Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1330 1331 [1332] 1333 1334 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5864343 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19965 on: February 26, 2012, 03:36:05 am »

the problem was they were hanging around my wagon and I still hadn't gotten everything off it. Oh well
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19966 on: February 26, 2012, 03:54:03 am »

Like many others, I'm currently performing haphazard and semi-reckless vampire science.

While scrolling through levels I happened to pass one of the bedroom floors and a little flash caught my eye. I noticed one of my new miners was flashing yellow and a recently immigrated mechanic was standing over him. Curious, as this was my first vampire, I watches as the flashing slowly increased in speed and went from yellow to red, as it would if he was bleeding out... which he was. Finally I created a burrow in the room and assigned a random dorf to it to see if they'd catch the vamp. Sadly they arrived about 2 seconds after the miner died. The miner was immediately carried to the corpse pile. Next season when I got around to building coffins, people suddenly announced he was found drained of blood. After a full season of people walking by the stockpile.

The guilty vampire, having managed not to be seen, is now happily residing in my jail, burrowed, behind a locked door along with the miner that just arrived claiming to be 43 and a former resident of 15 forts. I feel bad about the mechanic though. He arrived on the map as a woodcrafter and had a mood before he even reached the fort.. made a nice little table. He didn't gain the experience from the mood though.

Now I'm curious to see if the vamps will A: stay in their burrow, B: break down the locked door or maybe even C: try to feed on each other if they get hungry enough. Personally I'm hoping they will try to feed on each other. If not.. then they can have migrants. 70% of my migrant waves seem to be kids and over half of the adults are fishers. I have managed to safely tap my volcano easily without all the building doors or floodgates I've seen people talking about.  This fort shall be fun.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19967 on: February 26, 2012, 04:09:10 am »

A woodcutter who likes to eat quarry bush leaves ate a roast composing of mussels and quarry bush leaves in a legendary dining room. This is no doubt the happiest moment of his life.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19968 on: February 26, 2012, 04:10:33 am »

Except for the allergic reaction to the mussels causing him to explode in diarrhoea?
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19969 on: February 26, 2012, 04:50:34 am »

....I just watched my militia commander be grabbed by the toe by a Giant grasshopper corpse...and bodily FLUNG at a wall 6 tiles away, which he hit and blew apart. Whats even more ridiculous is that the grasshopper grabbed him with its wing!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19970 on: February 26, 2012, 04:53:46 am »

....I just watched my militia commander be grabbed by the toe by a Giant grasshopper corpse...and bodily FLUNG at a wall 6 tiles away, which he hit and blew apart. Whats even more ridiculous is that the grasshopper grabbed him with its wing!
How the f-....

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19971 on: February 26, 2012, 05:22:10 am »

Just had an announcement of a Maceman entering a martial trance 30 Z-Levels below ground. I don't have anybody down there :o

I had something like that happen to me once. Nobody could tell me what it was about. My guess is that there's an adventurer lost in the caverns. :P

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19972 on: February 26, 2012, 05:54:12 am »

Processed the migration wave. 

Best dwarf in the group, a Great Weapon/Armor/Metalsmith.  She's going to be spending the rest of her life down in the foundry.  Some minor combat levels, but she's not getting wasted on the army.  She arrived with her husband, who is getting drafted, since he also has some minor combat skills, and is otherwise just a Glazer, and their four youngest children.  The other children are adults and the oldest ones have some families of their own.  Some of them are warriors.  Three of them are dead, and the two oldest kids that arrived got in a scuffle with a cave dragon a few years back and survived.  It might be interesting to see if this family becomes one of the major pillars of my fort's community.

Few other notables, mostly farmers, rangers, and fishers.  There was a young niece of one of my immigrants who is a doctor, and there was a pretty good trader, who will replace the expedition leader as broker.  The dwarves who had some basic combat skills but no useful civilian skills will form the nucleus of our military force.  Three fishers were pressed into service as miners, and the rest were assigned jobs as needed through the fort.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19973 on: February 26, 2012, 06:01:41 am »

I found out the king of my dwarven civ is a demon, and the humans sent a forgotten beast god diplomat. It was a huge crawling eye, and I should beware it's spittle.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #19974 on: February 26, 2012, 06:03:03 am »

Off topic : Orius how taht program is called?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19975 on: February 26, 2012, 06:56:07 am »

Just had an announcement of a Maceman entering a martial trance 30 Z-Levels below ground. I don't have anybody down there :o

I had something like that happen to me once. Nobody could tell me what it was about. My guess is that there's an adventurer lost in the caverns. :P

Feral dorfs I tells ya!

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19976 on: February 26, 2012, 07:53:28 am »

Continuation: RabbitHut the Grass Devourer

01) Land Layout
02) Land Enemies
03) 2nd migrant wave mystery
04) 2nd migrant wave resolved

The migrant wave became more ash-zombified, one dwarf and 75% of the pets.
Either that turkey poult is coated with ash, or they ran terrified into the corner with ash pile.
Or both
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I may not let them in. My bunnyz nirvana will not be interrupted.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19977 on: February 26, 2012, 07:56:42 am »

Off topic : Orius how taht program is called?

Legends viewer.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19978 on: February 26, 2012, 08:08:09 am »

Fifth fb/titan arrived. This one set fire to one of my starting seven before getting a headshot while it was in melee with a marksdwarf who had depleted his quiver.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19979 on: February 26, 2012, 08:13:47 am »

I decided to have some guys engrave the sheriff's room. Among the engravings are a giant killing a human and a roc killing an elf. This is great.

EDIT: Farmer got possessed and grabbed shale, reindeer calf antlers and some logs and made a toy boat.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:45:15 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 1330 1331 [1332] 1333 1334 ... 3836