Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1053 1054 [1055] 1056 1057 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5858806 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15810 on: August 25, 2011, 11:21:22 pm »

The replacement FB turned out to be a great hairy flying gecko- beware his deadly spittle! He knocked over a floodgate on his way to the surface, where he was torn apart.

This year, when the human caravan came they brought a diplomat- their Law-Giver, Oce Uquurashro, leader and part time tanner of The Short Empire. After the usual niceties, my baroness bought all their metal, booze, and cloth as usual and in return let them take our unneeded source of used goblin loincloths.

Speaking of the goblins, they sent another flurry of ambushes this year. My military currently consists of 4 2-dwarf squads- I deployed them 2 and 2 and utterly destroyed the goblins. As a result, all but 2 dwarves have a title- my militia commander and one of my Swordsdwarf captains are tied for the lead with 16 notable kills apiece- my commander gets the edge due to the two Beak Dogs he has to his name, as opposed to the other's Beak Dog and Harpy (they both have a smattering of buzzards in there as well.) Meng Mineplaited, the swordsdwarf who saved the life of my mechanic and her many children, has six kills including a forgotton beast and is now known as Meng Mineplaited the Spattered Consideration of Cells. The last standout dwarf is Stodir Hollowinked the Infamous Fire, who quite apart from being one of my most skilled military members is also a Legendary Blacksmith, having made an artifact anvil the previous year.

All in all, three dwarves hospitalized themselves after the fighting for various cuts and bruises- the most serious was a novice swordsdwarf who had some nerves in her left hand cut. All of them made a full recovery and have returned to duty good as new. Now if I can just get my Miner's skill up to snuff, I can finally start chipping away at the bluemetal.

EDIT: I nearly forgot- My carpenter went fey, grabbed a whole mess of things and made... The West Authority, a Blood Thorn Bin. Oh well, at least it's 46k dorfbucks.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:23:01 pm by monk12 »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15811 on: August 26, 2011, 12:07:16 am »

Failed a mood, MCOM got a title. Sakzul Faintedcudgel, Metalcrafter went berserk after failing his mood (no cloth and no thread...). Militia Commander Zaneg Larmomuz got the kill and a title: Zaneg Meetingcrypts the Blockaded Recluse of Justice.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15812 on: August 26, 2011, 01:43:29 am »

Lost a retarded marksdwarf who decided to run up and bash a gigantic panda with his crossbow after I'd ordered him to get more ammo; he shall not be missed.
Meanwhile, my newly-appointed militia commander, nicknamed 'Lori', is a skilled marksdwarf and is currently attempting to shoot down a giant eagle! She's doing a pretty good job too, she might succeed. :)
The cook must have bones! We have no oyster shells, but maybe he'll settle for giant eagle bones.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15813 on: August 26, 2011, 01:45:39 am »

Been playing for years and usually abandon fortresses because of FPS or losing interest.

But I just got my first Bronze Colossus. He stepped onto my map. Charged and killed my Baron and then promptly stepped into one of my few cage traps.

Which happened one month after the Baron's consort went mad after a failed strange mood.

This is the most fun I've had in a fort without FUN.

I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15814 on: August 26, 2011, 02:07:21 am »

Tower Divine keeps rocking along.  The magma pump stack is dug out and over half the pumps are installed.  And it looks like the dual-DWR and a few windmills will generate sufficient power to run it.   :D

The cistern has been drained, given a lead lining, and deepened slightly to prevent mud-filled buckets.  It also has a manual pump to drain it out through one of the caverns.  Working on a method to get a self-running circulation pump into the cistern now that will simply churn the water to keep it fresh (if that works).  Otherwise I guess I will need to periodically drain and cycle in a fresh load from the river.  (Or maybe just find out how well the first cavern handles having part of a river diverted into it...)

Goblins are avoiding the place again.  Instead I got a visit from an ettin.  He got dinged up by some weapon traps, hit by lever-operated spikes when he tried to attack a hatch, fletched by marksdwarves when he tried to camp out and heal in a tunnel, and then got chopped to pieces by a serrated disc trap he dodged coming in.  I also trapped and spiked another FB in the caverns - the infamous fire-breathing shelled ribbon worm Seggu; chaser of asbestos pea chicks.  He is now the Blue Plate Special in the commissary for the next month.

And the militia continues to train while the armorers churn out more gear.  The marksdwarf squads are starting to shape up nicely.  Three elite in a squad, and three other squads of 4-5 who are talented or better.   I finally churned out enough wooden bolts for continual range use - plus I have a goblin Axe Lord who still has iron armor running around the Arena for live target practice.  He must be close to Legendary Dodge now - so I can't let him out.

My better melee units have steel/cotton candy armor and weapons at this point - time to let them have more fun when the next raid shows up.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15815 on: August 26, 2011, 02:41:43 am »

Well, Militia Commander Lori Tosidavuz shot down the eagle with the last bolt in her quiver, sending it plummeting earthwards where it shattered its wing, along with its leg and various other bits.
Then I ordered out a bunch of motley, unarmed recruits to finish it off while she grabbed more ammo, but by the time they got out there the thing was flying again, with a broken wing! They were kinda milling around, not sure what to do, when crackshot Lori gets back, shoots the thing again, chipping its damaged wing and making it crash back down to the ground, breaking even more bones! :) This time, we should be eating eagle tonight!

