Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1351 1352 [1353] 1354 1355 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5858663 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20280 on: March 03, 2012, 10:54:54 pm »

Started a new fort in a haunted area.
Marked my wagon for disassembling and designed stairs and mining area so my miner would start the first underground room.

A minute after "it is raining repellent goo"
Oh that's a new one for me, usually it's raining mucus or blood, but first time i get that.
I was monitoring the miner efforts up to now, so i decided to give a look to my dwarves on the surface and noticed they were "flashing" strangely.
Looked at the thought of one of them

Wow ! immediately paused, created a burrow in the half room underground and set a military alert to get the dwarves into that burrow.

Checked all my dwarves , and they're all having the same problems.
Only the miner is ok, due to him having been worked underground.

And we're only a minute or two inside this new embark !
Will be hard to get everyone to stay alive then. And getting those slow migrants to be able to move into this hell on Earth without getting stuck into this horrible rain will not be that simple.

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20281 on: March 03, 2012, 11:02:14 pm »

Now I'm getting utterly useless migrants. They all have 4-5 random Competent+ social skills, then one useless Expert+ skill, like a Great Shearer or Master Spinner.
Scrap that, Master Weaponsmith, Armorsmith and Metalcrafter just turned up. Jackpot.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20282 on: March 03, 2012, 11:47:59 pm »

Going for a fortress with a little more headroom.  After a map got converted with DF2MC back when it worked steve was always scraping his head on the ceilings of the tunnels, so now that DF2MC doesn't work I have some strange urge to correct that.  So all hallways meant to be traversed more than once throughout the entire life of the fortress are 2 z levels tall.  I'm also making the hallways wider than usual, going for 5 tiles wide instead of 3.

So far I nearly flooded everything 3 times, screwed up one downward ramp between fortress levels, and accidentally dug the floor out from underneath one workshop.  Interesting how such a subtle change in fortress design gets me back to making simple mistakes I haven't made in years...  It's only a matter of time before I dig into the waterfall system plumbing and wash away everything because I can't reasonably seal the 5x2 hallways in an emergency.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20283 on: March 04, 2012, 01:07:47 am »

Of all things... Fuckin' Giant Keas. At least you expect most things to be lethal, but I just had 3 of my starting 7 straight up murdered by a swarm of them, in exchange for 2 kills. Then one of my legendary miners berserked, killed 2 others, and then was killed by my crippled doctor. The doctor, the last survivor, is now slowly hauling the bodies to their tombs, pulling himself along the empty halls, dragging his stumps behind him. He hopes he will finish before he breathes his last.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20284 on: March 04, 2012, 01:22:04 am »

One of my most recent migrants is going to be the new liaison to the elven merchants and diplomats.

Barely 22 years of age, and a weak, flimsy slip of a dorfette, but she has 602 kills under her belt...........

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20285 on: March 04, 2012, 01:24:20 am »

Of all things... Fuckin' Giant Keas.
Yeah, giant birds are pretty hardcore. One of my Terrifying embarks was TPK'd in something like 15 mins by a single giant sparrow corpse. Giant flying insects are even worse though, even after the Mosquito Terror was nerfed.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20286 on: March 04, 2012, 01:33:49 am »

Lost: RabbitHut the Grass-Devourer
07) The Sponge has Spoken

Current: RabbitHut the Holy House
01) Start

02) Dwarf Down, Population Up

Ok, 7 dwarves, military has nice bedrooms. So far so good.

Migrants arrive, a husand and wife. Nice.
They can help the aquifer drilling operation
As-soon-as that rabbit corpse by the door stops interfering  :(
Military is happy, sooooo guard duty !

Rabbit down, migrants inside, let's chop some wood while we're here.
Undead comes too close, so orders are given for everyone to go back inside.

But when I cancel the STATION SQUAD order, one military man gets scared and runs south.
He's running from a corpse, even though he has an axe ...  >:(

And he runs into ravens...

Well, military ppl are unhappy or very unhappy, they'll manage.
I'm more concerned about the bronze axe (and embark points on training) that were left outside...

So I keep watch, assign a 3rd guy to military to replace Kivish McChickinist
When the coast is clear we open the doors. ONE ARMFUL THEN BACK INSIDE

Worked good. We got some lumber and our Bronze Axe back inside...
Drilling, Training, Farming
Oh sweet, totem time.

And we are lucky the aquifer is only one layer.
We can see silver !!
Silver war-hammers ahoy.

This RabbitHut may start shining after all...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:39:11 am by ZzarkLinux »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20287 on: March 04, 2012, 01:34:47 am »

Just had a possession that apparently required silk cloth.  Other types of cloth didn't seem to work.  Naturally the only silk is down in the caverns I have sealed off due to the forgotten beasts.

So... I either lost a legendary miner who's been with me since near the beginning or I man up and get that silk.  I open the caverns, station the marksmen down there, grab some silk and make it back up in time before any of the flying FBs notice I'm even there.

Then another FB flies out somehow without me noticing and makes it to the possessed victim, who defends herself with her pick (she's legendary remember) until the militia kill it.

And I even manage to save her before she goes nuts and get a decent throne out of it.

I expected half of the fort to die gloriously trying to fix her mood.  But not even a single injury. :)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

prim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20288 on: March 04, 2012, 02:42:47 am »

Is it just me or has the difficulty been upped since .31?

