Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1486 1487 [1488] 1489 1490 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5864270 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22305 on: April 29, 2012, 09:55:44 am »

I think green glass is my new favorite material. With a Grand Master Glassmaker, fucktons of haulers, and magma glass furnaces, I can make almost everything useful, in a magma-safe material, for no cost but dorf labor. Almost everything because I can't make beds out of glass, unfortunately, because I decided to make the monarch's rooms. Since I can't pick the monarch according to appropriate favorite materials, I'm going to have to magma one that likes slade or whatever like I decide to magma the king for. I can make everything the twerp wants out of glass except the bed, though, so it'll still be largely salvagable if I do pull the lever.

Also, green glass = fr33 serrated discs.  8)

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #22306 on: April 29, 2012, 09:57:51 am »

Managed to survive long enough to have my first siege ever for any of my forts, by a necromancer and around 30 or so zombies.  During the chaos the necromancer was caught in a cage, and I released me horribly unarmed and unarmored just drafted dwarves to beat the zombies to death.  First I stationed the marksdwarves behind the gate, when it opened, approximately 3/4 of the zombies were gunned down before they could even get past the four tile bridge, then while the archers were being mauled, I sent my wrestlers to start crushing skulls.  They decided protection wasn't enough, and went outside to start killing everything within range. 

None of it mattered though, because winter set in and we were out of booze, and when I tried to dig down, I couldn't find a single cavern all the way down to z-level -29  :'(

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22307 on: April 29, 2012, 10:12:16 am »

Ignoring mandates and my mayor altogether, and I've added a few coffins to compensate. Instead I'm focusing on getting general rooms ready, 10 along different walls, and 3 stories high. 90 3x3 rooms should be enough before I start building things like town halls and such...

I got a progressing alpaca farm, used for cheese and wool, and a fair-sized war-dog training ground. Well, compact, but fair sized for how much room I have available.

My next projects are to finish the apartments, lined the entire top wall with cage traps (damn keas... I'm giong to tame those freaking birds), and clear out the trees that keep blocking caravan carts.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22308 on: April 29, 2012, 10:19:29 am »

Doing a dry run (heh)  of the water clock for my megaproject.  For once I'm trying to get the water to flow at a slower rate rather than faster.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22309 on: April 29, 2012, 10:50:56 am »

Ònul Domaskokeb, Strand Extractor cancels Extract Metal Strands: Needs raw adamantine.

Well now.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22310 on: April 29, 2012, 11:12:14 am »

So I made appropriate lodgings for the monarch. I haven't fitted it with magma plumbing but that will come in time. Now, all I need to do is wait for the dwarven caravan, dump 7500☼ worth of mugs on it as an offering to the Mountainhome, and I am golden.

Oh, I should probably make a lavish jail.

Lolwut, human diplomat. In Autumn. (And it's actually human and not a beast or demon, more's the wtfery.) Still, the dwarven caravan has arrived as expected so I'll proceed as normal.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:25:42 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22311 on: April 29, 2012, 01:35:09 pm »

For my entire Dorfin' history, I've never once noticed that. My challenge : Raise this child from this day forward to a death by old age.

SO HELP ME, MY WILL SHALL BE DONE, OR THIS CHILD WILL SUFFER FOR IT.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22312 on: April 29, 2012, 01:56:16 pm »

Spoiler: snip (click to show/hide)

For my entire Dorfin' history, I've never once noticed that. My challenge : Raise this child from this day forward to a death by old age.

SO HELP ME, MY WILL SHALL BE DONE, OR THIS CHILD WILL SUFFER FOR IT.

Good luck!

My current goal is just to get my fort to Mountainhome status. Also to successfully create a dwarven checkerboard to clear out Hell so I can use the addy, but mostly Mountainhome.

EDIT: Y'know what's really annoying? When the second cavern of two turns out to be right in the middle of your dwarven checkerboard plans. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. I'll probably be able to manage, I've got four levels between the bottom of the cavern and the magma sea, but that's exactly how much zspace the board needs and I just know I'm going to be beset by damp/warm cancel spam because of the cavern lake above and magma below.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 02:31:42 pm by Lielac »

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22313 on: April 29, 2012, 02:39:58 pm »

The Rustic RabbitHut

07) Acceleration is Easy at Low Speeds
08) Guard Duty activate

My 3 militia are all novice growers, helps avoid "relieved of duty".
And I get a message about raining. Maybe it will re-fill the murky pool that my farm used.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Got my stone stockpile dumped next to the workshop room.
Got no spare time for dwarves until I get migrants. Everyone is planting,dumping,mining,brewing,crafting,breaking,etc...

