Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1347 1348 [1349] 1350 1351 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5846301 times)

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20220 on: March 01, 2012, 10:51:59 pm »

ALRIGHT.

This time my RabbitHut will succeed !!!!

- No more military tantrum spirals due to (possibly buggy) "relieved of duty" spam.
- No more dwarves wandering outside attracting attention
- No more ash-husk-apocalypse
- No more camping Sponges (I hate campers)

The name
RabbitHut the Holy House

The land
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The layout
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The current problems
Overcrowded animals killed a buck and a doe (but I had brought 5  :D ) and thankfully I was able to get the dead and the pack animals moved outside.

The history
01) Land Layout
02) Land Enemies
03) 2nd migrant wave mystery
04) 2nd migrant wave resolved
05) Code Yellow
06) Dwarves Save Dwarves
07) The Sponge has Spoken

This is RabbitHut !

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #20221 on: March 02, 2012, 12:22:58 am »

anyone have a good idea on how to give this guy a really humiliating grave?
Wall him in . . . with some food. Food generates vermin, and with no cats there, he's going to be crawling with lizards and large roaches forever. Bonus points for making the coffin out of something edible (more edible than wood, at least).
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20222 on: March 02, 2012, 12:37:32 am »

Fathdakost fell to a combination of flooding drowning half the population and a loyalty cascade caused by accident.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20223 on: March 02, 2012, 01:27:51 am »

As an aside, what shall I do with a Goblin Master Thief? I don't think i'm likely to get many more, so I'd like to put him somewhere... special. Even if it's just a very deep dungeon.

I made the last master thief duel with my militia commander.  He was looking for some entertainment.

Why can't children/unskilled dwarves default to weapon or armorsmith moods? Why?!

Bloody rock mugs.

It's from the arts and crafts stuff they do in whatever the dorf equivalent of kindergarden is.  They haven't moved up to shop class yet, so no weapons or armor for you.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20224 on: March 02, 2012, 01:56:42 am »

Sazirnil, Bridgehammer, does not have bridges (well, one, but it's only an entrance one) and only one hammer (I have KNIFEDWARVES!!) and it's depressingly quiet.

I have goblin and kobold (YAY) neighbours but they only invade as thieves and the guard kitten spots them and scares them off.

I've breached the caverns at several levels BELOW zero elevation, and aside from some ratmen, and the ex-militia's baby getting a few extra holes, nothing much has happened.

I'm hoping for a siege or something, but the only things of note was the resident wild weasel finally, after three years, wandering into the only exposed weapon trap.  I'll miss you, little W...  No!  It's still out there, the only permanent wild animal on the frozen map...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20225 on: March 02, 2012, 04:11:15 am »

The dorf caravan arrived, and the goblins decided to throw Christmas early with my extra guests.  Unfortunately, we were still in the middle of building the outer wall, and there are gaps in it.  And the drawbridge hasn't been linked up yet.  But there were several cage traps placed in the entrance and the crossbowman leading the invasion decided to halt just outside the gates, perhaps fearing what else we had in store for them.  One marksdwarf was lost, the dwarf was stabbed in the foot by a kobold thief a few days earlier and was overwhelmed by the goblins while struggling to limp back to the fort.  Unfortunately, the dwarf dodged into a murky pool which then froze over as winter came, so we won't be able to retrieve the body for a while.  Time to order up a slab.

I opened the inner gate to lure the gobbos in and it worked.  The leader's mount got snapped up by another cage along with two more of the lashers, and the goblins got to enjoy the spiked silver balls just past the cages.  One goblin got hit in the guts, passed out on the trap and kept getting mauled by it until the trap caved in the goblin's skull.  I closed the main gate again, let the goblins creep down the hall and then when they were under the gate, I lowered it again, crushing the leader and some of his buddies.

Then I let my militia and the caravan guards swarm out and mop up the rest who decided Christmas was not coming this year.  My speardwarf personally took down 4 goblins, tearing brains asunder with an ≡iron spear≡.   One of the hammerdwarves smashed in the skull of a fifth goblin.  Injuries were light, ust some broken bones, and the speardwarf took no injuries at all.  Next step will be to clean the corpses out of the corridor so they don't stink things up, and to finish off the wall, or at least make sure nothing can get in.

My glassmaker got moody.  Unfortunately, he wants raw green glass, and he's the only glassmaker in the fort.  I'll have to get some disposable dorf to crank some out for him.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20226 on: March 02, 2012, 04:22:31 am »

I just watched a giant thrips pass out over my volcano.

‼Hilarity‼ ensued, briefly.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20227 on: March 02, 2012, 04:51:48 am »

Gorge Crypt

My undead post above was a new fort in DF'12 , Gorgecrypt is running previous version.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #20228 on: March 02, 2012, 05:31:07 am »

I have a 124 year old marksdwarf in my fort. So what? So his parents have just arrived.

Migrants seem a bit strange in this world, a pocket world with a 550 year history. About half seem to not be historical, having various skills but no relations (although one had a named crocodile listed as a kill), but the others are all no skill peasants who have pages of relations each and are all related to several others in the fort. Most of the latter group are 100+ years old and none have brought any children. The eldest migrant claims to be 163 but she might be even older (obvious vampire).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20229 on: March 02, 2012, 05:36:21 am »

The eldest migrant claims to be 163 but she might be even older (obvious vampire).

I think dwarves unmodded can live to 170, so don't count them out yet. Unless they're decked out in huge amounts of sentient part bling.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20230 on: March 02, 2012, 05:39:06 am »

The eldest migrant claims to be 163 but she might be even older (obvious vampire).

I think dwarves unmodded can live to 170, so don't count them out yet. Unless they're decked out in huge amounts of sentient part bling.

I think dwarven max_age was between 140 and 160? I will check...

Nah, it's indeed 150 (minimum max age) to 170 (absolute max age). She thus has the maximum of 7 more years to live, unless she is really a vampire.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #20231 on: March 02, 2012, 05:42:29 am »

Oh no, she's definitely a vamp: huge list of former groups, complaining that she hasn't had alcohol even though I have plenty, DT showing her real name...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20232 on: March 02, 2012, 05:54:20 am »

Just before in Rockgrizzle, a poor baby was pecked to death by a raven whilst its mother did nothing to defend it. :(
I ordered the military out after the damned thing, (which was now known as Osodsosh) but realized I had nowhere near enough quivers for my marksdwarves, which explained why none of them had ammunition, and also why no hunting had been going on lately...
Naturally a long, daft chase around the map ensued, with the melee-equipped dwarves slaughtering pretty much the entire flock of ravens apart from Osodsosh, who was much faster than the others.
I was just ordering my non-military dwarves to make some quivers, when a pet dog named Dishmab Vukrigasmel lunged fowards and crushed the raven's head in her jaws. :D Good doggy!
Now, time to dump the kid in a coffin and get back to the gruelling task of trying to keep this terrible, boring fort alive. If any goblins bother to raid this miserable little place, we're doomed. Heck, even some kobolds could probably wipe us out!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20233 on: March 02, 2012, 08:57:57 am »

I got an atheist dwarf. Seriously, he doesn't worship any of the civ's deities. It's weird.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20234 on: March 02, 2012, 09:16:45 am »

Second mood of my new fortress is a secretive weaponsmith. As if that wasn't good enough, he made this:

Heartstone has a solid density of 50500.  :D

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1347 1348 [1349] 1350 1351 ... 3836