Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1483 1484 [1485] 1486 1487 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5865140 times)

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22260 on: April 28, 2012, 12:46:44 pm »

A Cave Dragon wandered into the caverns and took out two clowns. His fat is all melted off and he's Pale, so he probably won't take any more out, but still! Awesome!

Edit: He just got a third, and his bruises are all healed. He's got two limbs "burned" in his 'z' screen, and still Pale, but wow! Cave Dragons are beastly! I wish I could capture a breeding pair..
My second goblin siege on my plain vanilla volcano embark has brought something like six cave dragons, so maybe I'll try capturing those. I've also got a regular dragon on the map, but he showed up before the siege, broiled the rutherers I'd trained, and then got caught in a cage trap. The goblins are actually heading towards the caged dragon. I wonder what will happen...

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22261 on: April 28, 2012, 01:04:39 pm »

Hello!

Encouraged by the claim in the General DF forum that the next update will be about a month from now, I have started my big project... very slowly :) :) Since I am writing down all relevant data, I am still basically in frame 1. I have already designated some wood cutting and plant gathering as well as setting some traffic areas (5x5 with a bit of lake and brook or river, that means a lot of restricted traffic areas :) :) :) ).

I think I need to read up on the technical stuff, though. I thought that designating areas actually made an entire frame happen with each press of the RETURN key, but as far as I can tell, the dwarves have not been moving much yet (I recall them moving every 10 frames by default, but that information may also be old).

The controls of the game are lagging quite a lot - I suppose I should try to find out whether this is because I set the FPS limit to 1 or whether the 5x5 embark (which is unusually big for me) is draining away at things. Oddly enough, the graphical FPS go down to 0 along with the FPS, even though the init file has the graphical set to 25 as usual... and reading the init file, the FPS limit should not really influence the interface - so maybe it really is the embark....

Anyhow, I hope to get something really going in a few days time. The world I genned has some nice deities for the dwarves, and my initial seven aren't that bad (although I have very few with real artistic ambitions, which counters my playstyle).

Yours,
Deathworks

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22262 on: April 28, 2012, 01:50:11 pm »

The Rustic RabbitHut
04) Spring Growing - Part 1
05) Spring Growing - Part 2

Butchering the 2nd Yak goes fine too.
In fact, I wonder if the 2nd Yak slaughter chamber is under a good-biome part.
Maybe nothing will rise-from-the-dead in this chamber ?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And I get that funny error message too when a dwarf partial-deconstructs something.
In order to control where an animal is slaughtered, I have to forbid/mark-for-deconstruct all the other butcher rooms.
But this one I forgot to lock it.

The mechanic (with help) finally links up all the floodgates to flood my farm.
I have 2 floodgates: the one at the farm and the one above the farm (where we will open the pool).
So one dwarf goes to mine-open the spot to release the murky pool, and the other goes to close the top-floodgate immediately after.
I only want the farm to flood, not the floor above it.

My timing is perfect. No water was lost on top-side, everything is draining into the farm.

However, my dwarves never have time to clear out a huge farm, so once again the farm starts flooding too-much-too-fast.
Sigh, move the seeds, close the floodgate, and let the water spread elsewhere.

My miners are busy, because I'm on a time limit.
Once summer hits us, migrants will clog the surface. If they get zombifyed up there, I'll be in trouble.
So my miners start working on migrant tubes, and I use burrows to help them focus.

Otome is now novice in mason/mechanic. Not a moment too soon.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22263 on: April 28, 2012, 02:48:21 pm »

Started using a mod called "Legends of Forlorn Realm". When I embark, the first thing I notice is that instead of having 2 copper battle axes by default in the items section, it's two great axes.

Then, when I embark, my designated Militarydwarf is apparently a Master Bowyer prodigy. What that is I have no idea, but I will try to find out sooner than later.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Superior_Tomato

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm waiting. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #22264 on: April 28, 2012, 02:56:20 pm »

Bowyer prodigy is a caste who has natural skill in bowyering (or whatever) and should be around Master in bowyering, and still have the other skills you embarked with. You can get Prodigies in quite a few skills, (Armoursmith prodigy ftw) though there seems to be an abundance of bowyer prodigies, atleast from my experiences.
'Course with Dwarf Fortress, the only relevant question is, "How far away will the ASCII gibs splash on landing?"
5 squares per limb, if you raise the north orthoclase bridge before sacrificing one of them so they have a straight shot to the bottom of the chasm.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22265 on: April 28, 2012, 03:03:09 pm »

Thanks. In that case, Marksdwarf Army, I choose you! Also, everyone's having a drinking party after I finished bypassing the aquifier, no doubt drinking to their luck at having only a 1 layer aquifier (Sometimes it's two or even three, and the cave-in method to bypass the wouldn't work). And by a drinking party, I just mean they're all taking a drink at the same time, it's not an actual party.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22266 on: April 28, 2012, 03:19:47 pm »

F*ck. Turns out aquifier is more than 1 layer. I usually don't try to dig so close to the Z-level of the aquifier, but I had found the first cavern layer must sooner than I had expected, so I digged a few Z-levels away from the cavern area.

Que my entire construction site being ruined as I miserably attempt to wall off the water, and rage-abadoning.

Well, let's try again!

