Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1273 1274 [1275] 1276 1277 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5861202 times)

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19110 on: February 15, 2012, 06:15:34 pm »

My dwarves have discovered the true terror of terrifying regions.  We know the dangers of Giant Mosquito hordes.  We know the dangers of unusual mists.  But there is something much, much worse.  (I'm sure you can see where this is going.)

On the left side of the map spawned the 138 strong swarm.  On the right side spawned a devilish gloom.  I could only sit and watch in horror as the two forces charged towards one another.  About half the swarm was converted.  Now, instead of just a horde of mosquitos that may try to eat my dwarves, I have been stricken with a half-sized swarm that actively seek out sources of life and beat the ever loving snot out of it.  The surface is covered in mosquito ichor, corpses, and assorted parts.  A number of devil thralled mosquitos haunt my halls.  This fort is doomed.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19111 on: February 15, 2012, 06:17:22 pm »

Started new fort in an evil biome. slaughtered a horse so I can Make leather armour, But every time I try to tan the Hide it comes to life and scares of my Tanner. Guess I'll have to speed up metal production.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19112 on: February 15, 2012, 06:20:44 pm »

Not having a problem with the living dead but Giant Mosquitoes.. Wow.. I mean I read about them here but still.  They dogpiled one dwarf and sucked him dry, I held a bunch more off with archers as we retreated into the fort. 

To think I loaded Fortress Defense II Mod into this, I don't think I'll even need that to finish me off.

Needless to say the fort is running well enough but my military is not strong enough to fight off the thirty or so Giant Mosquitoes that are all over the place outside.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19113 on: February 15, 2012, 06:32:39 pm »

I've finally done it! The perfect embark. It's apparently at the intersection of at least two different evil biomes because it rains acrid ooze that leads to severe blistering and suffocation, it has a mist cloud that rots off skin, and it has zombies. My dwarves will Speak the name of the Dread Swamp Silverydusk and tremble, look on my works and know that Armok is not a good god!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:09:31 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19114 on: February 15, 2012, 06:43:37 pm »

Ok,, I am now substantuially pissed off enough to ask if anyone has better necromancer detectionmethods besides cage traps and watch dogs.

I'm getting sick of having to send my pikemen to deal with the same 5 critters OVER AND OVER AND OVER because this dickweed wont just gtfo.

Sorry, it's just I figured he'd get bored and leave, not torment me and kill my dogs endlessly and delay construction.

I wish i had magma.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19115 on: February 15, 2012, 06:50:19 pm »

Don't we all?
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19116 on: February 15, 2012, 06:53:51 pm »

Now a trio of mosquitos dropped dead. And as my Pikemen are busy sparring, I know they sure as hell didn't do it.

I sense !!FUN!! in my future if garden-mancer is responsible.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19117 on: February 15, 2012, 07:00:08 pm »

It's been so long since I've seen a kobold I forgot they were immune to traps. Goodbye Iron Bolts [30], you will be sorely missed (not really).

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19118 on: February 15, 2012, 07:00:51 pm »

Dropped the past fort (saved it just in case) and genned a new world with a huge amount of titans, vampires, were-beasts, and fogs/rains.

Gonna give the undead another go, but now I know to get out of the rain fast and build a powerful underground fort.

And all with Fortress Defense.. Hell yea..

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19119 on: February 15, 2012, 07:04:39 pm »

Fogs/rains?

I just embarked with a Tower as a neighbor.  The first migrant I got has already killed an elf... too dwarfy.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19120 on: February 15, 2012, 07:05:03 pm »

Thankfully the Giant Mosquito zombies are more aggressive to my FPS than my dwarves - they continued meandering across one side of the map as the migrants scuttled into the fort airlock from another.  So the only casualty is dropping my FPS from 50 to 16.  Sigh.

Speaking of the migrants, I'm kind of afraid to open the airlock to cut down trees for beds, but I should.  I had to leave it open longer than I liked earlier as a fishery worker took a few steps away from where he appeared and then loafed around to catch some rays for like a damned week.

I'm kind of sad I have no interesting rains or mists here.  Stormcloud died in the like the first week due to mist shenanigans, but the only threat to this map so far has been zombies, even though it's Terrifying.  An interesting syndrome rain would be fun.  At least I do get some action, had reanimated yak bull hair in the refuse freaking out my dwarves for the longest time until I figured out how to get rid of it.  Spin Thread is your friend.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19121 on: February 15, 2012, 07:08:48 pm »

A group of undead peregrine falcon people are doing their best to try to kill a giant sponge that's hanging out in the river. They are not succeeding.

I sent our militia (it's not even fall yet, so it's just two rookies - an axedwarf armored in bronze who was a member of the starting seven and a hammerdwarf who had just immigrated, armored in copper) to deal with these guys because they were spamming up my combat log. They managed to take out all but one of the zombies from the peaceful side of the river, where the fort is, without any issues. The remaining one wouldn't cut it out, though, so I tried sending them across to the evil side of the river.

I didn't see it when sending them over, but apparently a reanimated giant mongoose was lurking around there. It managed to bite right through their armor and tore off their limbs, making them bleed to death almost immediately. The dwarves themselves didn't have any friends or family, so that's not an issue, but now we have no military whatsoever and all of their gear is lying in no-man's land.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19122 on: February 15, 2012, 07:18:46 pm »

Aaaaand its raining "horrid yellow slush" on me (looks like it gave everybody its contacted a slight fever, trying to get everything inside before something worse comes along). 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:21:06 pm by Mickey Blue »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19123 on: February 15, 2012, 07:22:07 pm »

Aaaaand its raining "horrid yellow slush" on me (looks like it gave everybody its contacted a slight fever, trying to get everything inside before something worse comes along). 
Don't eat the yellow snow!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19124 on: February 15, 2012, 07:25:17 pm »

I'm planning to redo the butcher shop in Silverydusk. I want a pit with a lever activated floor hatch that dangerous bits can be dumped into. My militia captain is traumatized after fighting animated horse skin, animated horse hair, and then fighting the animated horse face that he hacked off of the horse skin and then tried to haul to the pile.
Pages: 1 ... 1273 1274 [1275] 1276 1277 ... 3836