Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1070 1071 [1072] 1073 1074 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5844212 times)

Lainers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #16065 on: September 05, 2011, 12:42:32 pm »

That is the problem. Mansory was her field of work, but she never used a workshop in her life...

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16066 on: September 05, 2011, 01:55:57 pm »

Never,ever, ever using Legends Viewer again.

It seems any copies of saves anywhere on my computer are deleted when I try to make a backup copy to trigger it, so THANKS A LOT FOR KILLING TWO FORTS, CRAPPY PROGRAM.

I *liked* my Axe Lord Ettin/Dragon/Elf/Goblin Slayer.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16067 on: September 05, 2011, 02:28:01 pm »

Went to grab some fish and chips while leaving my dwarves to mine some bedrooms and shizzle, come back to find 34 dwarves managed to end up falling into my 17 z level pit.

Idiots.
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16068 on: September 05, 2011, 02:34:44 pm »

Well.... After 2 months of a huge siege against my fortress I decided that enough was enough and sent out all 3 squads of my best dwarfs to free us from the blockade. This was a terrible mistake with many consequences.

20 Longterm heroes of the fortress died, some succumming to infection from tiny wounds.
These 20 heroes had all been atleast expert in swordsdwarf, and in the time it took them to train, they became great friends.
"Has lost a friend to tragedy lately"
"OH GODS URIST I CAN'T TAKE LOSING JIM, I'm going to kill steven to make it feel better!"
"OH GODS URIST I CAN'T TAKE LOSING STEVEN!, I'm going to kill rodger to make it feel better!"
"WHO built this bed here! It looks better on the end of your face!"

Then someone killed the entire chef district, resulting in a fixed amount of food.
Babies being born left right and centre in the middle of the carnage.
Babies dying left right and centre in the middle of the carnage.
No coffins left Urist!
Then they even elected a new mayor to try and stop the madness!
The new mayor then promptly went insane!

And all because I wanted to trade some mugs.

Edit: Shortly after posting this, another Greenskin seige arrived and I had noone to close the gates. I suspect the worse will happen.

Edit 2: Woah woah woah woah what?  The Greenskins were so terrified of the 200 insane dwarves that they gave up the siege even after breaching all of my defences! There are now roughly 30 dwarves chained up all in some form of madness or rage.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 03:01:41 pm by Thor »
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16069 on: September 05, 2011, 03:16:11 pm »

That is the problem. Mansory was her field of work, but she never used a workshop in her life...
If she was just a wall builder who has never gotten any experience in actual masonry, then she would want a Craftsdwarf's Workshop so she can become a legendary woodcrafter.

In Bridgegate, I recieved an anouncement the "Logem Vabokoltar has grown to become a Ghost."
Completed building a wall around the map, now the only way in is across the frozen ocean. Work has begun digging out a massive cavern beneath the ocean. The plan is to fill the cavern with magma, permanently thawing the ocean above.
All the digging has inspired one of the children to go moody. The result,

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16070 on: September 05, 2011, 03:30:55 pm »

"OH GODS URIST I CAN'T TAKE LOSING JIM, I'm going to kill steven to make it feel better!"
"OH GODS URIST I CAN'T TAKE LOSING STEVEN!, I'm going to kill rodger to make it feel better!"
I'm quoting this for the sigtext thread.

In the end I had to destroy Nutgilt by modding. They killed all the undead, they killed the merchants without casualty, and none of them went insane even though the were miserable. I wish it had fallen by normal means, now I just feel dirty.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 03:33:22 pm by ArKFallen »
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16071 on: September 05, 2011, 03:50:05 pm »

Built a huge fort in the side of a massive cliff with lots of marble for flux and natural obsidian.  Had 180 dwarves and was made a County.  Built a GIGANTIC flooding system, with two massive reservoirs to either side of the entrance, pumping all the way up from the ocean 36 z levels below.  Dug down to the magma sea and built magma smelters, kilns, forges, the works.

Computer blew it's powersupply later that day, and though all my hardware was intact, I lost my most recent data.  No important documents, but... all my DF saves.  The reservoirs were still filling and I hadn't yet got to test my flood machine.

*cry*
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16072 on: September 05, 2011, 06:31:33 pm »

City Uzustuth aka "Growlfence"...

One cavern (and thusly no adamantine) and buckets of limonite, hematite, and magnetite, along with lignite, bituminous coal, and enough dolomite to flux it all.

