Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1047 1048 [1049] 1050 1051 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5859679 times)

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15720 on: August 22, 2011, 03:44:56 pm »

The name of the challenge I imposed was to build an aboveground fort with only using underground for exploration and mining, and food storage.
So far we are building a small walled villa for the dwarves to live in out of only wood, later once we manage to bypass the water table which I am sure is present we can use stone. I so far have taken down a good few werewolves with the villa guard and chained wardog detection system. The bright side says that it's at least just haunted.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15721 on: August 22, 2011, 03:49:18 pm »

The name of the challenge I imposed was to build an aboveground fort with only using underground for exploration and mining, and food storage.
So far we are building a small walled villa for the dwarves to live in out of only wood, later once we manage to bypass the water table which I am sure is present we can use stone. I so far have taken down a good few werewolves with the villa guard and chained wardog detection system. The bright side says that it's at least just haunted.

Try the Ultimate Challenge next: Elf village. You need to do some modding, you want to be able to actually make the wooden weapons and armor, as well as have bookkeeper, manager, militia captains etc.

A Dwarven siege wiped me out the 3rd year, I didnt manage to kill even one of them.  :'(

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15722 on: August 22, 2011, 03:57:16 pm »

Craftedmatches is going slowly to say the least. My first two migrant waves have given me a pair of dwarves each, bringing my population to a whopping 11 dwarves. I was hoping for more than this so that I could get started on a few mass hauling endeavors, and turn hunting on again so that there's an inflow of meat to match my outflow of bone crossbow bolts. Without the hauling force however, it's just not enough to drag things around at the speeds I need. Smithing bronze is on hold as well until either middle of year 2, or I find some coal/lignite. Whichever comes first.
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.
- The Invisible Man in the Sky

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15723 on: August 22, 2011, 04:38:52 pm »

A Roc attacked the Bridge of Love. There was only one fatality. Unfortunately, due to having no wood and lots of migrants, many dwarves had been partying for a long time. This caused a wave of depression, resulting in a tantrum spiral wiping out most of the fort through berserking, as well as many oft-smashed sections of road. Fortunately, I managed to bury all the dead, finished the road and bridge, and a small hut nearby as well. So, in the end, it all ended well. The temporary settlement was abandoned, job completed, and a new construction project has begun, in commemoration of the dead; The Bridge of Sorrow.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15724 on: August 22, 2011, 04:39:07 pm »

I'm planning a completely underwater module based sealab for science and then above ground we end up with the dwarven slum camp. Of course in the event of siege we can flood the entrance tunnel of the sealab with water and seal it off, on reopen we just use pumps to drain the tunnel. I can probably do that with the entire lab so I can flood whatever parts I feel like. Dwarven safety rooms will probably be added for the survival of two or three dwarves each near infinitly until help can get them out of the lab, if at all.
This is instead of any further challenges because I'm pretty bored with any challenges currently, maybe a haunted sealab would be pretty cool.
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15725 on: August 22, 2011, 06:51:15 pm »

Disaster!

The elven caravan arrived, and I decided to clean up after the ambushes by trading all the junk lying around away. Unfortunately, a goblin ambush decloaked on top of a helpless fort well away from the safety of the towers. And it wasn't just any dwarf- it was my very popular Mayor/Chief Medical Dwarf.

The squad that was near him was a bowgoblin squad- the Mayor dodged a couple arrows and hid behind trees to evade a few more before one of the arrows took her in the leg. Miraculously, she survived the barrage of bolts until the military arrived- a poor showing by them, as the migrants that had recently swelled their ranks were wounded or killed. But it got worse.

The dwarf that had the "Recover wounded" job picked the mayor up and started carrying him to the hospital- and the doubled back. He kept walking back and forth, inching closer to Drunkensteels before turning around and walking into the middle of nowhere for no reason. He was military, so I activated his squad and he dropped the mayor. The civilian who picked up the job exhibited the same behavior. Activating the civilian alert eventually broke him out of the cycle, but resulted in the Mayor being dropped in a bed three doors down from the hospital. The mayor currently has arrows stuck in her upper body, right leg, left arm, and lower body.

I quickly assigned a different dwarf to the Chief Medical Dwarf position- the dwarf with the best innate talents, as none of my migrants had any medical experience at all. He promptly began diagnosing- the three dwarves who made it to the hospital. And right now, he is getting a drink. I will be very pissed if he allows my Mayor to die- she is "quite quick to heal," but she really needs those arrows extracted. I don't have detailed information due to lack of diagnosis, but her guts and left lung are red, with her liver being yellow.

Well, then again, it appears one of my militia captains has two arrows stuck in his hand and leg. I know he's been treated- he has stitches and bandages, and no further treatment scheduled. I guess the Mayor figured if he could still fight, it was fine?

