Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1355 1356 [1357] 1358 1359 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5789200 times)

TheHatman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20340 on: March 07, 2012, 06:05:37 am »

Got sieged by two necromancers who raised one of the elephant corpses outside before getting captured. The corpse got inside of my entrance hallway and managed to slay atleast 6 dwarfs before chasing after a elven caravan which allowed me to raise the drawbridge. it now lives in the nearby river and goes under the name of Kiratzul Etvuth Gecast. Never thought I would be happy to get a visit from elves ;).

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20341 on: March 07, 2012, 06:43:16 am »

Carebear Mammoth has come! Assemble the dwarves!

Glass..... bring out the hammererererer!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20342 on: March 07, 2012, 07:13:54 am »

Why won't this bloody seige end?

So I've got 10 marksdwarves in two squads, 6 of them are idiots.  They go to their places on the wall without bolts, that is if they remember their quivers.  Then they stand around and bitch about long patrol duty while goblins mill about outside.  Four of them are acutally competent, meaning fully armed and they drove off the unit of trolls and at least one unit of goblins by shooting their mounts out from under them.  When it comes time to reassign militia captains, I've got a short list to draw from.  Unfortunately, even the good ones decide to take time out from making goblin pincushions by using keas for target practice.  Damn fools are wasting bolts.

Melee units are still short, only 4 dwarves, and one of them is still in traction from the autumn seige.  I've been slowly making some iron armor for them, but they aren't fully clad yet. They do have weapons at least, but 4 was not enough to send out against 4 mounted units of goblins and one unit of trolls.  Also the goblins themselves were acting stupid, with half their force just parked on the mountain doing nothing.  I opened the outer gate, and they started coming down, and the gate got closed before they could come in.  After some more lost their mounts they decided that this wasn't much fun any more and left.  All except three goblins now on foot.  I have enough cage traps to deal with them, so I opened the gates.  But they just stayed at the edge up the map.  I even used DFHack to literally light a fire under one of their asses, but they aren't retreating or making a run for the front gate.  I may have to send my soldiers out to finish them off.  I'm a bit reluctant to do that, since I don't have enough dwarves to spare in case some get killed, but spring is well underway and I want these goblins gone before the immigrants arrive.

I've also begun setting up a mass pitting chamber for army training.  Got it dug out, but it extends into my mines.  I have to seal parts of it off and make sure the mines shafts get rerouted to the surface.  I'm also going to do some construction projects on the mountain.  I really don't want the goblin seiges coming in anyway they damn well please so I'm going to be reshaping the very mountain to improve defenses.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20343 on: March 07, 2012, 09:26:18 am »

Is it me, or is this new version significantly more difficult? Not that I'm complaining; it just makes "Interesting" events more frequent :D

My current fortress, which has also been my most successful this version is great fun.
Things are slightly more forgiving now I've lowered vampire causes in world gen, but the constant flood of migrants adds a desperate urgency to things.
I got lucky with this 4x4 site; flat apart from TWO volcanoes (one open mouthed, the other covered with a small hill), a river source, wooded, flux, hematite, tetrahedrite, galena, gold and a smattering of platinum.
So I dig in fully intending to exploit the magma and hematite in order to get a proper working military. Things start okay, but the migrant waves just won't. Let. UP.
It's not that I can't cope with migrants; it's that I set them to work so efficiently, well, they generate a lot of wealth very quickly :E

The first visitor was a minotaur. Thankfully, my dodge trap over magma worked to sterling effect, and only a couple of stragglers got caught. But then the Snatchers came in force. Literally one every 10 seconds for about ten minutes until BAM, ambushed by marks-goblins. I must have lost 15 children to snatchers, resulting in widespread dwarf misery. The arragobs made short work of another 10 or so dwarves, and a flaw in my dodge trap became evident: the end opened up in to my main fortress, providing no cover for the hapless dwarves inside.
I dug in and weathered it out until the gobboes got bored and wandered off.
I still hadn't managed to exploit the riches of my fortress beyond carving out the magma channels and churning out a stream of crappy rock crafts.
Tentatively, I let the dwarves back out of the fort to bury the dead and gather socks.
However, I was periodically being raided by more and more ambushes, resulting in frequent retreats to the underground burrow. On the bright side, this reminded me that children should be confined to the burrow AT ALL TIMES.