Speaking of migrants, they come.

A couple and their one daughter. They get in through Migrant Tube #1 just as Wild Boar Corpses spawn on on other side of map.
I wish there was more migrants. I need more dwarves.
I convert them to one brewer and one stonecrafter and everyone is still hella busy.

I finally get the militia going with their bronze battle axes.
They celebrate by sparring. Next for them is armor, because they are rusty in armor skill.

The child is helping me pick all the plants from my fields. Very good.
And wow I'm glad the migrants came earlier, there's a tone of death outside for some reason right now.

Lastly, I take that one leather from earlier and I make a bag.
I will need more bags to hold all my seeds.
Otherwise, the dwarves put one plump-helmet-seed in each bag and then all the other seeds don't fit anywhere.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 06:40:48 am by ZzarkLinux »

AfroScotsDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • AfroScotsDwarf, the scotish cyclops with a thirst
    • View Profile
« Reply #22314 on: April 29, 2012, 02:59:49 pm »

recently forgot to dissarm a practice goblin for my dwarves to flail at. it ended in one of my dwarves losing an arm. shame, that.
"i would rather consume nutrition which has become FUKIN MAED GON HOT BY DA FIRE." Edward on hot food
 ಠ_ೃ

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
  • WERE GOING TO LIVE :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22315 on: April 29, 2012, 03:02:44 pm »

whats going on in my fort you say?

well  10 ... miner faints 9 ... 8 soldiers are beating up a cave crocodile in a cave and 1 was injured and the other was important so its 8 people beating up a cave crocodile and no other were injured besides the crocodile.the crocodile had about more that 100 injuries and is sleeping from a few hits in the head and is not nearly dead .after a hour still not nearly dead so i disbanded them because some other creatures were stealing my stuff he got through the children and animals at the front door, then i told them to go and kill the crocodile. i told them to get weapons before the crocodile had 100 injuries but they just kept on beating it so when they came back with weapons in one second the crocodile is dead.funny thing is... i set the speed for dwarfs to 1.and now i have a miner that has a speed of a really slow dwarf.
Edit. Oh Jesus Christ, Necro would be proud. The second horse in the caravan came in and immediately caught on fire. I looked into his inventory and found a burning pig tail fiber bag. Curious, I looked inside.
quote above is by yuriruler90

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #22316 on: April 29, 2012, 03:11:24 pm »

I've got a goblin siege that's come to a dead halt around the river on the western side of the map as they form up around their swimming/drowned leaders and just sit there, a freshly dead vampire who was the first victim of the dwarven justice system, a troll in a cage, and a deranged !!science!! project to produce a chicken-based weapon, just because I think it'll be funny. And very, very messy.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22317 on: April 29, 2012, 03:13:53 pm »

How was my month, you ask?

Digging designation cancelled: damp stone located.

Soggy and heavily micromanaged. How was yours?

1/2 tanks dug out, starting on the second one now (18th Granite 105). The only way I survived digging directly under the lake was through having turned off pause-on-damp-stone.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22318 on: April 29, 2012, 03:25:48 pm »

Spoiler: snip (click to show/hide)

Thanks. Narrow cavern layers can be a pain. I've dug 1/3 the entire distance of my map, and haven't even bumped into the first layer yet :d

Oh, and my resevoir has been filling up for two years now. Still not full. I think I might have over done it just a *tad* bit.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22319 on: April 29, 2012, 04:13:43 pm »

I've embarked on a Terrifying biome. It's currently raining frozen dwarf blood (Snow's still on the ground), and I'm trying to get everything form the wagon underground before the undead grasshopper parts get close enough to hurt someone. Eventually I might be able to make an atomsmasher simply for the sake of smashing dead parts, but for now I simply have to hope I can try to survive without going to the surface (With the exception of wood).
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.
Pages: 1 ... 1486 1487 [1488] 1489 1490 ... 3836