Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1482 1483 [1484] 1485 1486 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5857774 times)

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22245 on: April 27, 2012, 06:40:32 pm »

I've found a good sinister place to embark, and I've decided to try making my own weapons, and see if I can get my swordsdwarf equipped before something notices me.

Unfortunately, there are no zombies, so no rise of the dead for me!
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22246 on: April 27, 2012, 06:51:49 pm »

Deadly Mist! And I can't remember how to use burrows! Damnit!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22247 on: April 27, 2012, 07:00:40 pm »

Deadly Mist! And I can't remember how to use burrows! Damnit!
Create some burro(w)s, then go to the (m)ilitary (a)lert screen, highlight the alert you want to assign the burrow to, hit right twice, highlight the burrow for restrictions, and then if you ever want to activate it just turn the [CIV] alert to the desired burrow alert by hitting enter with it highlighted.

Alternatively you can assign dwarves to burrows from the burrow menu IIRC.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22248 on: April 27, 2012, 07:02:32 pm »

Thanks. Luckily the mist is simply passing by my fort entrance, and once I get my food and stuff inside, I won't have to worry about dwarves hanging out in the wilderness.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22249 on: April 27, 2012, 07:14:21 pm »

SUDDENLY MIST!

As the bold text suggests, a cloud of mist inexplicably appeared out of nowhere right in front of my fortress. My carpenter, unfortunately, was taking a drink at the booze that was still at the wagon area. When he walked through it, he started oozing blood all over for a few seconds, then dropped dead. At least he didn't become a husk...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #22250 on: April 27, 2012, 07:53:48 pm »

SUDDENLY MIST!

As the bold text suggests, a cloud of mist inexplicably appeared out of nowhere right in front of my fortress. My carpenter, unfortunately, was taking a drink at the booze that was still at the wagon area. When he walked through it, he started oozing blood all over for a few seconds, then dropped dead. At least he didn't become a husk...

Dwarf Fortress- where a sudden mist that causes you to bleed from every orifice and drop dead is one of the better outcomes.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22251 on: April 27, 2012, 08:18:24 pm »

So, the clown car wrecked ~10 dorfs who were in the caverns where I had the mining accident: lesson learned; The hollow tube can be placed above squares containing candy. I didn't realize it could wind around like that. The good news: I had 2 artifact doors in place on that mining area.

Right now I have all non-essential fortress operations turned off while I extract strands, smelt wafers, smith arms and armor, and prepare for the circus ring show. I'm also using all my spare copper to make spikes so that I can fill a gigantic winding hallway will hundreds of them. I'll have raising bridges to close them in and repeat spike lever for several hundred tiles. I also have it set up so I can drain the water cavern above into it. Will the clowns destroy a bridge that's in the "down" position?

Next good news: I found two other veins of candy. I'm mining them out now with my new knowledge. I should at least be able to get everyone candy axes, swords, and spears. Do candy helms help, or are the clowns too playful for them? Masterwork Steel helms were like paper against them.

In other news, my awesome mayor who only ever wanted me to make warhammers was out cutting trees when a goblin ambush got near him. I'm fairly sure he was one of the seven too.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 08:28:32 pm by Daenyth »

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22252 on: April 27, 2012, 08:48:21 pm »

Became the mountain home. Again. *Yawn*. .When is something interesting going to happen? I've only been beseiged twice and both times by small squads. .I wish seiges would happen more often.
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22253 on: April 27, 2012, 08:51:15 pm »

A forgotten beast just spawned *inside* the circus tent. I had no idea that could happen.

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #22254 on: April 27, 2012, 10:24:26 pm »

Became the mountain home. Again. *Yawn*. .When is something interesting going to happen? I've only been beseiged twice and both times by small squads. .I wish seiges would happen more often.
Make a few wells with the most expensive materials you can gather. Encrust every component that can be with All the jewels. That should provide  a large enough bump in value to attract some attention.
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22255 on: April 27, 2012, 10:28:33 pm »

I have pretty much entered the "latent breeding stage" of my fortress.

Contemplating setting CHILD:1 on the dwarf entity raws, so I can get as many up and out, and leverage my genepool as much as possible.

(My dwarves are already kinda old.... and I only have 6 females to work with.)

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22256 on: April 28, 2012, 09:24:09 am »

A Cave Dragon wandered into the caverns and took out two clowns. His fat is all melted off and he's Pale, so he probably won't take any more out, but still! Awesome!

Edit: He just got a third, and his bruises are all healed. He's got two limbs "burned" in his 'z' screen, and still Pale, but wow! Cave Dragons are beastly! I wish I could capture a breeding pair..

Edit2: He turned Faint. Not much time now. But wow, taking out 3 clowns solo! What a feat!

Also, this stockpile bug is *really* pissing me off. My dorfs enjoy walking 40 z-levels each way to bring candy threads to my weaving area, then back down to the magma.

Edit3: A vile force of darkness has arrived!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:54:02 am by Daenyth »

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22257 on: April 28, 2012, 10:06:53 am »

wow, im dying the most humiliating death: by thirst

i wanna visit the circus :'(

EDIT: maybe il just embark on a terrifying artic
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 11:02:59 am by bukitodinos »
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22258 on: April 28, 2012, 10:16:27 am »

Easily beat back the seige with 0 injuries on my side.

More good news! The cave dragon recovered from its blood loss! Unfortunately it's just sitting at the map edge, hopefully more clowns pay him a visit.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22259 on: April 28, 2012, 12:13:33 pm »

And starting my 150th fort now...

Hoping to actually get past the second year for the first time ever. Fun indeed >.>
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.
Pages: 1 ... 1482 1483 [1484] 1485 1486 ... 3836