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15726 on: August 22, 2011, 07:40:17 pm »

Fucking aquafirs and the fact my wagons landed right on the edge of the surf zone for waves has caused me to abandon that project, damn dwarves and their shitty wagon placement.

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15727 on: August 22, 2011, 07:59:43 pm »

In my quest to get magma Fimshel(Ettin) showed up. Prepared to lose my entire military at the drop of a hat if necessary, they fly out to handle the situation. Fimshel, obviously not looking for a fight, ran into my little sand miner training area and just chilled next to my dead legendary miner's burial site. Grouping up around the entrance, my military rushed in. My militia commander went in first with her Bismuth Battle Axe and fucked things up nicely until the ettin broke a few of her bones, hip and ankle included.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

She's hungry and thirsty because my military is still trying to kill the ettin one floor above her. No peasants can get in without an interruption and I'm pretty sure if I just order them off he'll go down there and eat her or something.

Oh yeah. About the lengthy time it's taking to kill this thing. Only 2 of my dorfs have actual weapons and one of them is dying on the floor below me. The others only have training axes.

But that's not only only fun situation I have on my hands. In the middle of the beat-down Esp here decided to show up down in cavern 3.

He's currently flying up my 80z staircase towards my main area. Designated some floors to be made on the stairs. If they don't pop up fast enough I won't be able to come back from the devastation Esp is bound to cause but this fort will go down as one of the best I've had.

An update:
Floors were built successfully and a peasant managed to slip into the chaos and slip out with my commander. Instant promotion to "King Shit" status for that peasant(Only time will tell if saving her was useful or not, but oh well.) Still fighting the Ettin but sent my legendary miner in there with a pick to try for a brain hit so my fucking solders can eat.

Edit 2:
Sent my legendary miner after him but no sooner did the ettin take the fight to the surface. They ran around for a bit and I learned that one of my new recruits is super fucking agile as he was the only one that could keep up with it constantly. Too bad he had a training axe. I even sent some of the hungry/thirsty ones off to do their thing while the others kept up the pursuit(I feared what might happen if the ettin wasn't scared of my dorfs beating the shit out of it). A human caravan showed up eventually and the soldiers dispatched the ettin pretty fast. But with it's dying fucking breath it ripped my Skilled Axedwarf's left arm off.

The ettin dead I centered in on my entrance and noticed gore in the north-eastern corner. Looking at it, it was a dorf arm.

"HOLY SHIT DID THAT ETTIN THROW MY DORFS ARM ACROSS THE RIVER!?" is exactly went through my mind. But no, it wasn't my military dorfs arm. It was a peasant's hand. A Giant Badger Sow ripped his hands off.

The moral of this story? Don't fucking trust badgers.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:34:27 pm by PwndJa »

MonsteR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15728 on: August 22, 2011, 08:03:31 pm »

Newish fortress Asdakoth (Cavefloor) is doing fairly well. Having trouble keeping my wood supply up with my need for charcoal, and don't quite possess the cojones (or well-enough trained military) to dig to magma. Working on making some cage traps to see if I can't catch some of these creatures wandering around in the cavern I struck.

Two artifacts so far, a *fanfare* Bag and Mini-Forge! And the forge menaces with leather spikes! That'll toughen them kids up.

The best part about the Mini-Forge creation? The dwarf ONLY had skills in farming, and STILL only has skills in farming. And he was my Expedition Leader. And the Liason had arrived a few minutes earlier, and still being somewhat new I didn't know my Leader had to not be busy. The Liason was none too pleased.

As soon as I catch some of these Elk Birds we are going to take our frustration out on them.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15729 on: August 22, 2011, 08:09:44 pm »

DAMMIT YOU HAIRY LITTLE DRUNKS

Nobody is treating my mayor. Well, I should say former mayor- a dwarf who was crippled years ago has finally made enough friends to take the office, and his preferences are much more annoying. Since she is no longer mayor, and no longer Chief Medical Dwarf, I shall refer to her as the Good Doctor. She has outstanding setting, suture, and immobilizatoin requests, and despite the fact I had three doctors immigrate and made the Suturer with the iron will and great empathy CMD, nobody is healing her.

I was just attacked by a firebreathing Hill Titan, as well. He dished out a few bruises, kicked a Recruit in the arm so hard the bone was jammed through the shoulder muscle and shattered the shoulder bone, and died when that same Recruit stabbed him in the brain from behind. I saw some fire, but according to the combat report it missed everyone.

While this was going on, a dwarf got possessed and grabbed a big ol' stack of Giant Moose bone and some diorite and got crackin' on an artifact. It ended up being a cheap ass diorite ring, and was only notable because it meant he was in a workshop on the surface within a bowshot of the Titan battle.

