Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1089 1090 [1091] 1092 1093 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5859038 times)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #16350 on: September 20, 2011, 07:21:00 am »

My militia just killed off five Draltha with not a single injury.  There is no kill like overkill-- I outnumbered them three to one with five fully equipped hammerdwarves and five fully equipped marksdwarves.

Full iron armor (chain shit, breastplate, gauntlets, greaves, boots) plus cloak for all the hammerdwarves, full leather for the marksdwarves.

And I leveled up four marksdwarves and a hammerdwarf in the fight :D
Five plus five = ten. Ten is not thrice as much as five. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16351 on: September 20, 2011, 07:22:40 am »

Pardon me if I count dwarves as more valuable in combat than draltha.
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16352 on: September 20, 2011, 08:53:56 am »

Savescumming is for pussiesss.....

Also - catch the Draltha in cage traps and then train them! I once had a fort chock full of random trained hunting cave denizens, it was brilliant.

My fort is full of ducklings, it's quite amusing. I don't want to kill them off yet because my FPS is fine, so I'm taking great pleasure with watching my dwarves wandering to and fro, and then being utterly swamped by a dozen ducklings and their mother as they charge around the fortress with no particular aim in sight. I was actually fairly impressed those eggs hatched, considering that Borioth snatch them up almost as soon as they're laid. So many Nest Boxes, I guess. Which I'm not complaining about.

MOAR NESTBOXES. DUCKS FOR THE DUCK GOD, EGGS FOR THE EGG THRONE!

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16353 on: September 20, 2011, 09:09:26 am »

Before I went to class (in class right now), I was building my third barracks for my axedwarves, which is about five levels below the first cavern.  THey will be the ones to explore the second cavern whenever I get them equipped.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16354 on: September 20, 2011, 09:32:39 am »

Bahaha! We're still alive, and who knows, we might live a while longer!
I had written Kneadwildness off for dead when a squad of bow goblins attacked, lead by a single hammerdwarf, and even just opened the doors to let everyone out once they started tantruming. I figured they should go out with a bang.

Anyway, the tantrum spiral's still going, but I think it's slowing down now, with 44 people still alive, although that includes quite a few with such horrible mental scars after their ordeal that they can no longer feed themselves.
Anyway, my main hope of salvation? Two of my cooks survived, albeit one with a broken finger.
The healthy cook is busily roastin' up some delicious, cheerful lavish meals, although he is only an adequate cook.

The dead are going in the corpse stockpile, and I still have my favourite mason to make some coffins. The goblins left, obviously, after most of their number finally died and the rest were pretty badly injured.

Edit: Okay, well I kinda fibbed when I said the tantrum spiral was slowing down... I still have two beserk people, and the populace at large are murdering each other indiscriminately. Now I have a woodcutter acting strangely, possibly in a fey mood.
Here's hoping he makes his psychopathic beserking girlfriend into a hat, and not one of my useful people! D:

On the plus side, I still have a few folk working away despite the circumstances, including my favourite mason "Sweet" Utag, who is currently tending to the injured despite her complete lack of medical training. Bless 'er little heart! :P
Also, putting the hooved critters back in their pasture, after letting them out in hopes of distracting the goblins.
43 people left with the murder of my legendary bowyer.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 09:56:07 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16355 on: September 20, 2011, 02:30:31 pm »

Found the second cavern level.  It's almost completely flooded, so it looks like I'll just be digging around it rather than trying to harvest anything in it.  There's a lot of native silver, but sadly, it's almost inaccessible without building tons of flooring.  Which would be fine, but this is cavern level 2, and so it'd probably get interrupted a lot by enemies.

Pelander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16356 on: September 20, 2011, 03:01:09 pm »

I just finished creating and arming two 10-axedwarf squads. They're going to take turns patrolling the Deep Road, the 3-wide road that runs from the surface, through my main fortress, and down to the secondary fortress in the first cavern.

Clutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16357 on: September 20, 2011, 03:02:03 pm »

Cloudytowers is somehow managing to slowly recover, except for the damnable ambushes. Had two happen that has put us back to 14 with four injured. Cage traps are saving our bacon and now there's over thirty cages of goblins and trolls. You'd think they would've decided to leave us alone after killing their leader, but noooooo. All about the vengence. The animal stock also needs better defenses I've come to realize as it's almost step one in their ambushes and sieges to go after the livestock. Hopefully a migrant wave will come by soon so there will be more military and to start production again.

Edit: Correction 53 Gobbos and Trolls and down to only 11 dorfs with three of them resting. One of those three the damnable lazy armorsmith who insists she's needing to stay in the hospital even though nothing is wrong with her. I deconstruct the bed and she just goes to another one. Bah.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 03:14:31 pm by Clutzy »

ZZmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16358 on: September 20, 2011, 04:47:02 pm »

so of my 60 dwarves all are in tantrum spiral. 8) so i said fuck them and decied to break out dfmarmot and raise the temperature. 60000 urist should be good enough. that will learn the little frackers who's boss it will be !fun! to see the site when i re-claim it. stupid cats are what caused it.

