Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1037 1038 [1039] 1040 1041 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5855447 times)

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15570 on: August 17, 2011, 08:44:09 pm »

Found a beautiful 3x3 embark. It has an aquifer, a mixture of surface stone and soils, traces of clay/sand, surface metals (tetrahedrite), trees, tons of marble, and it's on an extreme cliff over a volcano. Tis a rare occasion when I save a world's seed.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15571 on: August 17, 2011, 08:48:52 pm »

Hmm, don't nkow when I last posted, so their might be details missing and other details repeated.

I now have a 3rd squad of fully-armed sworddwarves. They're not QUITE as good as the two squads of 2 legendary dwarves, but they are pretty awesome. I now have all fighter dwarves training full-time, since they're so awesome. The plan with them is to clear out the caves when they're breached, which should happen within another dwarven year or two.

I'm quite proud of my military, since they are trained entirely without danger rooms. They did use cage traps the first few years for training, but any current training is done entirely with sparring and lessons. My top dwarves are actually legendary with 3 different weapons - silver war hammer, silver dagger, and steel short sword. I'm debating adding in spears at some point, but that might be a bit much. It's already stretching belief. A large knife and a short sword on a belt, with a silver war hammer on their back? makes sense. Just ignore that the game says they have a large knife, short sword, and silver war hammer all in their right hands at the same time.

I'm out of useable schist finally, without mining for the sole sake of mining of course. My next material is marble, which I have been saving for statues. Guess what I'm making now? an armok's load of marble statues. Masterwork ones or ones referencing my own dwarves are generally saved for some use or other.

goblinite is still my main export (and has been for several years now). I save all metal for melting, and sell all the leather/silk/fur clothing they wear in order to buy wood for charcoal. Other civs are making tons of dwarfbucks off of that shoddy material I give them.

Current for value is just over 3 million, though 1/3rd of that is a meaningless "other objects", which who knows what that value is. If it counts food, that would make sense. I have 2433 legendary meals, generally made from quarry bush leaves and sugar. I've actually completely stopped planting plump helmets, meaning my biggest drink is NOT wine, but rather beer (followed by ale, then rum).

The masterwork statues involving my previous fort bail-out still haunt me. The hidden statue garden (not designated) now holds 14 statues. double that are exceptional and thrown in the dump.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15572 on: August 17, 2011, 09:00:11 pm »

I Had a cyclops attack my fort, just after a siege so none of my cage traps were armed. He decided to go right through my chicken farm. Grave, grave mistake... The hens started beating him until he fell unconscious. He died from a kick to the head, bruising the brain.
Chickens are the domesticated badgers.
ii'm starting to think WAR CHICKENS should be the weapon of the future.
beginning mass production right about now.
Just add the [TRAINABLE_WAR] tag someplace in the entry for chickens, and voila. Instant Weapons of Mass Destruction. Just be sure to keep the females laying eggs and the males fertilising them.

EDIT: Somehow add a way for them to explode upon contact with an enemy, so now you DO have instant Weapons of Mass Destruction. Or mobile land-mines... I like that idea, living land-mines. Set the graze thing in the chicken entry to an insanely high number (like 1 million), and place the 1 tile pastures in a checkered pattern in the general path to your fortress. Chicken-mines should be fairly effective against
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:07:48 pm by UristMcHuman »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15573 on: August 17, 2011, 09:04:51 pm »

Just encountered a delightful unexpected consequence of the wanderer mod. The game decided the material "Burning" which burning arrows are made from should apply to other weapons. A kobold thief stealthily charged at my fortress gripping a fiery dagger leaving a defined trail of blood and globs of his own boiling fat before killing over without ever coming near the entrance to the fortressand starting a wildfire.

Some people might look at that as a bug with the mod that caused the dagger to exist and a bug with ai that caused him to hang onto it but I like to think he did it on purpose. I believe that kobold looked at a burning dagger and said "Yes, I will attack Dwarves with this" and as he began choking on the smoke of his own burning flesh and as he was blinded by clouds of his own boiling fluids he thought "No, this is a good plan" and charged right ahead. Sadly his body was destroyed but I've ordered the construction of a great temple around the permanently burning dagger which he refused to drop. Nothing else will do. Long after my fortress crumbles and all of it's dwarves lie dead men will come to this place to speak the name Tlothaydin, the Dwarfiest Kobold ever.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:11:37 pm by Broseph Stalin »

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15574 on: August 17, 2011, 09:59:25 pm »

but I like to think he did it on purpose. I believe that kobold looked at a burning dagger and said "Yes, I will attack Dwarves with this" and as he began choking on the smoke of his own burning flesh and as he was blinded by clouds of his own boiling fluids he thought "No, this is a good plan" and charged right ahead.
This must be sigged! Luckily there's a thread for such things.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Sir E Brum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15575 on: August 17, 2011, 10:00:24 pm »

Switched from plumps to sun berries.

Feelsgoodman.jpg

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15576 on: August 17, 2011, 10:17:30 pm »

My current embark is a little frustrating... The top three or four layers have been nothing but mudstone and clay. Third layer down most of the clay seems to have vanished - so I can finally start building rooms - but I get the feeling that I'll be moving downstairs soon.

Planning on setting up a massive clay industry. I normally crank out millions of stone crafts, but I never realised that clay ones were so much more valuable.

