Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1276 1277 [1278] 1279 1280 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787825 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19155 on: February 15, 2012, 09:43:41 pm »

thanks. so all i need to do now is crush the damned thing into a singularity. also are they dwarf kills.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19156 on: February 15, 2012, 09:45:07 pm »

All my dwarves are falling off the stupid waterfall. I have a pile of around, oh 5+ corpses at the bottom.  I know you guys can't swim, so WHY NOT USE THE !@#$%^&*&^%$# BRIDGE.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19157 on: February 15, 2012, 09:45:25 pm »

thanks. so all i need to do now is crush the damned thing into a singularity. also are they dwarf kills.

Then that's probably your vamp. Atomsmasher ahoy! And so what if he's listed as missing. Wont bug anyone else.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19158 on: February 15, 2012, 09:48:09 pm »

i have like 12 dwarfs with insanely high killz. I wan't to know do they haft to be dwarfs, will a vamp not have kids or get married.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Dekana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19159 on: February 15, 2012, 09:49:41 pm »

My first DFVD embark! Seven dwarves, all female by coincidence, ventured into the most Terrifying lands and founded Conventfortress in 125. I must assume they're all nuns of Armok from that name. I embarked with an enormous supply of food and drink, 7 picks, an anvil, some plump helmet spawn, and enough oak logs to screw-pump through an aquifer. Immediately after arriving, the nuns spotted a zombie bird flying in the distance. They tunneled underground and took all their supplies with them - but not soon enough. The kestrel dive bombed at the nuns still on the surface, so I had to draft everyone into an impromptu militia, which promptly destroyed the menace with the mining picks. I then pastured the pack horses inside the tunnel, built some basic workshops, and sealed off the tunnel with a forbidden floor hatch.

The first year went well enough. Many, many more undead began to wander on the map very soon after I locked the tunnel hatch. I resolved to get myself through the aquifer, find some metal ore, train up a real military, and then have my nuns spread the word of Armok on the surface.

Then came the first complication. I had planned to butcher the horses and make bone crafts and leather of them, just in case a necromancer wandered inside. What I didn't know was that the horse parts would spontaneously reanimate in this biome. Thankfully only the horse's hair (?!) came back to life, and the nuns took it apart in one blow (and were now rather unhappy at being drafted into the military twice). I decided I didn't have time to dispose of the other horse parts as I intended, so I quickly dug out a pit, walled it off, and then tossed in the skin and bones from above. At least I got the horse meat out of it. Anyway, I didn't have any problem setting up the plump helmet farm, so food wasn't in short supply.

Next problem. I didn't have enough wood to get through the aquifer, and there were now a few giant zombie moose on the surface, along with more zombie birds (and that first kestrel). I knew I couldn't just wait them out before migrants started showing up and getting slaughtered, and I didn't have any real military or weapons. I ended up tunneling just under the surface to a corner of the map where there were no undead. I then sent the nuns up through the tunnel, forested just enough trees, and then walled off the tunnel. Then the migrants came and, by extraordinary luck, showed up right outside the new tunnel I was using. I unsealed it, let them inside, and then closed it off again.

I spent awhile getting through the aquifer (which turned out to have two levels, ugh). In the meantime, I saw a horde of 100+ zombie giant mosquitoes descend on the surface. The liason showed up a little after they left, but there were still plenty of other zombies around to tear him and his bodyguard apart. I didn't dare venture outside to save him. A slab in Conventfortress's dining room celebrates the liason's bravery (I assume the nuns knew who he was from his horrific, dying screams). Another group of migrants came and somehow evaded the zombie moose long enough to safely get inside the tunnel with the floor hatch.

Finally, I breached the aquifer and immediately found lots of chalk and copper. I'm now working my way down to the magma so I can start making some weapons and armor. I'm debating whether I should make a danger room with the remaining wood or if the nuns should train the real way.

