Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1481 1482 [1483] 1484 1485 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5865066 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22230 on: April 26, 2012, 09:47:13 pm »

The burial of the dead of Zagith's attack is ongoing and slow.

Two of the caravan guards who died to the ash have risen. Both are merely restless; one stands on the spot where he died; the other, in our meetinghall, as he is a cousin of one of the dwarves of Sabreheals.

Mood has returned to normal with no arrests. All children are happy again.
Even Moldath Rutodasmel, who lost a friend, her spouse, and one of her two children is now 'fine'.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22231 on: April 26, 2012, 10:43:13 pm »

Holy shit, Toady fixed it.

The diplomat I had a while back came as a migrant today. I know this for a fact. She was young--that I knew. Her eyes are amber. Trolls only have amber eyes below the age of 13. And I know her name, as well, or remembered it mostly--Tildan Yfindrtoragr.

I really know it's her, however, because of her job--Animal Caretaker. She was an animal caretaker when she was a diplomat, too.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22232 on: April 27, 2012, 01:14:11 am »

Some people said it was stupid to build a fort in a volcanao, but I did.
It tantrum spiraled and crumbled to its end, so I reclaimed.
The reclaim party got decimated by goblins and the last survivor went berserk.
So I reclaimed again. And now they're beginning to tantrum...

::)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22233 on: April 27, 2012, 01:30:26 am »

After modding rabbits as a playable race and getting tigermen to survive worldgen (most of the time), I started playing around in the arena to see if I could judge the rabbits' chances in battle.

Turns out: not so good.

Rabbits have to use rabbit-sized weaponry. I don't know if you've ever seen a rabbit, but they're pretty small. You can hold them in the crook of your arm. To adequately use a weapon or tool, the item should be, at maximum, no bigger than the creature wielding it. In battle, then, they're effectively fighting off humanoids a dozen times their size with toothpicks while their enemies wield hammers with a contact area equal to the rabbit's entire body.

Iron-clad goblins vs Iron-clad rabbits, the goblins won one-on-one fights every time. The iron armor saved the rabbit from quite a few blows, but eventually they just get crushed or stabbed to death.

Iron-clad goblins vs steel-clad rabbits, the goblins still won one-on-one fights somewhere around two-thirds of the time.

I tried a huge battle (I know they're not scientific, since the sides get uneven really quickly and the survivors gang up on the losers, but I like the way it looks), 50 iron-clad goblins vs 50 steel-clad rabbits. Total massacre, though it did take a while. I had totally forgotten that I had put in the [TRANCES] tag for rabbits, so that was quite the sight. The rabbits were doomed, of course, but what a way to go.

This result was repeated over and over again vs different types of enemies. Tigermen warriors tore up the rabbits on the testing fields. Gorilla warriors proved that they were not to be trifled with. Even Kobolds, those wimpy little lizard-men, proved more than a match half the time, even for steel-clad rabbits.

Now I'm really puzzled. I've seen rabbits kick tail all over the world in legends. There are axerabbits that have taken down a bronze colossus, swordrabbits that have tackled hydras and survived, spearrabbits led armies to victory in campaigns vs goblins. But arena testing insists that the rabbit civilization should be all but wiped out by the end of worldgen. What the hell?

Impossible odds in every battle, and that's even if I manage to smelt steel. The first goblin ambush will likely decimate any forces I choose to raise. Kobolds will be a serious threat. There's nothing for it; time to start a rabbit fortress.
The battles in worldgen probably had the rabbits outnumbering the losers, Think about it, they're rabbits they shouldn't be fighting Goblins 1 on 1 it should be 20 to 1.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22234 on: April 27, 2012, 07:54:29 am »

Fired up the fortress after a month of letting it lie.

Things were fine until we were visted by a cyclops.  I was not ready.  No military, and no lever to raise the drawbridge.  I bought time by allowing my dwarves free run of the map to draw off the cyclops.  I quickly installed a lever, and had it linked to the drawbridge.  I quickly defined a burrow and confined the dwarves.  I also set up a military consisting of archers.

A stream of fortress denizens came into the fortress.  I pulled the level, trapping a single marksdwarve outside.  The Cyclops came into the entryway, and bagan to do battle with a wardog, the Marksdwarf, and a stray.  Unfortunately, the Marksdwarf was ripped limb from limb.  The Cylcops has his buttocks torn off by a wardog, and retaliated by biting the dogs back left tooth.  Fortunately for the dog, the Cyclops entered the stone-fall trap area, and while dodging a stone fell into the 10 z-level pit in the entrance, and met his doom with a sickening thud.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22235 on: April 27, 2012, 08:49:40 am »

The battles in worldgen probably had the rabbits outnumbering the losers, Think about it, they're rabbits they shouldn't be fighting Goblins 1 on 1 it should be 20 to 1.

I'm pretty sure battles in worldgen are a series of 1v1 fights until the battle's over.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22236 on: April 27, 2012, 09:11:02 am »

Bunnies probably have the advantage 1vs 1 then, they jump and go straight for the neck.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

karloss99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22237 on: April 27, 2012, 09:19:39 am »

Reclaim fort at a volcano.