Addendum
day one of reclaim
We the dwarfs of shattered throne were instantly worried when the Great Gypsum fortress went silent. On arrival we were greeted with a hell born land scape ash every where the very ground cracked and broken and there stood the fortress no doors and on the wall was a silhouette of a dwarf? as i looked around i find more dwarf silhouettes on the very walls. what had happened to this vital fortress in our war against the tree humphing elves?

day five of reclaim
we ventured down the stairs and found only 3 levels down that there was no sign of the devastation that had seemingly killed every one above ground and found the magma forges set with up and ready  my weapons smiths tell me that he can begin to construct anything copper with the about stashed down here.

day twelve of reclaim
i found a great smoothed cavern of dwarf construction today hidden behind a wall we thought was blocking cavern creatures from venturing into the fortress and we found the bodies no bones of 10 dwarves picked apart with teeth marks on the bones. we were startled to relies the teeth marks matched the skulls of the very dwarves sealed into the chamber. after losing what lunch i had i order the 'bodies' moved to caskets praying the souls of these dwarves would be put to rest.

day thirty of reclaim
what stated as moaning and shifting out of the corner of my eye has transformed into an army of ghosts moving our things hiding our supplies and in the case of our metal smiths pushed into the lava fueling the smelters I may very well have to order the evacuation of the fortress. as we can find no ledger or list of the names here we have no way of putting to rest the ghosts in this fortress.

day thirty two evacuation.
It seems the ghost don't want us to leave in the last two days 6 more dwarfs have been killed first my master mason then the crafts dwarf who were working on slabs to the fallen metal smiths i believe an evil force has taken the souls of this fortress and is trying to now steal ours in death as well I've told my surviving people to flee with out me and warn away any trying to come here having been the victim of my very metal smiths ghosts ripping my leg off and beating me with it. so ends the log Fikod Vessel-Martyred

well that went well.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 01:00:33 am by ZZmage »
DK advisor quote was the message thingy of DF with: "Uric Glodson does a wonderful impression of the baron, he can even do the nose. He has been sentenced to 40 hammerstrikes for his insolence."

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16359 on: September 20, 2011, 04:50:53 pm »

My first legendary sword dwarf casualty. Tosid Belllabored the Labyrinthine Fountain of Nadirs, 23 years old, had died today. He was known for his steel sword named Wanegrooved (masterfully created by Tulon). He earned a reputation killing goblins (60 counted), and was a well known enemy of The Jaundiced Evil.

He was not known for his mental capabilities, but almost everyone in the fort considered him a friend. His personality was always shy, but also always open to new and better ideas.

His final fight was alone, fighting 3 different ambushes at once while the rest of his squad was inside the fort. He killed several, but alas the sheer number of bolts while he was on the ground was undodgeable. I'm creating a silver sarcophagus for him.

EDIT: nevermind... I accidentally loaded DF a second time, and when I found I had both open, I had to force-quit one. I force-quit the wrong one. It's like savescumming, but accidental. damn.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 06:10:34 pm by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16360 on: September 20, 2011, 05:29:04 pm »

only one of my hammerdwarves actually reached hammerdwarf status by now, though this may merely be because two of them are wrestlers.

It helps to give your hammerdwarves hammers.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Clutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16361 on: September 20, 2011, 05:57:25 pm »

Final siege has finally broken Cloudytowers as it was over 50 goblins and a few trolls who rushed the cage traps so it just could capture all of them and I hadn't managed to build up a military yet. Should be interesting on the reclaim.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16362 on: September 20, 2011, 06:19:55 pm »

only one of my hammerdwarves actually reached hammerdwarf status by now, though this may merely be because two of them are wrestlers.

It helps to give your hammerdwarves hammers.
They have steel warhammers. 

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16363 on: September 20, 2011, 06:26:35 pm »

So I decided to give the sworddwarf that pushed back an entire goblin siege alone without any damage decent accomodations, well maybe more than that :p.
I gave him a full gold bedroom with 2 golden chests, golden statues, golden armor stand and weapon rack. Then a dining room of gold and a study made of gold too :p.

And someone wasn't pleased, oh no, the baroness started to get unhappier and unhappier until she threw a tantrum, and then she STRUCK!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Even my elite trained soldiers couldn't manage that >.>.

Notice how she did it with her left hand, her right hand would probably disintegrate the skull entirely :p.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16364 on: September 20, 2011, 06:28:08 pm »

Send her off to war?
Pages: 1 ... 1089 1090 [1091] 1092 1093 ... 3836