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22267 on: April 28, 2012, 04:01:43 pm »

A Cave Dragon wandered into the caverns and took out two clowns. His fat is all melted off and he's Pale, so he probably won't take any more out, but still! Awesome!

Edit: He just got a third, and his bruises are all healed. He's got two limbs "burned" in his 'z' screen, and still Pale, but wow! Cave Dragons are beastly! I wish I could capture a breeding pair..
My second goblin siege on my plain vanilla volcano embark has brought something like six cave dragons, so maybe I'll try capturing those. I've also got a regular dragon on the map, but he showed up before the siege, broiled the rutherers I'd trained, and then got caught in a cage trap. The goblins are actually heading towards the caged dragon. I wonder what will happen...
Nothing happened to the goblins or the caged dragon, yet. The eight war cave dragons, however, were a bust: most of them were slaughtered by the serrated iron disks. Two were hanging out near the main gate, so I opened the gate to try to lure them towards the line of backup cage traps inside my safe area. Caught one, but the other was on a rampage and had to be killed; took several casualties before it was finally put down. Meanwhile, every baby in the fort decided the open gate was a signal to head for the refuse pile. Took a while to get them back inside.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22268 on: April 28, 2012, 04:02:05 pm »

A marksdwarf threw a tantrum. . .and continued her archery practice. Why can't other dwarves follow this example?
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22269 on: April 28, 2012, 04:47:45 pm »

Can someone PLEASE dump this last stone that's been lying here for a YEAR so I can finish this section !? Curse these dorfs !

*Combat Report incoming*

A giant musquito forgotten beast is on a rampage in the living quarters
ZOMG where did that come from ?!

*Sends his army down there from their usual place near the gate*

AMBUSH ! Right at the gate and my army is gone ! OMG so much blood !

As the musquito is killed and my army is rushed back up and killing the goblins suddenly I notice that my population is dropping like a stone.

A GCS has killed 15 dorfs inside of a minute. O_o

Read much about them but never had one visit. Sadly I had to kill it to recover the bodies.

Classic 'accidentally breached the cavern' action.

In other news, we're a barony now yay.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:52:45 pm by LuckyLuigi »
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22270 on: April 28, 2012, 04:56:33 pm »

A were-giraffe cave fish woman ran onto my map, killed a fisher, and was ripped apart by dogs after turning back.
A giant dingo killed my only military member.

I put the artifact cabinet in the meeting hall. Hopefully that will cheer things up.

Edit:

Whoah!
I was mining out a section of marble for later use as flux and mined through wall into a deep pit.

You have discovered a deep pit.
You have discovered an expansive cavern.
You have discovered a downward passage.

I'm used to mining downwards into the caverns vertically, not horizontally..
This is... cool.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 05:52:07 pm by MasterMorality »

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22271 on: April 28, 2012, 06:03:59 pm »

The Rustic RabbitHut
05) Spring Growing - Part 2
06) Spring Growing - Part 3

Need to get migrant tubes and a farm setup pronto.
The zombie sparrow men above ground won't hesitate.
Crap, I haven't even made battle axes for my militia yet.

So I have finally cleared out a workshop area. It gets a Carpentry Shop, a Wood Furnace, and a Tanner's Shop.
I notice that chamber #2 hasn't got any undead yet, so I send a militia to grab the skin and tan it.
Turns out the room is still evil and the hair later rises, but I get one leather so yay.

Tear-down the Carpentry Shop to make a Mason's shop.
Militia go to make floodgates for the migrant tubes because my Mason/Mechanic Otome is too busy with the mechanisms.
Since I don't have any free rooms, I will make the Workshop Room into the Lever-Control area for now.

The 4 floodgates are done, but mechanisms are still being made.
Militia goes from Masonry to Farming, because we are getting short on booze.

Charcoal is just now finished for militia's axes.
We get 1 Plump-Helmet seed in the ground.

It is now summer.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22272 on: April 28, 2012, 08:03:25 pm »

Zzark, I'm beginning to think you should make a new topic purely for your RabbitHut forts. :D
It's almost like a succession game with you as the only person!

Anyway, as for Sabreheals...

Four goblin snatchers were detected during the elven caravan. Old Sabreheals Gate was sealed up to prevent their escape.

The first one, Stozu McNormalThief ran around in circles before being bisected by our M.COM.
The second one, Snodub McMasterThief killed a fishery worker, and injured another fishery worker before being taken down.
The third managed to steal a child but was killed in the escape; yay boost to happiness for baby and mother and father!
And the last one, after the elves went to leave, found his route blocked and started fighting with the elven caravan yak, then got his head kicked in. The elves promptly ran out into a storm of infernal ash and started dying, but not before they made it off the map.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22273 on: April 28, 2012, 08:07:45 pm »

I checked for a "stories" sub-forum, but the only one is a Community Stories one, so I don't think my stuff goes there.
That place is for community based things no?

I think I may start wrapping more chapters into one post.
That way I don't spam this thread as much, but still get all the details in.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22274 on: April 28, 2012, 08:20:53 pm »

Technically speaking, your fort would fit into Community Stories with a bit of tweaking; if you took the fort and wrote it from the start as a story. That'd be epic.
Pages: 1 ... 1483 1484 [1485] 1486 1487 ... 3836