Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1421 1422 [1423] 1424 1425 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5856574 times)

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21330 on: March 28, 2012, 06:40:27 pm »

@acehawk
Nice going with the dragon. I really want to secure a breeding pair of dragons for my new fort. Just to create a ring of watch dragons around the castle.

Nothing quite like starting a forest fire to kill 7 gobbos...

crispy dragon tamer.
There is no such thing as overkill.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21331 on: March 28, 2012, 07:42:41 pm »

I caught a whole 8 buzzards, this is the closest I can get to a crow for now, let the taming begin!
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
« Reply #21332 on: March 28, 2012, 08:14:51 pm »

So I got a count and a mayor... On the last failure of a mandate of the mayor's he had the countess punished. What does the count thing about that lol!

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21333 on: March 28, 2012, 08:38:31 pm »

Anvilring (31.25 fort) is actually quiescent at the moment.  No new goblin sieges (I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the master of the goblin civilization eventually shows up... it'd be cooler if they came on mounts).  I'm working on building more roads until I can invite the ruler of my civilization to my fort.  No new Forgotten Beasts, even.

I've been working on producing more weapons/armor, and created a new crossbowdwarf squad.  Will make some more melee squads, too.  Want to (learn how to) create a windmill, generate electrical power, and other fun stuff like that.  I have 2 magma smelters and a magma glass furnace now.  Might make a magma forge too.

Eventual goals:
Find adamantine.
Attempt HFS.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21334 on: March 28, 2012, 09:10:33 pm »

I have a child in my craftsdwarf's workshop demanding a vast list of items that I already have but not going to collect any of them.

Is there a bug where traded items can't be used for moods?
[Signature]

DrTaco

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_RATIONAL_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21335 on: March 28, 2012, 09:15:31 pm »

I've recently slain a berserker, and I have no idea how he got that way... I'm now a bit scared of anything that will happen. I don't even have metal to make weapons, and only 5 soldiers!
"I'm just so FUCKIN' HAPPY!"
*throws chair across the room*

acehawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21336 on: March 28, 2012, 09:19:27 pm »

@acehawk
Nice going with the dragon. I really want to secure a breeding pair of dragons for my new fort. Just to create a ring of watch dragons around the castle.

Nothing quite like starting a forest fire to kill 7 gobbos...

crispy dragon tamer.

Welllll, so far the dragon hasn't hurt anyone. At first I built her cage and had the trainer taming her in the cage. She kept going back and forth between semi-wild and wild, then after a while I noticed she was (Trained) so after a moment of consideration I let her out and nobody has died yet so I have my fingers crossed lol

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21337 on: March 28, 2012, 11:53:34 pm »

Bet that took some balls for the trainer to undertake.

masquerine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21338 on: March 29, 2012, 12:19:12 am »

I have a child in my craftsdwarf's workshop demanding a vast list of items that I already have but not going to collect any of them.

Is there a bug where traded items can't be used for moods?

Do you mean items you just bought from the traders/are trading? It seems that any item you designate for trading is essentially temporarily forbidden to the rest of the fort. I noticed this when Urist McOneleg demanded crutches. I knew I had 20 or so crutches, but didn't know that I had forgotten to disable crutches from the finished goods stockpile closest to the depot. So I was accidentally trading all of my crutches during that time. I'd assume this applies to moods as well. It could also be that a hauler grabbed the item your mood dwarf wanted so he'd have to wait until the item makes it to the stockpile before he grabs it (although that would only be temporary and likely isn't the case.)

If the item in question was something you marked for trading, try un-marking it if the traders are still sitting in the depot. That should allow the mood dwarf to take the item. If for some reason your mood dwarf still doesn't move, then you still might not have the item he requires even counting the trading and already bought goods. Dfhack has an option to show exactly what items a mood dwarf requires, could be useful to solve this situation if what I suggested doesn't work. I learned not to mix crafts with quivers, crutches and other useful items in the same finished goods stockpile (especially during trading). My thoughts on it, anyway.

xandalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21339 on: March 29, 2012, 12:38:53 am »

Hmmm... Well, I'll just start off with it's been FUN!

So, I start a young world, only 100 years in from creation when I first embarked. So when she arrived on the 18th of Malachite in 101, little did I know the trouble that would follow... Who is "she?" Well, "she" has a few names, most recently known as: McVampy. Well, as you can imagine it wasn't long before the first dwarf was found completely drained of blood... After the second I had enough to go on to figure out which of my already numerous dwarfs was the culprit. Que the constructing special vault, etc etc etc. The vault gets finished in record time, I do the paperwork, get her tossed in, sealed the door, walled it up. Problem solved... Or so I thought...

No, it seems that almost immediately after sealing her in her nice new shiny engraved-smoothed-masterwork-outfitted-roometernal prison, I get wave after wave of 20+ migrants... Que the sound of a collapsing food system. So... I tried two options: 1. abandon and reclaim. This turned out to be a source of much worry, as after checking McVampy's prison... Well, she was gone (didn't know if she'd still be there or not, with there being no way out and all...). So, I loaded the backup and resumed with... Option 2: Free McVampy temporarily. Rely on her to repair tantrum-damage to my pillboxing system. Shoo all the other dwarfs outside, lock the door... and let her start cleaning up the mess.

And that folks, is what's going on in my fort...

edit: Oh, I should also mention it's been only 5 years since the original embark... And McVampy has absolutely ZERO skill outside of a smithy...

And also... Dwarf children are nasty when starving! One of the caravans got mauled by a throng of 'em... I expected lots of dead kids... not a dead caravan with dwarfs looting all the food they could find... (this was before I shut them out permanently).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:46:56 am by xandalis »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21340 on: March 29, 2012, 12:47:11 am »

just butcher some dogs and such to get some meat to keep the plants for brewing.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21341 on: March 29, 2012, 12:51:39 am »

just butcher some dogs and such to get some meat to keep the plants for brewing.

That won't stop them from eating them if they have a preference for plumphelmets or something.

I vote making a hatch to dump fuel and metals, and a pick to make a sealed system where the vamp makes weapons and gear, throws them down, you lock the hatch, open a floodgate and get the goodies.

Beginning work on a giant animal training system. This should make a nice mess of this fort.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21342 on: March 29, 2012, 03:06:18 am »

Goblinite harvesting is getting up to speed. I've already mined out two veins (=siege), a coupler of large clusters (=ambush) and some small clusters (=thief).
Nobles' quartiers are being dug out and equippedf with the finest furniture Dwarf IKEA has to offer.
I've decided to eschew opening up the 1st cavern layer, since it's mostly filled with water anyways. Now going for some exploratory mining deeper down.

For some unfathomable reason, I've started to run out of food. What gives? AFAIK, my farms are running at capacity and there's plenty of needless domestic animals to butcher.

Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21343 on: March 29, 2012, 05:21:12 am »

three goblin ambushes, 4 goblin thieves and a kobold thief who got caught in the middle, poor soul. With butchering goblins enabled, I might as well toss all animals I kept for meat out of the fort. The downside is that I'm keeping population down and it's starting to make cleaning up a slow process.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21344 on: March 29, 2012, 05:57:34 am »

Hokay. I sent my lone macelord up to the surface to bait the gobbos into my (uncompleted - no ballista yet :P) ballista hallway so my marksdorfs can pepper with arrows from behind fortifications. They are coming, this better work!!
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl
Pages: 1 ... 1421 1422 [1423] 1424 1425 ... 3836