Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1422 1423 [1424] 1425 1426 ... 3835

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5787104 times)

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21345 on: March 29, 2012, 07:13:45 am »

Discovered who my other-than-vampire-mayor vampire was. It was my mayor :( Turns out burrows don't contain the thirsty. I've chained him to his desk so he can still work, will hammer him soon.
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21346 on: March 29, 2012, 08:02:53 am »

known fact about vampires.
btw, notice that button top right of your post? not quote. Modify. Avoids double postings.

And how did the goblin luring go?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21347 on: March 29, 2012, 09:05:10 am »

Bet that took a beard for the trainer to undertake.
FTFY

On topic:
First fort in the new version,
Gembrother, strike the earth!

Group name:
The first crystal
Fortress name:
Gembrother

Site is very casual:
Wilderness, warm, lots of trees and lots of plants, flux, deep metals, very deep soil and clay.
Lets hope i dont starve to death right of the bat.

EDIT:
Off-topic, what do you guys think about my new avatar?
self-made :3

EDIT:
I feel retarded.
I embarked on a brook, and since goblins can just walk straight over, they are useless D:
Lets find another site.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:17:45 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21348 on: March 29, 2012, 11:02:38 am »

I just built a war-animal complex above ground. I assigned all the war dogs to their cage in it, and instead of taking one dog at a time from their old cage to the new one, the dwarves decide to release them ALL first. I now have 110 (I have 111 dogs, 1 has been caged to far) running rampant through my fort following their trainers. One trainer is asleep, and a large portion of the dogs caught up to him. Imagine waking up to the mini-army of the 68 dogs you've ever trained crowded into your small 1x3 room, slobbering all over your +Pig tail fiber sock+ collection.

Luckily, no significant (or any) drop in fps even with my war dog militia pathing through the fort.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 11:06:41 am by Daveorock »
Twenty seconds after the collapse, 14 dwarves hit the ground simultaneously.
EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Dangerous Terrain

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21349 on: March 29, 2012, 11:21:19 am »

An FB appeared, fought some Dwarfs, died. One of the Dwarfs, a wrestler/axedwarf-in-training named Urist was thrown in the underground water, got out, lost her hand during the fight. She then rushed upwards to the hospital while I looked for someone to take on doctor duties; I already had a CMD with adequate diagnostics but that Dwarf doesn't like helping others much, so I looked for someone who likes helping others, instead, I found a wood burner who had "she is truly fulfilled when helping those in need" in her list. Gave her all healthcare and she fixed Urist up so quickly that Urist's walk from the cavern took longer than the actual doctoring process. Sweet.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21350 on: March 29, 2012, 12:09:32 pm »

Some kobold thieves showed up while the dwarf caravan was parked in the depot. After spotting the first one, I parked most of the army at the main gate, where no thief could possibly get through them.  They quickly destroyed a second kobold tht showed up.  A third kobold was spotted southeast of my fort by some useless peasant cleaning up stuff outside.  This kobold decided to escape by running northwest,  right into my army which tore him apart slowly.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21351 on: March 29, 2012, 12:19:56 pm »

My attempts to carve out a utopian, 100% aesthetically pleasing 2x2 embark tile are progressing, slowly but steadily.  Unfortunately, the workers creating it are not so fortunate to be living in a utopia.

I basically carved out the uppermost slice of a huge artificial, jagged canyon into which I will build fancy houses and towers and waterfalls, etc.  Then I crammed every single bed and workshop, etc. into this one medium sized room while construction proceeded on the rest of the stuff, and until other areas were ready for permanent residence.

Unfortunately, this means a festering shanty town for the workers, who constantly get miasma-d, run out of alcohol (so hard to tell what the hell is going on without proper stockpiles), get picked off by gobbos and fire imps due to the small map and meager defenses, etc.  Clothes are strewn everywhere, because chests are an unnecessary luxury.  Occasional cave-ins and other massive construction side effects wipe out workers and put multiple holes in my shanty town floor.  Coffins are strewn everywhere haphazardly.  Miners regularly get crushed, lost and die of thirst in the maze of simultaneous and dangerous construction operations going on.  The hospital is a bed, a table and a chest in a 4x2 activity area in the middle of the forge area...

TWICE now we have accidentally breached the volcano that the canyon wraps around, flooding the entire canyon and incinerating multiple people with lava and brush fires, until I could diverge murky pools to plug up the holes with obsidian.

However, the Earth is struck all the same!  The canyon is now majestically spanning 4-5 z layers over much of the map, and has some dormitories and a keep built for those who will ultimately not receive houses.  The central, aesthetically pleasing utility shaft is working out nicely, as well.  It has a 3x3 (minus the tile in the center) stairway going up and down.  In the center tile of that is a space for a vertical machine axle for power wherever desired (run on cave lake flow).  Surrounding that are three large, centralized pipes: one full of controlled magma supply from the volcano, but with floodgates, two empty tubes for magma and water drainage of various projects, respectively, and one tiny, high-pressure water line connected to a large reservoir up top (filled with cave lake pump stack, only when empty to avoid lag) for instantly filling any trap or cistern below.  Thus, running, nice-looking water and magma and power on tap on every floor, as desired! Workshops and storage are in a handful of layers around the utility shaft ~15 z levels down to not be an eyesore to the utopians later on.