A Weretapir appeared and proved to be possibly the most ineffectual enemy ever. He came snarling to the fortress (do Tapirs snarl?), and just as I sent my battered and beaten military to what I expected was their doom, he transformed back into an elf and scarpered.
"RAAAAAAR! YOU SHALL KNOW WHY YOU FEAR THE..." *SPLORT* "Whoops! Bye!".

It was at this point I resorted to a somewhat cheap but effective tactic. I decided that damn it all to hell, if I'm going to be constantly attacked, IMMA BUILD A WALL.

Halfway through, a giantess appeared, chased a mason around the map, then tried to follow him into the fort and fell prey to the dodge trap.
Well at least SOMETHING works in this hellhole.

Things calmed down for a bit, and I started levelling off the hillock covering the second volcano. Don't ask why. I think it breaks the uniformity of the map or something.
With children confined to the burrow and the dodge trap catching those more sneaky assailants, I had a bit of room to breathe. To grow complacent.

A human caravan appeared, lead by a Fox Fiend diplomat who they swore was a god. He seemed friendly enough, although I was wary of his deadly gas. He chatted to my mayor, complimented our achievements, and then a vile force of darkness arrived.
"Oho!", thinks I, "We have a GOD on our side!".
Yeah, but he was a bit shit.
The gobboes got to the end of the dodge trap, and Mr. Fox Fiend charged at them, but somehow ended up in the magma. He then proceeded to sit in the magma, angrily and continuously trying to kill the gobboes with his gas attack, which actually proved to be not that deadly at all really.
So in resignation, I sent some dwarves to attack the gobboes, which with a rare stroke of luck actually drew them into the fortress and into the dodge trap, breaking the siege!
YAY!
Or not.
See, the Fox Fiend decided he'd been in our crappy fortress far too long at that point and decided to go berserk.
Now while he proved to be a bit crap in combat, his hardiness and persistence, combined with a military consisting of raw recruits meant he wreaked havoc for a good few weeks, disrupting dwarves going for a drink and killing any military sent at him purely through dint of being a hard bastard to kill. While his deadly gas wasn't really that deadly, he'd stay alive so long that he was bound to get in some lucky hits.
Red down arrows flashed throughout the fortress as friends and family died to this rampaging not-really-a-deity.
But Lady Luck must be smiling on me. The ongoing fight spilled into an already exploited galena vein, and some hasty masonry allowed my dwarves to wall the crazed diplomat in. He sits there to this day raging at nothing in particular.

Things are getting back to a reasonable semblance of normality; dwarves distraught at the deaths of those near and dear have either gone crazy and died or gone berserk and been killed. The necropolis housing my fortress dead continues to grow into a thing of glory; restless spirits are restless no more. We have completed the curtain wall and are working on replicating the dodge trap as the only entrance to the compound. Steel production is in full swing, and we're beginning to see the beginnings of a professional military (finally!).
Even our latest "Unwelcome Guest" seems rather tame, being an Elf. I'm not sure if it's the return of the Weretapir or just an angry treehugger come to berate us for letting his comrades die in our hellhole. He's just wandering around outside the wall at the moment. I think I'll leave him there for the time being.
Now I think would be a good time to start a danger room :)

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
« Reply #20344 on: March 07, 2012, 09:50:34 am »

I figured out how to train a war leopard, so I went ahead and did that.  I chained a honey badger to the front entrance, just to tell the world that we don't give a shit, we're just crazy.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20345 on: March 07, 2012, 10:09:37 am »

Forgotten Beast Soap.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20346 on: March 07, 2012, 10:21:07 am »

I am watching my fortress crumble in fucking bullet time.

