Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1331 1332 [1333] 1334 1335 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5864362 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19980 on: February 26, 2012, 09:45:44 am »

Toy boats are real boats, it's just that boats don't actually work yet* so dwarves just see them all as toys.  It's actually as big as a Roc and absolutely awesome.

My own guys seem dead set on making artifact armor out of useless materials.  So far a yak bone helmet and a mule bone gauntlet with a picture of one of my furnace operators getting shot by a magma crab "with a basalt.". 

No wonder they are making all that crap out of bone, they are afraid to go back down to the forges.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19981 on: February 26, 2012, 10:01:44 am »

Continuation: RabbitHut the Grass-Devourer

01) Land Layout
02) Land Enemies
03) 2nd migrant wave mystery
04) 2nd migrant wave resolved
05) Code Yellow

or Code Red, hell even Code Lyoko we're hella lucky to be alive and stable right now.

So I opened the door.
Why?
I want to wall-off the SpongeVSHarpy thats blocking my main entrance.
And to pasture animals.
Also, I make a burrow to place quarantined (boot-covered-ash) dwarves outside for now.

Then ... utter chaos ...

Dwaves that go outside see the harpy fight and flee into the wilderness!
Dwarves scatter to the hills and somehow the ash-cursed ones get near my fort.

Then, without warning, an ash cloud spawns right on my doorstep.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is bad. All my dwarves are west, cornered at a river.
The ash spawned at my fort and is now sweeping west.

Quickly I burrow and meeting-hall in NW corner of my map.
Get outta there dwarves !!!

Oddly, a Dwarf husk is at war with an alpaca husk. Hmm.
But most made it to NW corner seclusion, only 2 were husked.

Alright, on my signal, everybody make a break back to the fort. Don't look back.

Wait, that stupid yak skin is only thing in our way.
Militia, time to jump into action.

Axes easily slaughter the yak skin.
Thank god it didn't have ash on it.

Immediately, a second ash cloud forms in the west.
It made a U-Turn and is coming back for another carpet bomb...
GO!! Everyone back in now !!

And so we now stand.

2nd migrant wave: 6 dwarves
New Dwarf husks: 4 dwarves plus 2 alpaca + puppy + turkey poult
Stranded dwarves outside: 2 dwarves (one is a starting miner taking a break between corpses...)

So net population change: 0

No rabbits were harmed or husked.
RabbitHut continues to shine  :D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 10:08:12 am by ZzarkLinux »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19982 on: February 26, 2012, 10:05:58 am »

Summer has come, Spring is past. Drawn by my absurdly large population of children, six snatchers now sit in my cage depot, waiting to be cut down by my 11 year old militia commander in a hilarious reversal. In regards to her, she is also now a legendary miner, and has used one of Othlestinod's newly forged steel swords to cut down a pair of filthy elves, taking joy from their rightful deaths. After which she admired her finely crafted sword.

I have a feeling that I have a legendary badass on my hands. :3

Oh, and my clothier is churning out hundreds of pairs of rope reed fiber trousers with our loot, because apparently the mountainhomes are in the midst of a pants shortage, and will pay top dollar.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 10:07:32 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19983 on: February 26, 2012, 12:01:02 pm »

Sixth (or so) FB of this fortress. A towering quadruped made of vomit. Yawn and yuck.

Also, jet propulsion. The stupid thing farts its extracts causing both of them to rise a z-level and then thud down back on to the ground. It's not effective with just one z-level up but it keeps my mcom perpetually stunned. Maybe I should bring in the melee militia to stomp the bitch a bit more effectively.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:04:49 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19984 on: February 26, 2012, 12:04:29 pm »

I finally got a chance to try out the new version.
Sent seven dwarves to an evil swamp without any weapons or picks. I let them take some stone to build a perimeter wall and some metal to build some tools.
Testing out a new computer build, I am trying out a 16x16 embark zone, it is excessively large.
There is a stream the goes from the top of the map to bottom, with a 2z waterfall. Also lots of murky pools, I'm glad I don't have to built escape ramps anymore.

The dwarves had a breeding pair of water buffalo pulling their wagon. I used the wiki recommended pasture sizes, but I noticed the buffalo got hungry, so I sent them to the butchers. This swamp doesn't seem to be a reanimating swamp.
A profane soot does like to hang out in the area, which is annoying because the game keeps pausing and centering on the cloud. Also the combat reports concerning soot thrills and carp are continuous.

My first migrant wave consisted of a ranger, his spinner wife, and their child. Nothing terribly exciting, but when I was talking to them, I asked about their gods and they went on about how their deities of choice cursed somebody or received worship from somebody else.
They also had Rinal Telingatul Ushdishtathtak in their relationship screens. It wouldn't let me view it and it is listed as an object of worship. Are dwarves worshiping idols now?
I just took a look at my dwarves deities. None of them had objects of worship. Some deities had records of their worshipers, some didn't. One of my dwarves worshiped a dwarven goddess of trees, while another worshiped Limul the thripman.