Awesome.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15577 on: August 17, 2011, 10:20:55 pm »

I have returned to Isla Nublar] Drunkensteels to defeat the Beak Dog menace once and for all! And maybe build a fort too, who knows. Most of my crap is scattered about the caverns, but I've managed to get most of the surface valuables recollected, and I"m working on outfitting my military in steel in anticipation of deadly animal migrations.

And fun little easter egg I only just now noticed- if you go to the help screen on a reclaim, instead of the admonition "Losing is fun!" you get "Last time you lost it was fun, and it'll be fun this time too!" I know, old news, but new to me. I feel so special.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15578 on: August 17, 2011, 10:22:25 pm »

My current embark is a little frustrating... The top three or four layers have been nothing but mudstone and clay. Third layer down most of the clay seems to have vanished - so I can finally start building rooms - but I get the feeling that I'll be moving downstairs soon.

Planning on setting up a massive clay industry. I normally crank out millions of stone crafts, but I never realised that clay ones were so much more valuable.

Awesome.
I just discovered Kaolinite, porcelain crafts of reasonable quality make 1 kaolinite stone worth 1200+ dwarfbucks.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15579 on: August 17, 2011, 11:26:17 pm »

Just about one third of my fortress is composed of the ghosts of the fallen. A new ghost just arose- the sole casualty on reclamation. I dispatched my military to dispose of a buzzard invasion, and while trying to guide their charge my immigrant swordsdwarf ran into a Giant Capybara and had his head popped off for his trouble.

No Beak dogs yet... but they will come.

Scraggletag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15580 on: August 17, 2011, 11:51:12 pm »

Previous post

The 10th of Sandstone, 103, (mid autumn) is a day that will live forever in the history of Lushmines. Two and a half years after starting a zero point embark on completely barren wastelands, I have finally broken through the aquifer.

It might not seem like much to you, but to the dwarves of Lushmines, clean, dry stone is a sight for sore eyes. We'll finally have tables, chairs, doors, pots, bedrooms, mechanisms, walls...

...I'm getting ahead of myself. First thing I need to do is open the cavern¹. I dug out a huge area in the second soil level and as soon as I hit the cavern, mushroom trees should start growing. I extended the central staircase² down through several levels of mudstone, and it didn't take long.

I hit the cavern at a very fortunate spot. The first tile which exposed the cavern came in through the roof, so it was easy to seal up. When I'm ready to delve further, I'll be able to continue the central staircase and wall it off pretty easily. The first fungi sprouted in the second soil layer tree farm almost immediately.

Another wave of migrants arrived just after hitting the caverns. For once, a few of them were actually useful. Kūbuk the high master bonecarver is working right along side Sākzul, carving bone bolts. Lolor came here as a talented bower, she has been replacing our low quality bone crossbows with considerably better ones. We also got Stākud, an accomplished weaponsmith. Due to the lack of metal, and pretty good physical stats, he's been recruited as an axedwarf.³

And then there is Deler. Deler is special.
He's already been made captain of the new axedwarf squad. With those stats, I may very well make him militia commander. The old swordsdwarf squad has been changed to hammerdwarves. Partially because I don't like saying 'Swordsdwarf', but mainly to compliment the new axedwarf squad.

I've been able to import a handful of metal bars. Didn't have the fuel to make anything with them, but now that we're through the aquifer I can change that. The dwarven caravan just arrived, they should have more metal, wood, flux...
...Well, crud.

Next post

¹Yes, cavern. Singular. This world was generated with only one.
²The central staircase is, in fact, at the very center of the map.
³Again, I don't actually have axes to give these guys, but I'll fix that eventually.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:35:06 pm by Scraggletag »

Trippin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15581 on: August 18, 2011, 12:25:19 am »

things are going rather well for a change in granitegrooves.

My bookkeeper bit the big one to a giant badger while gathering wood, so i sent out my militia to deal with the badger menace.

well, my militia commander just scratched a giant badger in the throat and opened the main artery, and it shortly bled to death.

Talk about being tough as nails.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:30:52 am by Trippin »
I imagine that every fortress will eventually become a roiling mass of naked, muddy beardballs so fat they have to travel by rolling around.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15582 on: August 18, 2011, 12:38:57 am »

Drunkensteels just underwent its first ambush, in the spring of the second year.

One squad of hammers decloaked to the north, and my fledgling military handled them with flying colors. The only injury was my militia commander, who took an arrow to the spine. Miraculously, she is still walking around- it appears that her spine is fractured, but no nerves were severed. The doctor hasn't had a chance to check her out more fully, though- there are worse injuries.

You see, when that squad decloaked, I ordered all civilians into the root cellar for safety. Just as I finished mopping up the first squad, a second squad of hammers decloaked pretty much on top of the safehouse. The safehouse that doesn't yet even have a door. Fortunately, a nobody brewer tried to run for it and attracted the ire of most of the squad- the single goblin who wasn't lured away was spiked in the head by the miner. My military arrived in time to save the brewer, but only after he took a savage beating. According to the medical report, his left arm and hand are thoroughly ruined, his right foot is fractured, and his right arm has a compound fracture and a large cut, resulting in moderate blood loss. The doc is suturing him up, and says he'll need a crutch for the foreseeable future- barring infections, he'll make it.

Moral of the Story- if you can't seal your civilians off from the outside world, make sure you leave a reserve force to defend them.

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15583 on: August 18, 2011, 12:48:02 am »

Eh, what isn't...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15584 on: August 18, 2011, 12:59:30 am »

Alright, I'm about ready to collapse this hellhole into the volcano. Let no dwarf remain sane!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1037 1038 [1039] 1040 1041 ... 3836