Sig'd

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20347 on: March 07, 2012, 10:28:21 am »

Currently cleaning up a fort I abandoned because what seemed like two invasions (though only got the invasion warning once).

Reclaimed the fortress..
Now I have clothes everywhere.. all over the map.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20348 on: March 07, 2012, 10:31:24 am »

I am currently trying to build a mechanism that will allow me to funnel clowns up into the top of my fortress...

Into the barrel of a water cannon.

Quick question, does HFS fight goblins, or will I have to wait for the necro next door to siege?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20349 on: March 07, 2012, 11:01:17 am »

Having to go through pretty much every single item available for trade when there are COUNTLESS numbers of clothes left over from the previous civilization here.

This is such a pain.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20350 on: March 07, 2012, 11:03:49 am »

OGOD! It's an elven caravan.  :'(
I can't just sell the containers, can I?

That's alright, half of the junk won't even get to the depot on time.

EDIT: Sorry about the doublepost. Used to forums that automerge them.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20351 on: March 07, 2012, 11:15:12 am »

Seeing as two Dorfs just died from minor infections I am going to get DFHack, "-drybuckets" cmd and command the fort to make as much soap as dwarvenly possible, burn the forests to ash, slaughter everything, render lakes of tallow and make sure that there is at least 1 bar of soap for every Dwarf in Gorgecrypt.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20352 on: March 07, 2012, 11:26:16 am »

-One of my craftsdwarves was mauled by a ghost, lost his entire left arm. Recovered.
-Woodworker was mauled by a ghost, lost lower right leg. Believe she's got a permanent stay in the hospital.
-As we speak, a new ghost, a ghostly soap maker iis tearing the left arm of one of my Animal Dissectors off.

I'M GOING TO SOLDIER THROUGH THIS!
.. but if it doesn't work out, I'm starting a brand new fortress. Not reclaiming this mountain fortress.

EDIT Aaaaaaaaand I just pissed off an elven caravan because there was a cedar harp that I unknowingly checked for trade

:-\ I knew thee well, fortress.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:44:59 am by RabblerouserGT »

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #20353 on: March 07, 2012, 11:44:05 am »

you should put ghosts to rest with slabs, or if they are bugged, use df...not hack, the other one, the one for dorfs editing. and kill the ghosts.
i had once to reclaim a 180 fortress of dorfs.
immagine clothes scattered and everything.
now immagine it haunted by mad dorf, illithid, werewolfs and minotaurs. lost three seven dorfs squads to it.
But i persevered and eventually cleaned it up.
still had to use...RUNESMITH, that was the name, to kill some extra ghosts which did not appear on slab listing..
reclaims are fun!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20354 on: March 07, 2012, 11:52:02 am »

you should put ghosts to rest with slabs, or if they are bugged, use df...not hack, the other one, the one for dorfs editing. and kill the ghosts.
i had once to reclaim a 180 fortress of dorfs.
immagine clothes scattered and everything.
now immagine it haunted by mad dorf, illithid, werewolfs and minotaurs. lost three seven dorfs squads to it.
But i persevered and eventually cleaned it up.
still had to use...RUNESMITH, that was the name, to kill some extra ghosts which did not appear on slab listing..
reclaims are fun!
I wanted to use coffins to conserve space. No way I'm making 117 coffins, though.

Either way, I think I'll pick a different spot next time. Not reclaiming this again.
The payoff of reclaiming this place isn't work the trouble. I want to make my next civilization along a river. :D Not this barren mountains.

Gonna miss the name, though. "Imprisoned Merchants" was just so awesome.

EDIT: Shem Vabokegul, Animal Dissector.
No left upper arm, lower arm, or hand. Left arm is GONE.

Bio only says "She sustained minor injuries lately."

T'IS BUT A SCRATCH!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:11:17 pm by RabblerouserGT »

Pages: 1 ... 1355 1356 [1357] 1358 1359 ... 3835