Discovered the 'R'oom command. Nice quick way of telling me where the upright is. Should also be useful for micromanaging the fort.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #19985 on: February 26, 2012, 12:09:42 pm »

I'm currently trying to nab trees in between a rain of heinous filth and waves of animated corpses.  The rain causes bruising, followed by blistering of the effected limbs.  Shortly afterwards, death by suffocation occurs.

Oh, and it rains a freakin' shitload.  I'm not going outside very much on this fortress.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19986 on: February 26, 2012, 12:17:51 pm »

Sixth (or so) FB of this fortress. A towering quadruped made of vomit. Yawn and yuck.

Also, jet propulsion. The stupid thing farts its extracts causing both of them to rise a z-level and then thud down back on to the ground. It's not effective with just one z-level up but it keeps my mcom perpetually stunned. Maybe I should bring in the melee militia to stomp the bitch a bit more effectively.

A bit less yawn than anticipated. The stupid thing kept launching itself and the mcom and later also another marksdwarf and a war dog up in the air to crash down. The frequent thudding eventually tilted the pair over a ledge turning a 1-z drop in a 2-z one with markedly more wounds. The final burst of extract of the FB Rushan Skullashes the Abyssal Murk pushed itself, the war dog and the mcom 4 (!) levels up and when they slammed the FB was dead and the dog and dwarf alive. Heavily battered and probably wishing they were dead, but alive. The Mcom got the kill.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19987 on: February 26, 2012, 12:25:50 pm »

A Minotaur Child came to my arctic toymaking fort. It proceeded to intercept the elven caravan (which was already leaving) and kill them all with a rope reed fiber cape that it grabbed. The cape is green with emerald dye and presumably red with elf blood. Since I have no defenses at the moment, I walled off the front entrance before it smashed the door and all surface buildings.

Time for military training!

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #19988 on: February 26, 2012, 01:20:10 pm »

Shiiit. I ignored the mood of one of my axedwarves and now he is berserking in the entrance hall (biggest meeting zone) with an adamantine axe. Fortunately, his long-time sparring partner happened to come across the scene and now they are dueling to death in the middle of the hall, armored in leather and armed with adamantine. There can be only one.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19989 on: February 26, 2012, 01:25:45 pm »

Badass and rather sad.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #19990 on: February 26, 2012, 01:56:21 pm »

Oh snap, that oughta be entertaining. Do let us know who wins. :P

Also, just expanded my "kill your face with magma" chamber, so now it's actually possible to use it. It started its service with a double vampire kill.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19991 on: February 26, 2012, 01:56:48 pm »

One of Silvertrumpet's militia commanders just cut a Yak in half with his steel short sword.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19992 on: February 26, 2012, 02:03:00 pm »

Olon Cityspoken, the South Wave, youngest daughter of a the Thinpaddles-Glazemoistened family, militia commander and sole defender of Othlestinod, has once again proved her worth. Even with hardly a month worth of experience with a sword, she handles it like an old veteran. Today, as the children played in the courtyard and the masons continued work on the gatehouse, a goblin took advantage to the new connection between the gatehouse and the cliff to slip down the stairs and into the fortress, grabbing a child from the prickleberry fields. At the time, Olon was helping some of the haulers move more marble blocks to the working stockpile. Without missing a beat, she fell on the scum and cut him down. Her next birthday is still several months away. The miners have shifted their efforts to digging as deeply and rapidly as possible, in the hopes of providing Othlestinod's champion with a suitable gift in the form of a masterfully forged adamantine blade.

She is still 11.

((Long story short, my off-duty child militia commander with almost no training jumped on a snatcher and ripped him apart without taking a single wound.))

Heh. I think I'm going to start taking notes and turn this into a proper story writeup if she keeps being awesome.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19993 on: February 26, 2012, 02:19:12 pm »

A soot thrall raven is biting the head of one of my dwarves.
The military rushed out, but couldn't reach above the unconscious dwarf's head to swat the raven away, so they just stood and watched.
Ravens, ravenmen, thripmen, giant Mosquitos, mosquitowomen, why does everything fly. Quick make some crossbows.

Ahhh, more profane soot. It's got a dwarf, everybody inside.
There is already three soot thralls inside, chasing the livestock out into the soot cloud!
Everybody join a military squad and fight for your lives.

Your fortress has crumbled, the profane soot wins.
I didn't even survive to the first caravan.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #19994 on: February 26, 2012, 02:24:25 pm »

The sane axedwarf defeated his insane friend without taking a hit, mutilated his pancreas and cut him in half. It would've been more emotional if five groups of ambushing kobolds hadn't arrived to cripple most of my other military with arrows. Casualties aren't bad but not having proper armor counters the perfect weaponry annoyingly well with ranged weapons. The surface is littered with equipment and bodies of failed migrants and this is the first time I let the civilians gather treats... serves me right.

In other news, I grew tired of my vampire mayor's antics and locked her in her quarters with the liaison, in case she longs for a snack.

edit: Da fuq why is there a crocodile in my graveyard muching on a farmer?
Pages: 1 ... 1331 1332 [1333] 1334 1335 ... 3836