Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1494 1495 [1496] 1497 1498 ... 3836

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5865092 times)

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22425 on: May 02, 2012, 06:38:29 pm »

I now have a breeding pair of Cougars. Excellent.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22426 on: May 02, 2012, 06:47:39 pm »

The Rustic RabbitHut

10) Good Times lead to Fun
11) Slugging Stone Around

Last time, my migrant wave spawned next to 3 slug man corpses.
Seemed like havok for the migrant wave.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Originally I decide to keep my militia back, but after a few moments I send them out.
The slug corpses are charging the migrants.

Then, I don't know what happened.
One of the slug-man corpses has disappeared.

I check the units screen, and indeed there are only 2 slugman corpses left.
And the migrants seem to be making it past the two undead I can see.

Eventually, checking the combat reports shows:
The dwarf counterstrikes. The Dwarf punches the Slug Man Corpse in the body, bruising the muscle
I guess it vaporized the thing.
And one of the remaining slugman corpses looks like this:

Slug man corpse. Upper body is gone.
What is it? An undead cup-o-soup ??

When the militia arrives, one axedwarf kills a second slug-corpse so easily he doesn't even get
the unhappy thought "attacked by the undead".

Eventually, I decide to let the 3rd corpse live. All the migrants and livestock are out-running the corpse.
I kinda feel sorry for it :(

Since the 3rd corpse is in NE quadrant, I open the SE Migrant Tube to let everyone inside
and to start lumberjacking while the surface is "less than threatening".

The migrant wave is still small-ish, only 9 dwarves and 3 livestock. Looks like I'll need butcher chambers.
From the migrants, I get a Broker and a Farmer. The rest of the adults go on Mason duty.
I got plans for the surface world.

Picture of fort ground for now.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:08:27 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22427 on: May 02, 2012, 06:58:17 pm »

Just had my 2nd snatching. Swordsdwarf was ONE TILE away from the goblin when he got off the map :(

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #22428 on: May 02, 2012, 07:12:45 pm »

Setting up catapult range for siege training. Playing masterwork with almost all civs on(I left two out, undead and frogmen, because they seem to expand too quickly, leaving not enough room for the others.)so, !!FUN!!. I also hired some goblins as interior decorators(that is to say, I decorated with their interiors), so my fort is going well. No real threats yet. I have plans to raise an undead army with a droven bonerattle. This is going to backfire miserablyawesomely.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22429 on: May 02, 2012, 07:54:03 pm »

I just started a new fort.

Dug down ONE layer into the hillside.

"You have struck magnetite!"

That was fast
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22430 on: May 02, 2012, 07:56:52 pm »

Aaaaand now I just struck Platinum. Today must be my lucky day.

EDIT: So,of course, I accidently stranded my miner down there with no way to get back up.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 08:00:54 pm by Chagen46 »
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22431 on: May 02, 2012, 10:53:14 pm »

Just had a "Poisonous gas" fb. All seemed fine, no contaminents on the dwarf, now the bearer of my artifact candy axe is nauseous.. hope it doesn't get worse. All the squad is going to get hosed down in my pressure wash room.

Edit: Bearer of the God-Axe is unconscious.. luckily she chose to drop down NOT on top of my serrated disc trap. Oh and, the human caravan showed up right after the FB was slain, bringing an ambush with it, while my entire military is quarantined in the pressure wash.

Edit2: It seems to have passed quickly. It's a good warning though that I need to rethink my deployment strategy against such beasts. I'm sure some clowns have nasty surprises like that
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:21:49 pm by Daenyth »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22432 on: May 02, 2012, 11:43:58 pm »

Working on the control room for my megaproject.  Interactive map for the Spire's magma weapons and power supplies, water clock counter behind glass windows, and automated readouts on magma levels in the storage tank as it's used for both workshops and killing unwanted visitors.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22433 on: May 03, 2012, 12:01:10 am »

Got my captain of the guard.

His squad is named the "boots of respect"

He will get a palace to live in.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22434 on: May 03, 2012, 12:08:51 am »

There are trilobite men in the caverns. Dozens, perhaps hundreds, of them. I'm afraid, really.

I really need to rethink their raws...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22435 on: May 03, 2012, 12:09:08 am »

Got my captain of the guard.

His squad is named the "boots of respect"

He will get a palace to live in.

"Respect me, or you'll feel my boot!"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22436 on: May 03, 2012, 12:43:39 am »

The puppies hanging out in my meeting area are spontaneously dying of blood loss, and I have no idea why. :o

HIT THE PANIC BUTTON!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22437 on: May 03, 2012, 01:04:47 am »

Hooking up the water clock to the sacrificial bridge now.  Then I just have seal the waterlock over the clock and it'll be untouchable.  Also got the control level of the chasm fort mostly done save for a few last-minute ideas, and then I've gotta do the magma weapons and dig out the last three layers of fort so it's properly suspended.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22438 on: May 03, 2012, 01:14:17 am »

Looks like I've finally managed to design a pretty stable fort.
A lot of the previous ones, to be fair, died to chronic FPS loss and acute program crashes before the stability fixes in v 0.34 and fiddling around with my Windows (yeah, I know) memory and CPU usage settings a bit.

The only actual problem is subterranean wildlife randomly murdering my lumberjacks, but I think that could be rectified with a few well-placed walls...
Also, extensive mining operations have started in cavern layer 2, lots of delicious garnierite down there just waiting to be forged into bins.
My nobles still don't have any offices or above-average quarters / dining rooms, though. I'll probably want to look into that next.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22439 on: May 03, 2012, 08:00:35 am »

Earthmastered is hard at work clearing hunderds of stones for our next expansion phase...

Now that all the water on the map is stagnant infection and death are rampant. My attempts to solve it using pumps have failed  :'(.
I finally got a breeding pair or turkeys  :D which immediately got killed by rampaging tantrumming dwarves  >:(.
Alpaca breeding program is going excellent on the other hand  :).
We're down about 30 dwarves since the last tantrum spiral but we seem to slowly be recovering.
The 2nd vampire has disappeared. A bit of a mystery. There was so much fighting I lost track.
I've produced a gigantic amount of fairly useless Dwarven Sugar instead of the Dwarven Rum I wanted. You were supposed to mill wheat ! :-[
I remember it was possible to fiddle with workshops, what materials/quality they use, but I can't figure out how I did it  :-\.
Sold hundreds of items lying around and gained 5 FPS :P

Any tips on filtering useable/unuseable and worn/not-worn clothing ?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:02:37 am by LuckyLuigi »
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !
Pages: 1 ... 1494 1495 [1496] 1497 1498 ... 3836