Start an aboveground fort, everything seems to be going well. But in first summer (before caravan) a goddamn megabeast appears. I'm around 11 dwarves strong.

"Zom Slostestngerxung has appeared. A large chinchilla twisted into humanoid form. It is crazed for blood and flesh. Its eyes glow golden yellow. Its raw umber hair is very curly. Now you will know why you fear the night. It is very muscular." :(

Send my fully untrained unequipped 4 man army in, and the thing kills one, then runs away. Phew i'm lucky I think, but after a while the ghost starts haunting the place (still building other crap, dont have time for coffins), and alas the megabeast was some werechinchilla type which causes my ghost to transform into a werechinchilla at nights. Luckily no other sideeffects, but I'm obviously worried about who else could be infected.

Anyway eventually lay the guy to rest and set up some marksdwarves. Since it's my first time, they wouldnt train and were even more useless than the sworddwarves i usually attempt to train (which wont train either). Anyway its now summer year 2, and a zombie apocalypse comes. A full 40 zombie/skeleton/necromancer siege, whereas I only got about 30 dwarves (untrained, unequipped). Luckily my fort was just finished so I raised the dwarbridge and abandoned all outside (only 1 dorf).

Soon after the werechinchilla megabeast appears again, this time I'm quite happy to see it, as it starts fighting the undead. Unfortionately it runs away after engaging a couple of them. Unfortionately, the undead are now transforming into werechinchillas too!

So I spent the next couple of hours reading online how to get marksmen to work and alas i was missing backpacks (and quivers). Eventually after about 100 fired bolts, one of the corpses got killed (is that even possible?). By this stage it is now end of year 3, and my dwarves are starting to die of thirst by being permanently scared of the undead horde outside. I figure this is as good a sign it's just not meant to be, so i open the drawbridge and get my marksmen ready.

They managed to take out about 15 of them before being devoured. I assume that all my dwarves will join their legion for the next fort :(

Bonus: started 2nd fort and had a ghost from first dwarf haunting me the whole time (can't seem to make it go away even with a slab). In winter 1st year, the undead horde (only 4 this time) comes and wipes me out. What gives? Sieges and megabeasts so early?!

2nd Bonus: 3rd fort started, the same ghost is here again :(
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:48:40 am by prim »
I'm wondering what the hell the neighboring necromancer was thinking when he named his stupid slab "Droolsluts the Anuses of Piss".

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20289 on: March 04, 2012, 04:00:08 am »

You will not be able to get rid of that ghost until it dies of old age. You need to either build a coffing or engrave a slab to the dead dwarf, to put the ghost to rest. You cannot do that anymore after abandon /reclaim.
Better find another spot for your fort
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20290 on: March 04, 2012, 07:52:34 am »

What is going on in your fortress?

Everybody's dead, Dave, that's what.  (Well, almost).

I got seiged by goblins, and hadn't got a proper military or trap defence set up, so I called everyone inside and locked the doors. 

Then discovered I had almost no drink left (I later realised that for some reason, my rock crafters hadn't been making pots, so there was nothing to put the booze in), and most of may dwarves were thirsty at best or dehydrated at worst.

So I quickly started setting up an internal well and connecting it to an aquifer, but almost the entire fortress ended up dying of dehydration (population fell from 80+ to 15), with three dwarves then going mad.

I would probably have been petter off just drafting everyone and zerging the goblins.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20291 on: March 04, 2012, 08:40:38 am »

Heh, right now a dwarf necromancer tried to get into my fort...only to be stopped by the 6 or so wardogs I had pastured at the entrance. Right now I'm imagining the Benny Hill theme song playing as they chase him all over the map.

Quick question: How tough ARE necros in a fight? I'm thinking about quickly drafting one of my legendary miners and sending him to end this little chase scene, since the dogs aren't causing enough damage right now
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20292 on: March 04, 2012, 09:16:21 am »

Heh, right now a dwarf necromancer tried to get into my fort...only to be stopped by the 6 or so wardogs I had pastured at the entrance. Right now I'm imagining the Benny Hill theme song playing as they chase him all over the map.

Quick question: How tough ARE necros in a fight? I'm thinking about quickly drafting one of my legendary miners and sending him to end this little chase scene, since the dogs aren't causing enough damage right now
Necromancers don't receive a stat boost by sheer token of being necromancers, killing a dwaf necro should be as easy as killing a dwarf.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20293 on: March 04, 2012, 09:18:47 am »

well, moot point anyways since the dogs chased him off the map. Heh, though a different necro decided to stop by and say hi...right as the caravan was leaving. He had not only dogs but a couple spearmen chasing him!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20294 on: March 04, 2012, 09:40:01 am »

So I just set up my first danger room.

...within ten seconds my dwarf is already a skilled axedorf.

What.
The.
Hell.

EDIT: Annnnd legendary +5. I can now say that danger rooms are overpowered, holy crap.
Now I feel cheaty for rigging up a danger room, which I haven't done in most my recent fortresses. Oh well, rather insatiable murder machines than losing decent Dorfs to gallivanting goblins.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.
Pages: 1 ... 1351 1352 [1353] 1354 1355 ... 3836