This is my first serious attempt at a steel industry fort, and i'm up to 63M dorfbucks in created wealth so far.  It was definitely faster to get the x thousand serrated steel discs made, compared to sand & glass.  Military has handled the titans and FB's while the traps have handled the goblins, trolls, & ogres with grand efficiency.

I've built the living quarters, dining hall, and crafting areas without incident.  This time around, I used a 150 population limit, and a zero percent chance of dwarf children (once the adults are in the fort).  This has resulted in no FPS loss as things have progressed (population holding at 175), so I'm going to stick with those settings from now on.  This is way better than having all the mothers trailing 7-13 children around with them everywhere they go.

Some variety in booze & food would be nice, but I went with subterranean farms this time, so... /shrug, they can deal with it.  At least they're GETTING food and drink!

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16073 on: September 06, 2011, 12:03:25 am »

A busy Year #10 in TowerDivine.   :D

Got a second legendary weaponsmith when a brewer got a mood and made an adamantine war hammer.  However, I'm up to date on my weapon stocks.   :(

Goblin sieges at the end of spring and the end of summer.  Both massacred in the access tunnels from a combination of weapon traps, marksdwarves behind fortifications, and my full-time military hitting them in that order.  The few prisoners are being interrogated and then will be pitted in the Arena.  Goblin-ite mining is hitting a level where I am starting to dump and incinerate the clothes as well as the corpses and just salvaging the metal.   8)

And a new FB appeared.  He killed two peafowl near my cavern trap complex and then was trapped and spiked to death.  450 units of meat, 144 of bone, and various organ meats; so he stocked the larder for quite a while and thus the sheep and turkey are being left alone to be milked and eggs collected.  The known remaining FB are an alligator trapped between fungi-trees and the walking steam kettle (whereabouts unknown).

The main fortress "side" project is the Black Tower complex on the far side of the river - the moat is dug and the first level laid out.  Now working on building upward and starting on the interior facilities.  My obsidian caster is running consistently now as well to supply obsidian (converted to block by the masons) for the construction.

The other projects are down deep near the Magma Sea to obsidian part of the sea to get access to some more cotton candy ore.  Also making a "fun zone" to see if I can cull the clown population a bit.

The militia keeps training; the regulars are competing for the leader in notable kills (two axe dwarves in the lead with 11); and the armorer is close to finishing enough kit (except for boots) to steel/candy equip ninety dwarves - which will cover my regulars and a good chunk of the militia.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16074 on: September 06, 2011, 12:09:03 am »

I genned this.

One of the civs was the Lances of Carnage, so I named my fort The Point of Impaling and the group Powerstab of God, because it made me giggle like a schoolgirl.

Spear training will be mandatory for everydorf.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16075 on: September 06, 2011, 01:12:15 am »

Just got attacked by a minotaur 'Gorgeflew the Unbridled Mucus'.

He must have one hell of a runny nose.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

MonsteR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16076 on: September 06, 2011, 02:06:52 am »

Current fortress is at an embark with barely anything except Magnetite and Limestone and a few low-worth gems. At least I have steel on lock. Chased off a snatcher and not 5 minutes later got ambushed by goblins. Killed a bunch of my livestock and a macedwarf, my military is now down to 1 dwarf (I've had really bad luck from migrant waves, nobody has combat skills).

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16077 on: September 06, 2011, 10:52:37 am »

I just got a weaponsmith fey mood and he made a badass electrum war hammer with a picture of my civ's dead queen on it. It's called 'Smearlured'. So awesome.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16078 on: September 06, 2011, 11:27:57 am »

Aaaawesome.

Good idea: Unicorn-based goblin execution device.
Bad idea: Sending unicorns up-hill to fight off armed goblin ambushers.

Yeouch.

Bloody giant mountain needs some additional defensive measures.

Bwaha. My expedition leader likes flounders for their strange eyes, in her office she now has a green glass statue of herself embracing two flounders. :P
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 11:34:08 am by AWdeV »
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Loli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16079 on: September 06, 2011, 12:40:49 pm »

Ingish Ulderith Musodthosbut Shadmal is the current badass in my fort. Legendary Axelord, Legendary Dodger, Legendary Fighter, Legendary Shield User, Legendary Armor User. He is also the current mayor.

This guy has warded off four sieges with no help at all, and carried my fortress through a population of three adults and seven children at year five through two years of no immigrants at all.

His artifact steel battle axe has fifty-five kills so far on it.
Pages: 1 ... 1070 1071 [1072] 1073 1074 ... 3836