EDIT: Yep, dead! After a whole bunch of unarmed guys swarmed over it, punching ineffectually at the poor thing's head for a while, the husband of the recently-deceased marksdwarf turned up and cut its head open.
Poor thing, but if this saves my skilled cook, its sacrifice will not be in vain!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 02:46:10 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15816 on: August 26, 2011, 06:12:56 am »

Anything but training weapons! Have you no weapons-grade metal at all? Dig man, dig!
No, I don't. Well actually I managed to buy two bars of silver and one of bronze from the first Dwarf and Human caravans. The bronze is used for my militia commander's coat of mail, one of thee silver for his hammer and the other silver bar for a chain for my fancy well. It's mostly siltstone (and marble) so there SHOULD be magnetite but I've not found any yet.

And training spears work hilariously well against normal badgers and rhesus macaques, it's just the nastier things that are ... nasty. Like giant badgers. :(

Edit; fuck it. I was looking the other way for a second and another giant badger mauled a woodworker. I'm going to abandon; I want metals. :P
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 06:29:16 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15817 on: August 26, 2011, 06:45:13 am »

Wow, 'Lori' is really becoming the fort's go-to woman, the only dwarf I've bothered giving a nickname so far. :P
After shooting down the giant eagle so the others could mob it, she headed back and got more ammo.
Then, I was getting frustrated 'cause the other butcher was going on about not having any nearby fresh corpses to butcher, so I told Lori to do it, and without any fuss she goes and does it! Yay!
Sadly, it took a bit too long to cut up, and the cook went insane. :( Well, he probably wouldn't have been happy with eagle bone, anyway.
Booze is Life for Yoink

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15818 on: August 26, 2011, 07:24:00 am »

Bigods, this time I found the first cavern as early as -9. Same map as where I found it at -10 so I suppose it's just a relatively thin crust. Also, there are platypi-folk.

And there is cassiterite. And a downward passage. I'm hoping for tetrahedrite or an iron soon.

Edit; pfff early fort can be tense. There were some troglodytes who would have been able to just walk up my stairs from the cavern into the living quarter so I quickly sealed it off. During which a helmet snake attacked but my dogs killed it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 07:53:17 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15819 on: August 26, 2011, 09:01:01 am »

To amplify the challenge I modded all species of monkey and several more dangerous creatures to steal food alcohol and objects and set up an above ground fort. A troop of chimpanzees blitzkrieged their way into my stockpile building and started helping themselves, I managed to lock the doors but I have no professional military and I didn't want to risk a dwarf receiving a "minor" injury that crippled him for life so I had 7 crazy monkeys mongling all my stuff and no way to get any work done with the warehouse locked up. Then I had a cavern flashback, I remembered how I dealt with the friendly gorlaks who had the audacity to live near things that I wanted. I removed a tile of the roof and just started throwing cave crocodiles inside. I think this is my new favorite way of dealing with things, throwing crocodiles.

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15820 on: August 26, 2011, 09:25:55 am »

Then I had a cavern flashback, I remembered how I dealt with the friendly gorlaks who had the audacity to live near things that I wanted. I removed a tile of the roof and just started throwing cave crocodiles inside. I think this is my new favorite way of dealing with things, throwing crocodiles.

"Hi there, I like crocodiles. Do you like crocodiles? Let's see shall we?"
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.
- The Invisible Man in the Sky

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15821 on: August 26, 2011, 09:55:46 am »

I always feel bad if Gorlaks die near my fort. :(

Also, check out my wicked hospital-to-be:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit; at the moment one of my starting miners, lover of my expedition leader, is in there because I made a mistake designating. The man is pale but I assumed that is because my CMD is being not very skillful and operating and busy with him. So the CMD is standing down and hopefully the miner can get some strength back.

Edit2; too late did I realize the blood loss was due to infection. He has joined Armok in his Golden Halls.  :(
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 11:44:53 am by FrisianDude »

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15822 on: August 26, 2011, 10:46:02 am »

The wonder that is Craftedmatches has been through their entire first year now. We've lost half of our chickens to badgers so far, and the rest of them have finally been moved inside, though some of the nestboxes that were made are apparently still missing. We've also had two migrant waves of two dwarves each, so with our awe-inspiring ELEVEN dwarves at this point in time, I'm left hoping for a decent migrant wave for a labor force of some sort. Still no coal or lignite, and the cassertite was in strangely shorter supply than first appeared, so smelting is being put off till either 40 dwarves or the 3rd year. whichever comes first.
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.
- The Invisible Man in the Sky

Prixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15823 on: August 26, 2011, 11:06:00 am »

Plump Helmets, Frozen Rivers, and Miasma.
I'm rather new to DF, and this is my first "Successful" fortress.
-a recent Goblin ambush ( also my first ) left my Military a bit down though.
With five of my best warriors lying in the hospital, asking for water, I've done my best to oblige.
But guess what? Yeh. Frozen Rivers. Only one survived.

-oh and for some reason layers 1 & 2 of my caverns are completely empty?
I admit I haven't actually sent forces down to explore, but they look deserted.

Tl;Dr -> Lots of Newbie Fun.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #15824 on: August 26, 2011, 11:53:31 am »

I just played some more after a month break...
D:
:D
:'(
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 1053 1054 [1055] 1056 1057 ... 3836