Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1328 1329 [1330] 1331 1332 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5865213 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19935 on: February 25, 2012, 09:14:30 pm »

Half my map is on fire and the other half is submerged in lava up to 3 levels deep in the middle.  My magma cannon works!   Drained a 30x30x 20z reservoir of magma that took an in-game year to fill inside of 3 minutes real time.

Also, I got a +3 legendary blacksmith as a migrant.  Useful.

...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19936 on: February 25, 2012, 09:38:31 pm »

I just tested my lovely "sacrifice dorf to magma" chamber. Note to self: SUCCESS, sacrifice more vampires, they make such a satisfying puff of smoke when they get submerged. Hammerings don't always kill the blighters, though the last one died an extremely horrible and prolonged death due to 100 hammerstrikes (causing complete immobility due to an utterly shattered spine, skull, feet and hands) and an eager doctor with stagnant water. A few months later in his bed, he died from an infection, likely caused by the doctor cleaning his horrible wounds with the stagnant water. With the new fire tweaks, magma just goes way too fast to cause that much suffering. :P

you should get a medal
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Portalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19937 on: February 25, 2012, 09:40:26 pm »

>Merchants arrive
>10 seconds later, 'A VILE FORCE OF DARKNESS HAS ARRIVED'
>Merchant guards proceed to kick the goblins' collective asses

No.
Words.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19938 on: February 25, 2012, 09:48:34 pm »

Anvilring is doing quite well for itself.

Same fort I mentioned several pages ago.  Abundant limestone, iron ore, some tetrahedrite, warm forest biome with a brook, etc.  It's a .31.25 game.

Correction:  It was a spear, not a sword, that killed the dragon Angot Fireywarm the Silvers of Sizzling.

Since the last goblin siege, I added a squad of axedwarves and expanded on my existing 'corridor of trapdeath.'  ('Trapdeath...' Gotta name my next fortress that.)  The corridor at this point is a mix of cage traps and weapon traps.  The weapon traps are a mix of goblinite weapons from previous attacks and giant, serrated green glass blades.  One of my weapon traps has an artifact bone battle axe in it.

It's good that I did this, because I got a HUGE siege this most recent winter (year 130), led by the general of the goblin civilization!  (The general was killed by one of my traps, strangely enough.)  I think I'll make a memorial slab for this general... set it in a prominent place outdoors, surround it with a little stone walkway... then surround that with tons of weapon traps!

I don't think any of my dwarves were even wounded in the siege.

My rank 14 (or whatever) weaponsmith is still alive.  I'm tempted to eventually (attempt to) attack the circus with this fort.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19939 on: February 25, 2012, 09:50:08 pm »

Rejoice, for I have Flesh balls!
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19940 on: February 25, 2012, 09:50:42 pm »

The Bronze Grains at Rabbithut continue to fight back against ... everything

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hopefully that Giant Tick Chitin comes back (again) to help against that ash zombie ...

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19941 on: February 25, 2012, 09:53:55 pm »

Don't mind the vampires, easy enough to handle

going from 17 dwarves to 60 in a single migrant wave...  little excessive.  Cresting 120+ after the next is absolutely absurd.  Did someone change the rules for migrants when I wasn't looking?
Demon of Darkness

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19942 on: February 25, 2012, 09:55:55 pm »

I had migrants from my previous fort (which was abandoned due to loathsome ooze) trudge in and infect the entire fort with the ooze by contaminating the well.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19943 on: February 25, 2012, 09:59:15 pm »

I just got my first vampire. He drained one of my legendary miners(who also happened to be the only guy who knows anything about brewing >:( ). I used the nickname trick to figure which of my 20 dorfs was him(the remaining starting 7 were safe obviously), and it ironically turned out to be the fish dissector I had running my temproary metalworks I put up to churn out a couple iron items for the military. Convicted the SOB(though should have waited on the hammer he was producing for my hammerer), had him finish what he was doing, then had him go pull a lever in a room and locked the door behind him until I can get an execution chamber going. a 10z drop SHOULD do it right?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19944 on: February 25, 2012, 10:03:58 pm »

I just got my first vampire. He drained one of my legendary miners(who also happened to be the only guy who knows anything about brewing >:( ). I used the nickname trick to figure which of my 20 dorfs was him(the remaining starting 7 were safe obviously), and it ironically turned out to be the fish dissector I had running my temproary metalworks I put up to churn out a couple iron items for the military. Convicted the SOB(though should have waited on the hammer he was producing for my hammerer), had him finish what he was doing, then had him go pull a lever in a room and locked the door behind him until I can get an execution chamber going. a 10z drop SHOULD do it right?
A 10 z level drop is too merciful. Commit him to a life of recordkeeping in a sealed room.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19945 on: February 25, 2012, 10:16:59 pm »

too late, he's already been exploded into his component parts  :P. sEriously, I think I saw his arm fly up 3z levels
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19946 on: February 25, 2012, 10:51:36 pm »

Oh god a bunch of zombies just got into my fort and cornered most of my civvies in the dining hall.

It's like 28 days later but with WAY more blood, somehow.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19947 on: February 25, 2012, 11:13:13 pm »

So migrants showed up, and instantly 2 of their pets turned to ash zombies.
No cloud was nearby, and there is no visible ash on the ground there.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mystery or bug, dunno.

Oh well, they are migrants anyway.
Go get 'em Yak Skin

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19948 on: February 25, 2012, 11:47:36 pm »

We have finished our first year at this fort.  The outer wall is finished, and the ramps leading into the valley behind the wall have been removed.  All that is left is to hook up the bridge to a lever and floor/grate over the murky pool in front of it so wagons can get in and our basic defenses will be done.  Our fledgling metal industry has provided some cage traps for the entrance of the fort to foil those goblin rotters, and the silver byproducts from the galena smelting went to constructing some weapon traps with spiked balls to fortify the defenses.

The residential areas are all dug out.  Beds will be placed, and some will be assigned to the more notable craftsdwarves so they won't have far to walk to work.  The peasants can instead grab the first open bed they can find.  The first catacombs have been dug out.  I had the smith crank out a few extra copper picks, some of the more useless peasants will be drafted into the mines, since two miners (even at legendary now) isn't enough dorfpower to carve out these dwellings.  We need to find the lower two caverns, and perhaps the magma sea and breach them before the FBs start roaming by in big numbers.

The spring migration wave has arrived.  There's something like 45 dorfs jacking our numbers over 60.  People brought more kids, didn't they?  But a preliminary check looks promising, there are two highly skilled smiths in this wave which is very good news.  I will still have to check for signs of potential vampires though.  I haven't yet decided whether to weaponize them against my enemies or to kill them in a terribly gruesome fashion.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Portalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19949 on: February 25, 2012, 11:50:28 pm »

A possessed guy is taking up my forge and I don't have any anvil to make another one...

I think he's glitched, is there anyway to kill him?
Pages: 1 ... 1328 1329 [1330] 1331 1332 ... 3836