2 words.

Giant badger(s) :o

currently got them tied up in the dining hall... my dorfs are getting restless angry insane.

*prepping for inevitable 2nd reclaim.*

Kubuk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22238 on: April 27, 2012, 09:58:12 am »

Being sieged by goblins.
I had 3 soldiers fully equipped in steel, sent them against the goblins, the goblins knocked all three out and the goblins keep bashing their heads for like a month now. Also tantrum spiral imminent. I think I'll get funnied soon.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22239 on: April 27, 2012, 11:15:15 am »

I've given my fortress a self-filling water tank (that can't overflow and cause fun by design). and I'm slowly building the fun little gimmick I intend to implement/inflict upon the finished design.

Kubuk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22240 on: April 27, 2012, 11:23:12 am »

Being sieged by goblins.
I had 3 soldiers fully equipped in steel, sent them against the goblins, the goblins knocked all three out and the goblins keep bashing their heads for like a month now. Also tantrum spiral imminent. I think I'll get funnied soon.

The result of the siege:

The goblins got bored, so they left after gangbanging my soldiers, they died. Everyone died. Well, except for two vampires that didn't really give a f*ck about the whole thing, they're quite fine actually. There's still hope :D . Guess one of them's going to be a jack-of-all-trades, and I'm going to make a soldier out of the other one, and see how long I can go.

Slashes-With-Claws

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22241 on: April 27, 2012, 11:39:25 am »

Had my first possessed dwarf. Had to build a craftdwarf workshop and then cut some gems to meet their needs.  I made it and they crafted a ring.

In mining news, there are massive veins of magnetite all around here, and I just learned that all this marble I have laying around can be used to make steel.  Oh yeah, and there is a forest here too, so lots of trees for charcoal.

Oh, and I lost a yak to a werelizard.
Mary had a Little Lamb...

...BUT I ATE IT!

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22242 on: April 27, 2012, 04:47:28 pm »

Currently settling a terrifying glacier. The military dwarf and 2 dwarfted miners have racked up 9 ice wolves killed. Making food and bone a non issue for this year at least. Bronzepost is living up to its name partly so far at least. With decent veins of tetrahedrite discovered near the surface rock layers. With the entryway and gatehouse of the fort-to-be being carved out between cave layer 1 and 2. There is a pit connecting caves 1 and 2 that's pretty big. Tempted to build some offices with windows looking out of this and bedrooms for important dwarfs. In the mean time the makeshift surface camp is stocked with enough food and drink foraged from the caves and killed animals to keep the 12 dwarfs inhabiting the area as of autumn fed.

Once the population is safely moved into the fort proper i can start putting the iron anvil I brought with me to use. In the mean time my militia commander has gained some massive skill increases with his mace and dodging. Which has proven invaluable with fighting undead ice wolves on the glacier. Less parts sailing off in an arc and risen animal parts seem to go down easier to blunt damage. At the rate things are going the local militia wont need to be set on training to get good skills. Just get decent armor and go out in a group bashing on constantly rising corpses.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 04:52:12 pm by Lexx »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22243 on: April 27, 2012, 05:44:41 pm »

I've been assaulted by a forgotten beast; a winged blob of mud. It was put down quickly without casualties, including the child that literally ran right underneath it. It didn't actually swing at her and she left it's LOS before it had a chance to move, meaning it kept heading into my fortress. A few soldiers from the militia showed up to combat it, but got smothered in it's deadly vapors. They've all been quarantined in the hospital now with the good doctor and her husband. So far the syndrome has only caused dizziness, which ended a month or so ago, but due to the massive delay some effects can have and the fact that FB syndromes almost always have 2-3 or more, I'm keeping them locked in there for now. They can smooth and engrave the floors while they wait.

Not much else has been happening besides some heavy labor and animal management.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 05:48:07 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22244 on: April 27, 2012, 06:22:45 pm »

The Rustic RabbitHut
03) Sour and Sweet
04) Spring Growing - Part 1

We're sealed in, but the dwarves don't even have a skeleton of a fortress yet.
All we have is 2 butcher rooms, a rabbit hut, and a long hallway.

The second miner finally reaches Novice skill. Good, now I have 2 novice miners.
They are almost done clearing out the farming chamber, then they take a nap.
I use this time to order the "militia" to start dumping stone out of the room.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The dumping finishes. Farm cleared, it just need a murky pool to water it.
Before that, I order the miners to start clearing out another chamber near the others.
I absolutely need more space to work.

We only have room for, like, 1 workshop in this fort. All other space is filled with spare lumber.

The current workshop is a mechanics.
Otome is working on mechanisms to flood the farm properly.

Both Yaks get hungry simultaneously.
Time to appoint a militia commander, and Yak containment chamber #1 will soon be filled with blood.

Butcher time goes well, but my dwarves are PAINFULLY slow at hauling the meat out of the room.
I think they all must have lazy-attributes.
Still, nothing rises in the room, so I seal it off without incident after harvesting the food.

Let's get to the second Yak.
Pages: 1 ... 1481 1482 [1483] 1484 1485 ... 3836