Notably, this is the first time I've sealed myself off underground, and I've been playing since DF2010 came out. I usually build on the surface, but I didn't think that would be too smart with the rain, mists, and hordes of zombie owls. Man, there are a lot of flying zombies in this place. I still haven't seen any special rain or mist.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 09:54:38 pm by Dekana »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19160 on: February 15, 2012, 09:51:08 pm »

i have like 12 dwarfs with insanely high killz. I wan't to know do they haft to be dwarfs, will a vamp not have kids or get married.

If the majority kills are animals with few dwarves, they'll just be hunters.
They may also be a good soldier if they have assloads of different kills.

But when I say high, I mean 5k+ from what I've read.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19161 on: February 15, 2012, 09:56:40 pm »

how old was there world? also I've found two dwarfs who have killed 12 and 17 dwarfs and only dwarfs with no military skills. there from the same fort and came in the same wave. can you help

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19162 on: February 15, 2012, 10:00:48 pm »

A farmer went into a secretive mood and sulked. Since he had no moodable skills, I built a jewellers workshop, forge, bowyers workshop and finally a leatherworking shop which he commandeered. He made an artifact shoe and became a legendary tanner.

My first attempt at aquifer breaching using a plug went smoothly, except that I hadn't realised I needed a plan to deal with the water that teleported above the plug, so I need to set up a pump system to dry it out before I continue excavations. Meanwhile, though there are stone-bearing layers above the aquifer, I'd rather not dig too much of it out, so I'm actually running short of stone.

I'm getting lots of outside jobs interrupted by peregrine falcon men, mosquito men, and other flying beasties. Luckily the first winter migration brought several hunters, so I may finally be able to keep that annoyance within limits.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19163 on: February 15, 2012, 10:02:23 pm »

My terrifying biome embark is up to 90 population now, I really want a necromancer or goblin ambush or something to thin the herd, we are far too crowded at the moment.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19164 on: February 15, 2012, 10:02:48 pm »

A group of undead peregrine falcon people are doing their best to try to kill a giant sponge that's hanging out in the river. They are not succeeding.

All of the undead wildlife that was surrounding the giant sponge is now dead. It seems like it gets a push off once every dwarfmonth or so, and that's enough to make these zombies fall apart. It's already gained a title (probably for killing the aforementioned murderous giant mongoose): Beanblame. I have a feeling it's going to become a vital line of defense between us and the undead.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19165 on: February 15, 2012, 10:04:05 pm »

how old was there world? also I've found two dwarfs who have killed 12 and 17 dwarfs and only dwarfs with no military skills. there from the same fort and came in the same wave. can you help

Dont' remember on the world's age, but it seems by the 1st century alot of death will haveoccured. I mean seriously, I genned a world with tons of beasties for 50 years: Golden age.

Vamps are killing ALOT of things. Can do what one of the others said too

A single meeting area, no quarters. He'll go after dorfs in plain site, and then sent to the atomsmasher

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19166 on: February 15, 2012, 10:09:50 pm »

I've lost 20 dorfs to vamps. and they all die in bed, not in the meeting area, plz help

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19167 on: February 15, 2012, 10:13:34 pm »

God damn it. Another wave of animated peregrine falcon people corpses showed up, flew over our walls and massacred our two replacement soldiers and some other innocents. Down to nine dwarves and making coffins.

E: I am now facing the enormous swarm of giant mosquitos that I have seen only mentioned on this forum before. If Cobalthomage survives this, it will be a miracle.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:29:59 pm by trees »
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19168 on: February 15, 2012, 10:15:37 pm »

this guy's got 57 elf killz is he a vamp. if elf mean im working with a vamp then i need to smash another 10 something dorfz. WHY TOADY

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19169 on: February 15, 2012, 10:18:00 pm »

this guy's got 57 elf killz is he a vamp. if elf mean im working with a vamp then i need to smash another 10 something dorfz. WHY TOADY
ok, free up the beds, lock the rooms. Make a seperate dorm. If you feel like it also make it the barracks with a weapon rack or something.

The people training in there WILL see him try to drain a dorf who's asleep.
Pages: 1 ... 1276 1277 [1278] 1279 1280 ... 3835