Once I have a replacement for every part of my shanty town, I am going to evacuate everyone, dig around the edges, and cave the entire 40x20ish floor into oblivion about 8 z levels down to open the canyon to the sky (later to be glassed in).  It will be good riddance.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:25:47 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21352 on: March 29, 2012, 01:35:50 pm »

A forgotten beast arrived with wings and the ability to breath fire, but I didn't really care as the caverns were sealed off and so I'd largely forgotten about it.

Being drowned in "The Bat(wo)man has been caught in a burst of flames!" x 3408973445 currently.

I'm interested in how my dwarves even know this.

But oh god I have a feeling the cavern is going to turn into a flaming wasteland pretty soon.  Like that one town in Pennsylvania.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21353 on: March 29, 2012, 01:43:35 pm »

I tried again, and i got off nicely.
Tough my dwarves put the caravan on damn frozen murky pool, the only thing that i lost is a barrel of rum.
Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21354 on: March 29, 2012, 02:01:02 pm »

known fact about vampires.
btw, notice that button top right of your post? not quote. Modify. Avoids double postings.

And how did the goblin luring go?

Ah sorry, I am the forum noob :(

Luring worked, my macelord is now sporting holes everywhere but I have some decent medics. Drew the filthy green horde into my killing rooms and just hit them with everything I had. There are still forces on the surface, but at least immigrants have a chance at running for it now :)
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21355 on: March 29, 2012, 02:07:13 pm »

Need some kind of ethic token for nudity. Because ponies do not normally wear clothes.

Coincidentally, got my first Macabre mood just now.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21356 on: March 29, 2012, 02:09:46 pm »

I've got a small swarm of 12 large roaches in my fortress. Yes a swarm. They're all in a 6x4 rectangle. Never seen that before in fortress mode. They're 2 z-levels deep and my two tomcats are right in the middle happily biting away.

16 large roaches are already dead.*Kenshiro points menacingly* I've seen adventurers disturb nests of large roaches, but not in fortress mode.

TO BATTLE, MY CATS !

Edit : After the battle... i mean slaughter, it seems that in two tiles my cats have killed so much large roaches that there are a few spatterings of large roach ichor on the ground

breadman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21357 on: March 29, 2012, 02:48:31 pm »

Razorpacked has a new mayor.  I didn't even notice until she prohibited the export of battle axes.  Then I checked the nobility screen, and sure enough, she wants an office, so I'll probably have to kick the old expedition leader (now just manager) out of his royal throne room.  (Really just 3×3, but with an artifact table and an artifact throne.)  She's also new enough that she doesn't have any quarters at all.

Then I check her preferences to see whether future mandates might cause problems; drums could, but I'm not sure whether alunite and spoilerite would in this version (34.04).  But what's this?

Spoiler: Civilizations (click to show/hide)

Oh, no.

So I check the missing units list and the health status screen; no problems at all except for the wax worker's old leg wound.  Even his infection has cleared up.  So maybe there isn't a problem after all.

Nevertheless, it might still be worthwhile to send her down to seal the caverns.  So I check her relationships; a husband and fourteen children, but none of them in the fort.  Only passing acquaintances with a few of my citizens.  On a whim, I hit view on her deity: Amug, who takes the form of a female dwarf and is associated with lies.  Who has cursed two vampires and two weremonsters, none of them named Meng.  Nor are any of the listed worshippers, but from looking at the deities in other dwarf relationship pages, that doesn't seem abnormal.

So I go to check her skills in Therapist, and ... she's not there.  There's an Endok Mondűlmelbil who seems to match; the great building designer skill is particularly hard to miss.  Half a dozen other useful skills, including two medical, and a dozen more unselected, but only in dyeing and architecture is she best in the fort.  Endok, it turns out, does match one of the vampires in Amug's list.  To the caverns it is.
Quote from: Kevin Wayne, in r.g.r.n
Is a "diety" the being pictured by one of those extremely skinny aboriginal statues?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21358 on: March 29, 2012, 02:58:31 pm »

All kids kidnapped by goblins - no problem, I can receive migrants. But it looks that I embarked as dead civilisation...
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21359 on: March 29, 2012, 03:19:07 pm »

An FB appeared, fought some Dwarfs, died. One of the Dwarfs, a wrestler/axedwarf-in-training named Urist was thrown in the underground water, got out, lost her hand during the fight. She then rushed upwards to the hospital while I looked for someone to take on doctor duties; I already had a CMD with adequate diagnostics but that Dwarf doesn't like helping others much, so I looked for someone who likes helping others, instead, I found a wood burner who had "she is truly fulfilled when helping those in need" in her list. Gave her all healthcare and she fixed Urist up so quickly that Urist's walk from the cavern took longer than the actual doctoring process. Sweet.
Another FB came and died but the poisonous vapors off this one caused three Dwarf melee-militia and one war dog (pet of the captain) to suffocate because they were bruised and blistered everywhere. Afore mentioned Urist and an axedwarf named Monom are the sole survivors of that group.  :'(
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.
Pages: 1 ... 1422 1423 [1424] 1425 1426 ... 3835