must have really wanted that goblet, whoever reads all that or gets it, should i give up on the fortress or ocntinue to bring it back, miasma isnt spreading to badly and i got most of the bodys out. BTW I had to cut alot of it out cause it didnt fit. Almost all of my civilians died accept 12, had about 60 before that.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #14110 on: June 24, 2011, 04:42:09 am »

go on!

The Goblet will not only attract elves, but also immigrants ! .... despite the danger.

Your biggest worries should be:
-1- Preventing murders from tantrums.
-2- Getting those dwarves burried before they start stinking/ghosting your survivors, which only brings them down.
-3- The inevitable goblin ambush that is due in less than a month.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

GabrielSev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14111 on: June 24, 2011, 05:24:28 am »

Almost exactly after i made the goblet immagrants came, also, how do I burry bodys, I have there corpes stockpiled. Lol. Ive actually for the love of me get my militia commander to equip the sword or any of the armor i made him. Somehow I guess he survived still.

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14112 on: June 24, 2011, 05:39:05 am »

Finally a highly skilled Engraver, I was getting tired of my dabbling engravers only putting pictures of buckets and trousers on the walls...

Also I realized that assigning war or hunting dogs to hunters and soldiers will make the dogs get killed easily and the dwarves very unhappy, so not doing that anymore.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #14113 on: June 24, 2011, 05:56:58 am »

Almost exactly after i made the goblet immagrants came, also, how do I burry bodys, I have there corpes stockpiled. Lol. Ive actually for the love of me get my militia commander to equip the sword or any of the armor i made him. Somehow I guess he survived still.

make coffins (carpenter/mason/smith:kasket/coffin/sarcofagus), build them (underground), 'q'uerry them and activate the 'use for burial' option. dwarves that have burial activated will carry your dead to their new homes.

you can specify specifically what items a position in a squad uses, n.b. not just metal armour, but -=steel chainmail=- ...getting the dwarf to pick it up is another issue.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14114 on: June 24, 2011, 06:08:20 am »

For dwarves and dwarven pets, build coffins, then place them and set them to be useable for open burial.

For enemies, just put a refuse plot outside somewhere.  It's best to have two refuse plots - one underground with useful stuff, the other above ground with corpses and remains and other things that generate miasma.

Outside can just mean somewhere that was outside once, but you built a ceiling over it - the remains still won't generate miasma.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 04:56:56 pm by Farmerbob »
Pages: 1 ... 939 940 [941] 942 943 ... 3835