Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1480 1481 [1482] 1483 1484 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5865184 times)

AfroScotsDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • AfroScotsDwarf, the scotish cyclops with a thirst
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22215 on: April 26, 2012, 12:29:27 pm »

today, i had a minotaur and a were chamaelion orhoweveryouspellit  come at the same time, unfortunatley at differant sides of the map. the minotaur took out several of my dwarves, with a sock, no less, before dieing to being a pin-cussion. the chameleon? bit someone and proceeded towards the edge of the map after having its arm torn off and almost killed. later on, i laughed as my hammerer found someone to de-leg, untill i realize he was the one who was bitten and was disposed of swiftly by some archers and war dogs. as the layout of my top-side fort is almost complete, i shall procede to construct some archer towers, so my bees bolts will block out the light of my enemies!
"i would rather consume nutrition which has become FUKIN MAED GON HOT BY DA FIRE." Edward on hot food
 ಠ_ೃ

Slashes-With-Claws

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22216 on: April 26, 2012, 01:19:29 pm »

First fort ended not by death by parrots as I thought it might, but lack of food.  Will try again with better planning.
Mary had a Little Lamb...

...BUT I ATE IT!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22217 on: April 26, 2012, 01:23:48 pm »

I went ahead and installed dfhack.  WHEE!!! 

Turned on fastdwarf so I could actually get some stuff done.  Managed to complete the basic shell of sublevel 2.  I need more granite for my colorscheme, so I will dig sublevel 3.

I attempted to make a screenshot of the incomplete fortress with StoneSense, but the fortress is too large. I cant get a general overall view.  Is there a way to enlarge the viewport in stonesense?

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22218 on: April 26, 2012, 01:37:08 pm »

I accidently breached hell. Thank god for artifact doors. My entire military is engaging them. If they fail, the doors will hold them back til I can danger room the entire fort population.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22219 on: April 26, 2012, 01:42:47 pm »

My waterfall is becoming ridiculously complicated.  In order to prevent it from flooding, I've dug a moderately-sized drainage are underneath, which connects to some pumps to put the water back into the river (fortunately, I haven't run into the stagnant water bug yet, so hopefully that won't change).  This required me to link up the pumps to my reactor, which took some creative digging.  Then I realized that the intake I had built for the waterfall pump stack wouldn't actually get any water, due to the way water pressure from rivers works.  Now, I have to squeeze in another pump to bring the water up one more z-level, which means more digging and power routing.  Because of the way I built the building that will house the waterfall, I had to make some weirdly-shaped aqueduct-things to get the water where I need it.

I'll put up some screenshots in a bit, just as soon as I can get on DF again.

EDIT:  Screenshots!
Spoiler: z-level -2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: z-level -1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: z-level 0 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: z-level +2 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 02:21:58 pm by Gizogin »
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22220 on: April 26, 2012, 02:35:18 pm »

I'm beginning to think my vanilla volcano embark is bugged.

First: no one will slaughter animals anymore. I have a bunch of caged rutherers, which for some reason no one would slaughter for several seasons. So long that they've given birth to twins, twice. I've been forced to tame them just to free up cages.

Second: Couple dwarves just went melancholy. I may have missed something, but I couldn't find any reason why they were miserable. Only thing that looks peculiar is that they "slept in a bed" instead of "slept in own bed" recently. There are plenty of unclaimed bedrooms, which dwarves will enter to smooth floors or engrave, so it's not because of accessibility.

Third: Started getting notices that I'd discovered a magma sea when I wasn't doing any digging. No one's missing, so it's not because someone decided to go volcano diving, which I've had in another fort. And when I zoom to the location of the announcement, I find the warm stone in the caverns, but no one's near it. There's one hunter on the opposite side of the map, stalking creeping eyeballs for dinner.

In one of my other forts (Suicide Falls,) they just had an ogre invasion after finally breaching the caverns. No bugginess like the first fort, though, although I'm getting sick of the jeweler ignoring the pile of stone crafts next to the workshop and traversing several levels to get pigtail socks and bloody mittens.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22221 on: April 26, 2012, 04:10:07 pm »

I accidently breached hell. Thank god for artifact doors. My entire military is engaging them. If they fail, the doors will hold them back til I can danger room the entire fort population.

*que epic montage set to eye of the tiger*
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22222 on: April 26, 2012, 05:57:33 pm »

Tried to lift the siege with a missile barrage but didn't see the elite crossbowgoblin hiding in the pack.
That didn't end well for my army, but at least the goblins finally buggered off.
Everyone ran out to collect corpses straight into an ambush. Many deaths  :o
They also killed an elf so no trading with them this year.
Luckily I seem to be avoiding starvation but my population has dropped considerably slowing down the fortress development. I got a few migrants but not enough.
Building walls with doors to give my outside workers a better escape chance.
I finally located the 2nd vampire as there were witnesses to her last two murders. She'd managed to become mayor, the cheeky sod. Got a beating and trying to get her into my outside prison.
My first forges are operational, but production will have to wait for much more stone hauling to be done to clear the stockpiles.
If I can get 50 more dwarves this fortress should start to run decently.

Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22223 on: April 26, 2012, 06:21:35 pm »

01) Embark
02) Raise the Roof

When I start building, they start coming.
Fortunately, the Moth Men Corpses that are present seem to move very slowly, and are flying in the northern region.
Still, I keep an open eye, and move everyone (livestock and all) inside as a precaution for now.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Even though I designate a meeting area inside, some dwarves still stand around the "wagon meeting area",
and by stand-around I mean stand-out-in-the-open-area  >:(

Lots of dwarves stand around doing nothing.
I ran out of stone (only brought 70 at embark), and my dabbling miner works hella slow.
Thankfully, the moth corpses are still far from my fort (my fort is kinda in south-side of the map).

Seems like ages for the guy to finally reach Novice Miner level.
Hopefully that will speed up stone production.

The moth corpses are still hanging in northern hemisphere.
I take the time to pasture Yaks outside so they can eat, and build a smelter -> Bronze Bars -> Forge -> Pick and WoodAxe

Roof still has a way to go.
Every now and then the "militia" chips in to lay roofing, but stone production is still slow so my unskilled mason works fine.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22224 on: April 26, 2012, 06:35:35 pm »

The mood in Sabreheals is actually surprisingly high. A makeshift hospital has been set up to deal with the injured, but of them all, only one is deemed needing surgery and is for the moment restricted to his bed.

A butcher and a bull narrowly missed being caught in a cloud of infernal ash. :/

Plenty of unhappies, but only one actively tantruming.

Moldath Rutodasmel, the ranger who shot down a cave croc and then managed to take out Zagith Washedlobsters after the army failed has been miserable lately.
In the negative:
She lost a child to tragedy lately. She lost a spouse to tragedy lately. She was forced to endure the decay of a child. She was forced to endure the decay of a spouse. She lost a friend to tragedy lately. She was forced to endure the decay of a friend. She has witnessed death. She is tired of drinking the same old booze. She sustained major injuries recently. She was disgusted by a miasma recently. She slept in the dirt recently.

In the positive:
She dined in a legendary dining room recently. She enjoyed throwing something recently. She talked with a child recently.
Her right upper arm is gone.

All the masons were killed in Zagith's attack; so a novice cook has been made a new mason, and is making coffins at a slow pace.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22225 on: April 26, 2012, 07:47:17 pm »

The Rustic RabbitHut
02) Raise the Roof
03) Sour and Sweet

Finally done forge a second pick. Also got a wood-cutting axe.
Moth Corpses still outside, kinda far away, but one gets closer.

I bring the animals inside for safety, and I check out the brook.
I think the brook overrides the murky pool, but world-gen forgot to uncheck the stagnant boolean.

Yak processing chambers are done, but I don't butcher just yet.

I see the moth corpse goes north again, so I go out to gather some wood.
I wall off the hut just as 2 people are working outside.

The woodcutter can cut his way back inside (a tree is working as a wall), but first he cancels to go drink from the stupid brook.
She is mocking me from the earlier fort, and while she drinks sludge, some wood-hauler dwarves can't get back inside...

Thankfully the undead are still far away.
Everyone gets inside and we finally seal off our hut.
We even had a net gain of 10+ lumber from the chopping ! Sweet.

I love it when you get the slow undead outside.
And when the 3 slow moth corpses go away, another 3 come back.
This might seem like luck, but remember 80% of this map is undead,
so this is the "lighter side" of the wildlife.

newbonomicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22226 on: April 26, 2012, 08:18:30 pm »

Bladeholds still does not live up to its name, as a consistent pattern of shoddy planning and an unprepared militia (composed of one squad of marksdwarves, meaning the only blades in this hold are at the butcher's shop) continue to kill its citizens. The excavation that took us down more than a hundred z-levels to find magma went well, and the new magma smelters are up and running.

Unfortunately, the overseer saw fit to designate that the stairs have at least one unguarded passage to each of the three caverns on the way there. So, while the single-tile stairways are already overcrowded, dwarves have had to deal with elk birds, blind cave ogres, giant toads, rutherers, and who knows what else attacking them on their absurdly-long journey to and from the magma. Apparently this isn't health and safety compliant.

We've begun building walls around every opening by the stairs, and as long as enough dwarves survive, we hope to make it safe to work over a pit of hot magma by, I dunno, next year or something?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 10:18:08 pm by newbonomicon »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22227 on: April 26, 2012, 08:22:25 pm »

My suicidal rush to spike fortress networth without training any military (invaders off. I am maximizing later fun!) Has my dwarves mass producing trousers and shirts featuring almost nothing but images of elves being brutally killed by titans, goblins, and collossi.

Networth in fortress with 27 residents creeping near 3 million.

Time so start resume clearing the volcano neck, so magma can be delivered properly to the correct areas safely.

The Armok's Arms luxury apartment complex and genocide machine is well underway.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22228 on: April 26, 2012, 08:32:34 pm »

A fair way away from the fort, the dwarven caravan was discovered dead, all coated in piles of infernal ash. Work is underway to reclaim the alcohol, food, and a bull before another cloud comes. Also, the first floor of Old Sabreheals has been converted into catacombs for the dead of Zagith's attack.

The cavern layer is being sealed off to prevent further incursions, making the only water source a well far, far above New Sabreheals Lake.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22229 on: April 26, 2012, 09:41:26 pm »

The waterfall is online!  The goblins must be jealous, because now there's another siege.  It's seriously my third in two years.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs
Pages: 1 ... 1480 1481 [1482] 1483 1484 ... 3836