Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1353 1354 [1355] 1356 1357 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5840461 times)

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20310 on: March 04, 2012, 11:28:27 pm »

After 4 attempts my fort, Ibeshavuz, has finally grown into a grand metropolis , nicknamed "Roastedmine" for some reason.

My economy is solely based on the massive amounts of goods goblins drop as they suicidally charge into my trap hall which are sold to caravans to buy wood to build bins to store more of the troll fur socks the goblins seem to loose as their feet are sliced off in the hallway of iron serrated discs... well if they make it past the golden statues which means the made it past the hallway of menacing wooden spikes... Well usually only one or two make it to the discs depending on how many bodies have gummed up the spikes.

I'm currently building a room to target practice capture goblins as the other torture rooms have outgrown their usefulness. I wish I  could do something useful with all these goblin corpses though.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20311 on: March 05, 2012, 12:59:06 am »

Winter.  The fort goes through a baby boom in the month of Opal with 8 births (like I don't have enough kids sucking up the booze), with 5 kids born on the same freaking day (4 almost simultaneously; massive Soundsense spam there)!  Some of the oldest kids grew up, but I'm still going to have all these brats underfoot in the dining hall.

Then the goblin mount another seige.  This time they're starting to get serious, 3 or 4 units of goblins, all mounted, and a unit of trolls.  However, my outer defenses are enough to keep them at bay now, they can't get through my walls.  And even better, I have a level of fortifications where I can station my marksdwarves:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Course some of those marksdwarves haven't bothered picking up bolts...or quivers.

Spring has arrived too, and this map is somewhat warm.  It may be amusing to see the seigers fall into the pools out there when they thaw and drown.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20312 on: March 05, 2012, 01:22:28 am »

No vampires. Hundred and sixty odd dorfs. The only one who doesn't take a name when given a nickname in his personality screen has been seen sleeping and has taken time off to drink.

I guess I'm glad?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20313 on: March 05, 2012, 02:31:07 am »

Bom Anil, the Home of Glory has being going on longer than I intended. Originally I'd planned it as a small contract job paid for by the town of Flutelanced, in gratitude for all the adventuring services of my adventurer. The original schedule was roughly 3 years. But the manor has kept growing and growing into more like an adventurer's academy, and after breaching the caverns to create a small underground staging point for exploring...it's going on 6 years now.

I turned invaders off because I wasn't really doing this for FUN!, so things have been very quiet. I capped the fortress population very early so no necromancers or vampires or silly stuff, and after the first few mandatory waves I have about 23 workers and 10 children. The only real disturbance is the occasional flock of Ravens or dingos. One of the Ravens actually pecked a war dog's face in, so I'm hoping that shows up in the art somewhere.

Anyways, some pretty pics through Stone Sense. Hopefully it will mostly have been worth the effort once I abandon it, as I built to it house all the adventurers and loot for this world.

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

prim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20314 on: March 05, 2012, 02:46:00 am »

Dwarf cancels dump item. Interrupted by giant cockatiel. Sounds dangerous to me.
I'm wondering what the hell the neighboring necromancer was thinking when he named his stupid slab "Droolsluts the Anuses of Piss".

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20315 on: March 05, 2012, 03:06:19 am »

I just got solidly owned by the HFS.  Sigh.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

!!Urist Unfortune!!

• Bay Watcher
  • Binary logic. Invaders=true, MagmaPump=True
    • View Profile
« Reply #20316 on: March 05, 2012, 03:32:57 am »

not awhole lot is going on in my fortress, i cant stay off the forum long enuff to play!
Quote from: Creamcorn on March 12, 2010, 04:01:25 pm
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20317 on: March 05, 2012, 03:35:30 am »

I just worldgenned a new world, 550 year history. I've not even made my fort but this already looks FUN.

The outcome... is interesting to say the least.

The dwarves have only had a SINGLE KING, Rith Dolekuzol.

In 1 Rith became the King of True Iron

In 1 Rith married the Dwarfven Vampire Zefon Bookcloister. So the king is married to a vampire in Year 1 ._.

In the early autumn of 31 Rith became obsessed with his own mortaility and sought to extend his life by any means.

In the midwinter of 38 the kappa [modded in race] necromancer Tesum Wadedflash taught Rith the secrets of life and death.

That's right, the Dwarfen king is a NECROMANCER married to a VAMPIRE. Dear Amok. Both are still alive from Year 1.

He then went and settled in a place called Wheelscaught, and took a Kappa apprentice. All he's been doing since is createing artifacts, it seems. For over 450 years.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20318 on: March 05, 2012, 03:45:32 am »

He then went and settled in a place called Wheelscaught, and took a Kappa apprentice. All he's been doing since is createing artifacts, it seems. For over 450 years.

I suspect there's a story in this, one we already have the clues to understand.

Why'd he name it Wheelscaught?  Cause he got stuck there.

What's he been doing?  Trying to get unstuck, of course.  If you'd let world gen run long enough and he'd have made something-free and made his escape to another place!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20319 on: March 05, 2012, 05:58:35 am »

Lost: RabbitHut the Grass-Devourer
07) The Sponge has Spoken

Current: RabbitHut the Holy House
01) Start
02) Dwarf Down, Population Up
03) Light at the End of the Tunnel
04) The Big Wave

So I finally survived long enough to see a huge wave of migrants.

They picked a great time to arrive too.

And a good time in my fort.

You know, large migrant waves on Terrifying biomes isn't so bad.
All the buzzards and ravens make everything scrambled eggs,
but only a few migrants get murdered and the rest just come right in to the fort.

Gotta put these guys to work. Hopefully we can start walling up the outside world and hiring additional militia.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20320 on: March 05, 2012, 06:05:16 am »

Yeah. I had a force of sixty divided between a siege and an accidentally unsealed HFS, sending 30 to each. The ones who dealt with the siege came off far, far better despite the siege having greater initial numbers and fighting weaker dwarves.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20321 on: March 05, 2012, 07:21:03 am »

More WorldGen fun; same world as the Necromancer King married to the Vampire:

I might see what else I can dredge up. Just looking at the crazy lore this world I've made has is... wow.

EDIT: Found out they replaced the Necromancer after he moved to his new home. Still, that means there's a dwarf still alive, the first king of the dwarfs. And the first General.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:56:10 am by Raikaria »

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20322 on: March 05, 2012, 07:48:18 am »

Just got my first migrant wave on a new fort.

They came in twos, each person married to the person after them, they each have long lists of people they knew prior to coming here.

Do I have a vampire problem?
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20323 on: March 05, 2012, 07:50:10 am »

Just got my first migrant wave on a new fort.

They came in twos, each person married to the person after them, they each have long lists of people they knew prior to coming here.

Do I have a vampire problem?
If you have an old world most of your migrants will have a long list of relations and ancestors you'll know you have a vampire if they've been thrown out of alot of civilizations.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20324 on: March 05, 2012, 09:23:34 pm »

Lost: RabbitHut the Grass-Devourer
07) The Sponge has Spoken

Current: RabbitHut the Holy House
01) Start
02) Dwarf Down, Population Up
03) Light at the End of the Tunnel
04) The Big Wave
05) Garbage Improvement

Well I still got a ways to go on the garbage chute after all.

Firstly, I'm trying to design it as a crab-trap, so that when the time comes to handle fliers they won't escape.
Besides, it's not exactly functional yet, I need to rework the hatch to mechanisms and place the hatch one z-level down.

Also, it doesn't want to smash things, it prefers to delicately balance them...
Not sure how to fix that yet.
Pages: 1 ... 1353 1354 [1355] 1356 1357 ... 3836