And now the Recruit is languishing in the hospital much as the Good Doctor fades away in the barracks, and none of my doctors care. Jerks.

EDIT: Rakust Aniluzol, Chief Medical Dwarf, Former Mayor, and Founding Member of Drunkensteels died of infection. His doctors are bloody putzes.

It's not all bad, though. Another pack of Beak Dogs was repelled without losses- without even a bruise. While I wait for more limestone blocks, I've decided to begin making small diorite homes for the middle classes around the outskirts of Drunkensteels. The central towers and important buildings shall still be made out of limestone.

In other news, Drunkensteels is now a Barony- I appointed my former Expedition Leader to the position. The need for nobles quarters has risen sharply.

Seemingly in celebration, a tanner got possessed, grabbed a ton of items and made Eral Flashring, a sheep leather shirt worth 48240 dorfbucks. Nothing special to look at, but it's the second most valuable artifact in the fort (behind the steel buckler from a long while ago.)

To top it off, the last wave of migrants was almost entirely composed of military grade dorf-flesh. Another good wave and I can start activating the old squads.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 10:05:14 pm by monk12 »

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15730 on: August 22, 2011, 11:26:06 pm »

Nobody is treating my mayor. Well, I should say former mayor- a dwarf who was crippled years ago has finally made enough friends to take the office, and his preferences are much more annoying. Since she is no longer mayor, and no longer Chief Medical Dwarf, I shall refer to her as the Good Doctor. She has outstanding setting, suture, and immobilizatoin requests, and despite the fact I had three doctors immigrate and made the Suturer with the iron will and great empathy CMD, nobody is healing her.
you should have deconstructed the bed, go back to a previous save if you have one and try it... OR designate the location as a hospital zone.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15731 on: August 22, 2011, 11:34:33 pm »

you should have deconstructed the bed, go back to a previous save if you have one and try it... OR designate the location as a hospital zone.

I tried deconstructing, along with a host of other things. By the time somebody suggested hospital zoning the barracks in the Little Questions thread it was too late. I'll know for next time, anyway.

In other news, a six squad goblin ambush killed most of my swordsdwarves (two spawned to the north east, then the other four to the southwest, with two of those being bows. Wasn't pretty for the reserve group.) Worse, the first group spawned on top of my miner, killing him quickly. Now I need to train up ANOTHER miner before going after the bluemetal- according to the units list, this will be the fifth one- discounting the migrant miner who laid aside his pick for the axe, anyway. Who knew miners were so valuable in aboveground forts...

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15732 on: August 23, 2011, 02:47:14 am »

I'm making money. I'm filthy rich. I just gave away tons of stuff for free to my parent civ.

But surely thou dost request compensation for these items?

Nah it's cool bro.

This generosity is truly amazingly beautiful... tears are shedding in me eyes!

Here, wipe yo tears with this Masterwork giant cave spider silk robe decorated I've got lying around.

Thank you... this is the best thing that has ever happened to me!

Don' mention it bro.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15733 on: August 23, 2011, 08:20:42 am »

Dang, now I want some "actively alarming armor."  Kind of like a car alarm.

Urist is ecstatic.  Urist has had a decadent drink lately.  Urist has taken joy in destruction.  Urist has been annoyed by a *chain mail shirt*.  Urist has slept poorly due to noise.

DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15734 on: August 23, 2011, 08:37:08 am »

Horror and Bloodshed

Scrapedswords is in mourning.

The main target of this fort was to run long enough to have a child come of age.  I am digging down and having fun, but I usually get bored or FPS death before then, so I set this up to achieve this.

I have two Legendary Hammerers, one of who has a named silver warhammer with 82 named kills.  And many named crossbows.  An artifact dog bone Mace and Pig Iron Axe.  All coming together in a lovely mature fortress.  Just got to the third cavern, and planning to use magma this time to punch through.

Then a couple of Forgetten Beast arrived.  No deadly dust, so they got dealt with like normal.

Then people started dying due to a syndrome of some sort.  And dying.  And dying.  The third tantrum spiral has been avoided, but at what cost?  Population dropped from 82 to 38.   And of the twenty children we had, we lost all but 3.

And then one went mad, and was locked in his room.

But then, what is this?  "As 'so-and-so' has become a Peasant."  Hurrah!  Success!  I had trouble finding the dwarf though.  I eventually found him.   As a @ locked in a bedroom....

I guess I will be playing on.  The steel pumps are prepared, and we will punch through the lake, and set up the Magma furnaces.

And we have dwarves set up to Clean.  The animals are still dying, so I guess the children are still not safe.  We will persevere, and build a monument to the lost young souls.
Pages: 1 ... 1047 1048 [1049] 1050 1051 ... 3836